Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Tampering and The Heat

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Tampering and The Heat

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Figure this is going to become somewhat of a story over the next few weeks, w/ Cuban already pushing that it was tampering and now this:

wallacesports: Owners meeting Monday to include concerns over Heat's path to landing LeBron, Bosh and Wade.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tampering and The Heat

Unread postby CP » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Assuming the league agrees, what would even begin to rectify the situation? Fines just aren't going to cut it.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Unless the FBI is involved (or should it be are involved?) in any of the events of this summer nothing will happen.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Miami has already been pretty much strip-mined of first-round picks. Not sure where anyone could go from there.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:21 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:Miami has already been pretty much strip-mined of first-round picks. Not sure where anyone could go from there.

Not really. They still have their picks in all the even numbered years, thanks to the Stepien rule.

Could Cavs end up with Heat picks in 2012 and 2014 in addition to 2013 and 2015? Maybe.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Personally, I think the penalty for tampering should be that you lose the money under the cap that the parties involved were signed for, or in this case about 30mill per year. This would be an extreme example (obviously), but in most cases you are talking about tampering at the MLE level, and that punishment seems appropriate.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby smalls1129 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:34 pm

When the tampering angle first started rolling I was thinking what of significance could the league do? Granted it is over the top and a PIPE DREAM but this is what I came up with; the Heat are striped of all of their draft picks for the next 5 years. The actual terms of the sign and trade are erased (although the contracts and the language within are allowed to stand). The Cavs and Raptors are awarded 'compensation' picks for the next 3-5 years (IOW, they'll own two firsts). This is where it gets real tricky and probably overboard; but for these compensation picks to even come close to having the effect that the tampering had on the teams, each of the compensation picks will be in the lottery (2 extra lottery picks). To determine where they will pick (you can't just outright screw the team with the worst record) each the Cavs and Raptors would have the same amount of ping-pong balls has the team with the 5th worst record, 10th worst record, somewhere around there.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:45 pm

It would be hilarious if the NBA enacted their own version of the Death Penalty, it'll never happen, but can you imagine if it did. I envision something to the effect of the three banned from the league for 2 years, and the Heat being not allowed to play any games for 1 year. The Cavs, Raptors receiving compensation in the form of lottery picks.

so much for my fantasy and continuing on, it should be interesting to see how much leverage that Gilbert and Cuban would have. Are they generally respected in the league? And don't forget, The Russian and Dolan may not exactly be happy with this whole charade as well.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby ajunior148 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Maybe they can take away the first round picks they have remaining for the next 5 years and take away all mid level exemptions (and bi annual) they'll be eligible for for the next 5 years. Would be nice to see Riley have to add on to his super team year after year with only the vet min to work with.

Will never happen though. It'll probably end up being a pretty minor fine and a mean look from Stern.
ajunior148

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:00 pm

There's not going to be anything. Cavs and Raptors aren't asking for a probe.
aoxo1

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:15 pm

aoxo1 wrote:There's not going to be anything. Cavs and Raptors aren't asking for a probe.

Don't you see that as moot though aoxo? Cavs and Raps know Stern is gonna conduct a probe (even if its under the radar) ... so they can afford to just sit back and wait for it to happen and take the high road outwardly.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Good point, besides Gilbert can let the already often misaligned Cuban do his kicking and screaming for him, word is that is Cuban's plan.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:30 pm

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/11/1 ... -heat.html

5 Teams have made tampering accusations already.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:37 pm

swerb wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:There's not going to be anything. Cavs and Raptors aren't asking for a probe.

Don't you see that as moot though aoxo? Cavs and Raps know Stern is gonna conduct a probe (even if its under the radar) ... so they can afford to just sit back and wait for it to happen and take the high road outwardly.

I was just parroting Mark Stein http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ
aoxo1

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Ban them from the playoffs for 6 years. Like in the NCAA. That would be ironic poetic justice!!
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby CP » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Better chance of them just stripping them of the draft picks vs. giving them to Cleveland and Toronto, which would be fine with me, assuming a hard cap is put into place in the next CBA. I'm not sure I'm necessarily of the hard cap, by the way. I can't claim to know much about hockey's system; I was a casual observer who lost all interest after last lockout.
CP

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:15 pm

aoxo1 wrote:There's not going to be anything. Stern has his 2011 playoffs plot and lockout ammo.

Had to make a correction there.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:32 pm

CP wrote:Better chance of them just stripping them of the draft picks vs. giving them to Cleveland and Toronto, which would be fine with me, assuming a hard cap is put into place in the next CBA. I'm not sure I'm necessarily of the hard cap, by the way. I can't claim to know much about hockey's system; I was a casual observer who lost all interest after last lockout.

When Riley left the Knicks for the Heat, there was a serious tampering allegation that resulted in $1m and a first round pick going to the Knicks.
aoxo1

Unread postby CP » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Riley got dinged over Juwan Howard too, didn't he?
CP

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:30 pm

You know I was bumping around last night and can't remember if I saw this in a journalists' article or a just some internet poster, but...

Wasn't the timing of Lebron's announcement about retiring Jordan's number at the same time the Heat were in town? Incidentally if other teams are making the tampering accusation, does the league still blow it off because of the Cavs/Raptors S&T? I just mean common wisdom seemed to be the S&T negated either team's ability to push Stern, but the Mavs still can (just an example). Certainly NY writers might want to pounce as well.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:33 am

Cavs played in Miami the night they retired 23, then after the game LBJ announced he was switching.

It's also a fact that he had a meeting with Riley leading up to that.
aoxo1

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:25 am

at what point does this simply become "sour grapes"??? the cavs are gonna get 4 draft picks outta this debacle anyway, so why don't they just cut bait and move on??? i really don't see miami winning the title with these 3 bastards anyway and when (not if) wade and/or bosh get hurt, that will just make the cavs picks that much better. we can only hope. go cavs!!!

:cavs1:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby Cease » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:32 am

Mark Cuban having Gilbert's back after the comic sans letter to fans was him elbowing his way into the conversation. Cuban got slapped with 100k fine for mentioning LeBron too soon and I think he wants to get his money' worth. http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/mavericks_mark_cuban_urges_nba.html

The notion of the NBA being a "player's league" isn't new. The younger owners (Cuban and Gilbert among them) have refitted their organizations around the premise of catering to players. Upgraded facilities, no-show jobs for the entourages, public statements to protect players in regards to officiating- these are all fairly new tactics made to placate players.

The young owners may now be feeling that the power has swung to the point that players are rigging the free agent game. The pool of NBA owners out for blood in the next CBA is growing. The players are in for an extended lockout, as the owners take out their frustrations.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:52 am

aoxo1 wrote:
swerb wrote:

I was just parroting Mark Stein http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

Lazy by Stein, IMO. The obvious issue with this justification is that the Heat had no risk in creating said space. The Knicks, Bulls, Nets, etc. were clearing space, betting on the come, the Heat were playing with a stacked deck....aledgedly.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby waborat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:07 am

swerb wrote:Cavs and Raps know Stern is gonna conduct a probe (even if its under the radar)

The same "probe" as KG to beantown & Gasol to lala "probe"?

Stern's hands are just as dirty with the cap increase epiphany...

Lift rug, sweep under
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby OffBase » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:50 am

FUDU wrote:Unless the FBI is involved (or should it be are involved?) in any of the events of this summer nothing will happen.

Kucinich calling for a congressional investigation might work. :hide:
In order to be off base, you must already be on base...
OffBase
Serenity Now!

Favorite Player: The Cleveland Fans
Least Favorite Player: LeBastard

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:20 am

waborat wrote:
swerb wrote:Cavs and Raps know Stern is gonna conduct a probe (even if its under the radar)

The same "probe" as KG to beantown & Gasol to lala "probe"?

Stern's hands are just as dirty with the cap increase epiphany...

Lift rug, sweep under

This X 1,000,000. Stern loves the fact that LeBron and Bosh are in Miami. Had to see what Riley was up to long ago. He could give 2 shits about the Cavs or the city of Cleveland.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA