Text Size

No Holds Barred

Spill, baby, spill

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Re: Spill, baby, spill

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:24 am

Any Hussein Obama supporters want to try and convince me that the 100K new IRS agents hired/to be hired by Hussein, aka Empty Suit, aka Chief Running Mouth, were really hired for the new health care bill?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/22/gu ... uts-taxed/

NEW ORLEANS — Out-of-work Gulf Coast shrimper Todd Pellegal spent his first $2,500 check from BP quickly, paying off bills and buying groceries for his family.

He never even considered putting some of it away for taxes.

Now he's among the people up and down the Gulf Coast reeling from the oil spill disaster who are surprised — and frustrated — to find out the Internal Revenue Service may take a chunk of the payments BP PLC is providing to help them stay afloat.

Answer: No freaking way

The tax man cometh......like the days of King George
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Who cares?

If he where working he'd be paying taxes on that income. Those BP checks are to replace lost income, so what's the difference? These people are gonna be on BP's payroll 'till the Gulf is cleaned up.

But yeah, they hired more IRS workers because they knew there was going to be a massive oil spill in the Gulf Of BP.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:11 pm

Breaking News

Dateline New Orleans LA June 22, 2010

In a desperate measure to stop the flow of oil, BP announced today that a giant wedding ring will be lowered over the riser just below where the majority of oil is leaking.

A BP spokesperson was quoted as saying "We are hopeful this ring has the same effect on the well as it did on my wife. If so, the well should stop putting out in about 3 months or so."

:hide:
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:42 pm

:thumb up:
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:50 pm

But yeah, they hired more IRS workers because they knew there was going to be a massive oil spill in the Gulf Of BP.

Not what I meant at all but nice twist :thumb up:
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:

Not what I meant at all but nice twist :thumb up:

If I mistook your meaning then my bad.

If they gave the people living on the Gulf money Tax free I really wouldn't have a problem with it. But for folks down there to be surprised the IRS wants their Mafioso cut is a bit naive IMHO.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:13 am

We as a nation are a target rich environment and it is my humble opinion that these new agents were hired to come down on all of US to pay for what will be 2 centuries of debt incurred by the Rhetoric in Chief and not one fucking thing to do with healthcare as he slurred

The squeeze is on baby and woe be US if this tool manages to overcome his complete incompetence and get re-elected

To even mention taxing the victims at this time is just fucking ludicrous, insensitive and downright fucking ignirt

I believe if you put a crown on this incompetent ass's head, he'd crack a smile as big as his fucking ears

This whole situation is disgusting and the lack of cohesion among government agencies is rearing its ugly head again.

Where is the outrage over a distinct lack of leadership like during and after Katrina?

Meantime Hussein Obama is spending tax dollars suing states that belong to a REPUBLIC!!!!!! over his own inability and lack of willingness to address the illegal immigrant problem....kinda like when Clinton and his epic fail spent 10 mil suing Bill Gates

Let's not take care of little folks in a prompt manner but lets make sure the tax man comes to their doors, eh?

This tragedy is proving Hussein Obama to be the ignorant, unaccomplishing fool that many of us knew him to be in the first place

The entire gulf coast is one gigantic clusterfuck and no one is in charge

Convince me otherwise or submit....

...and btw, please don't ever feel the need to apologize to me. I'm too much of a dick and it makes me uncomfortable
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:53 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:To even mention taxing the victims at this time is just fucking ludicrous, insensitive and downright fucking ignirt

Yep.

End of thread!
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:39 pm

FUDU wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:To even mention taxing the victims at this time is just fucking ludicrous, insensitive and downright fucking ignirt

Yep.

End of thread!

So when is the right time to mention it?

If they wait 2 years and say "oh BTW you owe us tax money on that income you got from BP." people are just gonna bitch then.

FMB I don't think you want to call other people insensitive. ;-) ;) :wink:
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:50 pm

CDT is right there is no right time to mention the tax liability issue. They would have had to have the foresight to get ahead of the issue and announce the money as tax exempt. The Obama admin isn't that smart, but is smart enough to eventually do that, right?
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:28 pm

That is the point OJ, considering this money as income is laughable, IMO much like unemployment.

Not surprised just disappointed we don't get this kind of stuff right when we get the chance.

People's lives are ruined and a few thousand dollars is considered an income ::doh:: much like finding a driver on the tee box and keeping it is considered income by the IRS.

FUDU

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:55 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/ ... ponfishing

Really makes me die a little inside.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=100630/tarponfishing

Really makes me die a little inside.

Read this a little earlier today, but wasn't going to post it. Figured it would only be poignant for those who are die hard fisherman or can really picture that area from experience. Nice piece though, looking forward to the OTL segment.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Funny thing is government only gets money that it taxes from the citizens, yet when it returns that money in the form of transfer subsidy the money is taxed again...

I know of cetain loopholes and maximum limits, but it is bullshit to say the least. Of course the BP money is more gray. Government is forcing the issue, not letting it play out in court. I'd give it the tax free treatment either way if I were BHO.
Orenthal

Unread postby Spin » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Anatoly Sagalevich of Russia's Shirshov Institute of Oceanology warns that the Gulf of Mexico sea floor has been fractured “beyond all repair” and people should begin preparing for an ecological disaster “beyond comprehension” unless “extraordinary measures” are taken to stop the huge flow of oil.

According to Sagalevich’s report, the oil leaking into the Gulf of Mexico is not just coming from the 22 inch well bore site being shown on television, but from at least 18 other sites on the “fractured seafloor” with the largest being nearly 7 miles from where the Deepwater Horizon exploded and sank and is spewing oil in the Gulf of Mexico at an estimated 2 million gallons of oil a day.

However, the most interesting fact about Sagalevicvh’s findings is that the American government made Sagalevich and his co-workers sign a document stating that they would not realize their findings to the American public or media. However, Sagalevicvh and his coworkers have been giving hourly updates to BP and the American government.
Matthew Simmons, who was former United States President Bush’s energy advisor has said, ““Let the well run dry (taking 30 years, and probably ruining the Atlantic ocean) or nuking the well.” Obama will not even consider nuking the well and various people, including Russian and American experts are trying to press Obama on the urgency of this matter. However, there are even more news reports from different areas about the toxic rain affecting crops.

This disaster needs to be stopped somehow because it is only going to get worse as more oil spills into the Gulf of Mexico and brings more disaster to both wildlife and humans.

New Orleans Examiner Environmental Health Examiner
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Spin wrote:
Anatoly Sagalevich of Russia's Shirshov Institute of Oceanology warns that the Gulf of Mexico sea floor has been fractured “beyond all repair” and people should begin preparing for an ecological disaster “beyond comprehension” unless “extraordinary measures” are taken to stop the huge flow of oil.

I really, really hope this is not true.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
Spin wrote:

99.999% certainty this is a hoax. The original author, Sorcha Faal, has also written the following

US Arrest Of Blue Star ‘Psychic Spies’ Rocks Russia
To Featured on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:55 109
Obama Warns World Leaders ‘Millions Could Die’ From Gulf Oil Disaster
To Featured on Sunday, June 27, 2010 12:12 1657
Green Comet Of Doom Gives Grave Warning As Gulf Apocalypse Grows
To Featured on Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:45 574
Obama To Earn Nearly $85 Million From Gulf Oil Disaster
To Featured on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:45 870
Scientists Warn Gulf Of Mexico Sea Floor Fractured Beyond Repair
To Featured on Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:38 84320
Russia Orders Troops To Prepare For War With US
To Alternative on Monday, June 07, 2010 11:18 946
New Obama Law Warned Will Jail 500,000 Americans
To Alternative on Friday, May 28, 2010 9:58 378
Obama Threatens 14 US Governors With Immediate Arrest
To Obama on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:59 11409
Toxic Oil Spill Rains Warned Could Destroy North America
To Gulf Oil Spill on Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:22 8038
Top US Spy Chief Quits After Obama Orders 2 Americans Assassinated
To Alternative on Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:05

http://beforeitsnews.com/stories/by/0000000000000168
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:04 am

mattvan1 wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:
Spin wrote:

99.999% certainty this is a hoax. The original author, Sorcha Faal, has also written the following

US Arrest Of Blue Star ‘Psychic Spies’ Rocks Russia
To Featured on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:55 109
Obama Warns World Leaders ‘Millions Could Die’ From Gulf Oil Disaster
To Featured on Sunday, June 27, 2010 12:12 1657
Green Comet Of Doom Gives Grave Warning As Gulf Apocalypse Grows
To Featured on Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:45 574
Obama To Earn Nearly $85 Million From Gulf Oil Disaster
To Featured on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:45 870
Scientists Warn Gulf Of Mexico Sea Floor Fractured Beyond Repair
To Featured on Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:38 84320
Russia Orders Troops To Prepare For War With US
To Alternative on Monday, June 07, 2010 11:18 946
New Obama Law Warned Will Jail 500,000 Americans
To Alternative on Friday, May 28, 2010 9:58 378
Obama Threatens 14 US Governors With Immediate Arrest
To Obama on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:59 11409
Toxic Oil Spill Rains Warned Could Destroy North America
To Gulf Oil Spill on Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:22 8038
Top US Spy Chief Quits After Obama Orders 2 Americans Assassinated
To Alternative on Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:05

http://beforeitsnews.com/stories/by/0000000000000168

You mean everything we read on the internets isn't true?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:41 pm

FUDU

Unread postby smalls1129 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:17 pm

FUDU wrote:Gee wonder why we never see pictures like this on the 6 o'clock news.

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2010/07/11/bp-gulf-oil-spill-photos-show-bp-real-reason-constitution-suspended/

Absolutely despicable. I am not nor have had any affinity to the 'tree hugging' turned global warming movement. But what the players in this spill have allowed to not only happen, but be completely hidden from the people is horrid. And to have Michelle down in Florida this weekend saying that everything is safe and to go swimming is border line criminal. They have dumped so many more chemicals in there ON TOP of the toxic oil that went unfeathered for 80+ days.

Look, I don't care if the test from that day said it was safe to go wadding. What do you think common sense would have told anyone who saw any of the damage from relatively close parts of the SAME GULF. Whether they have it stopped or not doesn't even really matter at this point; there are still tons of whispers concerning the nuclear option being the only real option; as well as scientific reports that everyone is underestimating the methane levels and what those consequences may hold. Best case scenario is 'acid' rain and unpredictable/unforeseen future horrors for the southeast and gulf region.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby General » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:57 pm

There are 643 Quadrillion gallons of water in the Gulf, around 220 million gallons of oil gushed into the gulf which makes it .00000003% of the total volume of the gulf. While concentrations vary from site to site and time to time, Overall...well take a wade, it can't be any worse than what you breathe in at a tailgate with generators going and car exhaust concentrated in a few hundred square feet. I am NOT a BP shill, I live in Pensacola, and work all day along the gulf coast in the resort industry so the effects have been devastating but I am a slave to numbers and 3 one hundred millionths of a percent doesn't seem to bad. Obviously I wouldn't go wading in a giant tar mat, but I did swim in Lake Erie in the 70's and haven't mutated yet.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:45 pm

I've probably eaten more Dolphins then that in my Tuna. If a few animals have to die so I can have plastic and gasoline so be it...
Orenthal

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:47 pm

General wrote:There are 643 Quadrillion gallons of water in the Gulf, around 220 million gallons of oil gushed into the gulf which makes it .00000003% of the total volume of the gulf. While concentrations vary from site to site and time to time, Overall...well take a wade, it can't be any worse than what you breathe in at a tailgate with generators going and car exhaust concentrated in a few hundred square feet. I am NOT a BP shill, I live in Pensacola, and work all day along the gulf coast in the resort industry so the effects have been devastating but I am a slave to numbers and 3 one hundred millionths of a percent doesn't seem to bad. Obviously I wouldn't go wading in a giant tar mat, but I did swim in Lake Erie in the 70's and haven't mutated yet.

General, that just goes to show how thin the line is for balance in the ecological system. I'm no environmental whack job but it doesn't take much at all to upset a relatively small area. Its akin to our economic situation as well, right now two things go awry and we're back to March of 09.

FUDU

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:27 pm

General is the guy who pisses in the pool
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby General » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:16 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:General is the guy who pisses in the pool

Ah, the marvels of chlorine. :nanner:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:10 am

General wrote: which makes it .00000003% of the total volume of the gulf.

Specious reasoning, the spill isn't spread evenly throughout the Gulf, and most of the animals this will kill are migratory and use the wetlands as a place to breed.

Tide, currents and wind bring the oil on shore, fouling the beaches and marshes. Momma fish/ birds/ crabs swim in to lay eggs and get covered with oil/ chemicals. Some die, some make it to spawn. The eggs die soon after they are laid, or soon after birth. The mommas who didn't die on the way in, die on the way out. Cutting the population off at both ends.

And this will continue for years. The shrimp and crab industry probably won't recover from this. Both are primarily detritivores, and the oil will stay in the sediment for decades.

And if your going to take your family on vacation somewhere, why risk someone getting sick? I guess if you live there, a swim at the beach is fine, but nobody is going to fly down and stay for a week with their kids.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:43 am

^I'm not sold.

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2010/04/can-microbes-save-the-gulf-beach.html

The Erff has quite a way of healing itself, even from the God like powers of man. btw I won't argue short term or very localized issues. Sucks for them, all I can say is go find something else. I'm sure most already have...
Orenthal

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:27 am

As those bacteria metabolize the oil, they burn up oxygen. More oil, more bacteria, less oxygen. Creates enormous Dead Zones, larger than the ones that already occur in the Gulf every year. Those that can swim away do, those that can't, die. Not to mention adding phosphorous and nitrogen speed up oil degredation because they fertilize microorganisms. All microorganisms. Even the ones that produce toxins that kill animals and close beaches.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:04 pm

Personally I'm not sure if I'm more worried about the eocological impact or the effort to keep us from knowing the truths

One thing for sure, the environment and the animals will adapt and change faster than the politcal process
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Damn OJ you sound a bit cold today. I understand the whole notion that living there is a person's (stupid) choice to a degree, as in the risks of a Katrina. This is so different though. It is just not that easy to wipe the chalk board clean and start life over. Granted some might have to do that, it is still difficult and might require years of help.

Bill is correct that wildlife will adapt and survive better, well at least the wildlife that lives through this, but those people are in a bad spot and the long term effects on the animal world are very unknown.

If a species misses just one or two spawning seasons that could be the end of the road.

FUDU

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:55 pm

FUDU wrote:I understand the whole notion that living there is a person's (stupid) choice to a degree

The area they show often and report from (Grande Isle) is vacation homes and fishing camps for the most part, same with many areas along the coast (Dularge, Dulac, Montegut, Venice, etc). Not a great deal of primary homes down there. Even at that, I know a handful of people who have had places down there for 25-30 years and have never had any issues with home damage throughout any of the major storms.

If you choose to make your primary residence off of a fault line in California or in the middle of Tornado Alley in Oklahoma, is that also a stupid choice?
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby smalls1129 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:If you choose to make your primary residence off of a fault line in California or in the middle of Tornado Alley in Oklahoma, is that also a stupid choice?

Absolutely it is stupid. Like those idiots that get interviewed every year when the mudslides begin. There were interviews last year where people were talking about rebuilding for the third or fourth time. You really expect me to feel sorry for your dumb ass when you keep building your home in a place where you know you're putting you home and family in danger, just ignorant at that point.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm

smalls1129 wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:If you choose to make your primary residence off of a fault line in California or in the middle of Tornado Alley in Oklahoma, is that also a stupid choice?

Absolutely it is stupid. Like those idiots that get interviewed every year when the mudslides begin. There were interviews last year where people were talking about rebuilding for the third or fourth time. You really expect me to feel sorry for your dumb ass when you keep building your home in a place where you know you're putting you home and family in danger, just ignorant at that point.

I guess my point is that you have to balance the positives and negatives. If I'm living in the Florida Keys, I run the risk of getting a major tropical storm every other year or so. I can eliminate that possibility by moving to Detroit or Newark, but fuck that noise. There are negatives to living almost anywhere. I don't live in New Orleans, but it sure isn't because of hurricanes.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby General » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
General wrote: which makes it .00000003% of the total volume of the gulf.

Specious reasoning, the spill isn't spread evenly throughout the Gulf, and most of the animals this will kill are migratory and use the wetlands as a place to breed.

Tide, currents and wind bring the oil on shore, fouling the beaches and marshes. Momma fish/ birds/ crabs swim in to lay eggs and get covered with oil/ chemicals. Some die, some make it to spawn. The eggs die soon after they are laid, or soon after birth. The mommas who didn't die on the way in, die on the way out. Cutting the population off at both ends.

And this will continue for years. The shrimp and crab industry probably won't recover from this. Both are primarily detritivores, and the oil will stay in the sediment for decades.

And if your going to take your family on vacation somewhere, why risk someone getting sick? I guess if you live there, a swim at the beach is fine, but nobody is going to fly down and stay for a week with their kids.

If you would have bothered to read my qualifier concerning concentration areas instead of picking out a single line of my post, I am well aware of the differences in concentration of the oil. Also, I am well aware of the long term impact of this disaster as it pertains to the wildlife, so do me a favor and try not to instruct us on the obvious. Perceptions on this disaster will hinder tourism and travel to this region for years thanks to doomsayers, similar to you. Next time you are grading "papers" look at the entire body of work as opposed to one single line, you are better than that.
General

Unread postby General » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:16 pm

Someone point me in the direction of the most perfectly safe place to live. So I can patiently wait for the asteroid to hit.
Last edited by General on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:17 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
FUDU wrote:I understand the whole notion that living there is a person's (stupid) choice to a degree

The area they show often and report from (Grande Isle) is vacation homes and fishing camps for the most part, same with many areas along the coast (Dularge, Dulac, Montegut, Venice, etc). Not a great deal of primary homes down there. Even at that, I know a handful of people who have had places down there for 25-30 years and have never had any issues with home damage throughout any of the major storms.

If you choose to make your primary residence off of a fault line in California or in the middle of Tornado Alley in Oklahoma, is that also a stupid choice?
IMO yes. I'm not trying to be a dick, or judgmental or argumentative. I'm just pointing out that living in an area in which mother nature can be extremely volatile (on a rather consistent basis) is a very high risk. I'm know the area can be nice, the people are good people and I know there is risk anywhere, but man knowing that any given day a storm/mother nature can come in and force you to start your life over is a tough tough way to go.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:19 pm

General wrote:Someone point me in the direction of the most perfectly safe place to live. So I can patiently wait fot the asteroid to hit.
LOL.

FUDU

Unread postby General » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:23 pm

FUDU wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:

IMO yes. I'm not trying to be a dick, or judgmental or argumentative. I'm just pointing out that living in an area in which mother nature can be extremely volatile (on a rather consistent basis) is a very high risk. I'm know the area can be nice, the people are good people and I know there is risk anywhere, but man knowing that any given day a storm/mother nature can come in and force you to start your life over is a tough tough way to go.

I am good with natural disasters in my area, it is the man made ones that could have been prevented through normal precautions that really bug me, along with the doomsayers, who love to predict the inevitable destruction of an entire region due to corporate malfeasance.
General

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:49 pm

FUDU wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:

No doubt it's a risk and something that you should take into consideration, but it's not the only factor that cripples an area of the country. Crime, economic plight, etc, etc are all real factors as well. In addition, if I'm taking my pick of natural disasters I'm going with tropical storms over tornadoes, quakes or slides any day.

Also, I didn't take your post as aggressive, offensive, or anything of the nature. I've always enjoyed conversing back and forth with you on here regardless of what side of the coin we take.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:22 am

General wrote:Someone point me in the direction of the most perfectly safe place to live. So I can patiently wait for the asteroid to hit.

Guess I'm a winner. Only thing to fear here is a hippie riot over a granola shortage at Whole Foods

:dingle:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:07 am

General wrote:If you would have bothered to read my qualifier concerning concentration areas instead of picking out a single line of my post, I am well aware of the differences in concentration of the oil. Also, I am well aware of the long term impact of this disaster as it pertains to the wildlife, so do me a favor and try not to instruct us on the obvious. Perceptions on this disaster will hinder tourism and travel to this region for years thanks to doomsayers, similar to you. Next time you are grading "papers" look at the entire body of work as opposed to one single line, you are better than that.

Considering the crux of your statement was to point out the small percentage of oil leaked compared to the voulme of the entire Gulf, I'd say I was spot on. Slave to the numbers, even if they are misrepresented? You're right, if there's no oil on the beach, take a swim. But any oil would certainly cause you to stay at home. If it's not there now, I'd bet it will be soon. Perhaps if there were more doomsayers, the rules would be a little tighter, such as requiring a relief well to be drilled at the same time, and maybe this could have been averted.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby General » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:36 am

I would prefer that in an ecologically sensitive area when dealing with a volatile substance that there would be some redundancy in safety measure. But I wouldn't call them doomsayers, I would think that that would prudent precautions. There wasn't any precautions and the simultaneous drilling of a relief well is an excellent idea (it will hopefully become the norm), for now we deal with it. But for the most part the impact on beaches of Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, and Bay counties has been relatively light considering the proximity of the bulk of the oil. Unfortunately, the gulf coasts of Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana have not been as fortunate. I can see the point concerning the tourist, who waits all year for his beach vacation only to be inundated by the doomsayers from the media painting the picture of horror. After seeing those images that were flowing more freely than the oil, hell, I would vacation in Detroit for goddsake. But good news is not news so they must paint the dramatic picture of apocalypse. So far as my numbers, they are not misinterpreted, as I qualified the calculation concerning concentration and location. ("While concentrations vary from site to site and time to time"). At any rate the beaches in the five counties above have been relatively unscathed and to my unscientific and numerically enslaved mind, safe.
General

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:08 pm

General wrote: At any rate the beaches in the five counties above have been relatively unscathed and to my unscientific and numerically enslaved mind, safe.

And I hope they remain that way. Have they set up any booms off shore? I've seen Crist (I believe) echoing your position on TV.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby General » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:43 pm

They have boomed off what they can, but an enormous volume of water along with boat traffic moving through makes it tough. In my opinion, Okaloosa County (Destin, Fort Walton Beach) have done the best job due in no small part is that they took matters into their own hands and have set up like a 5 pronged approach at Destin Pass (a very beautiful area for all types of recreation, by the way) to keep the oil out of the bays. Further east there has been almost zero impact so it is tough to say what their results will be in Bay (Panama City Beach) and Walton (a hugely upscale area called 30A) counties. But if the damn thing remains plugged, although an infinite amount of work remains to be done ecologically, possibly tourism can begin repairing the perception for next year. The real sad thing is that I believe that it is more beautiful here in Sep-Nov. You can still get in beach time without the oppressive summer heat and crowds are thin. But realistically once July ends, business drops off a cliff. Funny only a guy from Cleveland would think of it in terms of next year.
General

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:51 am

Looks like they have just about shut this thing off.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100805/ap_ ... _oil_spill

I really don't believe this statement.

But almost three-quarters of the nearly 207 million gallons of oil that leaked overall has been collected at the well by a temporary containment cap, been cleaned up or chemically dispersed, or naturally deteriorated, evaporated or dissolved, the report said.

Let's hope that dispersent doesn't have any dire effects.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:24 pm

It's over, believe it...

I use more dispersents to get my whites clean after shitting myslef listening to liberal doom and gloom at the coffee shop.

Go back to global warming.
Orenthal

Previous

Return to No Holds Barred