Text Size

College Sports Arena

Duron Carter gone ???

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Duron Carter gone ???

Unread postby tired » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:07 am

Chris Carter came and picked up Duron and all his things. Seems to be pointing to the fact he is gone. Anybody else hear any of this ???
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: Duron Carter gone ???

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:54 am

Yes, Carter has withdrawn from OSU and will enroll at Coffeyville (KS) Community College, where he will play football and try to get his grades up. He will then transfer back to an FBS school a year from now...possibly OSU, and would have three years of eligibility remaining
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Christ..... Making the grade isn't that damn hard.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Christ..... Making the grade isn't that damn hard.

It's really not. All you have to do is show up and pay attention, and not be a complete dumbass.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West

Unread postby Squints » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:27 pm

StewieG wrote:

It's really not. All you have to do is show up and pay attention, and not be a complete dumbass.

Did OSU drop AIDS Awareness, Golf and Music Appreciation from its curriculum??
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:27 pm

wiz1001 wrote:Yes, Carter has withdrawn from OSU and will enroll at Coffeyville (KS) Community College, where he will play football and try to get his grades up. He will then transfer back to an FBS school a year from now...possibly OSU, and would have three years of eligibility remaining

If Carter plays this year at the JUCO, which he plans to do, then he will only have two years of eligibility left once he transfers back to a D-1 school.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:27 pm

neoleo wrote:If Carter plays this year at the JUCO, which he plans to do, then he will only have two years of eligibility left once he transfers back to a D-1 school.

I assumed that too, but this article by Bill Greene at Scout says otherwise:

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/978926.html

He made the decision last weekend to transfer to Coffeyville, where he will seek to improve his academic status, and play football in 2010.

Should Carter achieve academic success at Coffeyville, he will then seek to transfer to a Division-I school, possibly back to Ohio State, in June of 2011. At that point, Carter will still have three years of eligibility, to be completed in four years. The current year at Coffeyville will not count as a red-shirt year for Carter.

I presume Bill has spoken to the Carter family, and got the straight stuff.

Incidentally, Duron tweets today "yes i would love to go back to OSU! im a buckeye all the way!"

So we'll see.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Squints wrote:
StewieG wrote:

Did OSU drop AIDS Awareness, Golf and Music Appreciation from its curriculum??

Not sure but I think they still have Into To Geology AKA "Rocks For Jocks", a simple easy A course they all were in when I was there.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Not sure but I think they still have Into To Geology AKA "Rocks For Jocks", a simple easy A course they all were in when I was there.

someone told me that at TOSU Mo. Clarett attended exactly two classes in his mathematics course, and when he did, he just sat in the back and blared music
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby tired » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:13 pm

the report on Scout was incorrect. This year at Coffeyville counts as a year of eligibility (just like it would for any other JUCO player). Then he will have two years (not three) of eligibility remaining if/when he transfers back to a D-I school.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs

Unread postby jb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:01 am

Community college is still college.

Chortle.

All I can tell y'all to add is that the cC to U transfer rules have changed recently.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:07 am

I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:36 am

Here's my understanding of the Duron Carter thing:

He wanted to come back to OSU, but there was too deep a hole to get out of.

At the JC, he needed to get good enough grades to get into another school, which he did....but to get back into OSU, he needed to get good enough grades to qualify when those JC grades were averaged with what he earned at OSU...so it was a much steeper hill to climb, and he just couldn't do it.

He had done better in the winter and spring at OSU, but the 0.0 or whatever he got in the Fall, when he reportedly couldn't be dragged into a classroom building, made it too hard to raise the GPA significantly.

Too bad, because he would probably be the #1 WR right now, and for the first 5 games of 2011. Cris has been great throughout...continuing to work with the OSU WR's, and Tressel told Cris the other day that he loves Duron, and wishes him well.

To my mind, he's a good, not a great receiver prospect, and they have 3 or 4 guys on the roster with just as much ability...not counting Posey.

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:34 pm

danwismar wrote:Here's my understanding of the Duron Carter thing:

He wanted to come back to OSU, but there was too deep a hole to get out of.

At the JC, he needed to get good enough grades to get into another school, which he did....but to get back into OSU, he needed to get good enough grades to qualify when those JC grades were averaged with what he earned at OSU...so it was a much steeper hill to climb, and he just couldn't do it.

He had done better in the winter and spring at OSU, but the 0.0 or whatever he got in the Fall, when he reportedly couldn't be dragged into a classroom building, made it too hard to raise the GPA significantly.

Too bad, because he would probably be the #1 WR right now, and for the first 5 games of 2011. Cris has been great throughout...continuing to work with the OSU WR's, and Tressel told Cris the other day that he loves Duron, and wishes him well.

To my mind, he's a good, not a great receiver prospect, and they have 3 or 4 guys on the roster with just as much ability...not counting Posey.

I didn't think transfer grades counted in either scenario, only juco 4+2+4 eligibility rules, but I can see how if he really screwed the pooch his QPA deficiencey at TOSU is really in the crapper relative to a 0.00 fresh start at bama and alomost impossible to overcome.

So Mike Perry jumped to a misinformed conclusion before assaulting the Carter family's character with a terrible and irresponsible piece of yellow bloggery?

perry should pull it and apologize. we all do dumbthings. that piece is completely benieth a guy who is a very good writer normally.

"An error doesn't become a mistake unless you refuse to correct it."
- JFK
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:44 pm

I thought Mike's article was a little rough on the family, but I didn't know what sources he had. The only person he quotes is Bill Greene of Scout.com, who is a guy I know and talk to periodically, and who is close to Cris Carter, and in touch with him regularly....and whose take on the Carter situation is, needless to say, quite different than Mike's.

From everything I have heard about Cris' handling of his son's troubles since day one, he is to be commended. No excuses, no coddling, no special treatment demanded because Daddy is a future Hall of Famer and a Buckeye legend. While his kid was suspended from football, Carter continued to devote his time to the program, working (unpaid obviously) with the other OSU receivers, and saying all the right things re: his own kid.

Cris is also quite close to Tressel, and they have communicated throughout, and as I said, Tressel hoped Duron would make the grade and return to OSU, and told Cris he wished the kid all the best wherever he landed. I hope Mike had a source of some kind for saying that OSU didn't want him back. (he does say "apparently")

It's another example of why I'm skeptical of people claiming to be able to discern from afar any 19-year old's "sense of entitlement".

Raise your hand if the worst college grades you ever had were in the first quarter of your freshman year. (Mine is up)

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:49 pm

danwismar wrote:It's another example of why I'm skeptical of people claiming to be able to discern from afar any 19-year old's "sense of entitlement".

i see you workin' you crafty basterd. ;-) It's one thing to flunk out of school as an 18 year old & be stuck in a circumstance, quite another to live with the TPeezy2 phresh real swag.

IIRC wasn't / isn't AFAIK Cris a recoevring alcoholic? Doesn't seem like the profile of an enaber.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:00 pm

That wasn't entirely for your benefit, JB. I know Peeker stops in here occasionally too. ;-) ;) :wink:

Yes, I believe CC wrestled with alcohol, but I think it was the the romance with the white powder that got him run out of Philly. Don't quote me.

Edit: Didn't want to slander the man, so I checked his Wikipedia page (AKA: the received wisdom) One clip:

Carter had a falling out with coach Buddy Ryan and was a surprise cut following the pre-season. Carter later admitted that Ryan released him because of alcohol and drug abuse, large amounts of ecstasy and marijuana being his drugs of choice, and credits his former coach with helping him turn his life around as a result.

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Never commented on Carter's sense of entitlement. Haven't seen him wear it, run it or tweet it like tpeezy2.

Luckily I caught this. As you can see from under my avatar it's not often I'm here.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 pm

Uncle!

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:40 pm

danwismar wrote:Uncle!

;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Did any of you base rubes catch the Bacchanalia refrence Peek dropped in TWW?

Outstanding.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:08 pm

How will we make up for Carter's lost production?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to College Sports Arena