Text Size

The Back Of The Net

Exciting news for MLS

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

Exciting news for MLS

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:46 am

Probably the best player I've ever seen is going to NY

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8820649.stm

France striker Thierry Henry has signed for Major League Soccer side New York Red Bulls from Barcelona on a "multi-year contract".

The former Arsenal captain, 32, is expected to make his debut for Red Bulls in a friendly against Tottenham in the United States on 22 July.

Henry signed for Barcelona in 2007 and had one year remaining on his contract but the club agreed to let him leave.

Henry said: "This marks an exciting new chapter in my career and life."

After falling out of favour at Barcelona last season and enduring a torrid World Cup, where France failed to progress past the group stages, Henry is excited about the prospect of a new challenge in the United States.

US football is improving - Ferguson

"It is an honour to play for the New York Red Bulls," he stated.

"I am fully aware of the team's history and my sole goal during my time here is to help win the club its first championship.

"Knowing Red Bull's significant commitment to soccer locally and internationally, I am confident that my team-mates and I will succeed."

The Frenchman is Arsenal's all-time record goalscorer, with 226 goals in 370 games between 1999-2007, a period where the club won the Premier League twice and the FA Cup three times.

In June 2007 Henry moved to Barcelona in a £16.1m deal and his success continued at the Nou Camp.

Henry scored 49 goals over the course of his three years in Spain, where he twice won La Liga and picked up a Champions League winner's medal and also won the Uefa Super Cup and the Fifa Club World Cup.

In a distinguished international career, Henry scored 51 goals in 123 appearances for France, winning the World Cup in 1998 and the European Championship in 2000.

And Henry's impressive career trophy haul is something Dietmar Beiersdorfer, head of Red Bull global soccer, is eager to add to.

"It is without question that Thierry Henry is one of the most successful and recognisable soccer players over the past 15 years," said Beiersdorfer.

"We are thrilled that Thierry has decided to come to New York to help the Red Bulls compete for championships this year and for years to come. His international pedigree is second to none and he is a proven winner."
Last edited by British_Pharaoh on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Exciting news

Unread postby Cease » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:23 am

Nice pick up for the MLS.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Re: Exciting news for MLS

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:43 pm

Hope he's able to adjust his game, what with handballs being illegal in the MLS and all...
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:51 am

ouch!!!!
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:56 am

Where does the MLS rank in terms of sheer talent in relation to the other soccer leagues in the UK, Spain, Italy, etc? Is it below all of them? Is there any hope of it ever becoming the world's premier soccer league one day?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:36 pm

swerb wrote:Where does the MLS rank in terms of sheer talent in relation to the other soccer leagues in the UK, Spain, Italy, etc? Is it below all of them? Is there any hope of it ever becoming the world's premier soccer league one day?

It's nowhere near any of the first tier leagues in those countries, IMO...

And though the MLS seems determined to market to expats to be successful (calling teams "sides", "Real" Salt Lake, "FC" Dallas, etc), they also seem to be developing a man crush on the NASL's penchant for signing past their prime mega-starts like Beckham and Henry.

In theory it could be the most successful league in the world, given the money is here and the NFL makes more money than any single domestic soccer league in the world. But it's sort of a chicken and the egg thing. You need some of our best athletes to play soccer for it to draw the attention and ratings, and you need a league that pays it superstars sufficient coin to make young kids in this country want to play soccer.
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:15 pm

RIBrownsFan wrote:But it's sort of a chicken and the egg thing. You need some of our best athletes to play soccer for it to draw the attention and ratings, and you need a league that pays it superstars sufficient coin to make young kids in this country want to play soccer.

And pay enough money to keep the best American players in America and not taking the first flight to England and Europe...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Return to The Back Of The Net