Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

The Greenhouse Tavern

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

The Greenhouse Tavern

Unread postby waborat » Sun May 02, 2010 8:52 am

After a year of being in business, we finally made it to this joint on 4th Street last night...

Owned and operated by Jonathon Sawyer, who worked under Symon, has got his act together and has a gem on his hands...

Walked in before the Cavs' game and got a place by the bar for happy hour...Ordered a few $2 Black Label's (Yes, friggin Black Label, when's the last time you saw these in a bar? And they have Blatz for 2 bills as well) and they tasted better than I remember them tasting when I first started out drinking 25 years ago...

After a few, we got called for our table and they brought us bread with some kind of pork pate to spread on it...Another nice touch was they brought a bottle of wine filled with water to the table so you can keep filling up your own glasses...

I order a $3 starter of miscellaneous black olives marinated in red wine...Wow, were these good...Then we order their famous wings and animal frites (fries) for appetizers...The dry rubbed wings were some of the best I've ever had and were bursting with flavor...The animal frites were french fries smothered with brown gravy, applewood bacon, buffalo mozzarella & 2 fried eggs over the top...I'm droolin again just typing about them...

For dinner, we pretty much went simple at the table and just ordered their burgers... They included an incredible punch that rivaled Moxie's or B-Spot's burgers in Beachwood...Plain fries also came with these and I've gotta say they were THE best french fries I've ever tasted (Yes, better than Lola's or MickeyD's)...

We had such a great time that after the game we came back for some more of those Black Label's :thumb up:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: The Greenhouse Tavern

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 02, 2010 11:02 am

Real good article in the latest Cleveland Magazine about this joint. Just read it yesterday. Named best new Cleveland restaurant.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby waborat » Sun May 02, 2010 11:32 am

Did I mention that they had THE best selction of bourbons & scotches that I've ever seen :thumb up:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun May 02, 2010 12:54 pm

waborat wrote:Did I mention that they had THE best selction of bourbons & scotches that I've ever seen :thumb up:

I like Bourbon.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Sun May 02, 2010 3:41 pm

waborat wrote:Did I mention that they had THE best selction of bourbons & scotches that I've ever seen :thumb up:

With Blatz how would you find out.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Doc » Mon May 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Oh jeez, I finally figured out how to log on to the site from work. Wow, it’s been a while, but I finally figured out those dang cookies.

Anyways, I’ve met Jon a couple times (married to my former employer’s daughter). Haven’t had the chance to test out this place, but I know he worked with Symon for a while. All those places like Lola/Lolita. IIRC, he moved out to Manhattan and had a place out there for a bit. Anyways, he’s a good dude. And now that I’ve realized that this place actually has some quality food and drink, I’ll make it a point to stop there before my next comedy show at Hilarities.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry