Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Captain Phil Harris Dead at 53

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Captain Phil Harris Dead at 53

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Phil Harris, captain of the Cornelia Marie on the Discovery Channel show Deadliest Catch has died from complications following a a stroke.

http://www.newsnet5.com/entertainment/2 ... etail.html
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Captain Phil Harris Dead at 53

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:32 pm

That sucks, he was my favorite character on the show.

I wonder if it will be included in the next season of the show.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:42 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:That sucks, he was my favorite character on the show.

I wonder if it will be included in the next season of the show.

Are you kidding me? Those guys have been hoping someone they were filming fell off the starboard side for years now. A death is right in the reality TV wheelhouse. Not to mention it's right in the middle of their filming season.

By the way, he and Sig are classic. But man, that's a hard friggin life. No sleep. no exercise poor diet....53's about the life expectancy of a cat like that. I'm actually interested in seeing who takes over that boat. It sounds like Harris leased the vessel. Not sure how that works out there.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm with you Pipe, I'm definitely a big Sig fan. Edgar too. Then Phil.

I wonder if Phil had it written in his will somewhere that the boat goes to his sons. Maybe if it is leased, he'll leave some money in a trust for the kids to buy the boat.

CDT, I assume they do some Phil Harris episode showing some of his best moments and talking with all the captains about him in the bar they usually do special episodes in. There'll be a lot of tears shed amongst those guys and honestly, I'll probably tear up too. I think that's the beauty of the show. That's such a miserable lifestyle and they portray it so well. You feel like you get close to the captains and some of the crew. Like what happened with Jake from the Northwestern and his sister last year. You couldn't help but feel for the dude.

It's one of the best shows on TV.

Edit: Jake, not Josh
Last edited by skatingtripods on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
CDT, I assume they do some Phil Harris episode showing some of his best moments and talking with all the captains about him in the bar they usually do special episodes in. There'll be a lot of tears shed amongst those guys and honestly, I'll probably tear up too. I think that's the beauty of the show. That's such a miserable lifestyle and they portray it so well. You feel like you get close to the captains and some of the crew. Like what happened with Josh from the Northwestern and his sister last year. You couldn't help but feel for the dude.

It's one of the best shows on TV.

+1

I was having a good day until I saw the news this morning and it brought me back down to earth. He was my favorite to watch on the show (the Hansen clan a close second) because he seemed like a real, pull no punches kinda guy. Some people get all dramatic when on tv (see the Wizard captain) but Phil seemed like the real deal. A guy you could share a cold one with if you met him out in the world.

RIP Phil and my condolences to his family during this tough time..

Not to pile on but it looks like Jake from the Northwestern is having even more family problems..

http://www.deadliestcatchtv.com/uncategorized/jake-andersons-father-missing-since-january-6th/
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Fubar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:20 pm

He was definitely a character. Told you how it was. Las season he had to leave the boat because he was having trouble with clots. That kind of life is tough on anyone, his stress level was through the roof. He will be missed.
Fubar

Favorite Player: Jerry Sherk
Least Favorite Player: any Steeler

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:45 pm

Dude chain smoked cigarettes and pounded Redbull last year, that shit can't be good for your brain. Combine that with the stress involved and it will shorten your life sadly.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:39 am

A tribute is being planned by Discovery for Captain Phil..

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118015032.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby jack_tors » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:33 am

Apparently cameras were rolling during Capt Phil's final days. A decision will be made with his sons on how to handle it all. Also, a couple tributes are planned for this coming spring.

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/02/16/capt-phil-harris-filming-hospital-deadliest-catch/

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby DarNoor » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:48 am

New season starts tonight.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby Cease » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Anyone else watching this season of Deadliest Catch?

SPOILER:

Just caught up on DRV and I've got to say that Phil's kid Jake getting caught copping the old man's pills and the subsequent exchange between the two was damn compelling.

I had the benefit of watching three episodes in a row, and the producers/editors did a hell of a job foreshadowing the revelation without being heavy handed. It's a place this show has never gone, and Jake's stoned-ass admission of being an addict to his father/captain was visceral.

Phil is (was) as old school and hardened as it gets. I want to see if/how he handled this before he died.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:49 pm

The Red Bull and cigarettes played a huge part, but Jake killed his dad. He was a little punk ass the whole time on this show. Obviously he has some serious problems, but nothing drove up Phil's blood pressure and stress level like his kid.

A real sad story all around, that's for sure. I hope they mended their fences before Phil passed.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:52 pm

skatingtripods wrote:The Red Bull and cigarettes played a huge part, but Jake killed his dad. He was a little punk ass the whole time on this show. Obviously he has some serious problems, but nothing drove up Phil's blood pressure and stress level like his kid.

A real sad story all around, that's for sure. I hope they mended their fences before Phil passed.

There are a lot of kids that are a bigger pain in the ass than Jake. Haven't heard about them killing their dad through stress. I would put my money on his health problems being from Cigs, Red Bull, Bacon, the drugs he admitted he has taken, no sleep, diet, and just general lifestyle more than his kid.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:43 pm

skatingtripods wrote:The Red Bull and cigarettes played a huge part, but Jake killed his dad. He was a little punk ass the whole time on this show. Obviously he has some serious problems, but nothing drove up Phil's blood pressure and stress level like his kid.

Phil killed Phil. He let those kids walk all over him. An enabler.

Great guy, but the 9,000 cigarette a day habit, being overweight , and not walking 400 yards a day is what killed the guy.

Least suprising death ever.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:14 pm

leadpipe wrote:Least suprising death ever.

I still have Chris Henry at the time of my list. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:35 pm

peeker643 wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Least suprising death ever.

I still have Chris Henry at the time of my list. ;-) ;) :wink:

My fault, I meant, "least suprising non-multiple felony death"

For the record, Chris Henry was at the top of my "least suprising bastard producer" list. I don't have a "fallin outta the back of a truck driven by baby mama" list, so that m.o.d. came as a bit of a suprise. Figured him for a strip club capping.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:15 pm

That was a real tough episode to stomach. I imagine the next 2 will be even harder as they will show the majority of the footage shot. Like him or not, it was really hard to watch the pain of that incident.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:02 pm

jack_tors wrote:That was a real tough episode to stomach. I imagine the next 2 will be even harder as they will show the majority of the footage shot. Like him or not, it was really hard to watch the pain of that incident.

I read that they were going to clear with the family any footage they showed concerning that incident, and by the looks of tonight's show, it seems the family told them to go ahead and show what you want.

Real tough episode if you're a fan of the show. Watchin' that cat die over the next couple a weeks is going to be no fun, especially with family so close to the scene.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:41 pm

I don't blame that kid at all.

Sounds like he's just like his dad at that age.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:46 pm

Johnathan Hillstrand and Josh Harris were on Leno last night. I checked it out and Josh said that before his father's first pulmonary embolism, Phil would smoke 9.5 packs per day.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:59 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Johnathan Hillstrand and Josh Harris were on Leno last night. I checked it out and Josh said that before his father's first pulmonary embolism, Phil would smoke 9.5 packs per day.

You mean to tell me he couldn't fit those last ten nails in at some point in the day?
Johnathan is in Painesville's Party in the Park (which is in the Square) this Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 2pm-8pm each day signing copies of his book.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Yeah I saw that bit on Leno too. 9 and a half packs a day has got to be an exaggeration.

That's 190 cigarettes a day. Assuming 5 minutes per cigarette, that would mean he smoked for 15 hours and 50 minutes each day. That leaves him only 8 hours and 10 minutes a day for sleep and anything else that he couldnt have been smoking at the same time.

I know its petty and meaningless, but it had me up thinking for a few minutes.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:58 pm

not to mention that if they are 4 bucks a pack he is spending $40 a day on smokes. Freaking $1200 a month to smoke. That is more than a lot of people's mortgages. No wonder those empty pots pissed him off so much.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby mitch » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:15 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Yeah I saw that bit on Leno too. 9 and a half packs a day has got to be an exaggeration.

That's 190 cigarettes a day. Assuming 5 minutes per cigarette, that would mean he smoked for 15 hours and 50 minutes each day. That leaves him only 8 hours and 10 minutes a day for sleep and anything else that he couldnt have been smoking at the same time.

I know its petty and meaningless, but it had me up thinking for a few minutes.

Considering they average something like 3 - 4 hours sleep per day while out fishing, and the rest of the time the captain is in the wheel house, even while eating, that number might just be accurate.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Ziner wrote:not to mention that if they are 4 bucks a pack he is spending $40 a day on smokes. Freaking $1200 a month to smoke. That is more than a lot of people's mortgages. No wonder those empty pots pissed him off so much.

4 bucks? I'm moving to Colorado. Its up to $13 in Brooklyn.

And mitch, wow. I dont watch the show so I didnt realize the level of dedication it requires.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:15 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
Ziner wrote:not to mention that if they are 4 bucks a pack he is spending $40 a day on smokes. Freaking $1200 a month to smoke. That is more than a lot of people's mortgages. No wonder those empty pots pissed him off so much.

4 bucks? I'm moving to Colorado. Its up to $13 in Brooklyn.

And mitch, wow. I dont watch the show so I didnt realize the level of dedication it requires.

I was low-balling. I have no idea what type of taxes they have in Alaska. I think they are a little over $5 here, I am not sure because I dont smoke.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby mitch » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:43 pm

$4 - $5 per pack here in North Carolina.

Which is why there is quite the lucrative illegal bootlegging enterprise set up bringing cartons to the northeast from Kentucky and NC.

I'm so glad I've never smoked. When I can get a 6 pack of almost anything in NC for the cost of a pack of smokes...makes no sense to me. But then again; booze IS the priority here.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture