Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

The Rebuild

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: The Rebuild

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:17 pm

I love the Brewer and Reddick deals, fair money for good guards.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:30 am

Windy still pushing the idea that we eventually make a deal with Kahn and the Timberwolves. Now not only mentioning Sessions, but the newly arrived Kosta Koufos as part of a deal. Love Sessions, eh on Koufos, outside of the fact he may have upside and is tall.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:43 am

Orenthal wrote:Windy still pushing the idea that we eventually make a deal with Kahn and the Timberwolves. Now not only mentioning Sessions, but the newly arrived Kosta Koufos as part of a deal. Love Sessions, eh on Koufos, outside of the fact he may have upside and is tall.

Great. Z finally leaves and we get his less talented Greek step brother. Canton. Buckeyes. Sure to be a fan favorite for the next 10 mediocre years. Maybe even a "Cleveland sports institution"

Fuck me.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby CP » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:09 am

If Kahn wants to throw Koufos in a trade, screw all you, I'd take him. He's a 21 yr old, 7 ft center. He can at least stretch the floor a bit with a jump shot. Bigs sometimes take years to develop and he came out 2-3 years too early (developmentally). Has no injury history that I can recall.

Acting like you build around him is laughable; he serves a purpose as a rotating, developmental big.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:57 am

I understand Matt's point. All depends on the terms of any deal...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:10 pm

CP wrote:If Kahn wants to throw Koufos in a trade, screw all you, I'd take him. He's a 21 yr old, 7 ft center. He can at least stretch the floor a bit with a jump shot. Bigs sometimes take years to develop and he came out 2-3 years too early (developmentally). Has no injury history that I can recall.

Acting like you build around him is laughable; he serves a purpose as a rotating, developmental big.

Easy there CP. KK=Z is just a bit of satire to get your Sunday morning off to a good start. I still could see a completely irrational love affair with this guy by generic Cleveland fan, however.
mattvan1

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:15 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
CP wrote:If Kahn wants to throw Koufos in a trade, screw all you, I'd take him. He's a 21 yr old, 7 ft center. He can at least stretch the floor a bit with a jump shot. Bigs sometimes take years to develop and he came out 2-3 years too early (developmentally). Has no injury history that I can recall.

Easy there CP. KK=Z is just a bit of satire to get your Sunday morning off to a good start. I still could see a completely irrational love affair with this guy by generic Cleveland fan, however.

SD:

Yepper , we're about as susceptible now as a 16 year old rebounding from her
first heart throb loss.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Honestly, Kahn should trade Koufos, just because he is already paying $33MM for two other shitty Euro centers.

As for us grabbing him, feh. I could care less one way or another.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby CP » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:03 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Easy there CP. KK=Z is just a bit of satire to get your Sunday morning off to a good start. I still could see a completely irrational love affair with this guy by generic Cleveland fan, however.

I hear you, wasn't replying to just you. Koufos was brought up in another thread as well, and was summarily trashed there as basically not worthy of existing on a rebuilding NBA roster. I just disagree and think he's the right type of guy to bring here due to his age, size, and potential for developing a skill-set that isn't that easy to come across.
CP

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Koufos had plenty of chances in Utah and his attitude kept getting him sent to the D-League

That said, yeah you can do worse for a third big.

But EOD, he still doesn't matter.

He still has s h i t for hands, is still soft as hell and still is a gaping vagina w/ serious head-case issues.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:15 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:28 pm

CP wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:Easy there CP. KK=Z is just a bit of satire to get your Sunday morning off to a good start. I still could see a completely irrational love affair with this guy by generic Cleveland fan, however.

I hear you, wasn't replying to just you. Koufos was brought up in another thread as well, and was summarily trashed there as basically not worthy of existing on a rebuilding NBA roster. I just disagree and think he's the right type of guy to bring here due to his age, size, and potential for developing a skill-set that isn't that easy to come across.

SD:

Since we have zero as in nada a person on this roster to fit the true center spot limited cap space
and no ammo to trade for better , a flyer on a clunker still beats a leap into a dry pool.

If he can leap two inches off the floor and doesn't spend the next three years inactive recovering
from foot surgery he'll be a better investment than "Z" when you factor in actual contributions
in his early career.

Better than a dead body until we can replace him with better or allow enough time to see if he can develop.

He's worth 6 fouls netting Howard fouls to the grill Andy won't have to take.

SoulDawg

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby CP » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:01 pm

From Finnan today: http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2010/07/18/sports/nh2786330.txt

NOTE: Before people go all red-ass here, it's not Finnan I'm quoting but Byron Scott.
Another year playing in Spain is not going to do any good for Christian Eyenga. There are some observers who think he needs to sign with the Cavs this year. The Cavs say they haven't decided yet.

But maybe they have.

"He's a work in progress," Scott said. "I love the way he's progressing. He's learning. This is very important for him. When we get to veteran's camp, that will speed up his progress."

Seems like they're at least leaning toward bringing Eyenga over. I assume to put him in camp and then send him to the D-League to get major minutes.
CP

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:17 pm

They absolutely, 100% should bring him over.

No reason to not give him NBA minutes now, since we are in rebuild. Better to teach him the trade itself then the Euro version of it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby CP » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:32 pm

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16853

I know little of the writer for Hoopsworld, but seems to indicate Cavs are frontrunners for Sessions and that it's basically a Sessions/Koufos for West swap. Could do much worse than a 24 yr old PG and 21 yr old C for a guy who isn't going to be on the team next season.
CP

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:37 am

CP wrote:http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16853

I know little of the writer for Hoopsworld, but seems to indicate Cavs are frontrunners for Sessions and that it's basically a Sessions/Koufos for West swap. Could do much worse than a 24 yr old PG and 21 yr old C for a guy who isn't going to be on the team next season.

I'd do that deal, even with Koufos involved (who I could care less about, wasn't impressed at OSU and he couldn't even see the floor in Utah). I haven't seen much of Sessions; is he more of a Mo, penetrating, shoot-first PG or does he actually have PG chops? Can they work together with Mo as the shooting guard?
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:48 pm

Starting backcourt next year might be Sessions and Matt Barnes, with Mo either coming off the bench or being traded.

I'd like to see Gilbert and Grant keep an open mind toward bringing in Richard Jefferson. Windy reported that Jefferson does have an interest in coming to the Cavs, probably because Byron Scott is here.

Jefferson wants a long-term deal and the Cavs don't really want a half-decade of a guy who just turned 30. That's understandable. But if it gets toward September and Jefferson still doesn't find a long-term deal to his liking, that might be the time for the Cavs to swoop in and try to get him for three years or less.

If Gilbert is serious about circumventing a total rebuild, he'll need a go-to scorer like Jefferson. He did slip to 12 PPG last year, but because he was playing behind the Spurs' big three. Make him the first or second option, and he can still give you 19-21 PPG.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Calis32 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:57 pm

I thought Matt Barnes was more of a SF than a SG. If so, you'd probably see Mo & Barnes both starting with Mo as the 2.
Phil Taylor blocked me for telling him to get to training camp. F*** that guy.
Calis32

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:11 pm

Calis32 wrote:I thought Matt Barnes was more of a SF than a SG. If so, you'd probably see Mo & Barnes both starting with Mo as the 2.

Mo is 6'-1". If he's not starting as a 1, he's not starting.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:45 pm

papacass wrote:
Calis32 wrote:I thought Matt Barnes was more of a SF than a SG. If so, you'd probably see Mo & Barnes both starting with Mo as the 2.

Mo is 6'-1". If he's not starting as a 1, he's not starting.

Yeah, the Mo/Sessions, or even Mo/Boobie backcourt that Byron Scott (we need a nickname for him) insanely alluded to would be a fiasco defensively ... especially with the size and scoring ability of the 2's in the East right now.

Bottom line, Mo Williams is a huge liability defensively. Teams began picking on him at 2008 Damon Jones like levels this past season. He needs to be at like 17 and 9 or score 20+ a game to be a net positive on the floor for 35 minutes a night. He'd be a much better fit for a team that really likes to get out and run (not just say they want to like we are) and consistently plays in the 100's. I'd love to see the Cavs deal him.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby fundamentals » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Matt Barnes is now a Toronto Raptor per ESPN. :spanky:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby CP » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:18 pm

Good for Barnes. $5 mil/year for a 30 yr old SF with a limited offensive game is exactly what the Cavs did not need.
CP

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:35 am

Looks like it's not a done deal just yet.
WojYahooNBA For Matt Barnes-to-Toronto, a league source says, "The sign and trade (scenario) is dead." Blamed on a "miscalculation" somewhere in talks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5393637
Sources told ESPN.com that the teams will resume discussions Tuesday, as planned all along, with the intent of landing Barnes with the Raptors via sign-and-trade.

Yet no such deal could be assured as of midnight, raising the possibility that Barnes would have to accept new terms to sign with the Raptors or that other teams that have been chasing Barnes will get another shot at him if the deal collapses.

Since Toronto recently spent the bulk of its $5.8 million mid-level exception to sign Linas Kleiza, it doesn't have the available funds to sign Barnes outright to a deal that starts in the neighborhood of $4 million.

The Magic, though, are prevented by salary-cap rules from starting a sign-and-trade deal for Barnes at higher than $2 million, because Orlando doesn't have Barnes' full Bird rights after employing him for only one season. A sign-and-trade deal would also have to span at least three years, although only the first year is required to be guaranteed
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Barnes is a decent complimentary peice on a team that has scorers at the 2 guard or PF position. (Orlando and Phoenix were great choices) At this point, if you put him, parker, and AV on the floor together it would be an absolute abortion, regardless of the PF and PG.

I'd prefer to see Boobie traded, as his game running the point is sub-par and we don't need a bevvy of shooters to space the floor for LeQuit. Sessions/Telfair at the point with Mo and Twan coming off the bench to provide scoring wouldn't be horrible, and might effectively manage Mo's defensive shortcomings. (Provided they can get a SF/SG in free agency that can score and play defense)

Lots of options, but limited by the amount of players available. Would have loved me some Reddick or Morrow at the 2.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Please God someone explain to me how signing Barnes makes any sense? He doesn't make the massive difference in wins that dictate any future move, isn't young, and would be duplicating in most regards two guys you already have on the roster (Moon and Parker)

This makes less sense then taking fliers on guys that you flip at the trade deadline. Less sense the bringing Shaq back on board. ::doh:: :gah:
Orenthal

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:54 pm

FWIW Eyenga is in Cleveland. I like this kid, hope he figures it all out.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:55 pm

Eyenga make 1,000 times more sense then Barnes.
Orenthal

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:13 pm

Orenthal wrote:Eyenga make 1,000 times more sense then Barnes.

No way, man. I'll take "Bad News" any day of the week.
mattvan1

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Why not set your sights on this Barnes? :hide:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... rnes-67225
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:29 pm

^Tru dat. Watching the last few weeks of Cavalier activity has me fully off of any plug-and-play ideas. Everything should be done to gain future flexibility and draft picks. Only additions I want to this team are young bucks that will not create too many wins next year.
Orenthal

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:25 pm

fundamentals wrote:Why not set your sights on this Barnes? :hide:

Because trashing the season so we can spend another seven years kowtowing to someone who'll flee at the first chance they get is about as appealing as letting Phil Savage back in as Browns GM.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:51 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
fundamentals wrote:Why not set your sights on this Barnes? :hide:

Because trashing the season so we can spend another seven years kowtowing to someone who'll flee at the first chance they get is about as appealing as letting Phil Savage back in as Browns GM.

I don't want to see the Cavaliers tank the season either. But, I would rather have the Barnes who play for UNC next season rather than Matt Barnes, just my preference.

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:47 am

With a glowing report like this, in the only position the Cavs offer depth at (4 PF's on the roster already) I find it hard not to be jubilant about this pickup.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Samardo-Samuels-1111/
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:08 pm

Cavs sign Joey Graham to a two year deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... cavs073010
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Is that to back up Jawad Williams? I don't really understand, unless Parker is on the move.
Orenthal

Unread postby CP » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:13 pm

I had assumed they'd move Parker at some point... Parker was over 28 mpg last year, James at 39 mpg, so those minutes will be available in the backcourt.

I assume Boobie is going to get much of Delonte's time (25 mpg) unless Mo is moved and he backs up Sessions, in which case there are those minutes available too.
CP

Unread postby CP » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:42 am

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/cavaliers.jsp

Looks like the best site for NBA salary cap information (note, not best FAQ, that belongs to Larry Coon: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm).

Haven't been able to test it's accuracy (or inaccuracy) but it looks good for showing which team holds Bird Rights for players, cap holds, etc). Funny that Lakers still hold and haven't ever relinquished Bird Rights to Horace Grant, Ron Harper, Brian Shaw, Karl Malone, Jim Jackson, et al.
CP

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA