Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

TMLP Offers Coaching Job to Izzo?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: TMLP Offers Coaching Job to Izzo?

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:53 pm

FWIW, I know I probably have the worst screen name of anyone here, but the name wasnt just born of extreme homerism.

Sometime in late 2003 - early 2004, I made a very public prediction amongst my crowd that all 3 Cleveland teams would win their respective championships in 2007.

We all know how that turned out, but I did come as close as humanly possible, given the involved city.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Cease » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:08 pm

papacass wrote:I wonder if it's within the rules to give Izzo an amnesty clause if Bron bolts. That might be the only way Gilbert could seal the deal. If Bron leaves and the Cavs now have a rebuilding project on their hands, Izzo gets to walk away and return to East Lansing, no questions asked.

I'm sure the Sparty AD would be willing to appoint an interim coach and wait on LeBron's decision. It's worth it to get Izzo back if Bron leaves the Cavs. If Bron re-ups, MSU can then begin a full-scale search for a new coach.

Interesting, but at 5 years/30mil, I don't think Gilbert settles for an if-come commitment from Izzo. His angle to Izzo is likely A) We'll sign LeBron, B) If not, we're going to shed players/spend cash to bring in the top-flight talent within one or two NBA trade cycles.

My opinion is that the owner is signaling to LeBron that he sees exactly what LBJ and the Cavs have lacked: mental toughness. Gilbert has probably boiled playoff success down to this intangible and is locked on it quantifying it with laser focus (this is how a CEO thinks). Izzo's teams have consistently displayed toughness. So, Gilby is making his statement and posing a challenge to LeBron- "Can you accept this terribly hard road is in your best interest, or will you duck the truth and believe your hype men all the way Chicago?"

Either way, Gilbert has taken the reigns and changed the direction of the team- which is his right as an owner.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Windy saying an offer of 5 years at $6m per year (doubling Izzo's MSU pay) plus use of a private jet.

Per Forbes, that would put him behind only Phil Jackson, Belichick, Shanahan, Larry Brown, and Pete Carroll for highest paid coach in sports. This for a 1st time NBA coach. Wow.

You might wanna change your screen name to CAVSTRIBEBROWNS4864NEVER.

;-) ;) :wink:

Fixed it for yah my sans coiffure friend.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pup » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:53 pm

JB, I love ya like a distant cousin and all, but seriously?

You think Dan Gilbert is going to risk his Cavalier investment, which takes a $100,000,000 hit should the King abdicate, is standing in his office sticking his middle finger up at him? Get the hell outta here.

Not saying this equates to LBJ staying, but it sure as hell is not to spite the only thing making downtown worthy of people. Including his future dealings.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Per his Twitter page, Windy thinks the longer there is silence on Izzo's end, the better the chance that he stays put.

I have to think the odds say Izzo isn't leaving MSU, certainly not to take a job that is, at the moment, undefined. He doesn't know whether he's being propositioned by a team with a superstar, looking for the coach that can lead them to a title, or a team that will be psychologically reeling from the loss of said superstar.

Gilbert can throw all the money and perks at Izzo that he wants, but he is still fighting an up-cliff battle to give Izzo reasons other than dollar signs as to why he should leave his position on the ruling tribal council of college basketball to join a pro team in turmoil.

It could be that Izzo is only considering Gilbert's overture to soften up the MSU AD's office for the next round of contract negotiations. It's always good to show the boss that other people want your services.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Cease » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:27 pm

papacass wrote:It could be that Izzo is only considering Gilbert's overture to soften up the MSU AD's office for the next round of contract negotiations. It's always good to show the boss that other people want your services.

...and Gilbert could be dancing with a willing partner in Izzo to show prospective coaches (and LeBron) that he's the HMFIC, willing to pay top dollar, and ready to move forward post haste.
Cease

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Saw this this afternoon before I left work, FWIW: http://www.freep.com/article/20100607/C ... in-the-bud
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm

peeker643 wrote:Saw this this afternoon before I left work, FWIW: http://www.freep.com/article/20100607/C ... in-the-bud

Sounds like he and LeBron are a match made in heaven.

The more I think about this, the more I don't like it.

Bad Idea Jeans.

Normally I wear protection, but then I thought, "When am I gonna make it back to Haiti?"
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 pm

pup wrote:JB, I love ya like a distant cousin and all, but seriously?

You think Dan Gilbert is going to risk his Cavalier investment, which takes a $100,000,000 hit should the King abdicate, is standing in his office sticking his middle finger up at him? Get the hell outta here.

Not saying this equates to LBJ staying, but it sure as hell is not to spite the only thing making downtown worthy of people. Including his future dealings.

Lemme go Gordon Gekko on yah G.

The most important commodity I know of is information. Now let me add Adrian W's hiddden gem: if the NBA knew what was going on it'd plotz.

TMLP know man. He knows.

Those in the know play what they deem to be checkers.

We drool.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:23 pm

swerb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Saw this this afternoon before I left work, FWIW: http://www.freep.com/article/20100607/C ... in-the-bud

Bad Idea Jeans.

Normally I wear protection, but then I thought, "When am I gonna make it back to Haiti?"

I know I'm only renting, but I had the plumbing redone.
jb

Unread postby Cease » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:36 pm

jb wrote:
swerb wrote:

Bad Idea Jeans.

I know I'm only renting, but I had the plumbing redone.

Let's just get this out there, so we can move on...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/10310/saturday-night-live-bad-idea-jeans
Cease

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:59 am

This sounds an awful lot like rebuilding to me (and a really bad idea). College coaches don't do well in the NBA (as a general rule).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby ole uncle charle » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:26 am

College coaches don't do well in the NBA ... be damned
Coaching style...be damned
Contract yrs/$$$... be damned
No cred in the Association ... be damned
The only thing that matters...

Is Izzo down with World Wide Wes?
ole uncle charle

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:34 am

jb wrote:
pup wrote:JB, I love ya like a distant cousin and all, but seriously?

Lemme go Gordon Gekko on yah G.

The most important commodity I know of is information. Now let me add Adrian W's hiddden gem: if the NBA knew what was going on it'd plotz.

TMLP know man. He knows.

Those in the know play what they deem to be checkers.

We drool.

So what info does Gilbert know. That LeBron is leaving? Or staying?

I'll see your information is the most important commodity and raise you greed is good. Greed works.

Current Cavs valuation is roughly $475 mil. 'Bron leaves, we are the Bucks. Pup puts the loss at $100 mil. I say it's more like $200 mil. You got to be a serious LP to piss away that kind of value to show up one of the most marketable players in the history of the sport.

Unless you know he is already gone.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:34 am

This is going to be the ultimate what came first the chicken or the egg. As stated many times now the future coach and most likely LeBron are holding off on committing to any decision until the other position is known to be secured, then the roster "make over" comes into play.

As Windy has hinted at expect a significant trade or attempt at a roster fix before anything else at this point.

Still deep down inside can only laugh at how good this roster was, to the point of being everyone's favorites to win it all (as far into the season as the Bulls series) but now all of a sudden it needs a massive overhaul. ::doh::
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pup » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:20 am

FUDU wrote:This is going to be the ultimate what came first the chicken or the egg. As stated many times now the future coach and most likely LeBron are holding off on committing to any decision until the other position is known to be secured, then the roster "make over" comes into play.

As Windy has hinted at expect a significant trade or attempt at a roster fix before anything else at this point.

Still deep down inside can only laugh at how good this roster was, to the point of being everyone's favorites to win it all (as far into the season as the Bulls series) but now all of a sudden it needs a massive overhaul. ::doh::

Well. Someone is wrong. Because as constructed, this team has not been good enough to win it all yet. You want to trot that same 15 out next year and expect a better result?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:42 am

FUDU wrote:This is going to be the ultimate what came first the chicken or the egg. As stated many times now the future coach and most likely LeBron are holding off on committing to any decision until the other position is known to be secured, then the roster "make over" comes into play.

Its not by choice buddy.

Bron is gonzo.
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:45 am

jb wrote:
Its not by choice buddy.

Bron is gonzo.

Thanks man, due to your Cavs winning it all prediction I feel much better about the prospects of him staying. You all might as well renew your tickets for the next three years ;-) ;) :wink:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:47 am

Well. Someone is wrong. Because as constructed, this team has not been good enough to win it all yet. You want to trot that same 15 out next year and expect a better result?
All I am saying is the roster is not a mess, does it need tweaking (again) yes, but to blow it up is simply stupid IMO. We have two rather significant needs, a floor general/shot creator (not named LeBron) and a true presence in the middle. It is disingenuous to say the coach was the problem with this roster and then say the roster needs blown up. A real offensive mind makes way better use of a Mo/West/LeBron mix IMO, would that guy still need other pieces, sure. Does the roster suck w/o LeBron, yes, but it wasn't built w/o LeBron in mind.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:50 am

jb wrote:

Its not by choice buddy.

Bron is gonzo.
You're letting demons and ghosts log in your thoughts. There is no reason to think the Cavaliers are still not a 50/50 shot in LeBron's mind. We've been over this, there are too many sensible and reasonable things to suggest he still considers staying more than leaving.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 pm

FUDU wrote:You're letting demons and ghosts log in your thoughts. There is no reason to think the Cavaliers are still not a 50/50 shot in LeBron's mind. We've been over this, there are too many sensible and reasonable things to suggest he still considers staying more than leaving.

I agree with FUDU here.

I still think he ends up here. I still think he does after being an egomaniacal asshole for another two months and dragging it out until mid August or later.

But he ends up back here.

I just don't want to watch anything having to do wth him walking the runway for two and a half months because he sickens me with it all.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:32 pm

What Peeker said
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby papacass » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:36 pm

peeker643 wrote:I still think he ends up here. I still think he does after being an egomaniacal asshole for another two months and dragging it out until mid August or later.

Doesn't he have a movie to shoot? He might want to make a decision before he goes off to film "Kazaam II."

Then again, if he really is clueless about what he wants to do, and spends the summer waffling, he might go off to the soundstage with nothing decided, and we'll be a week from training camp with LeBron's finger still poised over the doomsday button.

I could see a situation where he lets this drag on until somewhere around Labor Day. I don't think it's likely, but dude really seems like he has no idea what to do.
papacass

Unread postby pup » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:38 pm

papacass wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I still think he ends up here. I still think he does after being an egomaniacal asshole for another two months and dragging it out until mid August or later.

Doesn't he have a movie to shoot? He might want to make a decision before he goes off to film "Kazaam II."

Then again, if he really is clueless about what he wants to do, and spends the summer waffling, he might go off to the soundstage with nothing decided, and we'll be a week from training camp with LeBron's finger still poised over the doomsday button.

I could see a situation where he lets this drag on until somewhere around Labor Day. I don't think it's likely, but dude really seems like he has no idea what to do.

Or he knows exactly what is up, enjoys the drama and will announce it when he gets bored of the drama. Or sick of the nagging.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:46 pm

LeBron considers us a bunch of naggers? Interesting.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:50 pm

papacass wrote:I could see a situation where he lets this drag on until somewhere around Labor Day. I don't think it's likely, but dude really seems like he has no idea what to do.

I'd say Labor Day is right on the money as to when he'll grace people with his decision. Maybe a week earlier than that but right in that area for sure.

And then teams can scramble while 23 watches and is amused. And his amusement and joy over being able to manipulate the situation is 80% of what this all about IMO.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:58 pm

Labor Day? Christ.......
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby papacass » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:04 pm

pup wrote:Or he knows exactly what is up, enjoys the drama and will announce it when he gets bored of the drama. Or sick of the nagging.

LBJ loves himself some drama and attention, and if he drags things out, he certainly gets more of it. But I still say he's an overwhelmed kid with dozens of people tugging him in any number of directions, giving him reasons why he needs to stay home in Ohio, or why he'd be crazy to not sign with an up-and-coming team in Chicago, or why New York is the ONLY place to go if he wants to be a billionaire cultural icon.

Yeah, he has advisors. But those advisors are the ones rattling their sabres right now. The decision is ultimately LeBron's, and the pressure he's under as a kid several years removed from college age is insane. I'd freeze up under a fraction of the pressure he's facing.

Let's not give LeBron more credit than what's due. He's well-coached and well-groomed for fame, but he's not the slick, savvy, always-in-control puppet master that some seem to assume he is. He has a lot of questions without answers right now -- and a lot of people hammering him with what they believe are the right answers.

I don't know how you even begin to separate fact from bullshit if you're LeBron.
papacass

Unread postby pup » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:38 pm

papacass wrote:
pup wrote:Or he knows exactly what is up, enjoys the drama and will announce it when he gets bored of the drama. Or sick of the nagging.

LBJ loves himself some drama and attention, and if he drags things out, he certainly gets more of it. But I still say he's an overwhelmed kid with dozens of people tugging him in any number of directions, giving him reasons why he needs to stay home in Ohio, or why he'd be crazy to not sign with an up-and-coming team in Chicago, or why New York is the ONLY place to go if he wants to be a billionaire cultural icon.

Yeah, he has advisors. But those advisors are the ones rattling their sabres right now. The decision is ultimately LeBron's, and the pressure he's under as a kid several years removed from college age is insane. I'd freeze up under a fraction of the pressure he's facing.

Let's not give LeBron more credit than what's due. He's well-coached and well-groomed for fame, but he's not the slick, savvy, always-in-control puppet master that some seem to assume he is. He has a lot of questions without answers right now -- and a lot of people hammering him with what they believe are the right answers.

I don't know how you even begin to separate fact from bullshit if you're LeBron.

Because at the end of days, it isn't like all of this has snuck up on him and his peeps. they have been living and prepping for it for about 3 years now.

The decision is not going to be easy. But the factors in it are not all that tough. To be the Global Icon, he needs to win a bunch of rings. Who is best set up to help me get multiple rings.

He knows the Cavs plans. They are happening right in front of his eyes. Player acquisition is still unsettled. Once the Izzo is the HC it is determining what they can and cannot add.

The Bulls are pretty settled in. Will Toronto or Cleveland bite on a S&T to combine he and Bosh?

Do the Knicks comp to the current Cavs with him and his Robin?
Will Donald Sterling give up control of Clippers?

What else is there really? Not going to Miami. Nets became non-factors because of ping pong balls.

I do not get the sense he is agonizing over this. Does Izzo take the job? If yes, can they pull a deal to get a lottery helper? Can they acquire one of his boys? If those are all in line, he stays.

Does Izzo say no? Who is next on his list? Then the other questions fall in.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Gilbert saying James has no say in the next coach.

The concept that LeBron James has been involved in any way, shape or form with firing our head coach, involved in the transition to general manager Chris Grant and will be involved in future coaching decisions and hires is totally, 100 percent and patently false," Gilbert said. "It's unfair to him. It's unfair to the franchise.

lol. Yeah. Right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5264853
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 am

IFF Lebron knows what he is going to do, it behooves him* to make his decision official as soon as possible. That way, cohesion can be brought to his (new) team so that the focus can immediately turn* to roster building/tweaking and the 2010-2011 season. The longer this plays out, the less together and prepared to win will his (new) team be.

*Unless, of course, Lebron is about more than just winning.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:54 am

Hi Oktane wrote:IFF Lebron knows what he is going to do, it behooves him* to make his decision official as soon as possible. That way, cohesion can be brought to his (new) team so that the focus can immediately turn* to roster building/tweaking and the 2010-2011 season. The longer this plays out, the less together and prepared to win will his (new) team be.

*Unless, of course, Lebron is about more than just winning.

Stop talking sense Ok. It would have "behooved him" to re-up for max years and give the org some long-term stability to build something rather than go for 2 / 3 year band-aids. Unless, of course, your "unless" is spot on.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:57 am

Ziner wrote:
jb wrote:
Its not by choice buddy.

Bron is gonzo.

Thanks man, due to your Cavs winning it all prediction I feel much better about the prospects of him staying. You all might as well renew your tickets for the next three years ;-) ;) :wink:

Just what I see Z.

Trust me, I won't be going Ke$ha $ide and my stomach will still spin when he ends up in Chicago.

Here's an interesting take. Makes some sense as well.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/t ... z0qG4oHK1T
jb

Unread postby smalls1129 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:00 pm

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=29584

No nothing of the site, so have no idea how credible this is, but might be time to change the thread title. Interesting some of the other tweets about him wanting a strong NBA assistant to lean on.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:03 pm

smalls1129 wrote:http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=29584

No nothing of the site, so have no idea how credible this is, but might be time to change the thread title. Interesting some of the other tweets about him wanting a strong NBA assistant to lean on.

here's some more:

http://twitter.com/wojyahoonba
jb

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:08 pm

smalls1129 wrote:http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=29584

Windhorst tweeted this 2 hours ago regarding the meeting between Izzo and team.
PDcavsinsider Tom Izzo had a meeting with his players yesterday. MSU AD said today he thinks a decision comes before July 1.

Until another media outlet reports what wfny is, I'll hold it as speculation for now.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:31 pm

I listen to a Detroit sports show in the afternoon and one of the hosts, a complete Michigan State nut, said he thinks it's true after saying there was no chance earlier this week.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA