Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Great Lakes New One: Lake Erie Monster IPA

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Great Lakes New One: Lake Erie Monster IPA

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Wham with the right hand. 9.1% IPA. Tried to go mano y mano w a 4 pack tonight and my corner threw in the towel after three.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Great Lakes New One: Lake Erie Monster IPA

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:42 pm

swerb wrote:Wham with the right hand. 9.1% IPA. Tried to go mano y mano w a 4 pack tonight and my corner threw in the towel after three.

Two's enough. Two is "Lean on the chair to steady yourself when you get up to walk" enough.

Littlest bit of citrus finish to cleverly mask the potency.

Brilliant.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:10 am

a real man finishes what he starts ;-) ;) :wink:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby waborat » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:35 am

Tried to drink 2+ while grilling last weekend...

Needless to say, my beef ended up well done, corn became a broom stick and the garlic bread was black...

Had to order pizza
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:38 pm

Ale is for barbarians.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Well, that confirms my trip back at some point this summer. Sounds like heaven.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:48 am

Is it any good?

Do they actually sell it past W 44th st?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:49 pm

Its on draught at 1899 in Downtown Willoughby. Stuff is really complex. Strong DIPA with a touch of citrus and malty finish. Reminds me a bit of Stoudts DIPA. And no way is Luke only brewing that stuff at 9.1%. I know thats whats on the bottle, but GLBC is notorious for sandbagging their ABV especially with specialty brews.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:31 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Its on draught at 1899 in Downtown Willoughby. Stuff is really complex. Strong DIPA with a touch of citrus and malty finish. Reminds me a bit of Stoudts DIPA. And no way is Luke only brewing that stuff at 9.1%. I know thats whats on the bottle, but GLBC is notorious for sandbagging their ABV especially with specialty brews.

Perfect description of the beer. Never heard that about them sandbagging the ABV, but it makes sense. The draft versions of all their bottled beers are higher ABV when you go there. And the ABV math on Great Lakes beers has never made sense to me. Even at 9.1%, drinking two beers should not produce the insane buzz that the Lake Erie Monster does. To me, two of those produce a bigger and badder buzz than an entire bottle of wine. Or at least it seems like it.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby waborat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Yes, it is more potent than vino...

I really think the decimal needs to move to the right
waborat

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:03 am

swerb wrote:
RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Its on draught at 1899 in Downtown Willoughby. Stuff is really complex. Strong DIPA with a touch of citrus and malty finish. Reminds me a bit of Stoudts DIPA. And no way is Luke only brewing that stuff at 9.1%. I know thats whats on the bottle, but GLBC is notorious for sandbagging their ABV especially with specialty brews.

Perfect description of the beer. Never heard that about them sandbagging the ABV, but it makes sense. The draft versions of all their bottled beers are higher ABV when you go there. And the ABV math on Great Lakes beers has never made sense to me. Even at 9.1%, drinking two beers should not produce the insane buzz that the Lake Erie Monster does. To me, two of those produce a bigger and badder buzz than an entire bottle of wine. Or at least it seems like it.

In regards to the ABV, remember the 2007 and 2009/2010 batches of Christmas Ale? I do, because I drank a pitcher and a half in the first 5 innings of game 6 of the ALCS. Tha 2007 was easily the strongest it was ever made both in spice/hops and ABV. Its always labeled as 7.5%, but no way on earth that stuff wasn't over 9 or 10. This past years version was awful. I don't know if that was because Luke was gone, but GLBC has had some serious brewing problems in the last 6 to 8 months. My friend Brian works for a distributor in Cleveland and about 2 months ago, they had an order of 500 barrels of Dortmunder and GLBC only shipped 99. They seriously need to consider finding a bigger location because they've expanded their distribution so much in the last 5 years. The demand is outgrowing the facility and it would be a shame if that is impacting both the availability and quality of the brew (which so far it hasn't at least locally). Anyone exicted for Market Beer Garden across the street?
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:08 pm

Anyone exicted for Market Beer Garden across the street?

very much so.

any updates or details related to opening?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:48 pm

jb wrote:

very much so.

Only this:

http://www.marketgardenbrewery.com/

No real details as to when they are opening but I would imagine sometime by late summer/early fall.

I'm interested, but in terms of beer, I hope this place doesn't entirely feature Belgians and IPAs. Bier Market already takes the cake on that front and while Market Garden is a stand-alone brewery, I hope Andy uses his talent in much the same mold he did while at Dogfish Head. The hop-head style isn't the only way to go which is why I appreciate what McNaultey has done with Ballantine in terms of diverse and rare selections on tap. Right now they have New Holland Pilgrim's Dole Wheatwine on tap which is made like a Barleywine but uses 50% wheat malt in the mash. Unreal stuff.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:43 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
jb wrote:

very much so.

Only this:

No real details as to when they are opening but I would imagine sometime by late summer/early fall.

I'm interested, but in terms of beer, I hope this place doesn't entirely feature Belgians and IPAs. Bier Market already takes the cake on that front and while Market Garden is a stand-alone brewery, I hope Andy uses his talent in much the same mold he did while at Dogfish Head. The hop-head style isn't the only way to go which is why I appreciate what McNaultey has done with Ballantine in terms of diverse and rare selections on tap. Right now they have New Holland Pilgrim's Dole Wheatwine on tap which is made like a Barleywine but uses 50% wheat malt in the mash. Unreal stuff.

Man, I'd sign up for a beer tour with you.

Did you say this brewmaster was from Dogfish? They do some nice stuff, not an overwhelming selection and very specialized IMO, but decent stuff.

What is Ballantine?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Coming into town tomorrow morning, I think I'm going to hit up Great lakes in the am either Thursday or Friday
JCoz

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:48 pm

JCoz wrote:
jb wrote:

very much so.

Only this:

Did you say this brewmaster was from Dogfish? They do some nice stuff, not an overwhelming selection and very specialized IMO, but decent stuff.

What is Ballantine?

Ballantine's in downtown Willoughby, correct? Downtown Willoughby is great. Lots of bars, all different.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:Ballantine's in downtown Willoughby, correct? Downtown Willoughby is great. Lots of bars, all different.

Yes.

Check out the beers on the front page: http://www.ballantinewilloughby.com/index_2.html

D'Town Willoughby is a tremendous little well-kept secret. Very clean, nice, safe and some diverse pubs/breweries as you noted.

Brewing an Imperial IPA with a buddy as we speak. 9.2% and an IBU somewhere in the 65-75 range. 5 gallons of that that we started a month ago and will be ready in a few more weeks. Brewed that shit, added the yeast, racked it, bottled it, etc. You drink the last batch you made while you make the next one. ;-) ;) :wink:

Next up is a Big Honkin Stout. I keep seeing my wine and beer tastes go darker and darker so the stout and a porter are a couple I'm looking forward to. I'll drink this IPA but I'd prefer less bitterness.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:41 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Motherscratcher wrote:Ballantine's in downtown Willoughby, correct? Downtown Willoughby is great. Lots of bars, all different.

Yes.

Check out the beers on the front page: http://www.ballantinewilloughby.com/index_2.html

D'Town Willoughby is a tremendous little well-kept secret. Very clean, nice, safe and some diverse pubs/breweries as you noted.

Brewing an Imperial IPA with a buddy as we speak. 9.2% and an IBU somewhere in the 65-75 range. 5 gallons of that that we started a month ago and will be ready in a few more weeks. Brewed that shit, added the yeast, racked it, bottled it, etc. You drink the last batch you made while you make the next one. ;-) ;) :wink:

Next up is a Big Honkin Stout. I keep seeing my wine and beer tastes go darker and darker so the stout and a porter are a couple I'm looking forward to. I'll drink this IPA but I'd prefer less bitterness.

Ahh if only I had the time and space to brew my own beer. I will do that once I get a real house where I won't just brew, but have a temp-regulated celler to age some of the stuff that deserves it (good barleywines, imperial stouts, old ales, etc). Peek, what type of hops did you use to make that DIPA - Centennial? Simcoe? Cascade?

By the way, Save On Tobacco at the corner of 306 and 20 has one of, if not the best, selections of Micros in the state. Im a frequent customer there and months back, Sammy set aside a special treat for me that is only released one day a year: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Bought the 4 pack for a steep price, but easily one of the top 3 imperial stouts of alltime right up there with The Abyss, Speedway Stout, and Southern Tier Choklat.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:48 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Ahh if only I had the time and space to brew my own beer. I will do that once I get a real house where I won't just brew, but have a temp-regulated celler to age some of the stuff that deserves it (good barleywines, imperial stouts, old ales, etc). Peek, what type of hops did you use to make that DIPA - Centennial? Simcoe? Cascade?

Cascade.

I'm also told they're easy to grow but that they require a lot of room and they grow like ivy. Also not sure what the yield is growing your own. A lot of hops to make your own stuff is pelletized (looks like rabbit food). I might replace Skoal with that stuff. ;-) ;) :wink: So good.
My buddy makes it all. He ferments it in a basement when necessary but he'll make tons of dandelion wine, raspberry, blueberry, etc. Tomato brandy is something you have to taste to understand as well. Unreal good. Not to mention all the beers we're starting to brew. Bottling is a bit tediuos as is cleaning the caps and bottles but all in all it's enjoyable. Nothing like having our friends here and busting out 22oz bottles of your own stuff to fill glasses with.

A draft/kegerator system for our own stuff is on the horizon.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:03 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
JCoz wrote:
jb wrote:

very much so.

Only this:

What is Ballantine?

Ballantine's in downtown Willoughby, correct? Downtown Willoughby is great. Lots of bars, all different.

Yep, right there on Erie Street. Ballantine, 1899, Willoughby Brewing (which has gone very down hill over the years but their Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls are still WINZORS), Mullarkey's, Lure, Oliver Twist, Frank and Tony's, and Jons have something to offer for every walk of life. I love it, and love living only a mile right down 20 from there.

Andy was one of the original brewmasters at Great Lakes until 2000. I think he went to to Flying Dog (Frederick Brewing Company) for awhile then to Dogfish in 2004 where he was head brewmaster until winter of 2009.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:28 pm

peeker643 wrote:
RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Ahh if only I had the time and space to brew my own beer. I will do that once I get a real house where I won't just brew, but have a temp-regulated celler to age some of the stuff that deserves it (good barleywines, imperial stouts, old ales, etc). Peek, what type of hops did you use to make that DIPA - Centennial? Simcoe? Cascade?

Cascade.

I'm also told they're easy to grow but that they require a lot of room and they grow like ivy. Also not sure what the yield is growing your own. A lot of hops to make your own stuff is pelletized (looks like rabbit food). I might replace Skoal with that stuff. ;-) ;) :wink: So good.
My buddy makes it all. He ferments it in a basement when necessary but he'll make tons of dandelion wine, raspberry, blueberry, etc. Tomato brandy is something you have to taste to understand as well. Unreal good. Not to mention all the beers we're starting to brew. Bottling is a bit tediuos as is cleaning the caps and bottles but all in all it's enjoyable. Nothing like having our friends here and busting out 22oz bottles of your own stuff to fill glasses with.

A draft/kegerator system for our own stuff is on the horizon.

I am excited about this - I bought some books about 6 months ago, going to try to brew the first batch here in July.

Was supposed to be a while ago, but another project took my attention for the last few months...
JCoz

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:06 pm

I grew up in Willoughby within walking distance of downtown. My parents occasionally wake up to find me on their couch, although the older I get, the less that happens.

Always was interested in brewing my own stuff. Figured I'd try it out a few times at one of those brew places that sets you up and shows you what to do start to finish. I just have never gotten around to doing it. I'm not far from Brewkeepers in North Ridgeville. Anybody ever try one of those places?
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Peeker - What are some of the names you've slapped on your concoctions?
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:42 pm

I was just informed that a small restaurant called NOVA in Delaware, OH has Lake Erie Monster on tap. I need to get there soon before it is gone. They tend to have at least one Great Lakes at all times which is always a good reason to go there.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Motherscratcher wrote: I'm not far from Brewkeepers in North Ridgeville. Anybody ever try one of those places?

I got a gift certificate to that place for my birthday some years back. It was great. Made a ton beer (a red I believe).

Named mine "Thirsty Carpenter". The label had a picture of Jesus carrying a cross and a beer mug.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby waborat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:Peeker - What are some of the names you've slapped on your concoctions?

Baldweiser :lmfao:
waborat

Unread postby waborat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:39 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Frank and Tony's

One of my favorite stomping grounds in the summer on hump days...

10 cent wings and $1 domestic drafts outside on the patio...

Poured by a gothic chick :spanky:
waborat

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:54 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:Peeker - What are some of the names you've slapped on your concoctions?

Eye-Puncher Ale is a standard. I'm just getting into doing the brewing so I'm still toying with names.

But the Brew Kettle and places like that are great places to get your feet wet.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 am

peeker643 wrote:

Eye-Puncher Ale is a standard. I'm just getting into doing the brewing so I'm still toying with names.

Peek, if you get the chance, head out to mentor and go to Save On or that new Wine/Beer place across from Great Lakes Mall on route 20 (its in the same plaza as Jade Tree and Titans Gym). They have Tiny from Weyerbacher in magnums. If you haven't had it, its a Belgian Style imperial stout. Got a few for my dad on Fathers Day and wow, whole new element that I had yet experienced in an imperial stout.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:19 am

peeker643 wrote:

Peek, if you get the chance, head out to mentor and go to Save On or that new Wine/Beer place across from Great Lakes Mall on route 20 (its in the same plaza as Jade Tree and Titans Gym). They have Tiny from Weyerbacher in magnums. If you haven't had it, its a Belgian Style imperial stout. Got a few for my dad on Fathers Day and wow, whole new element that I had yet experienced in an imperial stout.

Might have to hit that on the way home. Off after today for a four day weekend that starts with a Tiger Woods 2010 tourny tonight with the guys that have gotten me into this brewing thing.

Hate being the guy who gets snobby about beers but damn if that ain't the way I'm headed. I haven't gotten to the point where I'll refuse a Bud Light at someone's house, but I sure can't make a day of that stuff.

Probably a good thing actually.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:42 am

peeker643 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Might have to hit that on the way home. Off after today for a four day weekend that starts with a Tiger Woods 2010 tourny tonight with the guys that have gotten me into this brewing thing.

Hate being the guy who gets snobby about beers but damn if that ain't the way I'm headed. I haven't gotten to the point where I'll refuse a Bud Light at someone's house, but I sure can't make a day of that stuff.

Probably a good thing actually.

Don't worry about the beer snob thing. Personally, I find that most beer enthusiasts like myself just like really good beer. I know there are some out there that lift their nose to the Coors, Miller, and Budweiser, but overall its just a preference of trying new things. Shit, I am only 27 and I have tried well over 400 beers but if someone offers me a Coors on a hot day, ill damn sure take it.

What really pisses me off, at least in the craft-brewing/beer enthusiast circles, is this notion that Hop-Heads are somehow more fucking enlightened than other equally schooled and knowledgeable beer fans. I can't tell you how many times I've had discussions at Ballantine, 1899, or Bier Market and there is always some jackass praddling off about how IPAs are the end-all be-all of microbrewing. Guess what, America didn't develop the practice of microbrewing asshole and IPA's don't define the concept in the least. Every German village has been doing it for the past 500-600 years (mostly hefes, bocks, helles lagers) and pretty damn well at that.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:47 am

By the way Peek, what is your favorite beer, or since its easier to answer, favorite style of beer/brewery?

I gotta say, after trying Aventinus a few years ago, Weizenbocks might just be my favorite behind imperial stouts. I've liked dark beer since I was a kid and it always kept growing on me as I tried more of them. I guess it really depends on the season. I love stouts anytime, but if I am sitting outside in NEO 95 heat/humidity, I'd glady take a good Hefe, Pilsner, or Pale Ale to cool off.

I suggest that should be our Top 5 question this week - Top 5 beers/alcholic drinks by lo-cal/brewery/winery.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:30 am

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:By the way Peek, what is your favorite beer, or since its easier to answer, favorite style of beer/brewery?

I gotta say, after trying Aventinus a few years ago, Weizenbocks might just be my favorite behind imperial stouts. I've liked dark beer since I was a kid and it always kept growing on me as I tried more of them. I guess it really depends on the season. I love stouts anytime, but if I am sitting outside in NEO 95 heat/humidity, I'd glady take a good Hefe, Pilsner, or Pale Ale to cool off.

I suggest that should be our Top 5 question this week - Top 5 beers/alcholic drinks by lo-cal/brewery/winery.

That's a good point RNE- I'm not turning down something cold on a hot day and I'm also not soley drinking one thing.

Last night I had a Mad Anthony's IPA even though I'm not a hop head at all. I mean, I'm okay with the IPA's and the beer we have fermenting is an Imperial IPA (cuz a couple buddies love the IBU way high) but I'm a big fan of porters and stouts and, because of proximity to me, Cornerstone Brewery is where I've developed that taste. To me the darker beers offer more to the palate.

But I'll go into Cornerstone and have their lager, pilsener or kolsch if I've just gotten done golfing and want something crisper and lighter than a porter/stout.

What I don't like are the really fruity/citrusy offerings and I have to be either in the mood for a wheat beer (or have no other options) to drink those.

If we're talking retail and what brews I drink I've really tried to grab something different every time I go. I've learned I like Magic Hat, didn't like Full Sail, didn't like Harp, like Bass, can't stand Guinness anywhere other than from a tap, believe Great Lakes is now like the Budweiser of micros (that's both good and bad) and that Erie Brewing Company and Trogues are all I really like about Pennsylvania along with Yeungling.

In my fridge I'll put a 6/12 of whatever I grab to try and I'll keep Yeungling as well for the less adventurous who visit and because I actually really like it.

So I'm still developing along the beer lines and probably haven't settled on a favorite yet. But I'm gonna have to try your recommendations and see what's up with those.

All this talk and now I definitely have to check out this place in Mentor. Proably this afternoon. Why wait? ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm

I haven't read the last few posts of this thread yet, and before I do I just wanted to weigh in and let you know that IPA's are the best. It really insn't a question. They are the end all be all of brewing. If you can't appreciate IPAs above all you really probably shouldn't be discussing beer because you don't know what you're talking about.

You're probably a complete douchbag as well.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:36 pm

peeker643 wrote:
RickNashEquilibrium wrote:By the way Peek, what is your favorite beer, or since its easier to answer, favorite style of beer/brewery?

That's a good point RNE- I'm not turning down something cold on a hot day and I'm also not soley drinking one thing.

Last night I had a Mad Anthony's IPA even though I'm not a hop head at all. I mean, I'm okay with the IPA's and the beer we have fermenting is an Imperial IPA (cuz a couple buddies love the IBU way high) but I'm a big fan of porters and stouts and, because of proximity to me, Cornerstone Brewery is where I've developed that taste. To me the darker beers offer more to the palate.

But I'll go into Cornerstone and have their lager, pilsener or kolsch if I've just gotten done golfing and want something crisper and lighter than a porter/stout.

What I don't like are the really fruity/citrusy offerings and I have to be either in the mood for a wheat beer (or have no other options) to drink those.

If we're talking retail and what brews I drink I've really tried to grab something different every time I go. I've learned I like Magic Hat, didn't like Full Sail, didn't like Harp, like Bass, can't stand Guinness anywhere other than from a tap, believe Great Lakes is now like the Budweiser of micros (that's both good and bad) and that Erie Brewing Company and Trogues are all I really like about Pennsylvania along with Yeungling.

In my fridge I'll put a 6/12 of whatever I grab to try and I'll keep Yeungling as well for the less adventurous who visit and because I actually really like it.

So I'm still developing along the beer lines and probably haven't settled on a favorite yet. But I'm gonna have to try your recommendations and see what's up with those.

All this talk and now I definitely have to check out this place in Mentor. Proably this afternoon. Why wait? ;-) ;) :wink:

Yeungling is pretty good. Order Stiegl Goldbrau from Austria or i'll set your car on fire.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Yeungling is pretty good. Order Stiegl Goldbrau from Austria or i'll set your car on fire.

All in due time my man. I can't figure out American beers and brewers much less know the German/Czech offerings.

Pils, Dunkels, Kolsch's, Helles, Alts, Weizens.

Christ. I'm not that GD bright.

Swerb likes the Bell's Oberon. Gonna try the Bell's Porter instead and see where that leads.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:59 pm

All in due time my man. I can't figure out American beers and brewers much less know the German/Czech offerings.

And Marzens, Radlers, and about 80 kinds of Bocks.

Czechvar is something you might be able to find local. Really really good beer.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:I haven't read the last few posts of this thread yet, and before I do I just wanted to weigh in and let you know that IPA's are the best. It really insn't a question. They are the end all be all of brewing. If you can't appreciate IPAs above all you really probably shouldn't be discussing beer because you don't know what you're talking about.

Someone is a bit touchy today :cheers:

EDIT: Not sure if I really worded my diatribe the right way, but I did not mean to imply IPAs aren't any good (I thoroughly enjoy a LOT of them) and that German beers are the best. It just seems like in the past year or 2, it has somehow become fashionable and a badge of pride to be a Hop-Head (specifically the kind that thinks IPAs are the only beers in existence and all else is toilet water). Not saying all Hop-Heads fall into this category, but its a disgrace to beer makers/enthusiasts everywhere that most of these pricks only like one style of beer all the while don't know shit about micro-brewing. Almost like becoming a beer fan is a cool/hipster thing to do, but they really don't learn anything detailed/important about the actual craft. These people would be called posers back in high school and get ridiculed relentlessly.
Last edited by RickNashEquilibrium on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

And Marzens, Radlers, and about 80 kinds of Bocks.

Czechvar is something you might be able to find local. Really really good beer.

Czechvar is available at almost all places that have a decent amount of imports. The problem is its a mediocre Pilsner who happens to be owned by Budweiser. Not saying its bad stuff, but its the most vanilla of all Czech lagers I've had.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:I haven't read the last few posts of this thread yet, and before I do I just wanted to weigh in and let you know that IPA's are the best. It really insn't a question. They are the end all be all of brewing. If you can't appreciate IPAs above all you really probably shouldn't be discussing beer because you don't know what you're talking about.

Someone is a bit touchy today :cheers:

EDIT: Not sure if I really worded my diatribe the right way, but I did not mean to imply IPAs aren't any good (I thoroughly enjoy a LOT of them) and that German beers are the best. It just seems like in the past year or 2, it has somehow become fashionable and a badge of pride to be a Hop-Head (specifically the kind that thinks IPAs are the only beers in existence and all else is toilet water). Not saying all Hop-Heads fall into this category, but its a disgrace to beer makers/enthusiasts everywhere that most of these pricks only like one style of beer all the while don't know shit about micro-brewing. Almost like becoming a beer fan is a cool/hipster thing to do, but they really don't learn anything detailed/important about the actual craft. These people would be called posers back in high school and get ridiculed relentlessly.

I think you worded your diatribe just fine and I don't think for a second that you implied that IPAs aren't any good. In fact, I agree with your post 100%.

My post had one purpose and one purpose only: To make me look and sound like a complete and utter arrogant asshole for the amusement and enjoyment of others. It was not in any way serious.

Now, why did I think that it would be amusing and enjoyable? Good question. I have no idea. I just did. :thumb up:
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:59 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:EDIT: Not sure if I really worded my diatribe the right way, but I did not mean to imply IPAs aren't any good (I thoroughly enjoy a LOT of them) and that German beers are the best. It just seems like in the past year or 2, it has somehow become fashionable and a badge of pride to be a Hop-Head (specifically the kind that thinks IPAs are the only beers in existence and all else is toilet water). Not saying all Hop-Heads fall into this category, but its a disgrace to beer makers/enthusiasts everywhere that most of these pricks only like one style of beer all the while don't know shit about micro-brewing. Almost like becoming a beer fan is a cool/hipster thing to do, but they really don't learn anything detailed/important about the actual craft. These people would be called posers back in high school and get ridiculed relentlessly.

Bullshit, so you can only drink micro brews if you know how to brew it yourself? I have better things to do than worry about the detailed/important things about the actual craft. I drink what tastes good and call it a day. I prefer IPA's 9 times out of 10 because they taste the best, never heard a soul say that everything else is toilet water.

Loved this part especially

Almost like becoming a beer fan is a cool/hipster thing to do

Yes... liking beer is only for cool and hipster people. What the hell is that even supposed to mean?

I have no fucking clue how to make a hot pocket and I like those too. Guess I am just being a hipster.

::doh::
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:14 pm

Ziner wrote:Bullshit, so you can only drink micro brews if you know how to brew it yourself? I have better things to do than worry about the detailed/important things about the actual craft. I drink what tastes good and call it a day. I prefer IPA's 9 times out of 10 because they taste the best, never heard a soul say that everything else is toilet water.

Yes... liking beer is only for cool and hipster people. What the hell is that even supposed to mean?

I have no fucking clue how to make a hot pocket and I like those too. Guess I am just being a hipster.

Not to speak for RNE but what I think he was saying that a lot of people who have come to enjoy the micro brews rave about the IPAs and turn their nose up at other offerings when they haven't actually given them a shot. From my perspective it's somewhat true. a lot of the guys I know won't drink anything but and they're like Mormon missionaries in trying to bring you to that side of the table. I'm not always looking for hoppy but many of them drink it like it's a duty.

If IPAs are your thing then that's fine. But there are other options out there that are no less enjoyable.

I think you're just defensive since you now move amongst all the hipsters Z. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:21 pm

I am on a mission to defend hipsters everywhere. We now have a mutual understanding.

I just think it is bullshit to pretend that the majority of people who prefer IPA's turn up their nose up at everything but an IPA. Then if you primarily drink IPA's that you are some how only trying to fit in, opposed to actually just liking it better. I have tried many hundred types of beer. I try and drink them all, but prefer IPA's if I have a choice.

Whatever, its a dumb argument. I just think it is a shitty take. RNE if you are ever in my neck of the woods I'd be happy you buy you a pitcher of that swill Fat Tire

(mooning)
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Ziner wrote:
Bullshit, so you can only drink micro brews if you know how to brew it yourself? I have better things to do than worry about the detailed/important things about the actual craft. I drink what tastes good and call it a day. I prefer IPA's 9 times out of 10 because they taste the best, never heard a soul say that everything else is toilet water.

Ziner, maybe the word I should have used was trendy. I have had a lot of discussions about beer and a lot of the time when a self proclaimed Hop-Head joins the talk, they usually have

A)just recently began exploring micro-brews
B)Strike other folks down at the mere opinion of a stout or hefe being better than an IPA all the while not knowing anything about beer

Ziner, what I am talking about doesn't apply to just folks to like to sit down and have a beer. I like people are getting out there and giving business to micro-brews. My statement was directed as these narcissist who argue and tout IPAs as the best and argue about something they have very little knowledge about. It would be like me arguing about tone/color selection with the curator at the Bellagio. I'm not fit for the job so I ain't gonna talk. God, we see it here all the time when people talk out their ass about sports only later to get smacked down by someone who knows their shit. Its happened to me for Christ's sake.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:28 pm

peeker643 wrote:Not to speak for RNE but what I think he was saying that a lot of people who have come to enjoy the micro brews rave about the IPAs and turn their nose up at other offerings when they haven't actually given them a shot. From my perspective it's somewhat true. a lot of the guys I know won't drink anything but and they're like Mormon missionaries in trying to bring you to that side of the table. I'm not always looking for hoppy but many of them drink it like it's a duty.

If IPAs are your thing then that's fine. But there are other options out there that are no less enjoyable.

I think you're just defensive since you now move amongst all the hipsters Z. ;-) ;) :wink:

Wham with the right hand! Sorry Ziner if I wasn't clear, Peeker nailed it on the head. To further that point, a lot of these people talk and talk and talk about IPAs when they don't even know WHAT top of hops profile they like and can't even give a reasonable answer when asked about anything beer related.

/Rant over
//Off soapbox
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Ziner wrote:I am on a mission to defend hipsters everywhere. We now have a mutual understanding.

I just think it is bullshit to pretend that the majority of people who prefer IPA's turn up their nose up at everything but an IPA. Then if you primarily drink IPA's that you are some how only trying to fit in, opposed to actually just liking it better. I have tried many hundred types of beer. I try and drink them all, but prefer IPA's if I have a choice.

Whatever, its a dumb argument. I just think it is a shitty take. RNE if you are ever in my neck of the woods I'd be happy you buy you a pitcher of that swill Fat Tire

(mooning)

What really is distressing me is that you like Hot Pockets. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Ziner wrote:I am on a mission to defend hipsters everywhere. We now have a mutual understanding.

(mooning)

Heh, I think my point stands because I see/hear it all the time here in Cleveland and in other places across the midwest. Not only there but on a lot of posts on Beer Advocate but to each his own. Thanks for the offer Ziner. Drop by Willoughby sometime and I'll gladly share a pint or two of EKU 28.

FTR - Had Fat Tire for the 1st time in Indianapolis for a bachelor party on Memorial Day. Pretty damn malty for an amber ale, but good nontheless. I would love to try it on draught.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:08 pm

(mooning)

Heh, I think my point stands because I see/hear it all the time here in Cleveland and in other places across the midwest. Not only there but on a lot of posts on Beer Advocate but to each his own. Thanks for the offer Ziner. Drop by Willoughby sometime and I'll gladly share a pint or two of EKU 28.

FTR - Had Fat Tire for the 1st time in Indianapolis for a bachelor party on Memorial Day. Pretty damn malty for an amber ale, but good nontheless. I would love to try it on draught.

You should try their Ranger IPA, its new, guess they are trying to be trendy, but nonetheless it is good shit ;-) ;) :wink:

Actually for since I always blabber about IPA's, this 1554 New Belgium Black Ale is pretty tasty. Probably my second favorite at a brewery I dont really like.

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/1554

If you are such a beer connoisseur you should check out my GABF thread. That place is so amazing words cant describe it. Grab a flight to Denver, perhaps I will give you a chance to enlighten me on other beers. I try them, I drink them, I just dont prefer them over IPA... just dont ask me what the hell is in them or the process used.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:09 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Czechvar is available at almost all places that have a decent amount of imports. The problem is its a mediocre Pilsner who happens to be owned by Budweiser. Not saying its bad stuff, but its the most vanilla of all Czech lagers I've had.

It's not owned by Budweiser. They have an agreement with AB to market it here in the US, it's also not a pilsner either. And it's not mediocre. It's no Krombacher, Wartsteiner, Mahrs, or Krugbrau but it's still a really solid lager.

Pilsner Urquell is also really fuckin good.

I'm no hipster. I'm a beer fan because I love beer. I love beer so much I went to Munich for Oktoberfest (and yes that makes me sooooooo fuckin awesome ;-) ;) :wink: ). I'm like you, I drink what tastes good, I never read reviews cause that's for jagoffs.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:Swerb likes the Bell's Oberon. Gonna try the Bell's Porter instead and see where that leads.

Just got home and found some Oberon in the fridge. Good stuff. I like everything that comes from Bell's. It's the only worthwhile thing to come out of Michigan.

In the winter try to track down some Cherry Stout. It can run you $15 for a 6 but it's good. It doesn't have that overpowering fruit flavor that you get in something like a Lambic. Not for summer, though.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Next

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry