Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Man vs. Food - Cleveland

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Man vs. Food - Cleveland

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:35 pm

They filmed an episode of MVF in Cleveland back around Feb.

I guess he hit up a bunch of places including Melt Bar & Grilled and Hot Sauce Williams. See entire list here: http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Man_V_Food/Episodes_Travel_Guides/ci.Cleveland.map

It's going to air Saturday June 26th at 11pm on the Travel Channel.

That guy really has one of the best jobs in the world.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Re: Man vs. Food - Cleveland

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:39 pm

That guy is an unfunny turd and he ruined a great concept with his terrible show.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:45 pm

aoxo1 wrote:That guy is an unfunny turd and he ruined a great concept with his terrible show.

Such a hater. What was the great concept he ruined? Gorging yourself on Food contests? I like the show. If you ever make it to Denver I will be sure to treat you to the 7lb burrito from Jack and Grill.

I finished over half, but I only ordered it to entertain my dad and uncle who were in town and wanted to see it. If I was in the right state of mind I could demolish it.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:02 pm

I'd need about 40 bong hits to eat half that burrito.

MvF guy isn't that bad. That DD&D guy is a giant douche of epic proportions.

I'm really really starting to hate the foodie culture sweeping the US right now.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:08 pm

Borderline trolling right there CDT. This thread is about Man vs. Food. If you don't like something start a new thread to rip on it. This thread is about MvF only, no hate of foodie culture. I don't know why if someone hates something they cant just shut up and turn it off. ;-) ;) :wink:
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:47 pm

Ziner wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:That guy is an unfunny turd and he ruined a great concept with his terrible show.

Such a hater. What was the great concept he ruined? Gorging yourself on Food contests? I like the show. If you ever make it to Denver I will be sure to treat you to the 7lb burrito from Jack and Grill.

I finished over half, but I only ordered it to entertain my dad and uncle who were in town and wanted to see it. If I was in the right state of mind I could demolish it.

Yes, that is the great concept. His attempts at humor are a trainwreck. Wait, no, I would look at a trainwreck. More like paint drying.

Two shows that did this kind of thing right: Insomniac and Three Sheets.
aoxo1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'd need about 40 bong hits to eat half that burrito.

MvF guy isn't that bad. That DD&D guy is a giant douche of epic proportions.

I'm really really starting to hate the foodie culture sweeping the US right now.

His name is Guy Fieri. If that doesn't sum up his douchiness right there, don't know what does.
aoxo1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote: I'm really really starting to hate the foodie culture sweeping the US right now.

Not a hata yet, but things are getting a bit out of whack - the focus should be on the ingredients and the preparation, not on the brand or celebrity behind it. Rachael Ray can't cook any better than 50% of the people on this board, but she's a vivacious little tart who has stepped out of a Pittsburgh kitchen and into stardom. Some shows I really like, like Top Chef. Some I can tolerate, like No Reservations. Man vs. Food is neither, however. Gluttony is not something I want to watch on TV. Teach me how to smoke a salmon fillet, not how to consume 5 pounds of it at a single seating. Food Network pimps it's new channel for weeks - and it turns out to be ESPN Classic - re-runs of shows already off the air. No wonder my sat company provides it for free.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:03 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote: I'm really really starting to hate the foodie culture sweeping the US right now.

Not a hata yet, but things are getting a bit out of whack - the focus should be on the ingredients and the preparation, not on the brand or celebrity behind it. Rachael Ray can't cook any better than 50% of the people on this board, but she's a vivacious little tart who has stepped out of a Pittsburgh kitchen and into stardom. Some shows I can tolerate, like Top Chef. Man vs. Food is not one, however. Gluttony is not something I want to watch on TV. Teach me how to smoke a salmon fillet, not how to consume 5 pounds of it at a single seating. Food Network pimps it's new channel for weeks - and it turns out to be ESPN Classic - re-runs of shows already off the air. No wonder my sat company provides it for free.

I really like Top Chef, but I also like MvF and DDD. I guess I just like to see unique restaurants small time restaurants that they feature on those shows. The personalities of neither show bother that much. Although I think I like Guy Fieri better. Were there shows like those previously? Rachel Ray had some dumb travel show, but it sucked. Oh one other I have gotten in to recently is "The best thing I ever ate". Perhaps I am in the minority though. There is only so many technical cooking shows I can take. Top Chef and Iron Chefs give me all I need.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Ziner wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Not a hata yet, but things are getting a bit out of whack - the focus should be on the ingredients and the preparation, not on the brand or celebrity behind it. Rachael Ray can't cook any better than 50% of the people on this board, but she's a vivacious little tart who has stepped out of a Pittsburgh kitchen and into stardom. Some shows I can tolerate, like Top Chef. Man vs. Food is not one, however. Gluttony is not something I want to watch on TV. Teach me how to smoke a salmon fillet, not how to consume 5 pounds of it at a single seating. Food Network pimps it's new channel for weeks - and it turns out to be ESPN Classic - re-runs of shows already off the air. No wonder my sat company provides it for free.

I really like Top Chef, but I also like MvF and DDD. I guess I just like to see unique restaurants small time restaurants that they feature on those shows. The personalities of neither show bother that much. Although I think I like Guy Fieri better. Were there shows like those previously? Rachel Ray had some dumb travel show, but it sucked. Oh one other I have gotten in to recently is "The best thing I ever ate". Perhaps I am in the minority though. There is only so many technical cooking shows I can take. Top Chef and Iron Chefs give me all I need.

Good call on Best Thing I Ever Ate, especially when Giada practically orgasms when describing hot chocolate. That's something I can always watch. ;-) ;) :wink:
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:09 pm

I love No Reservations.

When I say foodie culture i mean the freaking obession with using the word "fresh" every two seconds and the masturbating over the ingredient list "ohh the cheese really adds a subtle smokey flavor!". Fuck off and eat the goddamn sandwich, asshole.

That Guy Fieri guy is the worst with his stupid catch pharases and shit ass sunglasses. Fuck him in the neck with a corkscrew.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby waborat » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:36 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

Good call on Best Thing I Ever Ate, especially when Giada practically orgasms when describing hot chocolate. That's something I can always watch. ;-) ;) :wink:

waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:56 pm

I like Man v Food. My son loves it, so that's helped. Man v Food guy is a little corny, but I like him and Man v Food better than Fieri and Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives. Actually like the first 20 min of Man v Food better than the gluttony aspect, though some of the challenges are fun.

Favorite two food channel shows are Giada and Iron Chef. Find myself watching the network a little more each year. They've done a good job w their programming IMO.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Best show on FN is Good Eats. Very corny humor, best tips on general cooking, and lots of interesting facts.
aoxo1

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:14 am

aoxo1 wrote:Best show on FN is Good Eats. Very corny humor, best tips on general cooking, and lots of interesting facts.

Yes, Good Eats is excellent as well. Forgot about that show.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby waborat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:36 am

aoxo1 wrote:Best show on FN is Good Eats. Very corny humor, best tips on general cooking, and lots of interesting facts.

This show took me awhile to get attached to years ago...Alton's humor was pretty friggin weird and I was like, huh? Stuck with it when he had food that interested me and it's now iconic viewing...very educational

Personally, gotta go w/ Tyler Florence as my fave...Great & easy dishes, gives shortcuts & explains things in layman's terms...Don't think I've ever made a bad TF meal

I'll add liking Chefs vs City...Love seeing the different cities and locales...It was pretty cool to see Red The Steakhouse that my B-i-L manages on the Miami show

I agree w/ Matt on The Cooking Channel...Where's the new/original programming (and HD)???

Oh, and Aida's pretty hot too (inlove)
waborat

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:21 am

It's shows like this that will provide job security for me for several more decades.

Eat a few more pounds of grease, dumbasses. I'll catch up with you in a couple years. ;-) ;) :wink:

Signed,

Paramedic in nursing school
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:34 am

Liked MvF in it's first season but kinda lost interest because some of the challenges were just stupid. (15 milkshakes?) Will watch the Cleveland episode but it's no longer must see tv.

I was a big Boy meets grill a/ Bobby Flay fan. It's interseting to discover all the things that can be made on the grill. Plus Flay uses all those Southwestern flavors that I enjoy.

Florence used to do Food 911 where he'd come into someones home kitchen and make a great meal for dinner, party, or poker night.

East meets West w/ Ming Tsai was another favorite in the early years. Learned to make a killer Asian beef(or venison) stew from that show.

Will watch Giada from time to time but that's only in hopes of one of her fun bags flopping out while she's grating some Reggiano Parmesan in HD.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:39 am

M vs F is cremencus. No one can eat that Denver burrito BTW.

Fieri is good, too.

Good eats is instructional, not entertaining. Still, you pay attention you can make the stuff, unlike emeril of that chubby Italian nanna on PBS or that lame-o Giada food. All you need is his rib recipe and you're better than any rib joint anywhere. No shit.

America's Test Kitchen is like that as well.

But yer talking appls and oranges here, cats. Two diffn't tye of shows. One is a cooking show, the other just pure entertainment, just like survivorman type shows.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:18 am

jb wrote:All you need is his rib recipe and you're better than any rib joint anywhere. No shit.

I use Alton Browns rib recipe myself. It is good stuff. I do like to impress others by telling them how I make my own dry rub and braising liquid for the slow cooking. Alton Brown of Good eats almost killed himself in a motorcycle crash filming some crossing europe show for travel channel. They got it on film and showed it of course.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby Lubber » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:06 am

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:
jb wrote:All you need is his rib recipe and you're better than any rib joint anywhere. No shit.

I use Alton Browns rib recipe myself. It is good stuff. I do like to impress others by telling them how I make my own dry rub and braising liquid for the slow cooking. Alton Brown of Good eats almost killed himself in a motorcycle crash filming some crossing europe show for travel channel. They got it on film and showed it of course.

The accident actaully happened near Las Vegas as he was travelling from Georgia to Los Angeles, and the show used to appear on the Food Network. In its 3rd season, Alton decided to give himself a vacation and called the show "Feasting on Waves" and began travelling the Caribbean for local and authentic foods.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:38 pm

Only rib recipe I've ever used.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby waborat » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:08 pm

swerb wrote:

Only rib recipe I've ever used.

Unless you own one of those locomotive size smokies from Texas then AB's is the easiest way for tender baby backs
waborat

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:29 pm

waborat wrote:Unless you own one of those locomotive size smokies from Texas then AB's is the easiest way for tender baby backs

This is how it's done down here..........

mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:05 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
waborat wrote:Unless you own one of those locomotive size smokies from Texas then AB's is the easiest way for tender baby backs

Does it fire ribs and whole chickens?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby BruceK » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Ah, Giada.

At our house, we call it "Cooking with Cleavage"
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 pm

You don't need a big ol' smoker to do ribs right.

I've got something similar to this:

Works great for slow cooking anything. I particularly love brined, smoked whole chicken.

Another excellent way to make ribs is to boil them first and then grill them. The boiling accomplishes the same thing as braising them (slow and low; 212F vs 250F, so the boiling is actually slower and lower), then finish them off by throwing em on the grill to give em that nice flavor.
aoxo1

Unread postby Boston_butt » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:09 pm

Okay, I've lurked here for a while but I feel compelled to post here to set some of this s*t straight. A couple of points:

1) MvF: He does an incredible job of finding the local food legends in a town. Sure, the last piece is often gluttonous, but if you watch it you may actually learn something about the culture of a town. And there is some amazing food he tries before the final challenge. Normal food that normal people eat.

2) Giada: She is not hot. She looks like a Charms Blow Pop with a giant head and a skinny little midget body. Oh, she's annoying and can't cook Italian food to save her life. Mario Batali can cook Italian. Watch his show you'll learn about the different regions of Italy, their cuisine, and the techniques that real Italians use to cook real Italian food. Giada will teach you how to open a f*ing jar of Ragu and grate some surplus government cheese on it.

3) Rachel Ray is an annoying hack. You guys nailed that one. You forgot to mention how ridiculous her body is. She is like a big ugly sausage without boobs and with a FUPA that could smother a man. And she's annoying, in case I didn't mention that already.

4) Guy Fieri is a ridiculous individual, and he is a pathetic poseur of a host. He can cook if you can stomach his fake personality and watch his show. But he'd do the world a favor if he wound up passing out on a train track after one of his nightly benders of smack and man juice.

5) Alton Brown is the man. His show isn't boring, it is educational. Most mouth-breathers in the world can't stomach a little education and therefore mock the nerds and call him boring. Haven't we got past that point in life? For some, apparently not. He is spot on with his techniques, if they do happen to be a little more complicated than necessary.

6) If you ever really want to know how to BBQ and make ribs, turn on PBS and watch Steven Raichlen. He looks like the love child of Bob Ross (the stoned TV painter for those of you under 30 years old) and Phil Jackson, and still insists on grooming himself like a 70s porn star. But his made-for-radio appearance in no way diminishes the fact that he can turn any piece of meat this side of Greg Oden's penis into the tastiest thing you've ever eaten.

Anyway, here's how you make truly great ribs:

Method 1: Go buy a Big Green Egg. 5 hours on a low wood-scented smoke at 200 degrees with a mustard-attached dry rub makes the best ribs ever. Make your own rub by the way - a pinch of cardamom adds a great flavor to a pork rub. In order the ingredients may be salt, brown sugar, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ancho chili, cayenne pepper, and/or dried chipotle pepper.

Method 2: Okay, so you're too cheap to buy a BGE. Some day you'll realize how much you suck and go buy one. Until that day, however, you're still going to need to make ribs. So rub the ribs exactly as above and put them in giant ziploc bags, sealing them in a way to push all the air out of them. Get your beer cooler out of the garage and fill it with hot water so that the temperature in the cooler is about 150 degrees. Use a thermometer, the exact number is important. If you have a thermometer that can monitor the temperature, all the better, otherwise, check every hour. 130 degrees is when bacteria can live, so when it gets to 135, add hot water until it is 145.

Yes, you're cooking your ribs in a beer cooler. Trust me. For those that don't recognize the technique, it is called "sous vide", but we're not spending thousands of dollars here.

Anyway, after 4-10 hours, and really it doesn't matter as long as you monitor the temperature, pull the ribs out and put them on a blazing grill to get a nice crispy on them. They'll be pretty fall-apart when you do this, so take care of them.

If these aren't the best ribs you've ever eaten, then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh, and be sure to remove the membrane from the ribs. Don't be that guy that serves the membrane.
Last edited by Boston_butt on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boston_butt

Favorite Player: Ryan Pontbriand
Least Favorite Player: Don't hate the playa

Unread postby Cease » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Boston butt for the win!

Nice throwdown.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby waborat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:45 am

Cease wrote:Boston butt for the win!

Nice throwdown.

Some nice info there...

Big Green Eggs are the shit and they don't cost that much...Damn things do everything but eat the food for you...

Absolutely cut that membrane away, so many cats forget to do this...

Sous Vide? Hell of a way to eat and I'll pay for it out, but I ain't no witch or warlock and I'm not gonna spend my day boiling water ;-) ;) :wink:

I will never watch Raichlen again with the vision of Oden's manhood on my plate...

Giada is hot (unless you're a woman and even then more than half would probably still eat her Zeppole)...

To Aoxo, unless you're Irish, don't boil your meat
waborat

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:33 am

Boston_butt wrote: She is like a big ugly sausage without boobs

Does this assume most other big ugly sausages do have boobs?

Nice post, but Giada is hot. Can't cook like Mario Batalli, but she is hot.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:51 am

wabo, I was skeptical too. But as long as it is finished with grilling to give it that nice flavor, the boiling makes the ribs extremely tender. Very similar to sous vide, though obviously not as extreme.
aoxo1

Unread postby Boston_butt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:37 pm

aoxo1 wrote:wabo, I was skeptical too. But as long as it is finished with grilling to give it that nice flavor, the boiling makes the ribs extremely tender. Very similar to sous vide, though obviously not as extreme.

boiling takes flavor out of the ribs and leaves it in the water. Some of the delicious fats and proteins leech out never to be tasted again. A poor pig gave his life for those ribs, and you're going to boil them? Bah.

Low and slow smoke melts the fats perfectly and keeps them tender while leaving all the flavor in them. Getting rid of some of the water concentrates the flavor, making them more delicious. That is why it is the preferred method

Sous vide is like boiling without ruining the food. Each slab (half a slab) is in it's own bag, and gets to the proper temperature to melt the fat properly to make them tender. But the rub then gets to draw some of the water out of them, concentrating the flavor, and injects all that rub goodness deep into the rib. If you use some smoked salt (never use liquid smoke) you can almost replicate that smoky flavor. And how hard is it to throw some plastic bags in a cooler, and stick a thermometer in there every so often?

In conclusion, never boil ribs, and Giada is not hot. Her over-pronunciation of words out of her giant jack-o-lantern head kills any semblance of hotness for me. It's "ricotta" bitch, if you're going to bring the faux Italian accent to the party, have it stick around for more than a token appearance or two so we can at least pretend to believe it is culturally rooted. And does it scare you when her eyes open up and her smile gets huge when she over-enunciates something? Last time I saw that move was in Jurassic Park, just before Newman got eaten by a dinosaur. One of these days she's going to unhinge that lower jaw and swallow the cameraman like an anaconda. It frightens the s*t out of me.

I do think her horrid cooking keeps her skinny - it encourages her to go puke everything up that she makes after the show to maintain her scrawny body.
Boston_butt

Favorite Player: Ryan Pontbriand
Least Favorite Player: Don't hate the playa

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:24 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

Looks like FMB's bike. ;-) ;) :wink:
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:28 pm

Boston Butt for ROTY!
jb

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:35 pm

OK, I relent.
aoxo1

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:06 am

In case any of you want to try a food challenge, this one was posted today on Ch. 5's website.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_ ... -challenge

For the extremely hungry, or extremely daring, the "Chubby Challenge" features a $25 sandwich made up of a full loaf of Italian bread, 2 pounds of meat, a half of a head of lettuce, two full tomatoes, surrounded by a full pound of hand cut fries.

Hungry yet? That's not all.

If you finish the sandwich in under an hour, you get it for free, a free t-shirt and your picture on the "Chubby Challenge" wall of fame.

Mackenzie's Grill on W. 150th inside the Holiday Inn.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby waborat » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:14 am

skatingtripods wrote:In case any of you want to try a food challenge, this one was posted today on Ch. 5's website.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_ ... -challenge

For the extremely hungry, or extremely daring, the "Chubby Challenge" features a $25 sandwich made up of a full loaf of Italian bread, 2 pounds of meat, a half of a head of lettuce, two full tomatoes, surrounded by a full pound of hand cut fries.

Hungry yet? That's not all.

If you finish the sandwich in under an hour, you get it for free, a free t-shirt and your picture on the "Chubby Challenge" wall of fame.

Mackenzie's Grill on W. 150th inside the Holiday Inn.

I'd be down with that, but it depends on what kind of tomatoes?

Cherry? No prob...

Beafsteaks??? Then that's just obscene
waborat

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Boston_butt wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:wabo, I was skeptical too. But as long as it is finished with grilling to give it that nice flavor, the boiling makes the ribs extremely tender. Very similar to sous vide, though obviously not as extreme.

boiling takes flavor out of the ribs and leaves it in the water. Some of the delicious fats and proteins leech out never to be tasted again. A poor pig gave his life for those ribs, and you're going to boil them? Bah.

Low and slow smoke melts the fats perfectly and keeps them tender while leaving all the flavor in them. Getting rid of some of the water concentrates the flavor, making them more delicious. That is why it is the preferred method

Sous vide is like boiling without ruining the food. Each slab (half a slab) is in it's own bag, and gets to the proper temperature to melt the fat properly to make them tender. But the rub then gets to draw some of the water out of them, concentrating the flavor, and injects all that rub goodness deep into the rib. If you use some smoked salt (never use liquid smoke) you can almost replicate that smoky flavor. And how hard is it to throw some plastic bags in a cooler, and stick a thermometer in there every so often?

In conclusion, never boil ribs, and Giada is not hot. Her over-pronunciation of words out of her giant jack-o-lantern head kills any semblance of hotness for me. It's "ricotta" bitch, if you're going to bring the faux Italian accent to the party, have it stick around for more than a token appearance or two so we can at least pretend to believe it is culturally rooted. And does it scare you when her eyes open up and her smile gets huge when she over-enunciates something? Last time I saw that move was in Jurassic Park, just before Newman got eaten by a dinosaur. One of these days she's going to unhinge that lower jaw and swallow the cameraman like an anaconda. It frightens the s*t out of me.

I do think her horrid cooking keeps her skinny - it encourages her to go puke everything up that she makes after the show to maintain her scrawny body.

This post is awesome.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Boston_butt wrote:Okay, I've lurked here for a while but I feel compelled to post here to set some of this s*t straight. A couple of points:

1) MvF: He does an incredible job of finding the local food legends in a town. Sure, the last piece is often gluttonous, but if you watch it you may actually learn something about the culture of a town. And there is some amazing food he tries before the final challenge. Normal food that normal people eat.

2) Giada: She is not hot. She looks like a Charms Blow Pop with a giant head and a skinny little midget body. Oh, she's annoying and can't cook Italian food to save her life. Mario Batali can cook Italian. Watch his show you'll learn about the different regions of Italy, their cuisine, and the techniques that real Italians use to cook real Italian food. Giada will teach you how to open a f*ing jar of Ragu and grate some surplus government cheese on it.

3) Rachel Ray is an annoying hack. You guys nailed that one. You forgot to mention how ridiculous her body is. She is like a big ugly sausage without boobs and with a FUPA that could smother a man. And she's annoying, in case I didn't mention that already.

4) Guy Fieri is a ridiculous individual, and he is a pathetic poseur of a host. He can cook if you can stomach his fake personality and watch his show. But he'd do the world a favor if he wound up passing out on a train track after one of his nightly benders of smack and man juice.

5) Alton Brown is the man. His show isn't boring, it is educational. Most mouth-breathers in the world can't stomach a little education and therefore mock the nerds and call him boring. Haven't we got past that point in life? For some, apparently not. He is spot on with his techniques, if they do happen to be a little more complicated than necessary.

6) If you ever really want to know how to BBQ and make ribs, turn on PBS and watch Steven Raichlen. He looks like the love child of Bob Ross (the stoned TV painter for those of you under 30 years old) and Phil Jackson, and still insists on grooming himself like a 70s porn star. But his made-for-radio appearance in no way diminishes the fact that he can turn any piece of meat this side of Greg Oden's penis into the tastiest thing you've ever eaten.

Anyway, here's how you make truly great ribs:

Method 1: Go buy a Big Green Egg. 5 hours on a low wood-scented smoke at 200 degrees with a mustard-attached dry rub makes the best ribs ever. Make your own rub by the way - a pinch of cardamom adds a great flavor to a pork rub. In order the ingredients may be salt, brown sugar, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ancho chili, cayenne pepper, and/or dried chipotle pepper.

Method 2: Okay, so you're too cheap to buy a BGE. Some day you'll realize how much you suck and go buy one. Until that day, however, you're still going to need to make ribs. So rub the ribs exactly as above and put them in giant ziploc bags, sealing them in a way to push all the air out of them. Get your beer cooler out of the garage and fill it with hot water so that the temperature in the cooler is about 150 degrees. Use a thermometer, the exact number is important. If you have a thermometer that can monitor the temperature, all the better, otherwise, check every hour. 130 degrees is when bacteria can live, so when it gets to 135, add hot water until it is 145.

Yes, you're cooking your ribs in a beer cooler. Trust me. For those that don't recognize the technique, it is called "sous vide", but we're not spending thousands of dollars here.

Anyway, after 4-10 hours, and really it doesn't matter as long as you monitor the temperature, pull the ribs out and put them on a blazing grill to get a nice crispy on them. They'll be pretty fall-apart when you do this, so take care of them.

If these aren't the best ribs you've ever eaten, then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh, and be sure to remove the membrane from the ribs. Don't be that guy that serves the membrane.

Holy crap this one is better, stop f'ing luriking. Serving the membrane is like eating the taint of a goat. Giada has that freakish toothy grin that makes me forget about here teased cleavage. And woodchuck, a dutch oven, and a grill make good ribs, although I am sure this purist would beat me down if he ever saw it...

:thumb up: :thumb up:
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Boston_Butt what local restaurant do you work at? Or own, or are the head chef?
Orenthal

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:43 am

Watched this episode last night. Overall it was meh. All I know is I'm headed down to the WSM and visit Steve's Gyro for sure.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:38 am

Watched it last night as well, thought it was pretty good. Question though...

Fries on the sandwich, what's the origin of that practice? Is it native specifically to Cleveland or is it a regional thing? Looked great, but he never really went into depth in explaining how this came about. TIA.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:08 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Watched it last night as well, thought it was pretty good. Question though...

Fries on the sandwich, what's the origin of that practice? Is it native specifically to Cleveland or is it a regional thing? Looked great, but he never really went into depth in explaining how this came about. TIA.

I wondered that myself. Especially since Adam was calling that the "taste of Cleveland" or some such thing, which I hadn't heard of before. I really never even knew there was some sort of pseudo-official "Cleveland sandwich" until last night.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby waborat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:

First time I ever had fries on a sandwich was somewhere at Station Square in Pittsburgh in the mid 80's...

Never saw em here until Panini's opened
waborat

Unread postby hebner20 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:52 pm

Primanti Brother's in Pittsburgh is known for the fries and cole slaw on the sandwich. They've been around since about the 1920's.

Slyman's has a good corned beef sandwich.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby waborat » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:04 am

hebner20 wrote:Primanti Brother's in Pittsburgh is known for the fries and cole slaw on the sandwich. They've been around since about the 1920's.

Primanti's, that's the one...

BTW, Slyman's has a GREAT corned beef ;-) ;) :wink:
waborat

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:14 am

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Looks like FMB's bike. ;-) ;) :wink:

Fuckin'aye....I like it. :thumb up:

Its got "get the fuck out of the way" written all over it

....and how'd you like to see that in your rear view mirror at a redlight?

Anyways, this is the one I want

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronmissi/4403016828/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronmissi/4403017180/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronmissi/4403015352/

This yr he put a sidecar on it that looks like a Warthog complete with 30 mm mini gun under the nose and a skull & helmet under the canopy..........

Giada cooks well enuff for me and any broad that stays skinny and in the kitchen is a keeper imo.

Add the ching she's haulin in and I'm all over that cute little piece of ass

I quit watching thos eprograms tho. They just make me hungry... and not for a pound of fries and slaw on perfectly good bread. That shit makes me wanna barf just looking at it and watching people eat them is like being at Trough & Brew
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby hebner20 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:22 pm

waborat wrote:
hebner20 wrote:Primanti Brother's in Pittsburgh is known for the fries and cole slaw on the sandwich. They've been around since about the 1920's.

Primanti's, that's the one...

BTW, Slyman's has a GREAT corned beef ;-) ;) :wink:

I accept your rebuke. I deserve one of these----> :pb:
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Watched this episode last night. Overall it was meh. All I know is I'm headed down to the WSM and visit Steve's Gyro for sure.

The wife woke up and said, "Lets head down to the West Side Market". Was able to get a gyro today. It's everything MvF sai it was and more. The regular is more than enough butI got greedy an went jumbo! There's 2x the meat to pita. No way can you walk and eat at the same time. We split the gyro between the 2 of us. The heat they add to the sauce makes it. Get there early as at 10:30 still hd to wait 20 minutes. The day before for lunch I was told th wait was an hour +
Larvell Blanks

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture