Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU 2011 Recruiting Update

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU 2011 Recruiting Update

Unread postby danwismar » Sun May 30, 2010 1:39 pm

I doubt that there's anyone outside the Ohio State coaching staff who is more knowledgeable about the state of Buckeye recruiting than Bill Greene of Scout.com.

Most of his stuff there is premium content, but he's got a freebie up at the site today that projects the remaining 11 probable recruits in the class of 2011...plus all the sleepers and long shots, etc.(I'd sure love to see Tim Spencer's kid Evan wind up in Columbus)

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/973256.html

If in fact they add the eight guys he's projecting (Miller, DePriest, Grant, Walker, Vannett, Wynn, Sturdivant and Tanner) it will be an incredible class, regardless of the last two or three names on the list.

Then 2012 will be the year of the running back (Warren Ball, Brionte Dunn, Deshawn Hall)
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: OSU 2011 Recruiting Update

Unread postby furls » Sun May 30, 2010 7:28 pm

I had read/heard that the Bucks have strong shot at Vaughters too. I was a little surprised to see that Greene is so confident that Vaughters is on his way to Stanford. The fact that he is reporting a time table makes it seem pretty solid. I guess a class of DePriest and Vaughters would be too ridiculous. I like both better than Hicks, I see them as Dorian Bell types.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:22 am

furls wrote:I had read/heard that the Bucks have strong shot at Vaughters too. I was a little surprised to see that Greene is so confident that Vaughters is on his way to Stanford. The fact that he is reporting a time table makes it seem pretty solid. I guess a class of DePriest and Vaughters would be too ridiculous. I like both better than Hicks, I see them as Dorian Bell types.

Vaughters will be one to watch. It is very stange that he thinks Vaughters is Standford bound, especially in the midst of so much pro-OSU talk/factors right now.

I am interested to see how this plays out.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:12 am

I have yet to find a respectable link for it, but rumors were swirling everywhere that Braxton Miller will commit to the buckeyes this week.

I just read that the presser is scheduled for Thursday.

When a more respectable publication reports this, I'll post a link.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Confirmed on Rivals. Miller to announce on the 3rd of June.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:56 pm

Sweet. Milla time in da hizzy.

Let the dynasty continue.

Suck it Dick Rod
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:00 pm

jb wrote:Sweet. Milla time in da hizzy.

Let the dynasty continue.

Suck it Dick Rod

From some reports, Depriest is his BFF as well.

Can't hurt.

This class is going to be 90% full before the season starts.
JCoz

Unread postby tired » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Anyone think Cardale Jones gets an offer ? I've read where he has grade issue's and is a Penn. St. lean.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:51 pm

tired wrote:Anyone think Cardale Jones gets an offer ? I've read where he has grade issue's and is a Penn. St. lean.

Def NOT a PSU lean. If he gets an OSU offer that is where he goes. He needs a better ACT but its early.

I have no idea whether OSU would take two.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:59 pm

tired wrote:Anyone think Cardale Jones gets an offer ? I've read where he has grade issue's and is a Penn. St. lean.

Grades or ACTs?
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:21 pm

jb wrote:

Grades or ACTs?

ACT but we are talking about a junior grade. How common has it been that Juniors need to have a college qualifying ACT score?

The recruiting game is really moving faster and faster, this is something caught in between right now.

Not having a qualifying ACT at this point is not a huge point of concern IMO.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:16 am

JCoz wrote:
jb wrote:

Grades or ACTs?

ACT but we are talking about a junior grade. How common has it been that Juniors need to have a college qualifying ACT score?

The recruiting game is really moving faster and faster, this is something caught in between right now.

Can easliy be tutored up if he's not a dooshbag.

Were it bad grades at freaking Glenville? I'd have him pencilled in for Marshall.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:22 am

jb wrote:
JCoz wrote:
jb wrote:

Grades or ACTs?

Can easliy be tutored up if he's not a dooshbag.

Were it bad grades at freaking Glenville? I'd have him pencilled in for Marshall.

Marshall still has to compete with DickRod for those kids. Their potential address is just no longer in the same state.

They could have just turned West Virginia into one, big super-max penitentiary. Coax the Pac Mans and Chris Henry's to Morgantown or Huntingtown with a football scholarship and then shut the gates behind them. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:42 am

Cardale does NOT get an offer this year. Miller will commit to OSU on Thursday and that will end Jones' shot at an offer. The Bucks put all their eggs in the miller basket 2 years ago and are sticking with it. The team is really not interested in a second scholarship QB this year as Miller gives them the depth they need. I expect (barring a ridiculous season) that Pryor will come back for his senior season in 2011; he just isn't there yet as a passer and Kenny Guiton has really come on, to the point that I think there will be some very serious competition between him and Miller in 2012. Add Taylor Graham into the mix and you can see how crowded it really is.

The below average 2010 class has opened a lot of holes that need to be filled in this talent rich 2011 class, so I don't really think the Bucks even have the schollie to offer. There are needs in the defensive backfield at least 2 safeties and CBs (high bust rate), they could use 1-2 LBs (thinking ahead to 2013-2014), 2 TEs, 5+ OL (based on only getting 1 in 2010), they need 2+ DEs, 2DTs, and they still haven't found a returner (wynn?). Taking a second QB really doesn't make a lot of sense. Now that said, I am praying that Cardale Jones blows up and ends up at USC or Texas or some other major program outside of the B10. I really don't want to play a kid that is that talented (and scorned).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:29 pm

furls wrote:Cardale does NOT get an offer this year. Miller will commit to OSU on Thursday and that will end Jones' shot at an offer. The Bucks put all their eggs in the miller basket 2 years ago and are sticking with it. The team is really not interested in a second scholarship QB this year as Miller gives them the depth they need. I expect (barring a ridiculous season) that Pryor will come back for his senior season in 2011; he just isn't there yet as a passer and Kenny Guiton has really come on, to the point that I think there will be some very serious competition between him and Miller in 2012. Add Taylor Graham into the mix and you can see how crowded it really is.

The below average 2010 class has opened a lot of holes that need to be filled in this talent rich 2011 class, so I don't really think the Bucks even have the schollie to offer. There are needs in the defensive backfield at least 2 safeties and CBs (high bust rate), they could use 1-2 LBs (thinking ahead to 2013-2014), 2 TEs, 5+ OL (based on only getting 1 in 2010), they need 2+ DEs, 2DTs, and they still haven't found a returner (wynn?). Taking a second QB really doesn't make a lot of sense. Now that said, I am praying that Cardale Jones blows up and ends up at USC or Texas or some other major program outside of the B10. I really don't want to play a kid that is that talented (and scorned).

Strong words Furls.

I am not as convinced Cardale doesn't get the offer eventually. I think the chances of Pryor having a good enough season to convince himself (or dup himself) into thinking he's ready for the NFL is significant enough to have those chances at higher than 10%.

We'll learn alot in the month or two proceeding the Miller commit. The staff isn't going to string along a talented Ginn kid all season. If the word is indeed that one is enough for OSU, you'll see Cardale get alot more agressive with those other options.

But you are probably correct.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:45 pm

It will be a sweet day for Ohio State fans tomorrow. Braxton Miller will announce for OSU. Done deal.

I'm with Furls on the Cardale Jones thing. I just think there's no way the Bucks can spare a scholarship for him, regardless of grade issues.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:02 pm

Someone hook me up. I thought Miller was a top 5 player nationally. Is he just a top 5 QB? And why on Rivals list does it seem to be such a stinker year for QB's?

Any chance Miller is simply at the top of a marginal field and not really Big Man on Campus material?

Thanks in advance.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:49 pm

pup wrote:Someone hook me up. I thought Miller was a top 5 player nationally. Is he just a top 5 QB? And why on Rivals list does it seem to be such a stinker year for QB's?

Any chance Miller is simply at the top of a marginal field and not really Big Man on Campus material?

Thanks in advance.

He's ranked higher on both scout and espn. Much of that talk was based back from his freshman season.

Personally, watching you tube videos, I don't see a whole lot to excited about regarding his arm. But the kid has some very nice athletic ability. He could get an offer to play alot of positions with that athleticism.

It's tough for me to criticize the list of coaches knocking on his door....

Regarding the weak QB class, that's a pretty fair statement right now, but the lists and exact rankings aren't really worth much as this point.

You can't NOT be excited about getting a top 3 QB who EVERYONE wanted....

I mean, I've been paying attention to recruiting for about a decade now, and OSU does NOT get QB's like that often. With Pryor and Miller, those are by far the highest ranked QB's I've seen come to OSU, and I have a suspicion that that history goes back a ways.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Braxton Miller's arm better than Troy Smith's?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Braxton Miller's arm better than Troy Smith's?

Fuck no.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Miller is kind of a Pat White, if I had to compare him to someone. I think Jones is more of a Troy Smith (later career). Jones is more of a thrower with the athleticism to get free. All the rankings are bullshit. The only guys that are worth anything are the guys that follow the recruiting beat locally. Like JCoz said, most of the Miller hype comes from his freshman year. I really haven't seen any kind of passing game from him to get excited about.

FWIW, Troy Smith's arm was vastly underrated. That guy had a cannon. He had the fastest throw at the combine in 2007.

There are several things at play in early rankings. Generally, Rivals/Scout/ESPN rankings are based on team interest in a guy (who has offered him), whether or not he is committed (remember they are trying to sell premium subscriptions to people that are interested in recruiting rumors), camps and highlight films. Very little of their assessments/rankings come from any real tangible analysis. Highlight films show you exactly what you would expect, a guys best plays in which he is faster and stronger than everyone else, but what about the rest of the plays? Is he a high motor guy? Does he gamble to much? Is he a guy that runs East-West for losses and occassionally breaks the 72 yarder for the highlight film? How good is the competition?

Personally, I prefer Cardale Jones, but both are excellent players. Jones played very well against some of the top competition in the state. He was very impressive in the loss to Hilliard Davidson, if his receivers could catch perfectly thrown balls Glenville would have won its first state championship.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:23 pm

You guys rock.

Gracias
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:43 pm

It's official.....it's Miller Time at Ohio State.

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/974490.html

The only real "news" is that he will graduate and enroll early, so we'll see him next spring.

danwismar

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:17 pm

furls wrote: There are several things at play in early rankings. Generally, Rivals/Scout/ESPN rankings are based on team interest in a guy (who has offered him), whether or not he is committed (remember they are trying to sell premium subscriptions to people that are interested in recruiting rumors), camps and highlight films. Very little of their assessments/rankings come from any real tangible analysis. Highlight films show you exactly what you would expect, a guys best plays in which he is faster and stronger than everyone else, but what about the rest of the plays? Is he a high motor guy? Does he gamble to much? Is he a guy that runs East-West for losses and occassionally breaks the 72 yarder for the highlight film? How good is the competition?

Mike - Can we add performances at the NUCs and other assorted camps and combines to the above? It seems these events often play a very large role for the perception/early ranking of kids going into their Sr. year, especially for those that are not out and out studs.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:58 pm

Also Pup, another thing to keep in mind is that various recruiting sites favor certain parts of the country. Rivals will tend to favor the South whereas Scout usually includes a lot of Midwest recruits into their top 100.

I saw something posted the other day where right now Rivals only has 1 5-star player rated that plays north of the mason-dixon line. Also, Rivals has 20 players from Florida alone in the top 100 whereas Texas and California combined only have like 22.

Just as a reference here's a link to the latest (April maybe?) Scout top 300
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... 88&yr=2011

And here's a link to the Rivals top 100
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruit ... /rank-2640
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby furls » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:41 pm

yep matt, i had the camps in there but I did neglect the elite combines with the inflated numbers. I wish I had a dollar for every profile I saw that said a HS sophomore/Jr. was running a 4.3 40. I guess these guys must slow down for the NFL combine 4 years later. SPARQ ratings are the new thing, interestingly enough OSU is a leader for the guy with the most ridiculous SPARQ ratings in the country right now, Doran Grant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiti ... id=4976437

FWIW, Brionte Dunn did very well, between him and Warren Ball the 2012 RB class in Ohio is RIDICULOUS. Both project to be Beanie Wells-like prospects. I am indifferent right now, as long as the Bucks get one of the two I will be happy (and the other does not go to scUM). I would take either of them as upcoming Juniors over any back in the 2009, 2010, or 2011 classes in Ohio.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Grant and Ball are looking like VERY strong OSU leans.

I would be pretty shocked if Grant went elsewhere. Many people think Grant is the best in the state.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:08 pm

Grant is by far the best athlete in the state. I like Michael Bennett a little better just because of the effect of dominant D-Linemen and the higher bust rate on DBs. Don't get me wrong, Grant definitely could be the next Gamble/Jenkins lockdown CB, and those guys can have a serious effect on a game, but dominant D-linemen can just take over games (Suh, or the Gators in 06, etc.). I really think this 11 class is going to be something special. I loved the 08 class, I thought the 09 class was a solid sequel, but the 11 class is lining up to be extraordinary. FWIW, don't count on it being #1 (or even top 5) because it is chocked full of OH players and they don't tend to be ranked as high.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:25 pm

furls wrote:Grant is by far the best athlete in the state. I like Michael Bennett a little better just because of the effect of dominant D-Linemen and the higher bust rate on DBs. Don't get me wrong, Grant definitely could be the next Gamble/Jenkins lockdown CB, and those guys can have a serious effect on a game, but dominant D-linemen can just take over games (Suh, or the Gators in 06, etc.). I really think this 11 class is going to be something special. I loved the 08 class, I thought the 09 class was a solid sequel, but the 11 class is lining up to be extraordinary. FWIW, don't count on it being #1 (or even top 5) because it is chocked full of OH players and they don't tend to be ranked as high.

I agree Furls, and really, I liked last years class alot more than most people.

But its all about the Beef this year, and that is why its really got me hyped as well. I am excited about Bennett as well. The Dline class is just superb, like nothing I've seen in one class in the last decade, at least for the buckeyes.

And they took the oline seriously this year. Hopefully we land Mangrino and/or Walker, although its light on Tackles.

I still think its got a shot at top 5, because these players have an awful lot of time to show their worth, and if they are as good as we think, the cream will rise to the top, and the ratings may look pretty good.

If they have good seasons, then Bennett, Grant, and Miller will be 5* players, and S Miller along with a few others have a good shot a sneaking into the top 100 (I really only use rivals, even with the slight SE bias, I feel they do the best job overall.

Either way, no chance that I'll feel worse about this class based on rankings.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Miller and Hayes are excellent players and they are not getting the play they should because they committed so early.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:03 pm

furls wrote:Miller and Hayes are excellent players and they are not getting the play they should because they committed so early.

I agree, but a string senior year/all star game performance can change that
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:07 am

It won't change the fact that they are committed. Committed kids just aren't that interesting to the services because people don't buy premium subscriptions to see how Miller and Hayes' senior years are going. They buy them to figure out what hat Latwan Anderson will pick up at the Under Armour game and to keep up with the latest rumors and drama. It is not in Rivals' best interest to start pushing long and solidly committed kids up the rankings, if anything the opposite is true; Rivals, scout and ESPN tend to forget about kids that are committed regardless of their performance.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:02 am

furls wrote:It won't change the fact that they are committed. Committed kids just aren't that interesting to the services because people don't buy premium subscriptions to see how Miller and Hayes' senior years are going. They buy them to figure out what hat Latwan Anderson will pick up at the Under Armour game and to keep up with the latest rumors and drama. It is not in Rivals' best interest to start pushing long and solidly committed kids up the rankings, if anything the opposite is true; Rivals, scout and ESPN tend to forget about kids that are committed regardless of their performance.

Furls,

Believe me, I know the trends, I've been paying attention long enough.

Take a Mike Adams for example, went from the bottom of the 100 to #3 in the country after the AA Game, he'd been committed for many months.

Rose also shot up like that.

I'm not one who pines over those lists, I've got no issues pointing out their conflicting interests in the matter.

That said, IMO, you are overselling those points. They are factors, not laws of science. While you see those things play out to some degree, it's not nearly as slap-you-in-the-face as you are alluding to.

I mean think about those uncommitted recruits. Some of those are guys without the offers they are looking for, this before their senior season starts. Many players mature and continue to progress all the way through their senior years in high school.

Kids are getting better/hitting plateaus throughout this year. As football recruiting speeds up year after year, schools and recruiting services are tasked with estimating a kids trajectory at earlier points in their HS career, which IMO leaves an awful lot of wiggle room for a kid to take the next step....or not take that next step.

Look at Braxton for example. So much of his ranking is projection that I could see him in the top ten before the season ends, and I could also see him not in the top 100. Has nothing to do with him being committed or not committed.

So while I agree with ALL your points on the things that play into those rankings, there are also factors playing into this that have absolutely nothing to do with recruiting service business models.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:33 pm

Yeah, I wasn't being 100% serious there; there was some tongue in cheek, but that really does not come across well in type (I am a pretty sarcastic guy). In general, guys who are solidly committed generally don't fly up the rankings unless they blow up. Miller definitely could blow up to a #1 overall if he puts up some great passing stats. That is what is holding him down. For the other Miller (and Hayes) they need some gaudy sack numbers themselves to get any real legs. Otherwise, they will stay underrated.

The timetables on recruits has moved up to the point where now they are trying to project the impact that 15 year old wunderkind will have on a college team 6 years later. Pretty ridiculous and there will definitely be some guys that get missed.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Just a heads-up, the Wayne-Centerville game will be on ESPNU tomorrow night at 7...here's your chance to see Braxton Miller in action.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:39 pm

and Michael Bennett
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 pm

I know Braxton was hurt early on but how has Wayne and he faired since his return?

I haven't looked either but I would assume playoffs is no lock with their early season struggles?
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:43 pm

Second hand info from the OSU message boards....Braxton threw 2 TD's last week and ran for a 60-yard TD, so his ankle is apparently better. I'm told HH Wayne needs the win tonight if they are to have any shot at the playoffs. Not sure what Centerville's playoff scenario is.

danwismar

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Here's a rundown of the game from ESPN. Looks like the Elks were undefeated until a double overtime loss last week to Clayton Northmont.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiti ... id=5683957
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Return to College Sports Arena