Text Size

The Neutral Zone

AHL's 75th Anniversary

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

AHL's 75th Anniversary

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:47 am

Beyond the possible rebirth of the Whalers, another cool thing the AHL is doing this year is a bunch of throwback nights to commemorate the league's 75th anniversary.

The six current league cities with the longest history in the AHL will be kicking off the year with back to back home and homes. The Monsters will be wearing Barons threads. I'm looking forward to it, and am thrilled that my Browns trip will coincide with the Monsters opener.

http://theahl.com/ahl-to-celebrate-75th ... on-p142942
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Re: AHL's 75th Anniversary

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Nice, I really miss the Barons, even if SJ did fuck it up when they were here.

I gotta get my hands on one of those old school Barons jerseys with the logo shown in your icon. I love those jerseys.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Re: AHL's 75th Anniversary

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:30 am

Yeah, the Sharks version was pretty lame, though I've never been a fan of minor-league teams adopting the names or some version of the logo of their pro team affiliation.

I think you should be able to stop by the Q and pick up a jersey in the fall, as the AHL is supposed to be coming out with a whole line of throwback swag in the next couple of months. I definitely will be picking up a jersey and t-shirt at minimum myself.
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Return to The Neutral Zone