Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

"Who are the Cavs?"

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

"Who are the Cavs?"

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue May 25, 2010 10:46 pm

Eric Cassano has an interesting (to me, anyway) piece up on the home page entitled, "Who are the Cavs?" Here's the part about what style of play he wants to see next year, LeBron or no LeBron:

"The Cavs are, at their heart, a running team.

If the Cavs do end up firing Brown, they need to hire a coach who will nuture this team's true DNA, which was starkly absent in the playoffs when the team played slow, passive basketball.

The Cavs are a running team. They are an offensively-gifted team. It's time to stop pretending that they are anything else. They are not a lockdown defensive team. They are not a grind-it-out halfcourt team. They are an uptempo team that should be focusing on small lineups, increasing possession volume, increasing shot volume and viewing turnovers as a necessary evil -- forgivable as long as you keep pushing the ball and finding open shots.

For much of this season, Brown and Shaq combined to turn the Cavs into a slow-down team. When Shaq injured his thumb and spry youngster J.J. Hickson moved into the starting center spot, the Cavs had their hottest streak of the season.

It's not a coincidence. Over the past two seasons, the Cavs have always been at their best when they trotted out small, fast lineups that could run and score. When you looked up and down the lineup at athletes like LeBron, Hickson, Williams, Delonte West and Anderson Varejao, it was easy to see why. The Cavs' best players have been fast, active players. LeBron is the best fast break player in the league by a wide margin.

But the loss to Orlando in the '09 Eastern Conference Finals occurred, and the Cavs' brass decided the best course of action was to get bigger and stronger. Shaq fits the Cavs' makeup like an army boot fits Cinderella. Anthony Parker was reduced to a spot-up jump shooter, far from the dynamic role he had with the Raptors. Zydrunas Ilgauskas looked out of place as a starter in '09, and completely unfit for the floor as a reserve in the just-completed season.

If the last two seasons teach nothing else, it's that you shouldn't make moves just to match up with one team. A good team like the Cavs has an identity, and that identity is created by the makeup of the team. And the Cavs are a fast break team."

I agree. In fact, if Z and/or Shaq don't return next year, the Cavs will be forced to be a running team unless a big, physical, starting caliber center is acquired, and I don't see how that's possible given their salary cap situation. Maybe if LeBron leaves they'll have the money to bring in a thumper, but I don't see how that makes them better.

Anybody strongly agree or disagree with the notion that the Cavs should concentrate on being a running team?
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Re: "Who are the Cavs?"

Unread postby TBigz » Tue May 25, 2010 11:37 pm

Thats Eric Cassano's opinion. The last time I checked he is not a professional NBA coach.
TBigz

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Ben Rothlisberger

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 26, 2010 2:11 am

TBigz wrote:Thats Eric Cassano's opinion. The last time I checked he is not a professional NBA coach.

Wow. Great addition. Thanks for the input.
Hey Swerb, lets just shut down this whole website, because none of us are professional coaches, hence, have no right to post our opinions. Pretty much puts all such websites out of business. Shame... I kinda enjoyed interacting with you guys... Though I now have no valid points to make, not being a professional coach, that is.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby waborat » Wed May 26, 2010 6:43 am

Besides, ask Peeks & LP...

Professional Idiots > Professional Coaches
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 8:11 am

OldDawg wrote:
TBigz wrote:Thats Eric Cassano's opinion. The last time I checked he is not a professional NBA coach.

Wow. Great addition. Thanks for the input.
Hey Swerb, lets just shut down this whole website, because none of us are professional coaches, hence, have no right to post our opinions. Pretty much puts all such websites out of business. Shame... I kinda enjoyed interacting with you guys... Though I now have no valid points to make, not being a professional coach, that is.

Well Id rather hear the opinion of a head coach thats on espn or something or a former player.. Like JVG, Avery, Magic, C. Webb.
TBigz

Unread postby papacass » Wed May 26, 2010 8:44 am

TBigz wrote:Well Id rather hear the opinion of a head coach thats on espn or something or a former player.. Like JVG, Avery, Magic, C. Webb.

Then why are you even here? Go watch/read ESPN if those are the opinions you want.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 8:47 am

::doh:: The list I just gave you hasn't said what type of basketball style the Cavs played or should play in the near future. So even if I went to ESPN I wouldn't find that information.
Last edited by TBigz on Wed May 26, 2010 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
TBigz

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 8:48 am

waborat wrote:Besides, ask Peeks & LP...

Professional Idiots > Professional Coaches

Hah, many lulz were gained ^^
TBigz

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:10 am

Where is e0 when we need him?
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:10 am

I may email this well thought out nugget of insight to Lee, just to imagine his head exploding yet again.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby papacass » Wed May 26, 2010 10:37 am

TBigz wrote:::doh:: The list I just gave you hasn't said what type of basketball style the Cavs played or should play in the near future. So even if I went to ESPN I wouldn't find that information.

But apparently finding those opinions here isn't good enough because we're not qualified to express said opinions. So I guess you're SOL then.

Either that, or you just disagree with the opinion I stated, and your way of disagreeing with it is to say I'm not qualified to express it.

I'll see your ::doh:: and raise you a :bunny:
papacass

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed May 26, 2010 10:49 am

TBigz wrote:::doh:: The list I just gave you hasn't said what type of basketball style the Cavs played or should play in the near future. So even if I went to ESPN I wouldn't find that information.

Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:

Guy needs to the Schrute shun as well.

Effin' A, WTF is going on here lately? Tools, humps and idiots every single GD thread. It is fertilizer season here on the Northcoast. Think some of these short busers ate it in the hopes they'd get bigger and smarter?

It's all I got right now.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Wed May 26, 2010 1:55 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:

Effin' A, WTF is going on here lately? Tools, humps and idiots every single GD thread. It is fertilizer season here on the Northcoast. Think some of these short busers ate it in the hopes they'd get bigger and smarter?

I know. It's just that time of year. In sports in general. Nothing going on. But it has been bad. I can hardly find more than one thread daily to comment in right now.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 2:33 pm

papacass wrote:

But apparently finding those opinions here isn't good enough because we're not qualified to express said opinions. So I guess you're SOL then.

Either that, or you just disagree with the opinion I stated, and your way of disagreeing with it is to say I'm not qualified to express it.

I'll see your ::doh:: and raise you a :bunny:

I never said you were not qualified to express It. I just don't think Eric Cassano is such a great 'source'. People here are having attitude problems over me stating the obvious. I also disagree with Eric Cassano and I bet there are plenty of professionals in the basketball industry that would also disagree. I see the Cavaliers as a half-court team. Cavaliers are ripe for the triangle offense.
TBigz

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 2:36 pm

JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:

I know. It's just that time of year. In sports in general. Nothing going on. But it has been bad. I can hardly find more than one thread daily to comment in right now.

Exactly, I state the obvious and everyone else goes fucking bonkers.
TBigz

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed May 26, 2010 2:42 pm

TBigz wrote:
Exactly, I state the obvious and everyone else goes fucking bonkers.

Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Ziner » Wed May 26, 2010 2:58 pm

TBigz wrote:
I never said you were not qualified to express It. I just don't think Eric Cassano is such a great 'source'. People here are having attitude problems over me stating the obvious. I also disagree with Eric Cassano and I bet there are plenty of professionals in the basketball industry that would also disagree. I see the Cavaliers as a half-court team. Cavaliers are ripe for the triangle offense.

You should stick to the NFL forums where you are a expert... you know with that state championship you won in high school and all.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed May 26, 2010 3:07 pm

I think today has sucked the life right out of me. Maybe it's time I step away from the computer screen and take a hiatus from the Cavs side of the boards for a while. Maybe after a few weeks I'll find that I'll be able to see better, food will taste better, the flowers will smell nicer.

Maybe I'll go lurk in Golf forum. It'll be me in there, alone in my thoughts.

Breathe in........breathe out.....
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby JCoz » Wed May 26, 2010 3:46 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:I think today has sucked the life right out of me. Maybe it's time I step away from the computer screen and take a hiatus from the Cavs side of the boards for a while. Maybe after a few weeks I'll find that I'll be able to see better, food will taste better, the flowers will smell nicer.

Maybe I'll go lurk in Golf forum. It'll be me in there, alone in my thoughts.

Breathe in........breathe out.....

There is a golf forum?
JCoz

Unread postby diminishingskills » Wed May 26, 2010 4:08 pm

TBigz wrote:I never said you were not qualified to express It. I just don't think Eric Cassano is such a great 'source'. People here are having attitude problems over me stating the obvious. I also disagree with Eric Cassano and I bet there are plenty of professionals in the basketball industry that would also disagree. I see the Cavaliers as a half-court team. Cavaliers are ripe for the triangle offense.

There is no "source" of news here.

What you are quoting from is an opinion piece. A view of a writer (one of this site's regular writers). Nothing more, nothing less. If you agree with the opinion, terrific. If you disagree with the opinion, also terrific. That is what opinion pieces are designed to do: get you to think and (possibly) respond. They are fundamentally different from factual stories. It is the difference between the front page and the op-ed page of the newspaper.

The "attitude" problems you reference have nothing to do with you "stating the obvious". The people who are deriding you are doing so because you have thus far proven incapable of making the rather simple distinction between factual pieces and opinion pieces.

If you have a response other than "got it, thanks", don't bother. I cannot make it any simpler than I already have, and won't spend time trying to.
If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Unread postby papacass » Wed May 26, 2010 5:15 pm

DiminishingSkills wrote:
TBigz wrote:I never said you were not qualified to express It. I just don't think Eric Cassano is such a great 'source'. People here are having attitude problems over me stating the obvious. I also disagree with Eric Cassano and I bet there are plenty of professionals in the basketball industry that would also disagree. I see the Cavaliers as a half-court team. Cavaliers are ripe for the triangle offense.

What you are quoting from is an opinion piece. A view of a writer (one of this site's regular writers). Nothing more, nothing less. If you agree with the opinion, terrific. If you disagree with the opinion, also terrific. That is what opinion pieces are designed to do: get you to think and (possibly) respond. They are fundamentally different from factual stories. It is the difference between the front page and the op-ed page of the newspaper.

The "attitude" problems you reference have nothing to do with you "stating the obvious". The people who are deriding you are doing so because you have thus far proven incapable of making the rather simple distinction between factual pieces and opinion pieces.

If you have a response other than "got it, thanks", don't bother. I cannot make it any simpler than I already have, and won't spend time trying to.

Make it easier on yourself. Instead of writing something well thought out and reasoned, just respond with a picture of Ralph Wiggum with a flute up his nose. It gets through to the offending poster on the same level, and it's much funnier.
papacass

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 6:47 pm

DiminishingSkills wrote:

I didn't know Eric Cassano is a writer for this website? I just assumed he was some sort of NBA analyst.
TBigz

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed May 26, 2010 7:09 pm

TBigz wrote:I didn't know Eric Cassano is a writer for this website? I just assumed he was some sort of NBA analyst.

I think its time for a little quality control in here.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 7:09 pm

Ziner wrote:
TBigz wrote:

You should stick to the NFL forums where you are a expert... you know with that state championship you won in high school and all.

At least I won one how about you?
TBigz

Unread postby JCoz » Wed May 26, 2010 7:10 pm

TBigz wrote:
DiminishingSkills wrote:

I didn't know Eric Cassano is a writer for this website? I just assumed he was some sort of NBA analyst.

Comedic gold.
JCoz

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 7:11 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
TBigz wrote:I didn't know Eric Cassano is a writer for this website? I just assumed he was some sort of NBA analyst.

I think its time for a little quality control in here.

I was being a 100% honest with everyone. I truly did assume he was a NBA analyst for some network. I hardly ever read the home page, I usually just skip to the boards.
TBigz

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed May 26, 2010 7:12 pm

TBigz wrote:At least I won one how about you?

I won five Super Bowls, three World Series, an MVP, and banged Lindsey Lohan when she was sober.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 7:13 pm

JCoz wrote:
TBigz wrote:
DiminishingSkills wrote:

Comedic gold.

Kick a person while he is down.
TBigz

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 7:14 pm

I won five Super Bowls, three World Series, an MVP, and banged Lindsey Lohan when she was sober.

Are you trying to discredit my achievement with sarcasm?

*2008 Sylvania Southview Cougars D-II (Northern Lakes League in North West Ohio) state champs It was aired on STO..
TBigz

Unread postby JCoz » Wed May 26, 2010 7:22 pm

TBigz wrote:

*2008 Sylvania Southview Cougars D-II (Northern Lakes League in North West Ohio) state champs It was aired on STO..

This thread just got awesome.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Wed May 26, 2010 7:24 pm

TBigz wrote:Are you trying to discredit my achievement with sarcasm?

JCoz

Unread postby jack_tors » Wed May 26, 2010 7:34 pm

TBigz wrote:

You were on STO? So you are like famous and shit? Awesome, can we get this guy on the banner?

I met Michael Stanley once, he even shook my hand. Makes me half as cool.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby waborat » Wed May 26, 2010 7:45 pm

TBigz wrote:
papacass wrote:

I never said you were not qualified to express It. I just don't think Eric Cassano is such a great 'source'.

^^^This is one of THE most classic things I've read here in 4 years...

I too, am just flabbergasted to find out there are no sources of any kind on this site and everything is just opinions...

Next you guys are gonna tell me that Mansfield Lucas is just a pseudonym

:gah:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Ziner » Wed May 26, 2010 8:00 pm

TBigz wrote:

Holy Crap, I didnt know you meant a D-II State Champ that was aired on STO, I completely apologize. Were you 1st team N.L.L. as well? That would really impress me.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Wed May 26, 2010 8:01 pm

JCoz wrote:This thread just got awesome.

Yup
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed May 26, 2010 8:03 pm

Forget all this other crap, your take was weak. You forgot to offer why you thought his opinion wasn't any good, other then he isn't a coach. That is a horrible take. What about GM's, scouts, and even paid professional writers. These people can and do have opinions, and many times they are right.

The attack started as it should have, and if you had instead backed up your take that we are a halfcourt team, and why we are, you may have had a leg to stand on..

Funny you wanted imagination with the Bobby K. thread, but here not so much for the writers opinion...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby JCoz » Wed May 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Orenthal wrote:Forget all this other crap, your take was weak. You forgot to offer why you thought his opinion wasn't any good, other then he isn't a coach. That is a horrible take. What about GM's, scouts, and even paid professional writers. These people can and do have opinions, and many times they are right.

The attack started as it should have, and if you had instead backed up your take that we are a halfcourt team, and why we are, you may have had a leg to stand on..

Funny you wanted imagination with the Bobby K. thread, but here not so much for the writers opinion...

Damn it OJ, take your hands off the goddamn wheel. This thread is filling up with epic win as we speak.

A few more contributions from our new friend Mr. Bigz and this thread will be in the library by weeks end.

We're in good hands here.

JCoz

Unread postby Ziner » Wed May 26, 2010 8:13 pm

By the way TLittlz, how do we even know you were on the team. I kinda pegged you as a Tuba player with the knowledge you have displayed thus far. I bet your parents were proud when you dotted the I in Southview.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed May 26, 2010 8:13 pm

There is no doubt coz that this is train wreck funny, just threw that out there as a lifeline. However after posting that I saw that Evan Turner is the next Kobe, and well...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:33 pm

I hit 24/25 free throws in the Eastlake Youth Basketball All-Star skills competition when I was 10 to take that down so I feel qualified to say that this thread is knockers all the way and that Cass's opinion piece does indeed lack Chad Ford-like analytical insight.

People will bitch about the 'State of the Boards'. But believe me boys, these are the salad days.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:38 pm

.....and banged Lindsey Lohan when she was sober.

Under age? Dude, that's just wrong. Congrats on the rings though. That makes up for it.

Signed,

Ben R.
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:43 pm

TBigz wrote: I also disagree with Eric Cassano and I bet there are plenty of professionals in the basketball industry that would also disagree. I see the Cavaliers as a half-court team. Cavaliers are ripe for the triangle offense.

Finally, it is refreshing to have an intelligent voice of basketball reason posting here.

I am a bit rusty on the nuances of the Traingle. Would you please break it down for me, explain why you feel our existing personnel would be a good fit and who you would like to coach it?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by mattvan1 on Thu May 27, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:44 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

.....and banged Lindsey Lohan when she was sober.

Under age? Dude, that's just wrong. Congrats on the rings though. That makes up for it.

Signed,

Ben R.

No doubt. She had to have been 9 when she was last clean and sober. Effin' perv.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed May 26, 2010 8:53 pm

This thread should be stickied/pinned/archived for anyone who thinks there should be comment threads directly below the articles themselves.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby JCoz » Wed May 26, 2010 8:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:I hit 24/25 free throws in the Eastlake Youth Basketball All-Star skills competition when I was 10 to take that down so I feel qualified to say that this thread is knockers all the way and that Cass's opinion piece does indeed lack Chad Ford-like analytical insight.

People will bitch about the 'State of the Boards'. But believe me boys, these are the salad days.

Indeed.

I worked from 7am-10pm yesterday, woke up at 2:30 this morning and worked from 3-5 today. But this is worth staying up a bit longer.

I can only hope that Mr. Bigz has the strength of character comparable to say.........my man Spin.
JCoz

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:This thread should be stickied/pinned/archived for anyone who thinks there should be comment threads directly below the articles themselves.

Couldn't agree more. Talk about cess pools.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed May 26, 2010 9:29 pm

TBigz wrote:

But do you have this achievement?

A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed May 26, 2010 9:35 pm

I was hoping the excerpt from Cassano's piece would spark some good, solid basketball discussion. It didn't. But it sure has been funny as hell. I guess that's something.

Or maybe everyone is still too depressed to talk about the Cavs for a while. Maybe somebody should start a Lindsey Lohan thread.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed May 26, 2010 9:57 pm

TBigz wrote:Are you trying to discredit my achievement with sarcasm?

Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Next

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA