Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

What if we lost to the best team?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

What if we lost to the best team?

Unread postby scott » Wed May 19, 2010 9:56 am

Pluto made a good point in his talk yesterday -

It is a good thing this decision is July 7th and not this week. We all know LeBron, between today and 7/7 he will change his mind more than once. The Cavs will look better a month from now.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: What if we lost to the best team?

Unread postby JCoz » Wed May 19, 2010 10:06 am

It still doesn't mean much, although I have to admit, though I have been to depressed about the Cavs to watch anymore playoff BBall just YET, hearing on the radio that Boston went up 2-0 put a surprising smile on my face. And in general a loathe boston sports, mostly on account of thier fans I have known in my experiences.

As far as losign to the best team, whatever. We are still losers in the end this year. 2-0 on Dewey and Ron Jeremy? I'm not gonna try and analyze exactly why that makes me happy. It just does.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby jb » Wed May 19, 2010 10:15 am

I don't care if the Bobcats took us out.

Doesn't change shit. Bron gone, franchise in disaaray.

"If yer not first, yer last." Never was Ricky Bobby so spot on as in this situation.

Then again, this is C-town, so it wouldn't shock me if the rest o the schmucks tried to hold a runner up parade, except I have too much respect for Gilbert that he'd allow that.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Wed May 19, 2010 10:18 am

Pluto's point was that LeBron might reconsider the state of the team if Boston ends up winning the championship. He suggested LeBron might feel the Cavs are closer than he thought to winning than a week ago and be more inclined to stay.

Either way, it is enjoyable watching Orlando fall on their faces.
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Unread postby JCoz » Wed May 19, 2010 10:25 am

RIBrownsFan wrote:Pluto's point was that LeBron might reconsider the state of the team if Boston ends up winning the championship. He suggested LeBron might feel the Cavs are closer than he thought to winning than a week ago and be more inclined to stay.

I can see this.

It makes sense, more sense to me than say, Windy's emotional indictment of the team the day after.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby jb » Wed May 19, 2010 10:28 am

RIBrownsFan wrote:Pluto's point was that LeBron might reconsider the state of the team if Boston ends up winning the championship. He suggested LeBron might feel the Cavs are closer than he thought to winning than a week ago and be more inclined to stay.

"Krusty is coming, Krusty is coming. He'll save us."
- Bart hallucinating at Kamp Krusty
jb

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Wed May 19, 2010 10:33 am

jb wrote:

Is it an unrealistic hope? Most likely. But it's no dumber than the "LeBron can never win a championship in Cleveland and this series proved it" idiocy that also has been beaten to death since the end of the series.
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed May 19, 2010 10:44 am

scott wrote:Pluto made a good point in his talk yesterday -

It is a good thing this decision is July 7th and not this week. We all know LeBron, between today and 7/7 he will change his mind more than once. The Cavs will look better a month from now.

I actually think it might do the opposite in Camp MeBron. Knowing you lost to the eventual champs doesn't sooth the wounds, makes you just question whether you could have gotten it done instead of them IMO.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby jb » Wed May 19, 2010 10:51 am

RIBrownsFan wrote:
jb wrote:

Is it an unrealistic hope? Most likely. But it's no dumber than the "LeBron can never win a championship in Cleveland and this series proved it" idiocy that also has been beaten to death since the end of the series.

I'm with you. You've read my takes.

I just think he's looking for a change of scenery & a bigger celebrity stage.
jb

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 am

jb wrote:

I'm with you. You've read my takes.

I just think he's looking for a change of scenery & a bigger celebrity stage.

I certainly agree, and I wish him nothing but happiness and 10 years of playoff elbow injuries as he leaves.

I'm just not surprised or bothered that Pluto had that idea. He's always had that "view sports through the prism of a hopeful 12 year old" thing going on...

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed May 19, 2010 2:26 pm

jb wrote:I don't care if the Bobcats took us out.

Doesn't change shit. Bron gone, franchise in disaaray.

"If yer not first, yer last." Never was Ricky Bobby so spot on as in this situation.

Then again, this is C-town, so it wouldn't shock me if the rest o the schmucks tried to hold a runner up parade, except I have too much respect for Gilbert that he'd allow that.

You forget the end of that movie:

Ricky Bobby: Wait, Dad. Don't you remember the time you told me "If you ain't first, you're last"?
Reese Bobby: Huh? What are you talking about, Son?
Ricky Bobby: That day at school.
Reese Bobby: Oh hell, Son, I was high that day. That doesn't make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth... hell you can even be fifth.
Ricky Bobby: What? I've lived my whole life by that!
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Spin » Wed May 19, 2010 2:54 pm

actually think it might do the opposite in Camp MeBron. Knowing you lost to the eventual champs doesn't sooth the wounds, makes you just question whether you could have gotten it done instead of them IMO.

But, Boston's window is just about closed. We saw that in the regular season. Ray Allen and Nate Washington are FA's. Paul Pierce has an 2010-11 option, and then a FA in 11-12. KG is 34 today. Sheed is 36 next season. How much do they have left in the tank? And they tie up $28 million of cap space through 2011-12. It's a house of cards.

They better win this year...

We knew Boston was going to be trouble, they were one of the top teams before injuries bit them last fall.

Orlando? Beatable. I don't see them winning 2 against Boston like we did. They're getting taken apart. Yeah Van Gundy took us apart last year, but a REAL coach is jobbing him at home right now. They're beatable.

Whether this has any bearing on LBJ resigning, I don't know. My fingers are crossed, but I see him in Chicago next year.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby FUDU » Wed May 19, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm still not convinced that Boston is the best team nor that we wouldn't have beat them with the real LeBron, remember we were up 2-1 on them.

Also my source recently informed me the FO is "optimistic" that LeBron will re-up, as opposed to very certain he wouldn't the night of and day after game 6.

"That and a quarter"......you know the rest.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby scott » Wed May 19, 2010 4:22 pm

fundamentals wrote:
scott wrote:Pluto made a good point in his talk yesterday -

I actually think it might do the opposite in Camp MeBron. Knowing you lost to the eventual champs doesn't sooth the wounds, makes you just question whether you could have gotten it done instead of them IMO.

Past is past. LeBron is in the mode of studying teams and picking his future, or he will be soon. Losing to the eventual champs - and possibly giving them the best fight - looks a hella lot better than losing to an old Celtics team that got blown out 1 round later by the Magic.

I know everyone was shocked at how quickly this season came to an end, but this team isn't that far away. Replace Shaq & Z with a couple younger big men who rebound and can play a little D. Find a coach who can put in a real offense here that takes advantage of the players available (and a voice that demands respect in the locker room). Why isn't this a title contender next year?

Huge part of all of this - Bron has been signing off on deals for years. Some of them were no doubt his idea. Does he feel any responsibility for that? The Cavs have bent over backwards to make this a partnership with their franchise player. Is the movie real - is he all about loyalty?
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby statmasta » Thu May 20, 2010 3:34 am

scott wrote:What if we lost to the best team?

Cavs should have been the best team this year.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby waborat » Thu May 20, 2010 6:42 am

statmasta wrote:
scott wrote:What if we lost to the best team?

Cavs should have been the best team this year.

Same thing
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby jb » Thu May 20, 2010 9:06 am

FUDU wrote:I'm still not convinced that Boston is the best team

Donny, the "best" team is always the one that wins the series. That's how they play the game.

Now don't make me go Scott Cantor on you.

(most obscure reference ever)
jb

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu May 20, 2010 11:52 am

"Best team" might be the Lakers, who all of a sudden look pretty doggone good.
Artest > Ariza Amare Stoudamire might want to shut up quickly. He plays none defense either.

Anyone see the dunk attempt by Mista Brown the other evening? :pop:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA