Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Ferry Quits

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Ferry Quits

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 pm

pup wrote:3. Derrick Favors over Evan Turner.

the scene on this forum, when that pick is made:

Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Yinzer Hater wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Larry Brown leaving Charlotte ain't happenin' Larry Brown loves Carolina and loves working for MJ. When he took the job he said it was his last job in college or pro
Yes he enjoys Charlotte, loves MJ, but has hinted at never leaving a place before. Plus he had some interest in the Philly job due to his family. Bottom line is Larry Brown likes money like everybody else and also likes some control and is interested in a FO job with ownership possibilities, not to mention his long track record of picking up and leaving at a moments notice.

Larry Brown took his last coaching job when he took the Bobcats job. He was all set to retire and if not for the Bobcats being near his home and Carolina being close to his heart he wouldn't be coaching anywhere right now. Big pipe dream

I have heard this as well.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby davemanddd » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:34 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Source: Chris Grant is Cavs GM in title only. Gilbert trying to clear way for big name to be prez of basketball operations & coach. #cavs

per amico's twitter.

about the only guy who would fit that bill is pat riley.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:44 pm

I want to acquire Chris Bosh anyway we can. I know easier said then done but if it can be done at all I want to go that route.
Crash Davis

Unread postby papacass » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Crash Davis wrote:I want to acquire Chris Bosh anyway we can. I know easier said then done but if it can be done at all I want to go that route.

Unfortunately, adding Bosh to this team probably means they're still too soft to knock off Boston or Orlando in the playoffs. Bosh is purely a finesse player. He doesn't have the girth or grit to handle a healthy KG, or do time guarding Howard.

There is a reason why the Raps haven't been able to build a contender around Bosh yet. Bosh is a fine player, but I don't think I'd classify him as "dominant."
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:03 pm

That isn't the reason I want or don't want Bosh its because he's most likely to tied to wherever LeBron goes or plays. I can't see Wade and LeBron ending up on the same team but a Bosh/LeBron combo is a very good possibility somewhere whether or not its a winning combination is another topic for debate, just sayin' its likely.
Crash Davis

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:10 pm

How did a discussion of Ferry and his potential replacements turn into yet another fantasyland trade discussion?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Items of discussion:

- If Chris Grant's Heckert, then who's playing Walrus? (Again, Larry Brown is still under contract with the Bobcats, until he walks he's not an option.)

- Is this Gilbert going all-in on bringing back 'Bron? If the goal is bringing home hardware and hosting parades downtown, is this a good idea?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:15 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:How did a discussion of Ferry and his potential replacements turn into yet another fantasyland trade discussion?

In the words of some guy "fuckin' magic, brah".

And FTR you pick Turner, it's a guard driven league. I like Favors, maybe the most upside in the draft behind Wall.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Yinzer Hater » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Items of discussion:

- If Chris Grant's Heckert, then who's playing Walrus? (Again, Larry Brown is still under contract with the Bobcats, until he walks he's not an option.)

I have a sneaky suspicion Dan Gilbert is playing Walrus errrr Mark Cuban (God help us).
Definition,Yinzer : A person who lives in a trailer off government money,drinks iron city beer,has limited intelligence,follows the Steelers, and refuses to accept the fact that their team is actually piss yellow and not gold.
Yinzer Hater

Favorite Player: Shin-Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Worthlessberger

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm

pup wrote:1. Ferry wanted to keep Mike Brown. Enough to cause to not let him in on the selection of the next coach.

2. Ferry wasn't working. 5 years and never built a team that could get further than his first one. The best GM's involve their star, but don't use it as an excuse once things don't work, and I believe he back channeled all of the local comments about giving LBJ what he wanted in player acquisitions.

3. Derrick Favors over Evan Turner.

Why the ef would you take favors when you have Hickson?

And I'm not saying Hickson is all that, but you have a decent young guy at PF.....you have....what? at SG?

Not like Favors is Blake Griffen coming out of college...or is he? You tell me...

WHy not Cousins if you want to go big?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby waborat » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:20 pm

Came down to Gilby telling DF that he was going to be a lot more visible over the next several months...

Danno wanted to still pull the strings and now he's eating government cheese......

Guy did a lot of good while he was here and pretty much did everything he could over the past few years (I agree the Shaq deal was done 6 months too late)...

My biggest complaint was going back to '05 and blowing Gilby's wad on anything in sight...Shoulda told Kingie then to be patient and wait another year...

Grant's the right man...Hell, hasn't he been running the drafts longer then Ferry here anyways???

And the saga continues........
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:44 pm

The more I read, the more I wonder if we should resurrect the TMLP tag.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby waborat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:The more I read, the more I wonder if we should resurrect the TMLP tag.

I disagree (right now)...

Gilby should get more involved then ever before with his organization...

He knows that everything is on the line with the reupping of Kingie and the DF/Roker regime couldn't get it done in their 5 years...

Sure, it was the best run in the org's history, but it's time to take that to the next level and at least Gilby's got the sack to try
waborat

Unread postby Cease » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:57 am

I'm stumped... TMPL
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tmlp
TMLP is a very useful French acronym which litteraly translates as Your Mother The Hoe.

Too Many Leaders Present?
Terrible Men Placate LeBron?
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby waborat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Cease wrote:I'm stumped... TMPL
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tmlp
TMLP is a very useful French acronym which litteraly translates as Your Mother The Hoe.

Too Many Leaders Present?
Terrible Men Placate LeBron?

TCF101...

"The Meddling Lil' Prick"

Somewhere around here, Swerb's got an actual Gilby Vader photo, I believe?
waborat

Unread postby Cease » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks, prof. Borat.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:15 pm

waborat wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:The more I read, the more I wonder if we should resurrect the TMLP tag.

I disagree (right now)...

Gilby should get more involved then ever before with his organization...

He knows that everything is on the line with the reupping of Kingie and the DF/Roker regime couldn't get it done in their 5 years...

Sure, it was the best run in the org's history, but it's time to take that to the next level and at least Gilby's got the sack to try

Gilbert is looking at the very real possibility that the franchise value goes straight into the shitter if Bron walks. He can meddle all he wants to protect his investment.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Gilbert needs involved in getting this on track correctly, if he wants ultimate success then he needs to go full throttle to get it.

I'm sensing he has something big in the works as we speak, big name FO/coach and a big move or two ready to pull off as soon as said coach is in place, hell the desired coach might be involved already. You never know how these things work when they are taking place in somewhat hush hush situations.

Oh and this Grant cat, most likely a GM in name only, no?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby CP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:28 pm

FUDU wrote:Oh and this Grant cat, most likely a GM in name only, no?

Agree 100%. Grant maintains some level of organizational stability throughout the transition, but it's obvious he isn't calling the shots. His job appears to be to tend to the day-to-day details of the basketball operations.

If Thibodeau is in Chicago, Monty Williams heads to the Hornets and Avery Johnson to the Nets, that leaves Cleveland, the Clippers and the Hawks as the last vacancies, which is interesting given the big names that are potentially going to dip their toes in the water. Clippers have an intriguing situation but I can't see anyone in a hurry to enter into a marriage with Donald Sterling.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Gilbert gave Ferry total control last go around when Ferry left the negotiating table at the last minute. Gilbert was unwilling to do that with Ferry's new deal, and Ferry having 5 kids and plenty of money wasn't about to give up total control.

You had a sucessful GM and a successful businessman unwilling to yield to eachother. They mutually part ways with no hard feelings, and a competent guy steps right in. People need to do some reading on Grant. Guy is well respected around the league, and Ferry, not an ego maniac was allowing him to basically operate as co-general manager for the past few years.

IMO there is almost nothing to see here, a seamless transition... Gilbert hired and fired Brown, and gives final OK on spending more money. Same ole, same ole...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:40 pm

"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby waborat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Orenthal wrote:IMO there is almost nothing to see here, a seamless transition... Gilbert hired and fired Brown, and gives final OK on spending more money. Same ole, same ole...

Agree...

Like I posted last night, Grant is the right guy and his name has come up repeatedly over the past few years as one of the main peeps to have gotten something done in the org...

I could have sworn that he was here in a different capacity before Gilby brought in the DF/Roker regime and DF promoted him to AssGM, but I see in today's paper that wasn't the case?
waborat

Unread postby waborat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Thx for posting, excellent article there on the history of DF here in C-Town...

The highs 'n lows of how everything he did from day 1 has had an effect up until now...

Kinda like the player, as a GM, he gets an "A" for effort, "C" for achievement and an "I" for intention
waborat

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:18 pm

I've been pointed to Dwyer by others... :thumb up:

He wraps it up without the homerism and hindsight judgements that color some of the posts here... Ferry did a good job recovering from Z, Laura, Marshall, and Jones. He was handicapped by LeBron, take-two happening right now, and was working uphill the entire time.

Each move made the team better, but that was mostly due to Gilbert taking on ever more money and years. Dwyer measures the moves based on results, but doesn't lose sight of how much sense the moves made when they happened.

When he had draft picks, thanks Pax, he did a decent job (Grant led the draft prep). Brown, Gibson, Ugboaja, Hickson, Jackson, Kaun, and Eyenga. Hickson was the highest picked at 19 and we see the potential. Brown was never really given a chance here, was picked 25th, and has probably topped out in LA. Gibson is a proven 3-point shooter that is working on an overall game, and should, with Delonte being the major trade chip, get more playing time. The rest were 2nd rounders who played garbage time, or are Euro's that may one day become role players. Eyenga the last of the picks, 30th overall, may have some upside, but is currently splitting time on the varsity and JV team in Spain.
Orenthal

Unread postby waborat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Orenthal wrote:He was handicapped by LeBron, take-two happening right now, and was working uphill the entire time.

Hell of a Catch-22 w/ Kingie...

They're challengers each season with him, but he's also hurt this organization every summer due to his lack of long term commitment...

DF's decisions were always tied to "results immediately", instead of his SA copying goals for long term success...

BTW, loved how Dwyer compared him to Pippen instead of MJ
waborat

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Column is exactly dead nuts on and is exactly what I have always told friends when defending Ferry's acquisitions. The only thing Dwyer leaves out is that Hughes was actually the 3rd option after Allen and Redd that offseason.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby waborat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:54 pm

aoxo1 wrote:The only thing Dwyer leaves out is that Hughes was actually the 3rd option after Allen and Redd that offseason.

THAT was DC's biggest victory vs the Cavs this decade
waborat

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:43 am

Bottom line is Ferry was leaving regardless of his reason, which tells you the reason was somebody new coming in and having control Ferry didnt't have etc...

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we acquired CP3 in some sort of big trade.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:41 am

FUDU wrote:At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we acquired CP3 in some sort of big trade.

lol wut?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:09 am

FUDU wrote:Bottom line is Ferry was leaving regardless of his reason, which tells you the reason was somebody new coming in and having control Ferry didnt't have etc...

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we acquired CP3 in some sort of big trade.

We'd obviously love that, but Windy shoots this one down pretty hard in the PD today.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:12 pm

I wish I had the internal fortitude to read that paper.

FUDU

Unread postby waborat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
FUDU wrote:Bottom line is Ferry was leaving regardless of his reason, which tells you the reason was somebody new coming in and having control Ferry didnt't have etc...

We'd obviously love that, but Windy shoots this one down pretty hard in the PD today.

Offer N'Orlins some sand bags, clean shrimp and our baseball team to check the interest level
waborat

Re: Ferry looking to walk?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:58 am

jb wrote: My biggest irratiojnal fear is that Gilbert backed up the Brinks truck to..... Tom Izzo. :gah:

Good call, man. As it turns out, your fear wasn't irrational after all..........
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby pup » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:02 am

Ferry did not want to fire Mike Freakin Brown. All I need to know about wanting his involvement in picking the new coach.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:08 pm

I didn't want Mike Brown fired, either.

I just wanted him to be able to coach the best collection of talent a Cleveland team has ever had to a fucking championship like he was supposed to. I wanted him to be able to understand his personnel better than half the dudes on this board, and be able to draw up something vaguely related to offense.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:35 pm

pup wrote:Ferry did not want to fire Mike Freakin Brown. All I need to know about wanting his involvement in picking the new coach.

Had this conversation with a co-worker today when he mentioned how we could get rid of Ferry...
Orenthal

Unread postby pup » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:53 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:I didn't want Mike Brown fired, either.

I just wanted him to be able to coach the best collection of talent a Cleveland team has ever had to a fucking championship like he was supposed to. I wanted him to be able to understand his personnel better than half the dudes on this board, and be able to draw up something vaguely related to offense.

And I just want to hit the Mega Millions and Powerball in the same week.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA