Text Size

No Holds Barred

HDTV Problems...tech help please

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

HDTV Problems...tech help please

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:51 pm

I just got an HDTV (Insignia brand). Love the picture, enjoy the tv...but it has one major problem.

Every time I turn the TV off, either via remote or on the TV itself, the TV resets itself to factory defaults. Or at least I think it does.

Here's essentially what's happening. It's hooked up to a Time Warner cable box via an HDMI cable. On the cable box there's an indicator that says whether it's in 1080 or 480. When I turn the TV off, the indicator goes from 1080 to 480, and when I turn the TV back on, it's still on the HDMI input, but there's only a blue screen until I manually reset the cable box. Once it goes through it's booting process, everything comes back on fine. It's really annoying. I have a tech coming out to look at it on Tuesday, but if there's a quick fix I'd much rather do that.

I know there are some tech people on this forum who are good with this sort of thing, so any help would be much appreciated.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: HDTV Problems...tech help please

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:21 pm

You should be able to set the cable box to only display the native resolution of the television. I had this problem, and in my case I set the cable box to only display in 720p and it solved it. I hope this helps.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks for the input, but that doesn't seem to have affected it
StewieG

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Google it and look for other message board discussions on it. That's probably your best bet.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Yeah, I've been doing that. I finally found something. I think the problem is the cable box, not the TV. I found some forum that had someone state that this particular box (Cisco Explorer 8640 hdc) doesn't hold the resolution when it senses the TV is off...but only when it's connected through an HDMI cable. I hooked it up via component cable, and that seems to have fixed the problem. To be honest, I don't notice much, if any, difference in the picture.

I may see if I can get a different HD DVR from Time Warner at some point, but for now it's OK.

Thanks to you guys who responded so quickly though!
StewieG

Return to No Holds Barred