Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

It's Izzo?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

It's Izzo?

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:46 pm

WMMS reporting it ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: It's Izzo

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Elephant in the room, does this mean Izzo knows LBJ is coming back?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Still slightly skeptical until Windy confirms. He's a big name obviously, lets see how much that weighs with LeBron.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Elephant in the room, does this mean Izzo knows LBJ is coming back?

Just thinking the same thing, it'd be a hell of a jump to make blindly.... and frankly a dumb move to make if he isnt coming back. Lets hope he knows more than we do instead of just doing the blind faith thingy
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Agree with Z; waiting on Windy, but where there's smoke...

FWIW, WFNY report being challenged already..

goodmanonfox: Just spoke to another person extremely close with Tom Izzo and re-affirmed this report by WFNY is "not true". (30 minutes ago from TweetDeck)

goodmanonfox: Michigan State source told FOXSports.com that the Tom Izzo report by WFNY that he's taking the Cavs job is "absolutely untrue." (35 minutes ago from TweetDeck)
Last edited by Hi Oktane on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Ziner wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Elephant in the room, does this mean Izzo knows LBJ is coming back?

Just thinking the same thing, it'd be a hell of a jump to make blindly.... and frankly a dumb move to make if he isnt coming back. Lets hope he knows more than we do instead of just doing the blind faith thingy

I can think of three million reasons why Izzo would come w/ or without knowing LBJ was in place.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:52 pm

swerb wrote:WMMS reporting it ...

These mooks credible?
jb

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:55 pm

jb wrote:
Ziner wrote:

I can think of three million reasons why Izzo would come w/ or without knowing LBJ was in place.

I'll never say $ isn't a consideration because, well, it is. But for guys like Izzo, legacy > $. If he thinks he can be the second successful college-to-NBA coach, well...
Edit to add: Lebron being there is a HUGE part of that equation.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Re: It's Izzo?

Unread postby Shadow Scars » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Here's how much I pay attention to college hoops. When I heard that they offered the job to Izzo, I couldn't believe that he'd leave the Really Big Show to start coaching.

Oh, and didn't Jay Z write a song about him?
Shadow Scars

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Shadow Scars wrote:Here's how much I pay attention to college hoops. When I heard that they offered the job to Izzo, I couldn't believe that he'd leave the Really Big Show to start coaching.

jb

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Nice post SSS ;-) ;) :wink:
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby papacass » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:02 pm

What, Maxwell is reporting it? "Show me your ass tattoo, honey -- oh, by the way, Some Dude With A Blog reporting that Tom Izzo is coming to the Cavs."

Or is WTAM by way of WMMS? The two stations do share a news department.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:04 pm

jb wrote:
Shadow Scars wrote:Here's how much I pay attention to college hoops. When I heard that they offered the job to Izzo, I couldn't believe that he'd leave the Really Big Show to start coaching.

So, if he does come here, do we refer to him as HOVA?
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Windy seems to think it's getting close...

PDcavsinsider

Latest Izzo link about concerned players. This isn't done but Gilbert may be close to coup: http://bit.ly/bcubvT
2 minutes ago via web
Reply Retweet

PDcavsinsider
Sources: Michigan State players came away from meeting fearing Izzo was leaving for #Cavs. But Izzo telling people no decision yet.
14 minutes ago via web
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby waborat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Shannon Brown & Phillip give their blessing to Izzy...

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/m ... 3/22451562

SB says to prepare for anything and he should be fine...

Zen pretty much says great job on the windfall and you better not be a prick
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:15 pm

waborat wrote:Shannon Brown & Phillip give their blessing to Izzy...

More red flags than a rip tide beach. Still convinced this is a very bad fit and TMLP is off the reservation and emotional from games 5 & 6 . Just pissed as hell at NBA athlete.
jb

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:35 pm

jb wrote:More red flags than a rip tide beach. Still convinced this is a very bad fit and TMLP is off the reservation and emotional from games 5 & 6 . Just pissed as hell at NBA athlete.

Maybe. Phil, Larry, and Coach K weren't answering his calls and TMLP wanted someone tried and tested this time around. Whether or not Izzo is the guy remains to be seen, but I can see more logic than Sparty Fan Gone Wild.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby waborat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:14 pm

jb wrote:
waborat wrote:Shannon Brown & Phillip give their blessing to Izzy...

More red flags than a rip tide beach. Still convinced this is a very bad fit and TMLP is off the reservation and emotional from games 5 & 6 . Just pissed as hell at NBA athlete.

Guy's tough, intelligent, experienced, a leader & a proven winner...

That's at least one more quality then these other doofus' who are always mentioned in the search...

Although, wishing it wasn't just in the college ranks, I'd like his chances to succeed here after Kingie reupps
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Replace Izzo with Kryskndsafjbafsbgarbebgi.

We still freaking out about "college"?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby scott » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 pm

pup wrote:Replace Izzo with Kryskndsafjbafsbgarbebgi.

Kryskndsafjbafsbgarbebgi backers can cite a gold medal.

I don't see a better candidate than Izzo that wants to come to Cleveland. Unless someone can point me to the experienced NBA coach with a ring, a rock solid reputation and a desire to settle in NE Ohio I'm fine with Izzo.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby papacass » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:01 am

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/06/sources_say_msu_players_believ.html

Windy: Izzo to trek to Cleveland on Thursday, possibly to tour the Cavs facilities.

If nothing else, they're tantalizing us with it, to the point that if Izzo backs out now, it will be a disappointment. Even if you weren't all that crazy about hiring Izzo in the first place, it would be frustrating to get the carrot dangled to the teeth like this and not be able to take a bite.
papacass

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:05 am

papacass wrote:http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/06/sources_say_msu_players_believ.html

Windy: Izzo to trek to Cleveland on Thursday, possibly to tour the Cavs facilities.

If nothing else, they're tantalizing us with it, to the point that if Izzo backs out now, it will be a disappointment. Even if you weren't all that crazy about hiring Izzo in the first place, it would be frustrating to get the carrot dangled to the teeth like this and not be able to take a bite.

Article I posted somewhere says he loves this shit. Validates him and feeds the beastly ego. I wouldn't be surprised if he walks away at the end w/o a gig in Cleveland.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:05 am

papacass wrote:http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/06/sources_say_msu_players_believ.html

Article I posted somewhere says he loves this shit. Validates him and feeds the beastly ego. I wouldn't be surprised if he walks away at the end w/o a gig in Cleveland.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:54 am

Looks like there's a back up plan in place

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5268981

The team has reached out to ESPN analyst and former New Orleans coach Byron Scott and ESPN/ABC analyst and former coach Jeff Van Gundy.

Scott has emerged as a strong candidate, according to an Eastern Conference executive with knowledge of the club's thinking. Scott is now on equal footing with Izzo, according to the source.

Scott has spoken with members of the Cavaliers' front office for the past few days and late Wednesday night, the talks took on a more serious nature. Scott is expected to have a formal interview with the team before the end of this weekend

Some members of the Cavaliers' brain trust are not sold on Izzo and would prefer to consider candidates with NBA experience before settling on the Spartans' head coach.
The Michigan State staff doesn't know what Izzo will do, but according to a source, the staffers still believe that ultimately he will stay at Michigan State without an assurance that James would be with the Cavs.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby papacass » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:50 am

peeker643 wrote:

Something else to consider about Izzo: He does have a huge ego, and guys with huge egos are often easily made to feel insecure. That won't happen in college, where the players can't question you and the trustees and boosters kiss your ass constantly.

In the pros, there are many more threats to a coach's ego. And if the coach can't manage that, he could end up pointing a lot of fingers and making a lot of enemies.

Worst-case scenario is if Izzo were to turn into Paul Silas, dropping F-bombs on players in full view of the media and benching guys out of spite.

EDIT: Actually, the worst-worst case scenario is if LeBron leaves, then Izzo muscles Chris Grant out of his job, and proceeds to bulldoze the roster of star power, opting instead for less-talented, easily manipulated yes-men, with Gilbert's full blind-faith blessing. Talk about an ego trip.
papacass

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:04 am

The Olympics aren't college. Not the same. Not even close. A handful of all star games vs overmatched teams is the same as the association grind?

I mean, we're talkin "college" here. College. Not the game where grown men are in control, but college. Not where a coach is glorified and players come and go. Not where it is a game of Xs and Os and slow it down. Not college. I mean, we're talking where superstars make or break coaches and are made-men, not boys pushed around at the whims of omnipotant coaches. Not college. College? College. Where coaches don't have to lead by influence but have full power. College. Not where coaches have to be psychologists more than wonks. College? Really? We're talkin' college.
jb

Unread postby pup » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:03 am

jb wrote:

The Olympics aren't college. Not the same. Not even close. A handful of all star games vs overmatched teams is the same as the association grind?

No. It is not. So again I ask. If the RatFace was coming to town, would anyone be freaking out about his lack of NBA pedigree? I doubt it.
I mean, we're talkin "college" here. College. Not the game where grown men are in control, but college. Not where a coach is glorified and players come and go. Not where it is a game of Xs and Os and slow it down. Not college. I mean, we're talking where superstars make or break coaches and are made-men, not boys pushed around at the whims of omnipotant coaches. Not college. College? College. Where coaches don't have to lead by influence but have full power. College. Not where coaches have to be psychologists more than wonks. College? Really? We're talkin' college.

Maybe this is my point. For the most part, those who have failed at taking the next step? Recruiters. Most better at recruiting than actually coaching. Most with short runs of incredible success and getting out the door. Bouncers. Movers. Stepping stone guys. None of which I believe apply to Izzo. Will he be able to get in player's faces at the NBA level? Hell no. Do I think he can get the same message across without the in your face? Yes. And at the end of the day that is what matters. Is your message one that can win? Can you get your players to buy in? I think his message is quality. And I think he can get it through the heads of his players.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby jonne99 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:41 am

Just wanted to throw this out there...

If we end up hiring Izzo, the process and courting will have been no different than when Lerner hired Mangini.

Granted, Mangini had previously coached in the pros, so he had that going for him, but the overall owner obsession seems the same.

Also..despite what dan gilbert says, we have a rookie GM.....you really want to pair a rookie coach with him and expect them to get us to the next level?
but in no place is the pain like Cleveland's: all-encompassing, multi-generational, redundant and unique at once.
---Scott Raab of Deadspin
jonne99

Favorite Player: corban rogue&jay
Least Favorite Player: heather hill

Born & Raised in Cleveland, MSU Alumni

Unread postby GreatGoo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:16 pm

I’m completely torn over this whole situation.

After much contemplation, I decided it was more important to me if Cleveland won a championship than MSU. While thinking about Izzo leaving MSU makes me sick to my stomach, I can’t help but be excited on the potential of Izzo and Lebron pairing up. It looks like Izzo was going to leave at some point anyways, so Izzo coming to my hometown team is best case scenario.

But if Izzo leaves MSU and Lebron leaves the Cavs, what a double screw job that would be for me. The MSU basketball program would be weaker without Izzo, and the Cavs would be a shell of their former self without Lebron. I think Izzo could still coach the Lebron-less Cavs to an 8th seed, but I would much rather have Izzo coaching MSU with national championship aspirations, than coaching a team hunting for an 8th seed.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby scott » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:26 pm

jonne99 wrote:Also..despite what dan gilbert says, we have a rookie GM.....you really want to pair a rookie coach with him and expect them to get us to the next level?

Who do you have in mind? Izzo's not perfect, but perfect isn't out there.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:37 pm

pup wrote:
jb wrote:

No. It is not. So again I ask. If the RatFace was coming to town, would anyone be freaking out about his lack of NBA pedigree? I doubt it.

Maybe this is my point. For the most part, those who have failed at taking the next step? Recruiters. Most better at recruiting than actually coaching. Most with short runs of incredible success and getting out the door. Bouncers. Movers. Stepping stone guys. None of which I believe apply to Izzo. Will he be able to get in player's faces at the NBA level? Hell no. Do I think he can get the same message across without the in your face? Yes. And at the end of the day that is what matters. Is your message one that can win? Can you get your players to buy in? I think his message is quality. And I think he can get it through the heads of his players.

Meh. I'm done and resigned to him coming. I'll be his biggest fan.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:48 pm

scott wrote:
jonne99 wrote:Also..despite what dan gilbert says, we have a rookie GM.....you really want to pair a rookie coach with him and expect them to get us to the next level?

Mike Brown was the perfect example of "right church, wrong pew" IMO. You WANT a guy who is "the next" in the Association AFAIC. Too many so-so retreads bouncing around, although Byron Scott ain't bad IMO.

Roker? Nice guy. Wonk. Smart. Egg head. Brother. Likeable. Sat at Pop's right hand. Defesnive philosophies. Respected? Nahhh. Ability to lead emotionally in post season? Chile please. No Association cred at all. When things broke down post season, he couldn't lead.

Look, there are only 5 proven pro title winners out there who are alive and haven't been retired for a decade: Riles, Jackson, Rivers, Brown and Brown's pretege Pop. End of list. None are available unless Buss loses his damn mind. So you ain't gettin' em. May as well go with the most qualified up and comer you can. I'll stick to my guns and continue to say that Bill Laimbeer has the perfect resume at this time for how I define an NBA HC prospect. Played the game with the hardware you don't have to prove it, respected, tough, smart, can also lead emotionally. Disciple of Dailey. Played for a decade as a leader on a team filled with some certified whack jobs and gimormous egos. Knows first hand how to balance these things.

You will never, ever, convince me that the modern NCAA game is remotely connected to the modern NBA game as far as head coaching preparation. I really don't care if Rizzo were John Wooden. Shit, if that's the direction, why isn't TMLP all over Geno Auriemma?

On this matter though, I'm done. I don't want to keep pissing in the Izzy cherios. But I am on record that this is an emotional decision led by TMLP sans pro hoops people becasue he is Sparty geek, and this franchise direction of micro-managing owner who makes on the court decisions is never healthy.
Last edited by jb on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Whether interest in Scott is real or merely leverage, I like how TMLP is positioning: message to Izzo being, "you're not our only choice".

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5271586&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:52 pm

By that logic wouldn't you be more inline with a Byron Scott hire? He has all the said qualifications Laimbeer has, and previous NBA HC experience.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 pm

FUDU wrote:By that logic wouldn't you be more inline with a Byron Scott hire? He has all the said qualifications Laimbeer has, and previous NBA HC experience.

Si senor.
jb

Unread postby fabs227 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:22 pm

A source of mine who works for both of Cavs and Mosnters says its 95% done
fabs227

Favorite Player: Mark Price

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:27 pm

fabs227 wrote:A source of mine who works for both of Cavs and Mosnters says its 95% done

Thanks for posting. Some people diss the "friend of mine" 411 posts. I don't. Not after the Browns' move when there were weeks of warnings that were ignored from similar posts.

Hope to see more of your takes.
jb

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:37 pm

Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:40 pm

jb wrote:
fabs227 wrote:A source of mine who works for both of Cavs and Mosnters says its 95% done

Thanks for posting. Some people diss the "friend of mine" 411 posts. I don't. Not after the Browns' move when there were weeks of warnings that were ignored from similar posts.

A friend of mine says you're a tool. ;-) ;) :wink:

When's Geneva, btw?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

A friend of mine says you're a tool. ;-) ;) :wink:

When's Geneva, btw?

Only one?

PM you. You in?
jb

Unread postby CP » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:50 pm

So does the college coach not succeed because it's the college coach? Or is it something else:

-Gimmicky offenses and defensive schemes gear towards college rules
-Heavy reliance on recruiting/major talent advantage
-Best college coaches just don't leave (Coach K, Bobby Knight, Izzo, etc)

I ask, somewhat rhetorically, because it seems like Izzo's game philosophy centers around rebounding the crap out of the ball and winning the transition battle, both of which certainly appear to apply in the NBA. He also doesn't rely on the 2-3 zone, which is nice.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:51 pm

FUDU wrote:By that logic wouldn't you be more inline with a Byron Scott hire? He has all the said qualifications Laimbeer has, and previous NBA HC experience.

Difference is Byron Scott has failed as an NBA coach and Laimbeer has not.

Just an inkling too, but I kind of like Laimbeer as a leader of men more than Scott. Laimbeer really was the ringleader of the Bad Boys. I don't think Scott, while a very, very good player, was the ringleader at any of his stops.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:57 pm

CP wrote:So does the college coach not succeed because it's the college coach? Or is it something else:

-Gimmicky offenses and defensive schemes gear towards college rules
-Heavy reliance on recruiting/major talent advantage
-Best college coaches just don't leave (Coach K, Bobby Knight, Izzo, etc)

I ask, somewhat rhetorically, because it seems like Izzo's game philosophy centers around rebounding the crap out of the ball and winning the transition battle, both of which certainly appear to apply in the NBA. He also doesn't rely on the 2-3 zone, which is nice.

Just a different game all around it, not just in terms of X's and O's. It's a completely different culture. You could probably make a better case for what Cal does as being closer to the NBA being all about Le'Billys and D'Joes than being a 55 year old gritty overachiving college disciplinartian making it. I thnk Romie had it right today. Much respect to Izzo about what he does, but at the end of the day these Association guys just won't buy in. It'll all break down to "this is a bunch of college crap" at the first hard assed recation of losing streak.

YMMV.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:01 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:

Difference is Byron Scott has failed as an NBA coach and Laimbeer has not.

Just an inkling too, but I kind of like Laimbeer as a leader of men more than Scott. Laimbeer really was the ringleader of the Bad Boys. I don't think Scott, while a very, very good player, was the ringleader at any of his stops.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coa ... by01c.html

Herm, I don't recall exactly Scott's demise in NJ, so I'd like a refresher. I don't exactly know why it went bad. But he got the Nets to B2B conference titles and IMO he was set up to fail with the BobJazz bastard franchise. Still, he did a credible rebuild job with them for a while.

I'm not sure he a failure who shouldn't get another look.
jb

Unread postby jonne99 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:04 pm

scott wrote:

izzo is a great college coach. that's it. He might be a great nba coach and he might blow as an nba coach...i want someone that has coached before...we've already tried a rookie coach (roker...who had always been an assistant) and it ultimately didn't work.
Why the hell would you run it through the spin again?

history isn't pretty for college coaches making the jump to the nba. For one, teams in transition (which may be us, depending on what lebron does) usually hire coaches from the college ranks. Guess what...they still end up sucking.

Now i'm not saying that this will be izzo, but you can't tell me that you'd rather have izzo over someone who has been there before.
but in no place is the pain like Cleveland's: all-encompassing, multi-generational, redundant and unique at once.
---Scott Raab of Deadspin
jonne99

Favorite Player: corban rogue&jay
Least Favorite Player: heather hill

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 pm

jb wrote:Herm, I don't recall exactly Scott's demise in NJ, so I'd like a refresher. I don't exactly know why it went bad. But he got the Nets to B2B conference titles and IMO he was set up to fail with the BobJazz bastard franchise. Still, he did a credible rebuild job with them for a while.

I'm not sure he a failure who shouldn't get another look.

"Fail" is probably a tough way to put it. And TBH I'm not exactly sure what happened to Scott in New Jersey, although the old whispers of "lost his team" were circulating at the time. Remember, that team went on a tear when Scott was fired and Lawrence Frank hired to replace him.

I'm more leery of Scott because of what happened in New Orleans. Blew a 2-0 lead against the Spurs in the 2008 WCSF, lost Game 7 at home, and then they kind of fell apart afterward. They basically quit in the first round the following year against Denver (who loses a home playoff game by 58 points?)
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby CP » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Scott probably shouldn't have gotten fired in NJ, but when he did, Frank rolled off 13 wins in a row. He got the axe prematurely, and the fact that Frank didn't get as far as Scott is telling. Scott couldn't meet expectations with that Kidd/Carter/RJ nucleus, and that was his undoing. Running into the Shaq-Lakers and Duncan-Spurs teams in the finals was just bad luck.

Hornets were a mess when he got fired, I don't know who gets the blame there. He deserves another chance.

I'm fine with Izzo and Scott.
CP

Unread postby pup » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:13 pm

jonne99 wrote:
scott wrote:

izzo is a great college coach. that's it. He might be a great nba coach and he might blow as an nba coach...i want someone that has coached before...we've already tried a rookie coach (roker...who had always been an assistant) and it ultimately didn't work.
Why the hell would you run it through the spin again?

history isn't pretty for college coaches making the jump to the nba. For one, teams in transition (which may be us, depending on what lebron does) usually hire coaches from the college ranks. Guess what...they still end up sucking.

Now i'm not saying that this will be izzo, but you can't tell me that you'd rather have izzo over someone who has been there _______________ before.

And failed should finish this off.

And yes. I will take Izzo over someone who Chris Paul did everything in his power to have unemployed.
http://theassociation.blogs.com/the_association/2009/11/message-to-lakers-fans-byron-scott-is-a-terrible-coach-and-should-never-be-in-la.html

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby CP » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:18 pm

"And I haven't even mentioned his X and O's skills. Let's just say, he's very Mike Brown on the offensive end of the floor. The Hornets literally ran one single solitary play with the high screen and roll with the center. It worked a lot two years ago simply because of Chris Paul's immense talent and the chemistry between him and Tyson Chandler. But better coached teams like San Antonio and the Lakers eventually exposed their bland offense game plan. "

Excuse me while I vomit. I retract my earlier post where I said I'd be fine with Scott...
CP

Unread postby GreatGoo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:38 pm

"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Next

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA