Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Memorial day weekend

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Memorial day weekend

Unread postby 216 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:01 am

This Memorial day weekend please remember those that payed the ultimate price.
They are the reason for this holiday. Being active myself and having a brother who
just returned from Iraq. Its a day near and dear to me.

Ok now I am off my soap box...

What are everyone's plans? This is my first Memorial day weekend back in Cleveland in about 10 years.

Plenty things are going on this weekend but the three that caught my eye are

Hellenic Fest(Annunciation Church Tremont) Wife and I both love Greek food.
Great American Rib Coof Off (Tower City Ampitheater)
Berea Rib Cook off (Berea Fairgrounds)

Not sure I will be able to make all three,
Anyone have any suggestions/experience GOOD or BAD about any of the three events?
Be safe :cheers:

Re: Memorial day weekend

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri May 28, 2010 9:40 am

On call for work this weekend, so I've got to stay pretty close. It's also the first weekend in a while that the wife and I don't have any real plans, so I'll probably get some odds/ends done around the house.

Thanks for your service also. Hope you enjoy the weekend. :cheers:
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 am

will be on the TV, I know that.

I think it's my dad secular religious holiday or something, being that's he from the area. Can't wait for some ribs too.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Ziner » Fri May 28, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks for the service 216. :salute:

I think we are actually going to check out the Denver Zoo. Haven't been to a zoo in a decade at least. Then on monday I will be participating in the 2nd biggest race in the country. 53,000 strong for a 10K.

(edit: I was under the understanding it was 2nd, wiki says biggest where everyone is timed, 5th biggest overall, just wanted to be factually correct)

Then following that up some grilling, cornhole and boozing in a park with friends.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 28, 2010 12:15 pm

Party with a few guys from my hockey team on Sunday. Running some errands and getting shit together for my trip to Detroit/Windsor Tuesday-Thursday.

Thanks for your and your brother's service. It's much appreciated!
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby mswerb » Fri May 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Mine and my brother's birthday have always been around Memorial Day weekend, so I'm sure some kind of partying will take place. As the unofficial kickoff to summer, much time will be spent outdoors with the great weather predicted for us.
Let's all remember the true meaning of the weekend, fly Old Glory with pride.
:cheers:
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 28, 2010 4:03 pm

Sat - Blossom time festival with the family. Sunday - running in my first race ever, the Blossom time run in Chagrin. Monday - work half a day, come home and hang out in the backyard and play baseball, grill meat, and drink beer.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby dem425 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:47 pm

"ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL"

Thanks 216, your brother and all who have put their lives on the line for us.......

I'm hoping to grill out w/daughter and son-in-law and AVOID posting anymore molotav cocktails,...........
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri May 28, 2010 11:47 pm

When did Memorial Day become a holiday about cooking out?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Spin » Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 am

216 we cannot begin to thank you for your service enough. You are a true hero in my book, and my fellow firefighters.

Triple-S wrote:Image

will be on the TV, I know that.

I think it's my dad secular religious holiday or something, being that's he from the area. Can't wait for some ribs too.

+1+1+1 I've been looking forward to this race more than I have the last 17 years. The sport is finally headed in the right direction, the future looks bright.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat May 29, 2010 12:53 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:When did Memorial Day become a holiday about cooking out?

When it became the "unofficial start of summer" and people decided it was time to cookout.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat May 29, 2010 5:42 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:When did Memorial Day become a holiday about cooking out?

When it became the "unofficial start of summer" and people decided it was time to cookout.

Only in America.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sun May 30, 2010 2:15 am

Saving Private Ryan on blu-ray.

Hell yeah :salute:
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon May 31, 2010 7:26 pm

On Thursday I rode my bike to DC. About 400 miles

On Friday morning, I rode with a group of about 60 to Bethesda Naval Hospital where we were greeted by a 2 Star Admiral and his cadre of colonels.

After a parade around the grounds honking horns and cracking pipes, I was on a list of 8 permitted to go up and visit some troops, in this case, 5 young Marines

One was in for follow-up, one for an ankle wound, another with neck and arm injuries. A South Carolinian Gunny with severe leg wounds. Then a triple amputee, stood watch over by a 6'5" 240 lb Guardian Angel who comes from PA every week to visit his pal.

...and it would be impossible to find a finer group of human beings than those who tend to our troops.

Went to the Vietnam Wall on Saturday at 7 AM and etched the names of the 39 men KIA from Erie County PA, headlined by Ronald Martin, KIA in the Ia Drang Valley at LZ Albany with 220 of his brothers and the name of the VFW to which I belong.

Up at 5 on Sunday and in the Pentagon parking lot at 6, then a leisurely day of hanging around, looking at bikes, talking with friends..... and blowing a joint or two in the Job Johnnies

A B-52 flyover at about 500' starts The Run to the Wall @ noon, ride across the Memorial Bridge, make the turns, salute The Gunny, then crack a couple gears down Constitution Ave for all the peeps who come to watch

Make the turn in front of the Capitol Building, flip the bird.....

All the while tooting to old Vets and getting nods of appreciation for noticing them.

Hop on the GW and pound asphalt at 90 per and home in Erie by 8 PM last night

Just finished cooking for the fam and hugiing my grandkids...

It just don't get much better on a Memorial weekend

Props to you 216 and a big Welcome Home! to your brother. God bless you both.

:cheers:
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 31, 2010 9:28 pm

Well..... My weekend was nearly as productive as FMBs. But yesterday we went to Greenlawn Cemetery and laid some wreaths and flags at my dad's (USMC 2 tours Vietnam) grave and his brother's (USMC KIA Khe Sanh March 17th 1968). Today we went to a service at the Hilliard War Memorial listened to a alot of Vets from WWII all they way up to Iraq and Afghanistan talk about their experiences. Personally I think it should be mandatory for the whole city to appear at the event.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:37 am

Yesterday we attended the Medina City parade which ended with a ceremony at Spring Grove Cemetary. There was the playing of the National Anthem, the reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance, presentation and laying of wreaths, a high school senior reciting the Gettysburg Address, a 21 gun salute and the playing of Taps. The most memorable part of the day was when my son gave his little "high five" as a way of saying Thank you to one of the veterans who was standing next to us during the ceremony. This gentleman was touched by this gesture and spent the next few mintues talking with me and playing with our son. You could see how much a gesture means for these men who gave so uch so that we can continue with our way of life.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture