Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

cavs v celtics - game 1

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: cavs v celtics - game 1

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Sun May 02, 2010 12:52 am

Im not gonna lie, I was terrified going into the second half; mo getting torched, lebron being tentative, and Celts getting easy layups.

Then the Cavs showed up on Defense.

Big win. I fucking love this team. '10 champs, baby,
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Thoughts on game 1 v Celtics

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 02, 2010 3:06 am

Possibly the strangest LeBron performance ever.

Almost completely uninterested in the game for 24 minutes if not 36. Yet ends up with 35/7/7/2, a historical stat sheet. WTF was going on ?

Is he hurt, has he reached the point of his actualization that he feels he only needs his team to hold on then play hard for 10 minutes? He was almost completely uninvolved in the first 3 quarters signifying his elbow is F'd up. But after his 4Q performance one has to ask, was it planned, if so by him, Mike Brown (LMAO), WTF happened? One thing is certain, he blanketed Pierce, who was almost invisible all game outside of the first 4 possessions.

It was the quietest 35/7/7 in NBA history...and what does Boston take from this? Did they give their best shot and still fall short by nearly 10 pts, if so b/c of LeBron, our depth....? If LeBron needs time off on the court then have him play PG , especially when a Mo is hot. Mo hitting threes without having to work for them is WAY better then Mo having to work for his game, every single time.

West played great, Mo stepped up when LBJ was napping, but why did LeBron make it come to that?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Thoughts on game 1 v Celtics

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun May 02, 2010 7:28 am

To see LeBron was "almost completely uninterested" for the entire first half and possibly the 3rd quarter is completely mistaken, in my opinion. He's playing with an injured elbow. He was trying to compensate for that and find a way to be effective without taking a lot of jumpers. You could see it on the breakaway dunk in the first half when he laid the ball gently in the hoop as opposed to slamming it with the right hand.

I'll agree it was odd to see him backing guys down like Shaq. By the second half he figured out that he could penetrate and draw the foul or finish at the rim. He even made a jump hook. This elbow injury actually could help LeBron in the long run. He's having to find other ways to score that we haven't seen much of from him before.

I like the way he would decide who he wanted to go up against and call for the pick to get himself switched off on the Boston defender he wanted.

I said before the game the Cavs should not have Mo guard Rondo, but rather put Parker and West on him. But Roker had to give Mo a try and Rondo lit him up in the first half. Then they switched to Parker in the second half and the Celtics scoring dropped from 54 to 39. Hopefully Roker finally sees the light and there's no more of Mo on Rondo.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby waborat » Sun May 02, 2010 8:16 am

FUDU wrote:Possibly the strangest LeBron performance ever.

Almost completely uninterested in the game for 24 minutes if not 36. Yet ends up with 35/7/7/2, a historical stat sheet. WTF was going on ?

Is he hurt, has he reached the point of his actualization that he feels he only needs his team to hold on then play hard for 10 minutes? He was almost completely uninvolved in the first 3 quarters signifying his elbow is F'd up. But after his 4Q performance one has to ask, was it planned, if so by him, Mike Brown (LMAO), WTF happened? One thing is certain, he blanketed Pierce, who was almost invisible all game outside of the first 4 possessions.

It was the quietest 35/7/7 in NBA history...and what does Boston take from this? Did they give their best shot and still fall short by nearly 10 pts, if so b/c of LeBron, our depth....? If LeBron needs time off on the court then have him play PG , especially when a Mo is hot. Mo hitting threes without having to work for them is WAY better then Mo having to work for his game, every single time.

West played great, Mo stepped up when LBJ was napping, but why did LeBron make it come to that?

Could...not...agree...more...

I was saying the same thing throughout the game to everyone around me last night...I won't say LBJ looked disinterested last night, because he didn't, but something just didn't feel the same watching him? It was a very "quiet" performance for him though...Afterwards, I said to our friends about it being one of his meekest 30 pt games ever and that's when my buddy said he ended with 35...go figure

We watched him return to the bench during every time out and it wasn't like he was messing with his elbow either, so I don't buy that one...As crazy as it sounds, it felt more like James is now writing the scripts for these games...sheer brillance ::doh::

As far as Boston goes, they look like the Cavs did over the past years with their shallow bench...When 35 +/- year olds gotta play 40 minutes a game then you're in big trouble...When Mo can breakaway and slam in your face there's trouble...

The Cavs totally shut down the lane in the 2nd half and forced Boston to shoot from outside the rest of game...If they play defense the way that they're capable of then this series shouldn't go more than 5...Whether the Chosen One feels strange or not
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby waborat » Sun May 02, 2010 8:29 am

jb wrote:
swerb wrote:Crowd finally woke up

All the way turnt up

Crowd was actually fine at the beginning of the game last night and there was some electricity in the concourse before the game, not Richfield electric (duh), but an energy nonetheless...

Everyone was okay throughout the 1st and was ready to explode, but the Cavs wouldn't let it happen with that joke of a defense in the 1st half...

Naturally durint the half it was the same ol' "Woe is Cleveland", "We suck" talk going round...

After Mo's dunk, it was like a switch was turned on though...Place came alive for the final 18 minutes and the 4th quarter rivaled last year's Orlando series as far as loudness goes...

Most peeps were on their feet the entire 4th and the soundman could have shut off the ridiculous "chant box" because they didn't need it...High 5's with everyone you didn't know, hoarse voices & total pandemonium on 4th & Huron afterwards...

Can't wait for Monday night!!!
waborat

Unread postby waborat » Sun May 02, 2010 8:36 am

e0y2e3 wrote: Personally, Moon's next up for me although Moon's lateral speed isn't great (although if you'll notice, Moon closed the game out on Rondo).

Kept waiting to read someone say something about Moon's 9 minutes last night...

Excellent shut down on Rondo and hit a huge 3 for style pts...

Spot on as usual Eye
waborat

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:17 am

Also, FWIW: Boobie is our best stay in front of you perimeter defender.

Just sort of saying what whoever should have said in the Telfair thread.

But I think Boobie slept w/ Brown's daughter, as getting him 5-10 min when Rondo is enfuego wasn't treated like a real option in the regular season, let alone playoffs.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:19 am

Can we look forward to FUDU's Thoughts getting their own thread for every game from here on out?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:34 am

It's almost as if this Cavs team is pacing itself every game after all those collapses against Orlando last year.

What kind of odds could you have gotten on JJ Hickson being the most clamored for player on this team in the playoffs at the beginning of the year, even amongst quality fans?
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun May 02, 2010 10:52 am

Check the Daily Dime. Bron said it was his first real injury and he was messing with his own mind right up until Mo said 'Be yourself' at the end of the third.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun May 02, 2010 10:58 am

I love reading htese threads after the game. I'm glad I am too glued to the TV to post. As I said in the Chicago series without Shaq on the floor taking up space we get killed on the boards. That plant of Rondo is something that just would not have happened in years past. I remember an over the hill, and out of the league Oakley begging the Cavaliers to sign him just to plant guys. We have that with Shaq and as all the TNT vets said, not a single thing dirty about that play.

Also love pup hitting the 3.5 font on Andy...

Eye and the crew have pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as Boobie, JJ, Andy, that insane Telfair thread, Swerb's reversal on the home crowd...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun May 02, 2010 11:01 am

You needed to put out your own thread? Ah, should have read some of the posts, eye already nailed it...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:15 am

<- is still eating JJ crow
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sun May 02, 2010 12:03 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:<- is still eating JJ crow

Eh, I think JJ is a little more nurture than nature in his development. He goes to a team like the Clip Show, his career could have a totally different trajectory. The organization deserves credit for molding JJ into the kind of player they want him to be and JJ deserves credit for his willingness to be that player.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 02, 2010 12:22 pm

waborat wrote:Could...not...agree...more...

I was saying the same thing throughout the game to everyone around me last night...I won't say LBJ looked disinterested last night, because he didn't, but something just didn't feel the same watching him? It was a very "quiet" performance for him though...Afterwards, I said to our friends about it being one of his meekest 30 pt games ever and that's when my buddy said he ended with 35...go figure

We watched him return to the bench during every time out and it wasn't like he was messing with his elbow either, so I don't buy that one...As crazy as it sounds, it felt more like James is now writing the scripts for these games...sheer brillance ::doh::

As far as Boston goes, they look like the Cavs did over the past years with their shallow bench...When 35 +/- year olds gotta play 40 minutes a game then you're in big trouble...When Mo can breakaway and slam in your face there's trouble...

The Cavs totally shut down the lane in the 2nd half and forced Boston to shoot from outside the rest of game...If they play defense the way that they're capable of then this series shouldn't go more than 5...Whether the Chosen One feels strange or not
Interesting how the perimeter was so key in this game for both teams. What was the stat near the end of 3, we only had 7 attempts and we average 19 with 7 makes, credit Boston for that strategy (it was working). Boston is really needs a big game from more than just one of their main guys, 13/15 from PPRA will not cut it for them. But IMO they will find a way to take this 6 games.

Biggest thing I would like to see is quicker usage of West, don't screw with the starting rotation but just get West involved quicker. You could see plain as day that he was way more calm and under control when things didn't look good early as opposed to everybody else not named LeBron.

As for the extra thread, if Vegas took bets on who it would bother I'd be a rich rich man, more predictable than the sun rising in the east.

FUDU

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun May 02, 2010 1:30 pm

"Interesting how the perimeter was so key in this game for both teams. What was the stat near the end of 3, we only had 7 attempts and we average 19 with 7 makes, credit Boston for that strategy (it was working)."

I'm not so sure the Celtics were responsible for the paucity of 3-point shots. Big Baby got three quick fouls on him and other Celtic bigs were racking up fouls as well. I got the impression the Cavs wanted to pound it inside to get in the bonus and get the Celtic bigs in deeper foul trouble. Also, it looked like LeBron was making a conscious effort not to shoot outside shots unless the shot clock was down and there was nothing left. I just got the impression the Cavs game plan was to try and score from the paint and force the Celtics to play defense as opposed to jacking up 3's and letting the Celtics' old men rest on defense.

Mo took it to the hole more than I've ever seen him do.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Cease » Sun May 02, 2010 2:18 pm

The morning-after game thread review is good stuff. Kind of reliving the game in bits and pieces. People ledge, come back, criticize, apologize. All in the life of a Cleveland Fan. I thoroughly enjoyed the game at West Park Station's outdoor bar. What I thought:

-Amazingly low number of 3's attempted by the Cavs (4 of 12), really out of character. Mo had 20 pts., nothing from behind the arc.
-PROPS to Roker for switching Mo off of Rondo, and rotating DEEP early to keep his gun loaded for the stretch.
-Surprised that Garnett worked Jameson as hard as he did. Wondering if Garnett has the legs to continue abusing Jameson.
-Love Shaq's play in the crunch, but is Perkins really that good and forcing missed bunnies?

We took their best shot early and was impressed that we scraped back in. LeBron is cold-blooded.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Prosecutor wrote:"Interesting how the perimeter was so key in this game for both teams. What was the stat near the end of 3, we only had 7 attempts and we average 19 with 7 makes, credit Boston for that strategy (it was working)."

I'm not so sure the Celtics were responsible for the paucity of 3-point shots. Big Baby got three quick fouls on him and other Celtic bigs were racking up fouls as well. I got the impression the Cavs wanted to pound it inside to get in the bonus and get the Celtic bigs in deeper foul trouble. Also, it looked like LeBron was making a conscious effort not to shoot outside shots unless the shot clock was down and there was nothing left. I just got the impression the Cavs game plan was to try and score from the paint and force the Celtics to play defense as opposed to jacking up 3's and letting the Celtics' old men rest on defense.

Mo took it to the hole more than I've ever seen him do.
I'll agree the Cavaliers game plan was to do all that, I just think in the normal flow of action we find or look for 3's despite that, and I think Boston did a good job of preventing those opportunities. IIRC didn't Rivers comment on that during the game (and after)?

-Love Shaq's play in the crunch, but is Perkins really that good and forcing missed bunnies?
Perkins can cover Shaq, can't completely shut him down but make Shaq work hard enough to really earn his shots. Perkins is a big boy, and I kind of expect him to cause us some problems in spurts in this series.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Sun May 02, 2010 3:32 pm

JoJo White wrote:Yep, I was just chatting about this very thing with my brother.

How is he?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby davemanddd » Sun May 02, 2010 5:21 pm

what's this i hear about perkins needing stitches in his mouth after the game after getting hit by a shaq elbow??? i don't recall any such contact. i remember rondo getting punked to the ground a couple of times by shaq's patented rugby tackles, but never saw perkins take any shots to the face???
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby pup » Sun May 02, 2010 5:23 pm

davemanddd wrote:what's this i hear about perkins needing stitches in his mouth after the game after getting hit by a shaq elbow??? i don't recall any such contact. i remember rondo getting punked to the ground a couple of times by shaq's patented rugby tackles, but never saw perkins take any shots to the face???

Happened in 1st quarter. Perkins went back to locker room and got stitches. Was also called for the foul (when Shaq got stuffed by the rim on a dunk).
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:20 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:<- is still eating JJ crow

Eh, I think JJ is a little more nurture than nature in his development. He goes to a team like the Clip Show, his career could have a totally different trajectory. The organization deserves credit for molding JJ into the kind of player they want him to be and JJ deserves credit for his willingness to be that player.

Sure, but I never thought he would be smart enough to put anything together on the court.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun May 02, 2010 9:20 pm

I did not post during the game. Probably glad that I did not.

For me, the first half was almost unwatchable. I was going nuts. Screaming at the tube.

Play-off Focus??
How many missed layups and tip-ins?
Casual passes that were stolen or deflected.
Thread the needle pass to LBJ for back door that is a TO.
Tough to watch one of the best post players in history struggle to make a 2 ft shot.
D? As you all have said, Rondo had his way and then some.
And losing the battle of the boards at half as well. UGH!

Second half.
I liked the D adjustments on Rondo. I think we aren't giving the help D as much credit for the second half. There were occasions in the second half where Rondo was swarmed by the help D when he beat his guy. Swarmed so effectively that he couldn't find the open guy like he did the first half. Of course the fly swatter treatment by Shaq was interesting.

Redz in the 2nd quarter and Mo in the 3rd were inspirational.

Good to see in the 4th quarter that Shaq actually made a move after he backed his guy down. His up and under was a good move. I also think when he backs his guy into the key to the middle, he should spin back to the baseline more often to finish. When he does that, he is tough to defend.

Thoughts:
I think Shaq is getting nit-picked by the refs. The D can flat out dig in and shove him with both hands/forearms the entire time he is on the block. If he pivots, its a charge.

I like Redz on the floor often. His versatility is a huge plus. He is a tough defender, can shoot a jumper, can attack the hoop, can play the point, and has one of the best pull-up or step-back jumpers off the dribble in the league. He is one tough dude, and toughness is a plus at play-off time.

Like most of you, I like JJ on the floor as well. I like him on the floor with LBJ as they have great chemistry. I think LBJ is a key reason JJ has become an NBA player.

Jamison needs to be the stretch 4 that he is supposed to be in this series. He needs to take Garnett out on the floor and test the old man's legs.

We played as poor a first half as we can, took their best punch, and still won. Its scary how good this team can be.

Glad to be playing the Celtics. Can't wait for the melt down. Them getting T's. Them pointing fingers at each other. Aaahh.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:27 pm

OldDawg wrote:We played as poor a first half as we can, took their best punch, and still won. Its scary how good this team can be.

Not directed at you, but I am getting sick of hearing this after every game. Cavs need to get their shit together.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun May 02, 2010 9:30 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
OldDawg wrote:We played as poor a first half as we can, took their best punch, and still won. Its scary how good this team can be.

Not directed at you, but I am getting sick of hearing this after every game. Cavs need to get their shit together.

Agreed. That's why the first half was almost unwatchable for me.

Hey, aoxol, I am griping about Shaq's cheap charge calls, and then I look at your avatar!!
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon May 03, 2010 12:39 pm

pup wrote:
davemanddd wrote:what's this i hear about perkins needing stitches in his mouth after the game after getting hit by a shaq elbow??? i don't recall any such contact. i remember rondo getting punked to the ground a couple of times by shaq's patented rugby tackles, but never saw perkins take any shots to the face???

Happened in 1st quarter. Perkins went back to locker room and got stitches. Was also called for the foul (when Shaq got stuffed by the rim on a dunk).

thank you. i didn't recall seeing that.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon May 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Team Stat Leaders
Boston Cleveland
Points R. Allen 18.5 L. James 32.3
Rebounds K. Garnett 9.0 L. James 8.8
Assists R. Rondo 10.5 L. James 8.0
Steals R. Rondo 2.0 L. James 1.5
Blocks K. Perkins 2.2 L. James 2.3

and all this with a bum elbow??? all i can say is "wow"
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon May 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Going through this thread after the fact and...
pup wrote:Man. That second half was fun.

Mad props to Mo for the 10 points in a minute.
and andy too for some great hustle leading to second chance points

Did no one catch this??? Was hidden very cleverly in miniscule font.

swerb wrote:This Celtics team has to be one of the ugliest in NBA history. Rondo, Perkins, Scalabrine are all top 50 All Time Ugly. Pierce and Garnett top 50 All-Ugly of current players.

Shelden Williams' upside down head would like to have a word.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby rk » Mon May 03, 2010 4:51 pm

jb wrote:
JoJo White wrote:Yep, I was just chatting about this very thing with my brother.

How is he?

I thought there were two? Boomer and a younger one. Or maybe Dan was the younger one we got wasted. Well I know we got Danimal but thought we got another...

Boomer's probably in heaven with tickets to South Africa, Onyewu set to be back, Davies possibly back, and the team with a legit tho still long shot at making a real run at the WC.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA