Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

(500) Days of Summer

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

(500) Days of Summer

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 30, 2010 9:49 pm

Anyone see this? Roped into seeing it with the wife tonight, kicking and screaming ... and I was seriously caught off guard. First time director, no name cast, chick flick type plot - and I gotta say, this was one helluva movie with superb writing, directing, and acting.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: (500) Days of Summer

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun May 30, 2010 10:00 pm

Yeah, I dug it a lot. I think Joseph Gordon Levitt is one of the best actors going today.

And Zooey Deschanel...hell...if you aren't at least a little bit in love with Zooey Deschanel I don't know what to tell you.

Good flick.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cease » Sun May 30, 2010 10:38 pm

This film has been out for a while, so I'll assume spoilers are OK...

I rented this a while back as the "other" flick from the video store (aka- wife's pick).

It was pure buttered popcorn up until the end when the chick stone cold stuffs the young lad and leaves him crushed. It's a twist seldom used in movies, so (500) gets credit for that.

I don't think it should have been packaged as a chick-flick (as it was) and I wish it would have gone darker. The characters were too likable for that kind of switch 75 minutes in. If you are going to pull that move, you've got to show her side more- not just his. Otherwise, it's just a "boy loses girl" and meaningless beyond his commonly known "other fish" lesson.

I do remember it, so that says something, but I wasn't overly impressed.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon May 31, 2010 12:24 am

That whole scene where Joseph Gorden Levitt is dancing through the streets is classic. When he looked in the mirror of the car window and saw a Hans Solo I was cracking up.

Overall, good movie and good young cast. I enjoyed how they told the story out of sequence and yet still made it a seamless story. Anyone who hard a hard time dealing with a break up can relate to this film.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby waborat » Mon May 31, 2010 9:10 am

I felt it shoulda ended after the meeting in the park...

Much more realistic...

The "happy ending" (no, not THAT kind) with Autumn was too gift-wrapped...

Loved the Sid & Nancy, Boss Cat & Ringo references...

Hated The Smith's (now I sound like CDT)
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon May 31, 2010 10:01 am

waborat wrote:I felt it shoulda ended after the meeting in the park...

Much more realistic...

The "happy ending" (no, not THAT kind) with Autumn was too gift-wrapped...

I respectfully disagree. I liked the Autumn ending because it showed he moved onto another person. It also showed his growth as an individual since instead of dicking around for a couple weeks trying to get somewhere, he comes right out and asks her out. I could related to the ending as it shows how relationships moved in phases until you find that perfect girl.

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby waborat » Mon May 31, 2010 10:48 am

jack_tors wrote:until you find that perfect girl.

Unfortunately, a high percentage of Americans will never find and/or have this fairy tale ending ;-) ;) :wink:

I understand why the writer did it, but I enjoyed how it was kind of a dark comedy and it made more sense to have it end un-Hollywood-like for a change, IMO

Overall, like Swerb said, I went into this flick thinking I would need to have nail polish on to enjoy and came away liking it more than my wife did...In fact, she called it gay :bag:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:26 pm

This movie was the apex of the MPDG stock character. All other films of this type will fail to live up to its standard. It's hard to imagine a more perfect actress to portray this archetype than Zooey.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/my-year- ... bat,15577/
Then again, Sarandon's character is the very embodiment of gritty neo-realism compared to Kirsten Dunst's stewardess/love interest. Dunst embodies a character type I like to call The Manic Pixie Dream Girl (see Natalie Portman in Garden State for another prime example). The Manic Pixie Dream Girl exists solely in the fevered imaginations of sensitive writer-directors to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries and adventures. The Manic Pixie Dream Girl is an all-or-nothing-proposition. Audiences either want to marry her instantly (despite The Manic Pixie Dream Girl being, you know, a fictional character) or they want to commit grievous bodily harm against them and their immediate family. As for me, well, let's just say I'm not going to propose to Dunst's psychotically chipper waitress in the sky any time soon.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:43 pm

waborat wrote:
jack_tors wrote:until you find that perfect girl.

Unfortunately, a high percentage of Americans will never find and/or have this fairy tale ending ;-) ;) :wink:

Thats a good point, Waborat. Perhaps I didnt consider my luck not extending to all folks. Guess I related to the film since I too was stuck in that rut before meeting my wife.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture