Text Size

The Neutral Zone

NHL Draft

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

NHL Draft

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:10 am

Here's a quick primer for you guys for Friday night's first round on Versus.

The Jackets have the 4th pick and the best player available at their pick is going to be a defenseman. Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin will go #1 and #2, so one of Cam Fowler, Erik Gudbranson, and Brandon Gormley will be there at 4. Personally, I'm hoping for Fowler and several sources around the league are saying that Florida will take Gudbranson.

Fowler's a future stud IMO. He played for US in the World Juniors and had poise and maturity well beyond his years. He's a shutdown guy on defense, a perfect complement to John Moore.

If they want to go the forward route, and I think it's a mistake to do so, Brett Connolly will be the guy. He shot up the pre-draft rankings this season, so he's maximizing his value. I don't know if he's as good as he's ranked because he had such a rise up the rankings, but we'll see.

I think it's Fowler/Gormley or trade down. Taking a forward makes no sense with their lack of defensive depth and guys like Jan Hejda and Mike Commodore aren't getting any younger. They have a young core of forwards already with a couple other guys on the way.

Check out the draft if you guys get a chance. It's usually very exciting and it makes for great TV when Bettman steps to the podium and announces a trade and everybody's on the edge of their seat.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: NHL Draft

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:13 pm

D-FENSE!
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:54 pm

Brutal. Columbus has both D right in front of them, takes a center that they could have gotten at 8th or 9th overall.

I'm not a fan of that play. They have no defensemen depth. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Horrible.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:09 pm

All the mock drafts I have seen have them taking a D too. Apparently they didnt get that memo. Reading some of stuff online a lot of people are unhappy with the pick as well..

On a side note, went to the NHL draft when it was in C-Bus a few yrs back and it was excellent. Really interesting to see all that occurs that day live.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Return to The Neutral Zone