Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Official LBJ FA Thread

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Official LBJ FA Thread

Unread postby waborat » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:41 pm

Maybe THE (only) best thing Bryant Gumbel's ever said:

http://cavs.ohio.com/2010/07/bryant-gum ... on-lebron/

“Finally tonight, a few words about championship rings. Just when did they become the all-important barometer of who does or doesn’t count in sports? When did they supersede personal excellence or exemplary character as a standard of greatness?

“I got to thinking about that the other night after the self-anointed chosen one, LeBron James, embarrassed himself as he tried to make his decision to seek rings in Miami sound like a search for the Holy Grail. It’s when he essentially admitted to placing a higher priority on winning than anything else.

“LeBron’s decision is typical of our immediate gratification era, but it flies in the face of history. Even though he never won a title, Dan Marino is still the biggest hero in Florida. And in Boston, all those Celtics championships are dimmed by the unforgettable brilliance of Ted Williams, who never won anything. In Chicago, Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus have legendary status despite playing on losing teams. And even in the NBA, where guys seem obsessed with being viewed as ‘the man’, real men like Barkley, Ewing and Baylor are ringless, but revered.

“Despite such evidence to the contrary, LeBron James seems to think he needs a ring to change his life and secure his legacy. Maybe he’ll get one, maybe he won’t, but it’s probable that no amount of rings will ever remove the stench he wallowed in last week. LeBron may yet find that in the court of public opinion, just as putting on a tux can’t make a guy a gentleman, winning a ring can’t make one truly a champion.”
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby jerryroche » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:52 pm

he truth starts to come out that LeQuit has been an A-#1 asshole since he's come into the league. No wonder he didn't get any quality playing time during the 2004 Olympics -- Larry Brown probably couldn't stomach him.

See this great article from Yahoo...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtxQkNbv5x6qi48SNkXZzGY5nYcB?slug=aw-heatfreeagency071610
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:19 pm

Ol' No.11 wrote:The truth starts to come out that LeQuit has been an A-#1 asshole since he's come into the league. No wonder he didn't get any quality playing time during the 2004 Olympics -- Larry Brown probably couldn't stomach him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtxQkNbv5x6qi48SNkXZzGY5nYcB?slug=aw-heatfreeagency071610

Best NBA guy out there, always brings it and tells it like it is, really love his stuff this summer.

It all begs the question, is the Cavaliers franchise better off for having LeBron for the past 7 years, or was that more detrimental to the overall future of basketball in CLEVEland?

If we would have won it all then of course you could come back and defend an answer of yes, but we didn't win anything, so.........
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:22 pm

Seriously, first this dipshit posts an article that is already linked eight posts later and in two different threads and then you drop the exact same reply in both threads.

LOL
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Relax, I caught it. Firefox crashed on me for the 658th time in 2 months and I lost track of where I was in here.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:35 pm

That's because Firefox blows.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby tired » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks for posting that FUDU !!!
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:34 am

Ol' No.11 wrote:he truth starts to come out that LeQuit has been an A-#1 asshole since he's come into the league. No wonder he didn't get any quality playing time during the 2004 Olympics -- Larry Brown probably couldn't stomach him.

I think one has to look at these pictures while playing "Tiny Dancer" in one's head:

Especially the one with the roses. Savannah must've been so jealous.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby CharacterIV » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:52 pm

Decided not to open a new thread for this, everyone will likely see it anyway.

The Ombudsman Speaketh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... id=5397113

It's the same ground thats been covered by every blogger in the universe, but this may be the first official response from the office of Ombudsmanry down Bristol way...
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:39 pm

CharacterIV wrote:Decided not to open a new thread for this, everyone will likely see it anyway.

The Ombudsman Speaketh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... id=5397113

It's the same ground thats been covered by every blogger in the universe, but this may be the first official response from the office of Ombudsmanry down Bristol way...

I have never heard that term before now, looked it up, is this a commonly known/used term?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby CharacterIV » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:17 pm

JCoz wrote:I have never heard that term before now, looked it up, is this a commonly known/used term?

Pretty much only in a governmental/corporate/political sense. It's also a traditional position for newspapers, college adminisitration, stuff like that. I just enjoy it because it's such a funny word. Scandinavian in origin, I think.

Classic reference that sticks with me: Bloom County, the lovable penguin protagonist Opus enters his new job as the Bloom Picayune's Ombudsman. The question is asked, "why is the position called that?" We are shown why in the final frame when a frazzled Opus, gasping from a day's stress of dealing with complaints from readers, exclaims: "Oh, somebody get me a bud, man!"

I do love me some Bloom County.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby waborat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:46 pm

CharacterIV wrote:I do love me some Bloom County.

T'Ain't corn, it's dope...

Here, take some home :lmfao:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA