Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs sign Kyle Lowry to offer sheet

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavs sign Kyle Lowry to offer sheet

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:16 am

Anyone like to give me the non-statistical low-down on Lowry?

Didn't watch many Rocket games, however it probably doesnt matter since it sounds like they are going to match.

According to sources, #Cavs have signed Houston Rockets guard Kyle Lowry to an offer sheet.

#Cavs used most of their mid-level exception in the deal, which is for three years with a team option that could be worth $24 million.

Rockets have indicated they plan to match an offer to Lowry. Cavs like his defensive ability.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Cavs sign Kyle Lowry to offer sheet

Unread postby davemanddd » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:29 am

lowry would be ok, but i sure wouldn't mind taking a flyer on another former houston guard - tracy mcgrady. yeah, yeah, i know he doesn't play any defense, but the cavs are going to have a hard time scoring now without lebron and i think he could be had for a lot less than the $22 mill he made from houston last season.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby rbm0183 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:13 am

Anytime I've watched Lowry play he doesn't really do anything to stand out. He's a solid role player. Good energy guy, plays hard, tough defender, good rebounder considering the fact he's only 6'0." He's not a good shooter, though. Not Eric Snow level as a shooter, but certainly not someone you can look to for consistent scoring. He'd be a decent piece to help slow down the Rondos and Roses that Mo can't stay in front of to save his life.

And FWIW, I wouldn't touch McGrady because of his injury history, not to mention the fact that I don't think he has a lot left in his tank even when he's healthy. But I get the impression he would like to sign with a contender anyhow. I guess if he came dirt cheap it wouldn't be crazy for the Cavs to sign him to a one or two year deal with the idea being that he plays well enough and stays healthy so that a team in the hunt may want to trade for him at the deadline. But I doubt that he'll come to CLE to play on a low $ short contract.
---"It was great training being there. They do it with character and intelligence. They run that organization the right way. They build through the draft. They're patient. It's just the right way to do it. It was a tremendous opportunity to be with them." Jimmy Haslam on why he'd model the Browns after the Steelers, 10/16/12
:loadof:
rbm0183

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:48 am

davemanddd wrote:lowry would be ok, but i sure wouldn't mind taking a flyer on another former houston guard - tracy mcgrady. yeah, yeah, i know he doesn't play any defense, but the cavs are going to have a hard time scoring now without lebron and i think he could be had for a lot less than the $22 mill he made from houston last season.

I love T-Mac

Let's do it Grant
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:39 am

Re: how long the Cavs would be scorned by players/agents as a result of TMLP's rant:

Who had 6 days?

Cavs owner snap!!! That's crazy how you see people real side when things dnt go their way!!!! Wow!!!!!!
10:44 PM Jul 8th via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/klow7

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/cleveland_cavaliers_sign_guard.html
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:53 am

davemanddd wrote:lowry would be ok, but i sure wouldn't mind taking a flyer on another former houston guard - tracy mcgrady. yeah, yeah, i know he doesn't play any defense, but the cavs are going to have a hard time scoring now without lebron and i think he could be had for a lot less than the $22 mill he made from houston last season.

T-Mac is looking to go to a contender, more than likely LA. If the Cavs are gonna go for the rebuild, I'd much rather have Lowry at 24. I think he'd be good in Scott's offense and it makes it easier to let Mo go .
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby papacass » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 am

Don't get your hopes up about Lowry. Rockets will almost certainly match. Windy tweets that they intend to match.

Best to assume Lowry isn't coming here. Heck, he probably doesn't really want to come here. He did what Andy did with the Bobcats a few years back: Sign an offer sheet to force their team's hand.

Teams in throw-it-against-the-wall mode, like the Cavs, are great for RFAs. A place to get a quick offer sheet and force the home team to match.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:03 pm

You guys do understand past tense right?

Windy was referring to earlier in FA when the Rockets said they would match Scola and Lowry, who knows where this offer falls in their spectrum. Acting like Windy is inferring they made an announcement last night is just piss poor reading skillz.

I like this deal a lot, as it frees us up to trade Mo, is short term and Lowry is a guy who has consistently gotten better.

If it were five years I'd be livid though.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You guys do understand past tense right?

Windy was referring to earlier in FA when the Rockets said they would match Scola and Lowry, who knows where this offer falls in their spectrum. Acting like Windy is inferring they made an announcement last night is just piss poor reading skillz.

I like this deal a lot, as it frees us up to trade Mo, is short term and Lowry is a guy who has consistently gotten better.

If it were five years I'd be livid though.

infer does not mean to imply

bad semantics eye
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Loo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:12 pm

The Cavs want to let go of Delonte because he'll make $4.6 mil, but they want to sign Lowry to around $6 mil a year?

Not completely against Lowry, but now with this logic.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby rbm0183 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:14 pm

I don't see Lowry as a good replacement for Mo. No way is he an upgrade overall at that spot. For all his flaws Mo is still a scoring threat and decent at running the offense. If you replace Mo's 16 points and 6 assists (which theoretically could improve slightly with LBJ out of the picture) with Lowry's limited offensive game, who is scoring for this team? He'd definitely be a defensive upgrade, but I see him at best as a sixth man unless he takes big steps forward in the next couple of seasons.

I'm definitely not against replacing Mo at PG, but only if they're upgrading. And Lowry doesn't seem like an upgrade to me. I don't miss the days of our PG being unable to hit an open 18-footer.
---"It was great training being there. They do it with character and intelligence. They run that organization the right way. They build through the draft. They're patient. It's just the right way to do it. It was a tremendous opportunity to be with them." Jimmy Haslam on why he'd model the Browns after the Steelers, 10/16/12
rbm0183

Unread postby daddywags » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Loo - I don't think getting rid of West has much to do with money at this point. They put up with him last year because he was part of a 66 win team the year before but he was way too unreliable and way too high maintenance (not to mention that other rumor) to keep around. Frankly, I'll be surprised if anybody picks him up given his history.

As for Lowry, I think the contract is too rich even though it's not that big. Why we're giving away $6 million per year contracts to role players in a rebuilding year is beyond me. If they're going to trade Williams (I hope) then let Bassy play PG for one year and pick up somebody cheap to back him up. I'm getting this feeling that they really want to go full-blown rebuild mode, but then not really wanting to live with the consequences (read: mucho losing). If "rebuilding mode" means giving $24 million to Kyle Lowry and $30 million to Marvin Williams, then, well I don't know what to say other than welcome to the Minnesota Timberwolves, Eastern Conference version.
daddywags

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:29 pm

I've always liked Lowry's game, going back to Nova. Can defend, distribute and snag boards.

Question is - does he end up becoming Eric Snow or Andre Miller?

Fact Daryl Morey is so high on him makes me like him more. End of the day, Mo is sexier, but I think you win more games with Lowry. He is just 24 ... while Mo is what he is, there is a chance Lowry's offensive game could still develop to make him a real nice player. A real nice 1 to play next to a 2 that can fill it up.

Would love to see the Cavs find a way to add him.

Sign and trade a possibility here?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby rbm0183 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Daryl Morey just tweeted that they will match, so it's moot.

PDcavsinsider: RT @dmorey: Congratulations to Kyle Lowry on signing his new deal. We plan to match the agreement and we are excited he will be returnin ...

PDcavsinsider: #Cavs attempted to get Rockets to do a sign-and-trade for Kyle Lowry before doing offer sheet. HOU declined so not a surprise match at all.
rbm0183

Unread postby CP » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:13 pm

Since HOU matched, this eats up their MLE, correct? If so, another smart move by Grant (first being not renouncing the FAs so he had more $$ to work with). If it played out so that HOU refused the S&T, smart move to take their MLE out of play for anyone else on board, particularly if CLE knew it wasn't going to get Lowry anyway.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby papacass » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Chance of a S&T is the only possible reason the Cavs would have even bothered with Lowry. He wasn't going to get bought off the Rockets unless the offer sheet was absolutely ludicrous.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:19 pm

CP, you really like crediting this front office for things they aren't even doing.

Now it's out the front office doesn't want to S & T Shaq and Houston has two targets on their list, Lowry and Scola, they are not going to spend anymore money for the shit (and I mean shit) that is on the market unless they miss one of those guys. And I'm not sure of the CBA rules re: resigning players w/ your own MLE, I know you can do it but not sure what the circumstance is and am too lazy to look it up.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:53 pm

I was totally eh on Lowry... Much rather get talking to that retard in Minny about Sessions. No S&T of Shaq? Got a link eye? Not that I doubt, but damn how dumb would that be...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Why would we S & T Shaq and take back a contract that we don't want?

Hawks are over the cap and the only reason they would S & T would be to give him more then the MLE, which is why his people are the people pushing for the S & T, neither of the orgs.

Check Windy's Twitter feed.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Shut down the feeds the other day due to phone rage, gotta get the real big three (Woj, Amick, Windy) back on my phone.

Without the demand for Shaq, it is just him trying to get a few more million on a deal. Okay makes sense not to S&T given what we would have to take back. Guess Shaq wouldn't yield picks that lead to an exception. Got spoiled to that, and it was my thinking...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA