Text Size

College Sports Arena

Conference Expansion/Reshaping

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Conference Expansion/Reshaping

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Latest report from OrangeBloods, FWIW:

A source close to the Nebraska Board of Regents told Orangebloods.com the regents met informally Wednesday and have agreed to move to the Big Ten and that a formal announcement Nebraska is leaving will come Friday.

And to complicate matters for Missouri, the Tigers appear to be falling down the list of priorities for the Big Ten.

An athletic director with knowledge of the Big Ten said, "Missouri is getting cold shoulder from Big Ten."

According to a story by Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald, a respected reporter covering the Big 12 for years, Nebraska is expected to leave for the Big Ten as early as Friday, according to information provided to Barfknecht by an executive at another Big 12 school.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1092612
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Yay! I'm so excited about this!
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:54 pm

jb wrote:
fairvis wrote:It won't be Pitt. It would be either Rutgers or Maryland- bigger markets and geographic expansion. We already have Pennsylvania signed, sealed and delivered with PSU being in the fold.

You mean from a households and network perspective right?

Because from a fan POV, you are either / or. Like Browns / Bengals. So I'm guessing you mean the former. And you are spot ass on. Does CUSA become the catch all basin for what's left?

PS - The MAC and Kansas State?

I absolutely mean households and networks. I'm sure there are a lot of Pitt fans in Pittsburgh, but I know that there are a lot of PSU fans there. Casual PSU fans range from Erie to Philly, like casual OSU fans range from Cleveland to Cincy. However, I have a feeling that the odds of someone being a fan of Pitt first drop drastically after a 50 mile radius from the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegheny.

KSU would drastically increase the MAC's basketball and football prowess. I have a feeling though that Kansas and KSU would probably go Conference USA and elevate the basketball prowess there. Conference USA could potentially make a play for Iowa State and Baylor (if they're left out of the Pac-16) as well and have a pretty decent all-around sports conference, and get back major conference standing in basketball that they lost when Cincy, DePaul, Louisville, and South Florida left.

I also see the Big East sticking around in basketball (while shuttering football operations) and raiding some of the A-10 teams to get back to 12 or 16. Probably go all-Catholic as well (even with the loss of ND, they still have 7 Catholic b-ball teams).
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:55 pm

Ok, so here's my question. No matter when these moves are announced, they wouldn't officially become active members of their new conferences until next year, correct? They wouldn't actually change scheduling right away, would they?
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:58 pm

StewieG wrote:Ok, so here's my question. No matter when these moves are announced, they wouldn't officially become active members of their new conferences until next year, correct? They wouldn't actually change scheduling right away, would they?

Yeah it would be next year, this year's schedule (football, not sure about basketball) is carved in stone.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Yay! I'm so excited about this!

I know. You dig it the most.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Yay! I'm so excited about this!

I know. You dig it the most.

Totaly. It's gonna be sweeeeeeeet! Can't wait for that useless Big Ten Money Grab Title Game presented by Geico, that lizard and caveman are so damn funny.

It is what is, nothing I can do about it. The one cool thing that could come from this maybe they'll make the season a week or two longer.

Plus this will finally give me the chance to throw frozen corn at Nebraska fans, so we got that going for us.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:17 pm

swerb wrote:If the Big Ten goes to 16 teams, they still couldn't call it the Big Ten, could they?

I say stop at 14 with Nebraska, Notre Dame and Mizzou/Syracuse/Maryland/etc and keep it as the Big 10 with ten states being represented.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:23 pm

That Chip Brown guy from orangebloods.com was on sports center and he reported live that the six Big 12 teams offered by the pac 10 have agreed to accept (he named Texas, A&M, Tech, Oklahoma, OK State and Colorado, which leaves out Baylor). He ended up backtracking a bit but did say that the Texas administration has met with the football coaches telling them that "we tried to save the Big 12 but we failed."
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:24 pm

neoleo wrote:
swerb wrote:If the Big Ten goes to 16 teams, they still couldn't call it the Big Ten, could they?

I say stop at 14 with Nebraska, Notre Dame and Mizzou/Syracuse/Maryland/etc and keep it as the Big 10 with ten states being represented.

Yeah that's a pretty good idea.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JoJo White » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Chip Brown has been all over this story - hopefully, he can parlay this hot streak into a better gig than Orangebloods.com.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:03 pm

He said he expects them to..... I think it will be interesting to see what happens after Texas and A&M meet....

At this point it looks like that would be correct, hoping for a last minute pitch by the B10 to offer them both...

I have to give it to the Pacten, they really put an enticing offer together and fast, the least amount of change....

I'll keep a little hope but it looks like UT to the Pacten.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Loo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:51 pm

He reported it live on ESPN. Chip Brown and ESPN BETTER HOPE all this plays out like he said. You don't allow a guy to go on live during primetime to a national audience unless you know what he's saying is legit.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:11 pm

Who cares what ESPN and Chip Brown are saying.

What is Jeff Schudel saying? That's what I want to know.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 pm

http://twitter.com/PittsJay/status/15810074296

"WFNI out of Indy reporting ND, Cuse, Rutgers, Maryland joining Big 10 with Nub? The fu...?"
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby JoJo White » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:00 pm

http://twitter.com/espn4d

We appear headed for one of the most interesting and hectic days in college sports history tomorrow. Stay tuned. 19 minutes ago via web

Indeed.

Crazy rumors tonight on the intertubes that the Big Eleven offers UT, A&M, ND, and Mizzou tomorrow.
JoJo White

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:05 pm

This is exciting. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

So just thinking. What are the chances that you get 4 super conferences and they just leave the NCAA? Just throwing it out there.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:12 pm

fairvis

Unread postby Loo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:43 am

The next 12-48 hours are going to be unbearably interesting. Days like tomorrow are days I love having a smartphone where I can check it 3,000 times to make sure I'm updated. To my battery--God Speed.

If the Big Ten does invite UT, A&M, ND and Mizzou and they somehow accept (I'd give it a 20% chance of going down) I'll fall on my knees in shock/joy. That can't be a true rumor though, can it?

With the exception of Mizzou (I'd rather add Syracuse for the TV market), Nebraska, UT, A&M, ND and 'Cuse was my dream scenario in all of this.

The Big Ten could choose to stand pat at 12, but if the SEC pulls off a couple moves to go to 16 universities the Big Ten might have no choice (BCS reasonings) to go to 16. Oy.
Loo

Unread postby Loo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:46 am

fairvis wrote:Pac-16 offers are going down...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

There's an excerpt in that article that says the Pac-16 would possibly push to have two automatic bids to BCS Bowls. That's complete and utter BS.

They get two automatic bids because they have four or five more teams than other conferences?

That has to the most asinine thing mentioned in this whole expansion process.
Loo

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:41 am

Loo wrote:The next 12-48 hours are going to be unbearably interesting. Days like tomorrow are days I love having a smartphone where I can check it 3,000 times to make sure I'm updated. To my battery--God Speed.

If the Big Ten does invite UT, A&M, ND and Mizzou and they somehow accept (I'd give it a 20% chance of going down) I'll fall on my knees in shock/joy. That can't be a true rumor though, can it?

With the exception of Mizzou (I'd rather add Syracuse for the TV market), Nebraska, UT, A&M, ND and 'Cuse was my dream scenario in all of this.

The Big Ten could choose to stand pat at 12, but if the SEC pulls off a couple moves to go to 16 universities the Big Ten might have no choice (BCS reasonings) to go to 16. Oy.

I agree with you Loo in that it would be my dream scenario as well....

Things just seem to be moving too fast....way faster than even I expected. I hope the B10 makes their push, and we are talking about the school presidents. I've heard enough from the AD's.
JCoz

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:50 am

Loo, if the dream scenario goes down, then the Big 10 will have gotten the biggest coup in NCAA realignment history. We would have the #1 (Michigan), #2 (Notre Dame), #3 (Texas), #4 (Nebraska), #5 (Ohio State) in wins in all time. Think about that. Top five in all-time wins, all in one conference, plus #9 Penn State, #18 A&M, and #29 Minnesota.
fairvis

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:50 am

Looks like Colorado is officially jumping to the PacTen, possibly announcing today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5271438

Let the games begin.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:54 am

exiledbuckeye wrote:Looks like Colorado is officially jumping to the PacTen, possibly announcing today:

Let the games begin.

The question you have to ask yourself, if you believe the report, is whether or not Colorado's offer was contingent on UT....I think not, similar to Nebraska, they would be taken by the conference no matter what.

Everything hinges on Texas's decision.

The B12 is officially dead.
JCoz

Unread postby Loo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:28 pm

fairvis wrote:Loo, if the dream scenario goes down, then the Big 10 will have gotten the biggest coup in NCAA realignment history. We would have the #1 (Michigan), #2 (Notre Dame), #3 (Texas), #4 (Nebraska), #5 (Ohio State) in wins in all time. Think about that. Top five in all-time wins, all in one conference, plus #9 Penn State, #18 A&M, and #29 Minnesota.

There's a small chance of that happening, though. It's probably a 75% chance that Texas leaves for the Pac-10, 15% they stay in the Big 12 and the Big 12 adds two schools (TCU and Boise?) and survives and 10% that they and A&M join the Big Ten.

Texas legislatures would rather have three Texas schools go to the Pac-10 than have two Texas schools go the Big Ten.

I stand by my opinion that ND will only join the Big Ten if their chances of making a BCS bowl are basically cut in half, which is what will happen if four 16-team super conferences emerge.

Just because the Pac-10 goes to 16 teams doesn't mean any other conference needs to expand, unless they are granted that extra automatic BCS bowl bid, in which case the Big Ten and SEC will follow suit. Also, if the Big Ten can get ND they'll probably just go to 16.

Those are probably the only two scenarios that warrant more Big Ten expansion.
Loo

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:48 pm

I don't think Delaney will stop with just Nebraska. With the rest of the Big 12 teams likely floundering, if Texas and A&M go Pac-16 (likely) he'll raid the Big East to force Notre Dame into the conference. Delaney seems hell-bent on getting ND into the Big Ten- and he'll expand to 16 to make them do it.
fairvis

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:57 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:Looks like Colorado is officially jumping to the PacTen, possibly announcing today:

Let the games begin.

No longer possibly, officially announcing today. Just got an email from the athletic department

On Friday, June 11 at 11 a.m. MDT, the University of Colorado will hold a press conference to formally announce that CU will accept an invitation to join the Pac-10 Conference.

WALNUT CREEK, Calif. — The Pacific-10 Conference announced Thursday that the University of Colorado at Boulder has accepted an invitation to join the Conference as its 11th member, the league’s first new member since July 1, 1978.

“This is an historic moment for the Conference, as the Pac-10 is poised for tremendous growth,” said Commissioner Larry Scott. “The University of Colorado is a great fit for the Conference both academically and athletically and we are incredibly excited to welcome Colorado to the Pac-10.”

“On behalf of The University of Colorado students, faculty, alumni and fans, we are proud to accept this invitation from the Pac-10 and join the most prestigious academic and athletic conference in the nation, “said Philip P. DiStefano, chancellor of CU-Boulder.

“The University of Colorado is a perfect match — academically and athletically — with the Pac-10,” said University of Colorado President Bruce D. Benson, “our achievements and aspirations match those of the universities in the conference and we look forward to a productive relationship.”

Scott, DiStefano, Benson, CU Board of Regents Chairman Steve Bosley and CU Athletics Director Mike Bohn and others will hold the official press conference on Friday, June 11, 2010 at 11:00 a.m. MDT on the club level at Folsom Field in Boulder.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:14 pm

The plot thickens...

http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.

KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

KCTV5's sources also said that some Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which deals Big 12 schools take invitations by the end of the day Thursday, although the deals may not be officially announced. Big 12 officials also tell KCTV5's sources that some Big 12 office employees are planning to be without a job within weeks.

Those decisions would leave the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and the University of Missouri with Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State in the Big 12. The Missouri Board of Curators met Thursday and planned to meet Friday to discuss the future of Missouri sports.
JoJo White

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:40 pm

JoJo White wrote:The plot thickens...

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.

KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

KCTV5's sources also said that some Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which deals Big 12 schools take invitations by the end of the day Thursday, although the deals may not be officially announced. Big 12 officials also tell KCTV5's sources that some Big 12 office employees are planning to be without a job within weeks.

Those decisions would leave the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and the University of Missouri with Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State in the Big 12. The Missouri Board of Curators met Thursday and planned to meet Friday to discuss the future of Missouri sports.

Goddammit Jo Jo, I was just starting to accept the Pac 16 rumors and now this.

I'm not going to get over-the-top excited till I hear something out of another city....
JCoz

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Crazy day - Texas is clearly in no hurry, however, and may be negotiating with both the Big 10 and Pac 10 to coax the best deal out of those conferences.
JoJo White

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:55 pm

JoJo White wrote:The plot thickens...

While Texas & AM don't necessarily fit geographically, they do fit athletically and academically. And it really would be the best move for those schools - moving to the PAC 10 would be a major step down exposure-wise, not to mention all the dough that can be made from Federal Research Grants in the Big 10.

Imagine one conference with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, and Texas. Holy Fuckin' Shit! :thud:

I'd rather have Missouri than 'Cuse. 'Cuse just went on academic probation, their football team sucks, and I'm not sure they bring in the NYC market. When I lived in NYC, no one gave a shit about Orange football. Mizzou brings in St. Louis & Kansas City, plus makes more sense geographically (especially with Nebraska and possibly some Texas teams coming in).
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:58 pm

JoJo White wrote:Crazy day - Texas is clearly in no hurry, however, and may be negotiating with both the Big 10 and Pac 10 to coax the best deal out of those conferences.

If they are looking for the best deal for themselves, the B10 wins. And Texas wins.
JCoz

Unread postby The Score » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Does this mean that the Big 10 offices are moving to Dallas?
The Score

Unread postby gnati » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:02 pm

My head officially fucking hurts and may explode.

That is all.
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:16 pm

The Score wrote:Does this mean that the Big 10 offices are moving to Dallas?

I'd doubt the Big 10 offices would ever move from Chicago, even with the TX addition. The other 14(!!!!) members would be within 500 mi of Chicago (well, except Penn State, but who cares about them).

All I have to say is that if Delaney actually pulls this off, adding Nebraska, Texas, TAMU, and potentially ND+Mizzou/Maryland/Syracuse/Rutgers then he's by all means the best commish out there, and a sly mother-effer. Insanity.
fairvis

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:23 pm

JoJo White

Unread postby Loo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:40 pm

There are too many things in limbo right now. Sheesh.

1. LeBron
2. Izzo/Byron Scott
3. Texas and A&M.

If Texas and A&M join the Big Ten and the Pac-10 still goes to 16 teams, that forces ND to the Big Ten as well.

The dream scenario is slowly taking form.
Loo

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Mineral-rights endowment is now affecting conference realignment. Seriously.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1093010
A&M LAST PIECE OF PAC-10 PUZZLE

The only potential stumbling point for the six Big 12 schools to move west was if Texas A&M's heart was in it.

The Aggies have been talking to the Southeastern Conference. Gene Stallings, who won a national title as coach at Alabama, is a regent at Texas A&M who has been VERY active in all the talks involving the Aggies and where they could land if the Big 12 fell apart.

Orangebloods.com has been told by sources that Gov. Rick Perry would encourage his alma mater to go where Texas goes to keep harmony in the Texas Legislature.

There is a state-run, multi-billion dollar mineral rights endowment for both Texas and Texas A&M called the Permanent University Fund, which was threatened by lawmakers the last time realignment happened (when the Big 12 was formed) if the two schools split up.
JoJo White

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:02 pm

http://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB

Chip says its the Pacten.

Oh well, knew I shouldn't get my hopes up for that KC story....
JCoz

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:06 pm

How crazy would it be if Aggy declines and goes to the SEC? Baylor would be back in play for the Pac 16, I guess.

It would be too bad if that were to happen - the culture clash between Aggy and Berkeley would be something to behold.

JoJo White

Unread postby Loo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Breaking this one story has made Chip Brown.
Loo

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:40 pm

JoJo White wrote:How crazy would it be if Aggy declines and goes to the SEC? Baylor would be back in play for the Pac 16, I guess.

It would be too bad if that were to happen - the culture clash between Aggy and Berkeley would be something to behold.

Are those guys from the Pentacostal too?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
JoJo White wrote:How crazy would it be if Aggy declines and goes to the SEC? Baylor would be back in play for the Pac 16, I guess.

Are those guys from the Pentacostal too?

Pentacostals look sane compared to those guys...

JoJo White

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:32 pm

I'm disappointed that we couldn't get it done, unless a miracle happens over the weekend, ship has sailed. The Pacten really took a surprise tactic with offering OK, OK ST, and TT. It's not something we could do...

Fuck it dude, lets go bowling.
JCoz

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:36 pm

Nah, if A&M decides to come East the Pac-10 will go with Utah. I really think that after the weekend A&M decides to head West with the rest of the Big 12 South. Texas is making the best choice going Pac 16. Huge network deal ready to go down with Fox, USC getting the fuggin hammer today, it all works well for them.

The more and more I look at it, I'm thinking the Big 10 and SEC stick with 12 for the time being. If the SEC makes a move, it will be out of the ACC (FSU, Va Tech, or Ga Tech) but even then it's hard to fathom.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:05 pm

I don't know...more and more rumors are surfacing that Aggy may ditch big brother and join the SEC. Supposedly Byrne and Gene Stallings (member of the Aggy Board of Regents) want to move to the S-E-C! S-E-C!
JoJo White

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:29 pm

JoJo White wrote:I don't know...more and more rumors are surfacing that Aggy may ditch big brother and join the SEC. Supposedly Byrne and Gene Stallings (member of the Aggy Board of Regents) want to move to the S-E-C! S-E-C!

I actually saw some good points on orangebloods as to why that might not be nearly as crazy a move as people think...
JCoz

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:42 pm

Don't have a subscription to orangebloods, but apparently there is a new article about the massive debate going on in the A&M camp right now. Governor Perry is apparently steadfast in his attempt to keep all of the Texas schools together in the Pac 16, but Stallings and McKinney have the locals all in for a move to the SEC. The UT powers to be are apparently really pissed that A&M can't make a decision and the ship may leave port soon without the Aggies.

From everything I read, apparently SEC is willing to move 2 from the West to the East to make room for Tex and A&M in the West, which is moot cause Texas aint havin it. Looks like if SEC expands at all it will be A&M in the West and Va Tech in the East from what everyone is saying down here.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:46 pm

What's in it for the SEC to expand? Adding Aggy doesn't really open up Texas, as UT is king in Texas and always has been (except during the FedEx years).
JoJo White

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:51 pm

I agree with that 100%. If we aren't getting Texas or Oklahoma, whatever is left in the Big 12 can head West as well. As for the ACC, I'm not as familiar, so I'd have to look at it more closely.

Found this, which you may have already read if you've been following the conf expansion board on td

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2010/6/10/1509040/why-sec-expansion-might-not-be

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena