Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Brown Out Per SI

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Brown Out Per SI

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Chris Mannix via Twitter, citing two league sources.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Brown Out Per SI

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri May 14, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm 9% cheered up
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri May 14, 2010 1:26 pm

DAMMIT, just posted this in the Press Conference thread

Glory hog!
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:28 pm

If you hide it in a thread like that you just end up w/ four more threads. People here are too stupid to read.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Ziner » Fri May 14, 2010 1:31 pm

how long until SD starts his own thread analyzing it?

He had to go, no surprise.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Ziner » Fri May 14, 2010 1:32 pm

btw, did Windy take a vacation or get hired by the Chicago Trib last night? His twitter has been silent. Amazing especially with this breaking.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri May 14, 2010 1:33 pm

My question is what happens with the rest of the staff? Do they let everyone go, paving a way for Jent to go wherever James goes, be it not in Cleveland? Or do they let them/some hang around until they decide what direction they plan on taking?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Ziner » Fri May 14, 2010 1:36 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:My question is what happens with the rest of the staff? Do they let everyone go, paving a way for Jent to go wherever James goes, be it not in Cleveland? Or do they let them/some hang around until they decide what direction they plan on taking?

I keep them intact for now. No reason to fire them yet. Wait to see what LBJ is going to do. If he doesn't just hire Malone, Gilbert is goign to have to go in to cash saving mode anyway for a while. If LBJ is going to leave it doesn't really matter who coaches this team, it is going to matter what the GM does to rebuild.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri May 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Here's Windy

PDcavsinsider This is not true. As of this moment, at least RT @ChrisMannixSI 2 league sources say the Cavs will announce that Mike Brown has been fired
5 minutes ago via web
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 14, 2010 1:43 pm

Good riddance. Dumb ass.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby DrPoove » Fri May 14, 2010 1:51 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:If you hide it in a thread like that you just end up w/ four more threads. People here are too stupid to read.

Sadly... this is accurate.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby Shadow Scars » Fri May 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Finally a predictable development. There haven't been many of those the past week. This has been enough to make me nearly start :hic: again and (smoke) again. :fu: you curse.
Shadow Scars

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby SDM » Fri May 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Good thing Woodson just became available.
SDM

Favorite Player: Delonte West
Least Favorite Player: Bruce Lee Bowen

Unread postby CP » Fri May 14, 2010 1:52 pm

Perhaps I'm crazy but I think Jeff Van Gundy is the best available candidate (assuming Phil Jackson is not, in fact, available).
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby Shadow Scars » Fri May 14, 2010 1:54 pm

CP wrote:Perhaps I'm crazy but I think Jeff Van Gundy is the best available candidate (assuming Phil Jackson is not, in fact, available).

Son of a McRib bite your lip! It's bad enough listening to that guy in May. I can't imagine listening to him all season.
Shadow Scars

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby Ziner » Fri May 14, 2010 1:54 pm

CP wrote:Perhaps I'm crazy but I think Jeff Van Gundy is the best available candidate (assuming Phil Jackson is not, in fact, available).

IF Lebron stays he will pick the coach, that is how his "team" will play it. I cant see how in the world he would pick JVG. I think he would be a good candidate, but I doubt Lebron views him as such.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jordan kramer » Fri May 14, 2010 2:01 pm

4 years too late
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Tree » Fri May 14, 2010 2:10 pm

Couple years too late some say? Or is it? I think Brown still had some support last year and even this year, but that gradually eroded. I was never a big fan of his, but did like the fact he preached defense. When the Cavs defense evaporated for whatever reasons, I think he had essentially lost the team.

Captain Obvious says so.
Tree

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri May 14, 2010 2:12 pm

I wonder what Silas is up to? :hide:
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri May 14, 2010 2:15 pm

I would be pleased to watch JVG run down the sideline and bite the ankle of his brother, would be tremendous.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri May 14, 2010 2:18 pm

fundamentals wrote:

I would be pleased to watch JVG run down the sideline and bite the ankle of his brother, would be tremendous.

where is that video of him from the late 90's of him grabbing onto Larry Johnson's ankle?

I actually do like Van Gundy, I think as a color guy he's a terrible fit, but he's pretty damn knowledgeable about the game.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Lubber » Fri May 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Triple-S wrote:
fundamentals wrote:

where is that video of him from the late 90's of him grabbing onto Larry Johnson's ankle?

I actually do like Van Gundy, I think as a color guy he's a terrible fit, but he's pretty damn knowledgeable about the game.

SSS...

Maybe if you edit it a few more times you will get it right (Sprewell, Larry Johnson,)... Keep trying...

It was actually Alonzo Mourning, no video, but will a photo do for you?

Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri May 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Lubber wrote:SSS...

Maybe if you edit it a few more times you will get it right (Sprewell, Larry Johnson,)... Keep trying...

It was actually Alonzo Mourning, no video, but will a photo do for you?

thanks man. I just remember you-tubing that a long time ago, and couldn't find it for the life of me.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Fri May 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Is Gilbert afraid to make the announcement himself? Is that Ferry's job a little later, and then Gilbert's again at another date to dismiss Ferry?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri May 14, 2010 2:51 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:Is Gilbert afraid to make the announcement himself? Is that Ferry's job a little later, and then Gilbert's again at another date to dismiss Ferry?

I agree with Windhorst on this one. No reason to can him until we know we got someone to fill the shoes.

It is my belief and all good organizations' belief that you don't fire a coach until you know who the replacement will be. 14 minutes ago via web
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby rk » Fri May 14, 2010 2:55 pm

SI just retracted. Gilbert has a published statement on ESPN saying Brown has not been fired and they're committed to him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5189101

EDIT: Wait. Now that link changed a bit. No longer committed to him just saying they're working through the process.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Fri May 14, 2010 2:59 pm

jack_tors wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:Is Gilbert afraid to make the announcement himself? Is that Ferry's job a little later, and then Gilbert's again at another date to dismiss Ferry?

I agree with Windhorst on this one. No reason to can him until we know we got someone to fill the shoes.

It is my belief and all good organizations' belief that you don't fire a coach until you know who the replacement will be. 14 minutes ago via web

No disrespect, but what's the point of having a lame duck guy around for a few days, weeks, month and a half, however long it might take?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby rk » Fri May 14, 2010 3:14 pm

And now SI has a new article saying he has not been fired but will be:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/b ... ?eref=sihp
rk

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri May 14, 2010 3:28 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:
jack_tors wrote:

No disrespect, but what's the point of having a lame duck guy around for a few days, weeks, month and a half, however long it might take?

7-10 days says Gilbert in the presser. Does not want to make malicious decisions right after the event. lol @ SSS on running down the list of NBA players. Poor Oakley taking a forearm shiver, Mourning was lucky that others got in between that one pretty quick. I miss those NBA days...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby FUDU » Fri May 14, 2010 11:52 pm

7-10 days says Gilbert in the presser. Does not want to make malicious decisions right after the event.
I'm saying Larry Brown is the new coach, and the announcement might just be a formality at this point. IIRC you've said some where in here today that Gilbert doesn't fuck around with his business approach and with any threat of a departure from LeBron it is 100% full steam ahead to keep this franchise moving in the direction best for Gilbert. Not to mention Larry Brown is possibly the best coach that is most susceptible to being lured away from a current gig.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat May 15, 2010 12:29 am

FUDU wrote:
7-10 days says Gilbert in the presser. Does not want to make malicious decisions right after the event.
I'm saying Larry Brown is the new coach, and the announcement might just be a formality at this point. IIRC you've said some where in here today that Gilbert doesn't fuck around with his business approach and with any threat of a departure from LeBron it is 100% full steam ahead to keep this franchise moving in the direction best for Gilbert. Not to mention Larry Brown is possibly the best coach that is most susceptible to being lured away from a current gig.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't LBJ have a negative history with Larry Brown?? Didn't Larry stiff LBJ regarding playing time on the USA team years back?
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby FUDU » Sat May 15, 2010 12:36 am

OldDawg wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't LBJ have a negative history with Larry Brown?? Didn't Larry stiff LBJ regarding playing time on the USA team years back?
Yeah but I am pretty sure there is a lot of mutual respect between the two, besides interest in or a hiring of Larry Brown would add credibility to Gilbert's efforts of moving the franchise forward with or without LeBron. It would also cement the commitment to trying to stay competitive without blowing things up and having to wait this out 3-4 years before we get back to a contending team.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby OffBase » Sat May 15, 2010 8:53 am

Is Mike Fratello interested in the job? ;-) ;) :wink:
OffBase
Serenity Now!

Favorite Player: The Cleveland Fans
Least Favorite Player: LeBastard

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat May 15, 2010 10:20 am

Funny you mention Fratello, I was thinking about his run with the Mills, Phills, Hill team and how he took that bunch of stiffs to the playoffs. He was certainly a coach that was able to take what he had and get the most out of thier talent. I will have to research his last run in Memphis to see whether I am just having fond memories.

Something about those teams I liked.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby waborat » Sat May 15, 2010 12:17 pm

Orenthal wrote:Something about those teams I liked.

Coulda been the victorious 78-73 scoreboards?
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat May 15, 2010 5:20 pm

waborat wrote:
Orenthal wrote:Something about those teams I liked.

Coulda been the victorious 78-73 scoreboards?

I think I like pulling for the scrappy underdogs, and no the low scores hurt their appeal. The best part of being Cleveland fan is looking at guys, say Boobie Gibson, and making outlandish extensions of their ability if they were just given X variable. I am so ready to get to work on plan B if "The King" takes a bow...
Orenthal

Unread postby waborat » Sat May 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Orenthal wrote:
I think I like pulling for the scrappy underdogs

I agree with what you're saying OJ...

I always thought Fratello & Fitch got more out of their teams than any other Cavs' coach
waborat

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat May 15, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm totally selling out for JVG. Now I wish we also had a time machine and could go grab some of those tough Knick teams. I want guys willing to bleed out thier opponent. At least we won't question whether they quit or had any heart.
Orenthal

Unread postby waborat » Sat May 15, 2010 8:00 pm

Orenthal wrote:I'm totally selling out for JVG. Now I wish we also had a time machine and could go grab some of those tough Knick teams. I want guys willing to bleed out thier opponent. At least we won't question whether they quit or had any heart.

If Ferry hires JVG, then what about Marcus Camby?

Team diplomat?

Body guard?
waborat

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat May 15, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm all for a Marcus Camby type player, if not the guy himself. Shaq was the ONLY guy that showed any balls this postseason. Only problem is that he is signed through 2011/2012, but the money is about equal to Mo Williams. Think they wanna deal seeing as they have Przybilla, Oden, and Aldridge signed for about 24 million?

Camby is signed to a deal 1 year less then Mo, cuz Mo has a Player's Option. Then again Camby is old and injury prone. This is gonna be a tough couple years. All depends on how far Gilbert is willing to take the payroll.
Orenthal

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat May 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Speaking of SI, surprised no one is talking about an "SI Jinx"
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat May 15, 2010 9:11 pm

TCE > SI Cover

No double negatives... Just exponentially increased chance of failure...
Orenthal

Unread postby jb » Mon May 17, 2010 10:49 am

It doesn't f'ing matter.

I never could understand why Gilbert spent so much heli-jack on everything and then had a nickle's worth a coach.

In the unlikely event Bron is thinking of staying, you have to hire who he wants.

If Bron is gone, I want John Lucas back. I want to win like 6 games a year for 3 years.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon May 17, 2010 11:51 am

Listen, you're Hubie Brown. The biggest star in the game just crapped the bed in the 2nd round and has come calling for a real coach. What do you do?

I don't care if he's 137 and he died 12 years ago. He can still coach.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby rk » Mon May 17, 2010 4:24 pm

jb wrote:I never could understand why Gilbert spent so much heli-jack on everything and then had a nickle's worth a coach.

In the unlikely event Bron is thinking of staying, you have to hire who he wants.

You answered your own question.

Mike Brown was the head coach for this team because Lebron liked Mike Brown. Gilbert was not about to fire a 'Lebron Guy'.

Keep in mind that Lebron is convinced that Lebron James is all that a team needs to win a ring. So he'd rather have had a HC -he- trained to coach him than a HC that knew how to win.

The assumption people are working on today, that Lebron is blaming MB's coaching and therefore would like to see him sent packing, might be a little off. Depending on the unknown why that affected Lebron's play in this series, particularly the clutzy uncharacteristic play in games 4, 5, and 6, might be enough to keep Lebron thinking that all he needs is to get healthy rather than needing a new coach.

In which case firing Brown might just be one more reason for Lebron to leave rather than one more reason for him to stay.

I am not envious of Gilbert's goal of keeping Lebron. Tho I am envious of all of his money and undoubtedly cheap mortgage.
rk

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA