Text Size

College Sports Arena

Larry Grant = Buckeye

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Larry Grant = Buckeye

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:23 pm

This JuCo standout verballed today. I look forward to seeing him playing LB in the Scarlet and Gray. He has the potential to be a real difference maker NEXT YEAR. He turned down offers from Oregon, Tennessee, Florida, and A&M to come to Columbus.

Glad to have him,

Mike
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:43 pm

Just went out and read a little on him. Looks to be a very good addition to this class. He pointed out having the oppurtunity to follow in AJ Hawk's shoes and step right in to be a play-maker were the keys to his decision. Way to go Tressel!!!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby yargs7 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:20 pm

Great news! This kid adds depth to an already talented pool of linebackers. Speed, speed, and more speed. I love it. GO BUCKS!
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:00 pm

He has the potential to be a real difference maker NEXT YEAR.

And that's the key. Tressel knew he needed this guy, as the defense will be sorely lacking experience. It will be interesting to see how the starting LBs shake out. I anticipate Freeman to win a spot, and I gotta think D'Andrea will get evry opportunity...but after them (and even counting them) it a very fluid situation. Grant will battle with Kerr, Laurinitis, Hoobler and others for a shot. One of the most interesting things to watch during the spring will be to see who steps up to win those 3 starting spots.

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:02 pm

that last post was from me...can't figure out why it won't let me sign on automatically, even though I tell it to...
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:24 pm

I noticed that the other day, if you have log me in automatically selected, it does not log you in. Not automatically and not for the time that you are using it.

Mike

Unread postby yargs7 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:33 pm

It will be very interesting. Too many studs and not enough spots...not a bad predicament to be in. Can't wait.
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby pup » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:12 pm

Was just checking out Scouts.com, and according to them, The Buckeyes got 5 of the top 23 linebackers in the country this year. That is amazing!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:47 pm

Amazing maybe, surprising? NO.

If you want to be a great linebacker and get national coverage, you come to Ohio State. Next year is an oddity in that we are expecting the offense to be better than the D. That is not generally how things go there.

So put yourself in the shoes of a stellar high school/JuCo LB's shoes. Where would you rather play? OSU or USC? OSU features defense and frankly they get most of the print, USC features quarterbacks and WR's. It is a no brainer for me. Only question I would have in my mind is the steep competition for playing time, although, if they are afraid of competition I am not sure I would want them.

Mike
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena