Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

TMLP Offers Coaching Job to Izzo?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

TMLP Offers Coaching Job to Izzo?

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:17 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: TMLP Offers Coaching Job to Izzo?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Odds?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:28 pm

I beat JB

anyways, interesting, not sure what to make of this, there's no question that Izzo is one of the most elite coaches in the country, and has a ring in the college game to prove it.

at the same time I somewhat feel it's a homer pick, I mean, he is the HC of Gilberts alma mater.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:31 pm

3/2

Izzo's never been seriously wooed before by the NBA. Flirtations, but no one that has gone out there and targeted him. No precedent like w Coach K where he's said time and again that hes entrenched. End of the day, TMLP is gonna offer him a big pay raise. Chance to coach LeBron James. 3-4 hour car drive from home.

Gonna be tough to pass on.

TMLP is back. Not sure what to think about this. Need to sleep on it. Track record of non-Larry Brown ex college coaches making the move to the NBA is off the charts 100% horrific. Always loved Izzo though.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cease » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:38 pm

If it's still a live story AM Wednesday, it's happening. Just a gut feeling that Izzo would personally squash this in 48 hrs. if he's not down.

Izzo's practice style is brutal. No idea how his red-ass will play in the pros. Then again, he needs to only convince one guy- LBJ, and the rest will fall in line. Finally, LBJ would get to play in a college program.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:43 pm

If Gilbert doesn't land Larry Brown and our choices are debatable retreads & college coaches then I wouldn't be totally against an Izzo hire. Would prefer to avoid the first time/college coach avenue BUT you know the old saying you can't get experience if you never get your first chance.

Maybe Izzo is the next great NBA coach?

Personally I think he is a lot like Coach K and really loves what he does at MSU.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Mentioned this on the Soundoff tonight, he seems very happy where he is and it's just a question of if money talks. He's in the top 3 of college coaches. He's done a lot without the big name lottery pick guys.

I don't know if he'll leave the kids to come to the egomaniacs of the NBA. I think he'll find that it's very hard to get through to them and it probably isn't a hurdle he wants to deal with.

But, we'll see. If money talks, he'll be here.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:02 pm

if Grant is an interim GM, then Izzo hiring makes no sense; you get your head of basketball ops/GM and let him pick the coach.

If Izzo gets hired, that interim shit is gone.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:11 pm

Seems like if Izzo was the kind of guy to go chasing cash, he would have left MSU for a place like Kentucky a long time ago.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:38 pm

I don't think the TMLP moniker is fair here. If 9 figures of your money were on the line, how would you react to these last two flameouts? Mike Brown on his best day isn't 1/10 of Tom Izzo and while Ferry got back good value in trades, he had an unlimited budget in a broke league. It wasn't exactly difficult. Gilbert didn't get where he is by accident, he's reading the tea leaves on what it will take to keep LeBron. Just give it some time.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby statmasta » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:04 am

TMLP?
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby waborat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:44 am

Just Get It Done...

Compared to JVG, Scott, MJax, Kelvin or anything else that seems available, I'll take my chances on Iz...

The "college coach" thing doesn't bother me here because you'd be getting one of the most experienced/winningest/respected leaders taking over a back-to-back 60 win team, not a middle-of-the-road or bottom-feeder which usually happens when these guys come in...

Intrude all you want on MSU, this is the kind of "meddling" I like to hear bout
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:18 am

I'm trying to think of the last non-Larry Brown college coach to successfully transition to the NBA. I can't think of one.

Flip side, off the top of my head ... Tarkanian, Carleisimo, Tim Floyd, Calipari, Pitino, Mike Montgomery, Lon Kruger ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby waborat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:33 am

swerb wrote:I'm trying to think of the last non-Larry Brown college coach to successfully transition to the NBA. I can't think of one.

Flip side, off the top of my head ... Tarkanian, Carleisimo, Tim Floyd, Calipari, Pitino, Mike Montgomery, Lon Kruger ...

There isn't one, but none of them took over a team with this much talent either (if majority stays, natch)...

The odds say it's time for one to succeed....

Besides, this is Cleveland where the odds are always in our favor ;-) ;) :wink:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:02 am

statmasta wrote:TMLP?

The Meddling Little Prick. Gilbert's sobriquet from his first months on the job in '05, when he looked a little too much like a wannabe Mark Cuban.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:43 am

swerb wrote:I'm trying to think of the last non-Larry Brown college coach to successfully transition to the NBA. I can't think of one.

Then again, a lot of those guys were brought in to oversee rebuilding projects. If Izzo took over a post-LeBron Cavs team, odds are he'd fail, too. Put LBJ in his hands, odds go up that he has success.

That said, not sure if Izzo is the guy you want. A select few college coaches could probably step into the right NBA environment and succeed. Not sure if Izzo is that guy. He's never touched the NBA -- as a player, assistant, unpaid intern who runs the video machine, anything.

Prior to ending up on Jud Heathcote's staff at MSU 20 years ago, almost all of Izzo's entire playing and coaching career occurred at Northern Michigan, with a year coaching high school ball and a cup of coffee at the U of Tulsa thrown in.

Izzo won an NCAA title, which is more than you can say for John Calipari, but it was already 10 years ago. Izzo turned Sparty into the Big Ten's basketball powerhouse, but it's not like MSU has been elevated into the Duke/UNC tier of college programs.

If it's true that Gilbert is trying to land Izzo, I think what we have here is an MSU grad overvaluing a fellow Spartan. For all his relative success in college ball, I think Izzo would be in for a massive culture shock trying to lead an NBA team.
papacass

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:45 am

Bill Fitch?

:lmfao:

There are times I scare even myself. Sometimes, you just need to get inside these cats heads and understand how they think. I saw TMLP's (yes, that gloss is back) face at game 5 and all it said was "F U Jobu, I do it myself." He looked like a mixture of pure embarrassment and a man who wanted to eat nails while going medievil on his entire organization.

In five years, we're going to look at game 5 of this last series and be nothing short of amazed and stunned as far as how it impacted this franchise. One game.

This is the ultimate self-made entrepreneur. He saw what the best player on earth in the regular season (TM) and his "professional" coach and GM gave to him for all his expendatures and was just digusted. You want owners who care as much as you do? Careful what you ask for (finish this sentance).

Now go to Izzo. Pure fire. TMLP's boi / idol. You think a state university like MSU can compete with TMLP financially? NFW. If TMLP wants him here and its about money, he's here. Unless Izzo understand basketball better than TMLP. Chortle.

Secondly, this is a sub message that if this is real, I don't think TMLP gives a rats ass what Bron does or doesn't do. Look into any TMLP _ism (TM) and see where Bron as Sun King fits into any of them. I bet his take is close to Jesse's scorched earth anger than "yeah but, he's still LeBron.".

http://www.sbnonline.com/Local/Article/ ... lture.aspx

http://www.whatsthediff.com/2009/01/fou ... witte.html

Ur looking at something close to a strip down rebuild baased on personality types who will cut yo to win a game. problem is, the Association is also abot star power talent PLUS that toughness. Not zero sum. An dthey ain't listening to some jive ass college coach who never played the game and is an outsider coaching-wise. Egos and bank accouts are way, way, way too big.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-bas ... tom01.html
Last edited by jb on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:52 am

swerb wrote:3/2

Izzo's never been seriously wooed before by the NBA. Flirtations, but no one that has gone out there and targeted him. No precedent like w Coach K where he's said time and again that hes entrenched. End of the day, TMLP is gonna offer him a big pay raise. Chance to coach LeBron James. 3-4 hour car drive from home.

Gonna be tough to pass on.

TMLP is back. Not sure what to think about this. Need to sleep on it. Track record of non-Larry Brown ex college coaches making the move to the NBA is off the charts 100% horrific. Always loved Izzo though.

Espn's picked up the story.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:57 am

Gradysmanldy wrote:if Grant is an interim GM, then Izzo hiring makes no sense; you get your head of basketball ops/GM and let him pick the coach.

If Izzo gets hired, that interim shit is gone.

Not necesarrily perhaps.

Izzo knows exactly d-i-c-k about the inner workings of cap and minutia of the Association.

They way this is gonna work is that TMLP thinks he can run the cavs like he built Quicken. He's now at the point where he's sure he knows it all. What he needs is the coach he thinks is as passionate as he is and a proven champion (albeit in college) and the wonk in the FO who can walk him through the detail.

IOW, Bron isn't the only one who wants to surround himself with sychophants.

The list of uber successful businessmen who underestimated pro sports is a long one. Add TMLP AFAIC.

Now, if this is true, and whether Izzy comes or not, we'll get to see if he Steibrenner or Stepien. That Rubicon has been crossed regardless of who ends up here AFAIC.

Tom Fakkin Izzo.

::doh::
jb

Unread postby pup » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:00 am

papacass wrote:

Then again, a lot of those guys were brought in to oversee rebuilding projects. If Izzo took over a post-LeBron Cavs team, odds are he'd fail, too. Put LBJ in his hands, odds go up that he has success.

That said, not sure if Izzo is the guy you want. A select few college coaches could probably step into the right NBA environment and succeed. Not sure if Izzo is that guy. He's never touched the NBA -- as a player, assistant, unpaid intern who runs the video machine, anything.

Prior to ending up on Jud Heathcote's staff at MSU 20 years ago, almost all of Izzo's entire playing and coaching career occurred at Northern Michigan, with a year coaching high school ball and a cup of coffee at the U of Tulsa thrown in.

Izzo won an NCAA title, which is more than you can say for John Calipari, but it was already 10 years ago. Izzo turned Sparty into the Big Ten's basketball powerhouse, but it's not like MSU has been elevated into the Duke/UNC tier of college programs.

If it's true that Gilbert is trying to land Izzo, I think what we have here is an MSU grad overvaluing a fellow Spartan. For all his relative success in college ball, I think Izzo would be in for a massive culture shock trying to lead an NBA team.

Seems to me the sum of MSU is always greater than its parts. Seems to me the guy has made the Final Four just about every other year.

Chalk me up as 100% on board for Izzo.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:44 am

Who the F wants to go to Michigan State?? I mean it's not even the top school in a somewhat shitty state. Trying to recruit in Lansing can't be f'ing easy. The fact that he wins consistently and his teams play well when it counts says a lot.

It's a hell of a lot easier to compete in win if you're the Tarheals or the blue devils then Sparty up in frozen F'ing Michigan.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:14 am

YahooFanChicago wrote:Who the F wants to go to Michigan State?? I mean it's not even the top school in a somewhat shitty state. Trying to recruit in Lansing can't be f'ing easy. The fact that he wins consistently and his teams play well when it counts says a lot.

It's a hell of a lot easier to compete in win if you're the Tarheals or the blue devils then Sparty up in frozen F'ing Michigan.

Izzo has had 12 High School All-Americans on his roster in his time there, per his Wikipedia page. Must not be that hard to convince recruits to go there. Or at least the cold winters and the fact that it's a "shitty" state must not be that big of a downside.
papacass

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:03 am

I don't care if he's recruiting for his alma mater or MSU. I don't care if he were at Chapel Hill or Wasabbi Range CC Juco.

Great college coach = control freak = Association Epic Fail.

Red herring debate.

Here is your takeaway story:

Big time college coaches do not succeed in the NBA. It is an incompatible pedegree. You could argue with me on that. You could also argue with me that water isn't really wet. And I's care just as much. Sorry.

Therefore.... if true, given his Sparty man-love, TMLP is making an emotional decision based on his way. Period.

Izzo is a symptom. That is the disease. Is it fatal? How does it impact the SOB (summer of Bron) ?

Discuss.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:38 am

jb wrote:I don't care if he's recruiting for his alma mater or MSU. I don't care if he were at Chapel Hill or Wasabbi Range CC Juco.

Red herring debate.

Big time college coaches do not succeed in the NBA. It is an incompatible pedegree. You could argue with me on that. You could also argue with me that water isn't really wet. And I's care just as much. Sorry.

Therefore.... if true, given his Sparty man-love, TMLP is making an emotional decision based on his way. Period.

Izzo is a symptom. That is the disease. Is it fatal? How does it impact the SOB (summer of Bron) ?

Discuss.
I completely understand where you're coming from <cough>Ed's state champs in baseball suck it bitch<cough> but let me play devil's advocate for second. explain a Greg Popovich or a Riley?

FUDU

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:01 pm

jb wrote:Izzo is a symptom. That is the disease. Is it fatal? How does it impact the SOB (summer of Bron) ?

But what is the goal right now? Is it finding a coach that will help the Cavs win championships, or getting Bron to sign a legally binding form printed on Cavs letterhead?

I'd argue that, at this point, it's B. If Izzo is a colossal, spectacular, Tsar Bomba, 100-mile-high mushroom cloud of a failure as an NBA coach, the point is, if the move catches LeBron's fancy enough to convince him to re-sign here, it's mission accomplished.

And let's not go down the road of "LBJ is too smart for that, he wants titles, he'll see right through this ruse." That's giving Bron, and his handlers, way too much credit.

LeBron James has absolutely no idea what he wants right now. He has a handful of legitimate options in front of him, but he has no clue which move is the right move. This indecision he's been exhibiting, it's not him toying with us or Chicago or New York. It's him with 100 different people in his ear, telling him different things, and armed with the world knowledge of a 25-year-old, Bron has no idea which button to push.

He's relying on circumstance, offseason moves, the LRMR boys, World Wide Wes, Dru Joyce and Keith Dambrot to show him the way. So in that cacophony of sycophantic slurping, maybe hiring someone like Tom Izzo would stand out to LeBron.

Gilbert might be a Bron sycophant too, but he's a good enough businessman to know how to play the cards he's been dealt.
papacass

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:21 pm

papacass wrote:
jb wrote:Izzo is a symptom. That is the disease. Is it fatal? How does it impact the SOB (summer of Bron) ?

But what is the goal right now? Is it finding a coach that will help the Cavs win championships, or getting Bron to sign a legally binding form printed on Cavs letterhead?

I'd argue that, at this point, it's B. If Izzo is a colossal, spectacular, Tsar Bomba, 100-mile-high mushroom cloud of a failure as an NBA coach, the point is, if the move catches LeBron's fancy enough to convince him to re-sign here, it's mission accomplished.

And let's not go down the road of "LBJ is too smart for that, he wants titles, he'll see right through this ruse." That's giving Bron, and his handlers, way too much credit.

LeBron James has absolutely no idea what he wants right now. He has a handful of legitimate options in front of him, but he has no clue which move is the right move. This indecision he's been exhibiting, it's not him toying with us or Chicago or New York. It's him with 100 different people in his ear, telling him different things, and armed with the world knowledge of a 25-year-old, Bron has no idea which button to push.

He's relying on circumstance, offseason moves, the LRMR boys, World Wide Wes, Dru Joyce and Keith Dambrot to show him the way. So in that cacophony of sycophantic slurping, maybe hiring someone like Tom Izzo would stand out to LeBron.

Gilbert might be a Bron sycophant too, but he's a good enough businessman to know how to play the cards he's been dealt.

See, I'm not seeing LBJ gives a rat's ass about Izzy. He may be a big name for some, but he's an association nobody. Shit, Tom Thibideau is a bigger NBA name.

I see Izzy as a big middle finger to Bron as in, I did everything for you, I let you have a say, I treated you in an exhaulted manner, and you gave me game 5. Well, I no longer cae what you want. I'm bringing in a guy who will never ever allow game 5 ever again. Stay, don't stay, but *I* pick the coach, and its gonna be a slobberknocker.

I in no way whatsoever see Izzo as an attempt to impress Bron. I see him as the guy to take the 5 Pistons of 2004 and hone thm into a tough as nails TEAM if I'm TMLP.

Personally? I see him as the most likely next dude to get Spree'd if he's foolishe enough to make the jump.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:30 pm

FUDU wrote:
jb wrote:I don't care if he's recruiting for his alma mater or MSU. I don't care if he were at Chapel Hill or Wasabbi Range CC Juco.

Red herring debate.

Discuss.
I completely understand where you're coming from <cough>Ed's state champs in baseball suck it bitch<cough> but let me play devil's advocate for second. explain a Greg Popovich or a Riley?

Did Stetson get picked yet? What an arm. Still, just another girlfriend/parent title for da Iggles. Can't win the big one in Ohio's obsession.

But not why I called.

Dude, I',m nicer than Eyesore, so I'll stay nice. ;-)

But dumb point.

Pop is a Larry Brown protoge. He came up with his team with the unique mantle of being the HMFIC" boi.

Riles? Dude. He has Association cred from playing days, iclu LA. He was the Lakers' asst hand picked by Magic to be HMFIC.

You are making my point. This is NBA pedegree. Not college hoops. And the gulf in how different things are in the Association & NCAA has never been wider.
jb

Unread postby tired » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Papa ??? Anybody ??? Do we know if LeBron is co-operating with Gilbert on this offer or, is LeBron just sitting back watching what Gilbert does before making his decision ??? Thanks
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:37 pm

JB wrote:Did Stetson get picked yet? What an arm. Still, just another girlfriend/parent title for da Iggles. Can't win the big one in Ohio's obsession.

But not why I called.

Dude, I',m nicer than Eyesore, so I'll stay nice. ;-)

But dumb point.

Pop is a Larry Brown protoge. He came up with his team with the unique mantle of being the HMFIC" boi.

Riles? Dude. He has Association cred from playing days, iclu LA. He was the Lakers' asst hand picked by Magic to be HMFIC.

You are making my point. This is NBA pedegree. Not college hoops. And the gulf in how different things are in the Association & NCAA has never been wider.
Thing is those two had zero coaching "cred" before they got their chance, IOW the next great coach is never found unless he gets his chance. Also let's not gloss over the fact that the said two coaches (as well as some others) hand picked/fell into perfect coaching roles. You've never seen Riley take on a massive project (nor Phillip for that matter), and in the next few seasons we are going to find out just how good a coach Pop really is.

All I am saying is right now the biggest thing in preventing Izzo from success is him actually getting a gig, after that it is 50/50 of course.

BTW can we rent some space for our banners? Cleaning those things is like painting the Golden Gate bridge, by the time you finish you have to start all over again.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:45 pm

FUDU wrote:BTW can we rent some space for our banners?

Call Strongsville.

jb

Unread postby daddywags » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:46 pm

Gotta go with jb on this one. This has disaster written all over it - right under "Dan Gilbert gets his way." It's an amazing coincidence, isn't it, that the guy from the college coaching ranks just happens to come from Danny's alma mater? I was worried about this back in the days when he was trying to recreate the Pistons' here by luring Larry Brown (which would also be a mistake - see, I don't just knee jerk agree with jb). While everybody says he's a business genius, and I'll give him that, Dan Gilbert's basketball experise starts with Michigan State/Tom Izzo and ends with Detroit Pistons/Larry Brown. Hell, if Izzo turns us down, I'll bet the next guy on the list is Bill Laimbeer.
daddywags

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:50 pm

daddywags wrote:Hell, if Izzo turns us down, I'll bet the next guy on the list is Bill Laimbeer.
Well we would be assured Rondo would NEVER see the rim again.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:54 pm

daddywags wrote: Hell, if Izzo turns us down, I'll bet the next guy on the list is Bill Laimbeer.

Which assuming a post-LBJ Era is to begin I think would be an inspired choice.

I think he's the next Scott Skiles.
jb

Unread postby tired » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:56 pm

I almost think Laimbeer would be better. UHG
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:57 pm

tired wrote:Papa ??? Anybody ??? Do we know if LeBron is co-operating with Gilbert on this offer or, is LeBron just sitting back watching what Gilbert does before making his decision ??? Thanks

LeBron is Caesar right now, sitting in his shaded perch, waiting for the gladiators to start slaughtering each other. No way he's working with the Cavs on any personnel matter.
papacass

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:12 pm

jb wrote:See, I'm not seeing LBJ gives a rat's ass about Izzy. He may be a big name for some, but he's an association nobody. Shit, Tom Thibideau is a bigger NBA name.

I see Izzy as a big middle finger to Bron as in, I did everything for you, I let you have a say, I treated you in an exhaulted manner, and you gave me game 5. Well, I no longer cae what you want. I'm bringing in a guy who will never ever allow game 5 ever again. Stay, don't stay, but *I* pick the coach, and its gonna be a slobberknocker.

I in no way whatsoever see Izzo as an attempt to impress Bron. I see him as the guy to take the 5 Pistons of 2004 and hone thm into a tough as nails TEAM if I'm TMLP.

Personally? I see him as the most likely next dude to get Spree'd if he's foolishe enough to make the jump.

Elements of truth to this, most definitely. Izzo is a pretty hardcore coach, especially when it comes to defense. And I'm sure that Gilbert would give Izzo carte blanche to kick anyone, LBJ included, in the ass as hard as he needs to in order to get the point across. No more Mike Brown "let the players come to their own conclusions" coaching. The players lost their right to democracy when they wet the bed vs. Boston.

But I still think Izzo is a big name. Not Coach K big, but Bron follows college ball and he knows a thing or two about Izzo. If he were to be hired as Cavs coach, LBJ would take notice. He might not know Steve Alford from Rob Halford, but Izzo is a household name if you follow basketball like Bron does.
papacass

Unread postby scott » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:39 pm

papacass wrote:
But I still think Izzo is a big name.

Hella lot better than waiting around to see if Calipari wants to grace the team with his presense for 10mil per.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:47 pm

papacass wrote:
jb wrote:See, I'm not seeing LBJ gives a rat's ass about Izzy. He may be a big name for some, but he's an association nobody. Shit, Tom Thibideau is a bigger NBA name.

Elements of truth to this, most definitely. Izzo is a pretty hardcore coach, especially when it comes to defense. And I'm sure that Gilbert would give Izzo carte blanche to kick anyone, LBJ included, in the ass as hard as he needs to in order to get the point across. No more Mike Brown "let the players come to their own conclusions" coaching. The players lost their right to democracy when they wet the bed vs. Boston.

But I still think Izzo is a big name. Not Coach K big, but Bron follows college ball and he knows a thing or two about Izzo. If he were to be hired as Cavs coach, LBJ would take notice. He might not know Steve Alford from Rob Halford, but Izzo is a household name if you follow basketball like Bron does.

How much does Bron care about names' Q value vs title cred? Again, call me nuts butt I think Izzo has no name cred in the Association. Who is there to sing his praises? Muhteeeen Cleaves? Charlie Bell?

Me thinks this is evidence of Hnat's Post-Bron theory that TMLP is rising up and now feels he can be Maximum Leader.
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:54 pm

I think there is 0% chance Izzo comes if LeBron isn't going to re-sign. I just don't see it, so I in no way agree with that last part you got there JB.

I am somehow indifferent on Izzo. I think he could X and O with anyone but how well can he deal with egos? We have no effin clue. I think comparing Izzo to other college coaches in the past is rubbish as well. What other college coach was given the reigns to the team with the best record in the league 2 years running. Apples and Oranges to compare the two.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:03 pm

Ziner wrote: I think comparing Izzo to other college coaches in the past is rubbish as well. What other college coach was given the reigns to the team with the best record in the league 2 years running.

Barry Switzer ?

jb

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:06 pm

Coach K did a pretty decent job handling the egos.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:Coach K did a pretty decent job handling the egos.

Better than Larry Brown to be sure.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Windy saying an offer of 5 years at $6m per year (doubling Izzo's MSU pay) plus use of a private jet.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf ... _high.html
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby papacass » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:24 pm

I wonder if it's within the rules to give Izzo an amnesty clause if Bron bolts. That might be the only way Gilbert could seal the deal. If Bron leaves and the Cavs now have a rebuilding project on their hands, Izzo gets to walk away and return to East Lansing, no questions asked.

I'm sure the Sparty AD would be willing to appoint an interim coach and wait on LeBron's decision. It's worth it to get Izzo back if Bron leaves the Cavs. If Bron re-ups, MSU can then begin a full-scale search for a new coach.
papacass

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:29 pm

papacass wrote:I wonder if it's within the rules to give Izzo an amnesty clause if Bron bolts. That might be the only way Gilbert could seal the deal. If Bron leaves and the Cavs now have a rebuilding project on their hands, Izzo gets to walk away and return to East Lansing, no questions asked.

I'm sure the Sparty AD would be willing to appoint an interim coach and wait on LeBron's decision. It's worth it to get Izzo back if Bron leaves the Cavs. If Bron re-ups, MSU can then begin a full-scale search for a new coach.

It isnt the worst idea in the world, but I cant help but laugh at the absurdity of the idea because of one 25 year old's ego. What a shit show.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:32 pm

jb wrote:Secondly, this is a sub message that if this is real, I don't think TMLP gives a rats ass what Bron does or doesn't do. Look into any TMLP _ism (TM) and see where Bron as Sun King fits into any of them. I bet his take is close to Jesse's scorched earth anger than "yeah but, he's still LeBron.".

I have been trying to point this out for some time, and all you have to do is listen to any press event with Gilbert to understand. Gilbert will do anything to improve the worth of his investment, and make it attractive to top-talent.

I disagree with much of the rest, but only becuase I'm back in overtly positive mode, and I see your back in the valley.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Ziner wrote:
papacass wrote:I wonder if it's within the rules to give Izzo an amnesty clause if Bron bolts. That might be the only way Gilbert could seal the deal. If Bron leaves and the Cavs now have a rebuilding project on their hands, Izzo gets to walk away and return to East Lansing, no questions asked.

It isnt the worst idea in the world, but I cant help but laugh at the absurdity of the idea because of one 25 year old's ego. What a shit show.

Not just Bron, but it is the new culture. Read Woj's piece that had the link posted.

I think here is another big picture: this is the AAU / Nike Camp player generation empowered as FA's. What's been going on from their HS choice decisions, to the college recruiting free for all, to now the Association.

These guys followed the Nike Camp model all the way to the top. They are now more powerful than the owners and commish. It'll be fascinationg to see if Stern stands for this.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Ziner wrote:

Just another domino in his personal game.

Seriously, if people think he's not going to take this into August at the earliest and throw the entire league, entire cities, entire franchises and even the college coaching ranks into a virtual standstill because, simply put, he can and it amuses him, they are crazy.

He can and will.

One Cavs player has already noted he won't know where he's going until September because LBJ is an attention craving dude.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:38 pm

peeker643 wrote:Windy saying an offer of 5 years at $6m per year (doubling Izzo's MSU pay) plus use of a private jet.

Per Forbes, that would put him behind only Phil Jackson, Belichick, Shanahan, Larry Brown, and Pete Carroll for highest paid coach in sports. This for a 1st time NBA coach. Wow.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:44 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Windy saying an offer of 5 years at $6m per year (doubling Izzo's MSU pay) plus use of a private jet.

Per Forbes, that would put him behind only Phil Jackson, Belichick, Shanahan, Larry Brown, and Pete Carroll for highest paid coach in sports. This for a 1st time NBA coach. Wow.

You might wanna change your screen name to CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin16.

;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Next

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA