Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby waborat » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:31 pm

Guy took the easy way out not to hear The Decision...

Guy brings back memories of what the Cavs will soon be like again...

"Mel Turpin, former Kentucky center and 6th overall pick of the 1984 NBA Draft by the Washington Bullets, was found dead in Lexington on Thursday of an apparent suicide.

Turpin was initially traded by the Bullets to the Cavaliers, though he eventually ended his career in Washington after a stint with the Jazz."

Via Matt Jones/KySportsRadio


Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/#ixzz0t8Wvq5UL
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:56 pm

waborat wrote:Guy took the easy way out not to hear The Decision...

Guy brings back memories of what the Cavs will soon be like again...

"Mel Turpin, former Kentucky center and 6th overall pick of the 1984 NBA Draft by the Washington Bullets, was found dead in Lexington on Thursday of an apparent suicide.

Turpin was initially traded by the Bullets to the Cavaliers, though he eventually ended his career in Washington after a stint with the Jazz."

Via Matt Jones/KySportsRadio


Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/#ixzz0t8Wvq5UL



Damn. Wonder if he finally found a shot he could hit or if he went out like he lived and swallowed too much of something.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:57 pm

waborat wrote:Guy took the easy way out not to hear The Decision...

Guy brings back memories of what the Cavs will soon be like again...

"Mel Turpin, former Kentucky center and 6th overall pick of the 1984 NBA Draft by the Washington Bullets, was found dead in Lexington on Thursday of an apparent suicide.

Turpin was initially traded by the Bullets to the Cavaliers, though he eventually ended his career in Washington after a stint with the Jazz."

Via Matt Jones/KySportsRadio


Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/#ixzz0t8Wvq5UL



Damn. Wonder if he finally found a shot he could hit or if he went out like he lived and swallowed too much of something.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:08 pm

Does this impact our cap positively?!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Anyone who saw him play at the Coliseum has to be wondering how he drummed up enough gumption to lift a gun. Each night he and Keith Lee would have a "lazy off." I can still hear the guy behind the stantion yelling "Move Turpin" for half the game - to no avail.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6576
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:12 pm

I thought he, Kenny Sky Walker and Sam Bowie all died 26 years ago in the second half of the '84 NCAA Semifinal against Georgetown.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:13 pm

jb wrote:Does this impact our cap positively?!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!


His family is out ftom underneath food cap hell, I'll tell ya that.

Be sad if there were two or three grandkids under him when they winch up the body.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:16 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:I thought he, Kenny Sky Walker and Sam Bowie all died 26 years ago in the second half of the '84 NCAA Semifinal against Georgetown.



Nice. V nice.

war: Michael Graham.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Look how much fun we have remembering the old days before LeBron.

This won't be so bad after all.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:18 pm

leadpipe wrote:Anyone who saw him play at the Coliseum has to be wondering how he drummed up enough gumption to lift a gun. Each night he and Keith Lee would have a "lazy off." I can still hear the guy behind the stantion yelling "Move Turpin" for half the game - to no avail.


Basketball card drafting right there.

Saw Stagger Lee laze it out vs KSU in th eday and was just stuned by what a POS he was.

Next theing I knew?

Boom! We got him. For a guy who might have put us over the top in the 90's.

OIC.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:20 pm

jb wrote:Boom! We got him. For a guy who might have put us over the top in the 90's.

OIC.


Gotta think Oak Town's presence might have cut down considerably on the number of elbows aimed at Mark Price's temple, yes.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby waborat » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:20 pm

peeker643 wrote:Look how much fun we have remembering the old days before LeBron.

This won't be so bad after all.


All we need is Poquette & World to off themselves and the '10 off-season will be money
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:22 pm

jb wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Anyone who saw him play at the Coliseum has to be wondering how he drummed up enough gumption to lift a gun. Each night he and Keith Lee would have a "lazy off." I can still hear the guy behind the stantion yelling "Move Turpin" for half the game - to no avail.


Basketball card drafting right there.

Saw Stagger Lee laze it out vs KSU in th eday and was just stuned by what a POS he was.

Next theing I knew?

Boom! We got him. For a guy who might have put us over the top in the 90's.

OIC.


This is why the Cavs will have to do SOMETHING right to get me interested if Bron goes. Anyone who saw Keith Lee twice would not be the least bit suprised if he fell fast asleep during a game - and the Cavs wheel and deal for him - and it really isn't that out of line with other deals they've made in their history.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6576
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:28 pm

You mean you would be upset if we made an Andy for Eddy Curry type deal?
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
User avatar
Orenthal
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Midd Heights
Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby Cease » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Was at a game with my dad when Mel was playing for Utah. He's on the end of the Utah bench, the crowd at the Coliseum starts chanting "We want Mel, We want Mel!" Mel is chirping to the coach that he wants to come in the game.

And then, Mel stands up, rips off his pants, and walks toward the scorer's table. Crowd cheers. Mel keeps walking, all the way to the locker room. Coach had told him to hit the showers, Mel was pissed he wasn't playing in front of the Cleveland fans.

I thought it was cool. RIP, Dinner Bell. Sad that it was a suicide.
User avatar
Cease
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 am
Location: The View
Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Man, this Bron thing has taken a piece out of all of us. Some guy dies and we are all over him. Not the most typical of TCF responses*

Sad deal for Mel and the family.

*Although I shared my share of Dinner Bell jokes in the day.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3881
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:44 pm

OldDawg wrote:Man, this Bron thing has taken a piece out of all of us. Some guy dies and we are all over him. Not the most typical of TCF responses*

Sad deal for Mel and the family.

*Although I shared my share of Dinner Bell jokes in the day.


To be fair, I was like this before LeBron left/fake left.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:46 pm

^ What a dick.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
User avatar
Orenthal
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Midd Heights
Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Re: Dinner Bell Mel Startin' To Smell

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:
OldDawg wrote:Man, this Bron thing has taken a piece out of all of us. Some guy dies and we are all over him. Not the most typical of TCF responses*

Sad deal for Mel and the family.

*Although I shared my share of Dinner Bell jokes in the day.


To be fair, I was like this before LeBron left/fake left.

Ha!

My poor joke over a dead nba player was when Len Bias OD'ed on drugs right after being selected 2nd in the draft by the Celtics (after the Cavs selected Brad Daugherty number 1). Bias was considered the best NBA talent in the draft. I told a friend the next day, "I told you the guy was a stiff and would never play in the NBA."

Ironically, I believe if the Cavs had drafted him #1, he would still be alive. He was celebrating being drafted by the Celtics (Bird, McHale, Ainge, Parrish, DJ, Walton). Not a bad team to go to at pick #2. However, if he had been drafted by the Cavs, he probably would have been drinking in depression, and would have survived the night.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3881
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims


Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest