Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Dan Gilbert: Slave Owner

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Dan Gilbert: Slave Owner

Unread postby Watt » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:33 pm

More Jackson: "LeBron is not a child, nor is he bound to play on Gilbert’s plantation and be demeaned."
4 minutes ago via web

Jesse Jackson issues statement on Gilbert: "His feelings of betrayal personify a slave master mentality. He sees LeBron as a runaway slave."
5 minutes ago via web

Jackson said Gilbert's comments were "mean, arrogant and presumptuous."

"He speaks as an owner of LeBron and not the owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers," the reverend said in a release from his Chicago-based civil rights group, the Rainbow PUSH Coalition. "His feelings of betrayal personify a slave master mentality. He sees LeBron as a runaway slave. This is an owner employee relationship -- between business partners -- and LeBron honored his contract."

Messages were left Sunday night seeking comment from Gilbert, the Cavaliers and James.

Jackson also called Gilbert's comments an attack on all NBA players and said the owner should face a "challenge" from the league and the players' association.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5372266

:thud:
Watt
Talent On Loan From God

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Luis Valbuena

Re: Dan Gilbert: Slave Owner

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:57 pm

It's comical how completely out of touch this take is from Jackson.

Carving out any notion of race being involved here shows an incredibly lack of insight and basic stupidity to the circumstances/situation, really.

I'd be interested to see if there is any poster that can defend Jackson's take. It's totally laughable.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Loo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:52 pm

Are you F****** kidding me?

There aren't very many people on this Earth whose opinions I could care less about.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:34 am

how much did lebron earn from the cavs last year, $17.5 million??? if that's the going rate for slave labor, then dear gawd, make me a slave!!!

and you thought lebron was out of touch??? as that great philosopher bugs bunny might say - "jesse jackson, what a maroon!!!".
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:54 am

Jesse, don't look at the speck in Dan's eye, when you have the Redwood forest in you own.
One reason he's not so reverend
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:51 am

Jesse Jackson made Pat Paulson a viable Presidential candidate
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby DarNoor » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:14 am

[quote="noles1"]It's comical how completely out of touch this take is from Jackson.

/quote]

When has Jackson ever been "in touch"?
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:55 am

Watt wrote:More Jackson: "LeBron is not a child, nor is he bound to play on Gilbert’s plantation and be demeaned."
4 minutes ago via web

Jesse Jackson issues statement on Gilbert: "His feelings of betrayal personify a slave master mentality. He sees LeBron as a runaway slave."
5 minutes ago via web

Jackson said Gilbert's comments were "mean, arrogant and presumptuous."

"He speaks as an owner of LeBron and not the owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers," the reverend said in a release from his Chicago-based civil rights group, the Rainbow PUSH Coalition. "His feelings of betrayal personify a slave master mentality. He sees LeBron as a runaway slave. This is an owner employee relationship -- between business partners -- and LeBron honored his contract."

Messages were left Sunday night seeking comment from Gilbert, the Cavaliers and James.

Jackson also called Gilbert's comments an attack on all NBA players and said the owner should face a "challenge" from the league and the players' association.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5372266

:thud:

SD:

NUTZ

SoulDawg74

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 pm

I have been chewing on this spot all morning.

http://is.gd/dp4h3

Real interesting take on this whole thing, in that I agree that LBJ turning the "Game upside down" and going NFL Draft was kinda cool in an abstract way (Note: it in no way forgives any other implications of his move).
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Yeah, real interesting take on the thing. Whoever that guy is he's a smart futhermucker. Thanks for the link.

2 things off the top of my heaad that I wish he'd adressed:

1. He talks about people that got mad about Jesse got mad because they didn't understand him and they aren't smart enough to understand(basically). He assumes this because accademics can discuss these things without getting mad, citing the example of the book "40 Million Dollar Slaves" (which sounds like an interesting book in it's own right).

What he failed to mention is the context of Jesse's remarks. If Jesse had written that book, and he was teaching a class or giving a lecture on the similarities between slavery and professional sports, then of course the reaction would have been different. But that's not necessarily because the people in the room are so much smarter than everyone else. It's because there is already an understanding of the context in which the information is being presented when you step into the room to hear that lecture.

Jesse wasn't giving a lecture, he was talking out of his ass to an audience of everybody and he knew full well how it would be recieved. And, he made no real attempt to clarify his statements when he KNEW what that reaction would be.

2. If Jesse's point was to convey that Gilbert was upset and lashing out because he lost percieved control over Lebron that he had no real right to in the first place, well, that's a valid point. But that point could have been made without invoaking slavery.

Because, as I'm sure Jesse knew, whether it was intended or not (yeah right), by comparing Gilbert to a slave master, he is essentially calling Gilbert a rascist. At least that's how people would take it, and I have no doubt Jesse knew it. So, if control is the issue, which Mr Jones implies, then race has little to do with it. Gilbert would have reacted the same way if he had lost control of Lebron no matter what color Lebron is. Not sure if that makes sense.

Anyway, maybe I'll think of something else later.

I plan on watching that again after I can locate some shrooms. I'm sure I'll have much better insights.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Albert Haynesworth wants to know why the rev won't return his calls?
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Yeah, Bomani Jones is the man. Here is another clip from today that is pretty good:

http://hardcoresportsradio.com/content/ ... 0a82c8.mp3

I'm actually starting to stream him every morning instead of the usual podcasts.

No time to comment on any of the content at the moment though, as I am back in the office this week.

*not nearly as intellectually deep as the other link, which I just found straight up provocative.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:08 pm

It is easy to discuss things in the abstract. Jackson is throwing personal bombs. If I discuss how welfare creates a dependence and causes the black family to revert to a slave-like existence I can win a Pulitzer. If I get on stage and call all/any blacks a bunch of slaves because they use the system to skate personal responsibility I lose my career or get my ass beat.

It's a bunch of pseudo-intellectualism. I feel like I am back in African American studies.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:23 pm

There are two main issues with Jesse Jackson's comment on the LeBron situation.

1) Jesse Jackson lacks credibility, he simply has none.
2) He either intentionally ignored the basketball context of Gilbert's ranting or he is completely ignorant of it. The fact of the matter is you cannot separate what happened on the court this post season with what transpired with LeBron's contractual decision.

This Jones guy misses that as well, probably not intentionally but misses it none the less.

Another way to look at it though is LeBron was the pimp and Gilbert/Cavaliers were the hoe.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Orenthal wrote:It's a bunch of pseudo-intellectualism.

This.

It took about 5 minutes for me to know exactly where he was going and rolling my eyes in boredom.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Your honor we strenuously object

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5374507

Move to reconsider
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Naw, the fact that Wade, LBJ and Bosh turned the game upside down is not pseudo intellectualism, it's truth.

They staged a two week play that is only met on a player movement and drama level by the NFL draft, they went to South Beach where they are running the team (they are the ones picking players up from the airport, calling guys, etc.... not Riley), they took over a city, the press, a league and a team.

Now I don't believe that this is what set Gilbert off, but I do think that a lot of the outside looking in fans and owners were mad about this sort of player revolution.

It's an interesting thought to wrestle w/.

I don't think Gilbert losing his lunch was that closely tied to this, but I'm also not going to ignore the thought process outright because the guy teaches at Duke about Black Athletes.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:38 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Naw, the fact that Wade, LBJ and Bosh turned the game upside down is not pseudo intellectualism, it's truth.

They staged a two week play that is only met on a player movement and drama level by the NFL draft, they went to South Beach where they are running the team (they are the ones picking players up from the airport, calling guys, etc.... not Riley), they took over a city, the press, a league and a team.

Now I don't believe that this is what set Gilbert off, but I do think that a lot of the outside looking in fans and owners were mad about this sort of player revolution.

It's an interesting thought to wrestle w/.

I don't think Gilbert losing his lunch was that closely tied to this, but I'm also not going to ignore the thought process outright because the guy teaches at Duke about Black Athletes.

They did turn the game upside down. Temporarily. The game will right itself. The powers that be will realize that letting the inmates run the asylum is not in the best interest of the game.

The casual fan will be enamored with the Super Teams, and the cities in which these Super Teams exist will sell out. Which is so sorely needed, because how could the huge markets sell out games without it?

However, competitive balance swirls the toilet and the owners of the "have-nots" will burn with fury. The Owner's meetings will get really interesting, probably ending with a "We-must-break-the-players" stance and a lockout.

The owners have too much money at stake to let this bullshit continue.

So, this is likely to be the last time you see this type of thing. This is not a Player Revolution, it's a Player Revolt that will be quashed. Things will go back to the way they were, maybe more than they ever were.

It may have made for fancy ratings, but you don't throw this in the Owner's faces and expect them to take it.

If the players don't like it, let 'em form their own league. And once they're owners, I wonder how long it will take them to start thinking and acting like owners.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm pretty good w/ that, Hiko and I think a lot of that is the point of the rant, hidden behind some blown up character because, well, guy is a radio character.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:54 pm

Question, I just missed the opening of PTI. Just curious about what the takes on this were.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:57 pm

I haven't watched PTI since Kornheiser turned his brain off a few years ago.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:12 pm

I only got into the first 5 minutes. Only to hear the clairvoyance as host compared like explanations that produced vastly different results. Obviously the word slave or n-bomb (hesitate to type the word) or Uncle Tom or whatever racial designation you choose will cause a greater reaction. For Jesse that is his business, again obviously. Like Hiko I couldn't get past that part, and that may have been for my loss, as Eye hasn't posted anything I have read yet that was not insightful.

I'll give it another go in full, but right now I have to do some intellectual work of my on. WWE Raw will be on soon... :lmfao:
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:14 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I haven't watched PTI since Kornheiser turned his brain off a few years ago.

I saw it - the segment came on later. Usually I like Wilbon, but he sounded like he agreed with Jackson, so, now, magically - poof! - one man being angry at another man is "racially motivated".

Sigh.

:bunny:
Hikohadon

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:21 pm

What we need is a German owner and Jew player, then we can really get some diversity going. Too bad the Golden State Warriors weren't playing ball at the height of the "Yellow Scare". Only someone in the race biz could come up with the comparison. The lemmings follow.

Boy cried wolf stuff when the real real happens. Jesee has no relevance when he has to reach like this.
Orenthal

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:30 pm

How about Lebanese owners and Israeli player? We've got that.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:32 pm

aoxo1 wrote:How about Lebanese owners and Israeli player? We've got that.

That works, now we just lay in wait...
Orenthal

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:16 pm

The other thing with Jesse Jackson is he MUST interject race into the various issues in our society to have any semblance of relevance in the world. I know the guy has done some decent stuff for some people but at the end of the day he simply is not considered an intellectual in this world. Nobody ever goes looking for the opinions of Jesse Jackson on the various issues of our times like they do with a Bill Gates, Bill Clinton, Bill Cosby or even Oprah. So for him to now be tied to this NBA FA story is ridiculous, you'd think he'd be busy submitting solutions for the oil spill and save all the people of Nawlins.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby CP » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:08 pm

I always remember back to an SNL from about a decade ago where they were ripping on Jackson and Al Sharpton during Weekend Update...

This week, the Reverend Al Sharpton was involved in a car accident when the van he was driving smashed into a car, causing a multiple chain reaction. Apparently, it started as just two vehicles, but Sharpton incited it into a 10-car pile-up.

I remember when Jackson tried to inject race into NASCAR and had basically and continually blackmailed NASCAR into supporting him. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/na ... port_x.htm)
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA