Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Mike Brown May be the Worst Coach in the NBA

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Mike Brown May be the Worst Coach in the NBA

Unread postby Umph » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:32 am

Good God is Mike Brown a horrible coach. Yet again his team came out flat and looked disinterested most of the night, then during the second half, he too dumb to give the ball to the guy with 20 in the first half, Shaq finally heats up and gets the Bulls bigs in foul trouble... then promptly sits for the rest of the game. He left an ineffective group on the court when it mattered most in the forth, with his lone adjustment being a "defense for offense" switch by bringing in Moon for Jamison, but leaving Mo Williams, who couldn't guard a coat check, on the court.

You may be able to spin some of his decisions (well, assuming you think he is actually awake and watching the game), but the overall sum of Mike Brown is pure suck. It's like watching Eric Wedge coach a basketball team.

I just wish Windhorst would come right out and say it rather than dancing around the issue in his articles and tweets.
Umph

Re: Mike Brown May be the Worst Coach in the NBA

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Umm, he did make it to the NBA Finals with a roster that included LeBron James and pretty much garbage. He's been to the playoffs every season he's been here and does have a shiny trophy that says "2009 coach of the year"

And he has coached a basketball team that has had the best record in all of basketball two times in a row.

I could agree with you that his rotations are terrible, but I think the Cavs could do a lot worse in terms of having a basketball coach.

If he fails to reach the finals this year though, I bet he's gone, don't know who Gilbert and Ferry would bring in, but you gotta imagine it'd be someone who would get us over the hump.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Yet again his team came out flat and looked disinterested most of the night

I have my own issues with MB's rotations and his decisions on the offensive side of the ball, but this here is not on him. Look, these players are professionals. They make a lot of money. And this was a close-out game. They'd damn sure better be able to motivate themselves. As Chuck Noll used to say, "If I have to motivate you I'll fire you."
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:04 pm

At the end of the day I fully believe Mike Brown figures out which rotations are the right ones for a given matchup/series. The problem is that the games are also played at the begiining and in the middle of this fictional day.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby waborat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:01 pm

Umph wrote:he too dumb

Pretty sure they played in the XFL?
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:25 pm

peeker643 wrote:At the end of the day I fully believe Mike Brown figures out which rotations are the right ones for a given matchup/series. The problem is that the games are also played at the begiining and in the middle of this fictional day.
:lmfao: :lmfao:
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:22 pm

The only playoff series I can ever remember Roker outcoaching the opposing coach was the 2007 Eastern Conference Finals series against the Pistons, where I thought he adjusted very well to what the Pistons were doing to us at both ends in winning low scoring games 1 & 2. He's been outcoached in just about every 1st rd series. All the ones against Eddie Jordan, and again this year by Vinnie Del. Not exactly Phil Jackson and Pat Riley.

Roker is just too slow to react to what most of us can see watching these games. That Pavlovic was back to being a piece of shit right after one decent game early in last years ORL series. Yet Roker let him suck for like 20 min a night for 3 games after that. Giving Z Hickson's minutes in this Bulls series. You can go on and on. The team has performed poorly in 3rd quarters of almost all the big games in big series before LeBron begins to bail em out with like 6 min left.

This Boston series, I'd still start Mo ... but there is no way Mo should be getting more minutes than Delonte right now. Delonte is the better overall player. Delonte was our 2nd best player the last two postseasons. And Delonte is going good right now. With all the shooters on this team this year, we no longer need Mo out there for his offense alone as badly.

This Cavs team - definitely good enough to win a title in spite of Roker. But Roker is the only thing that can stop this team from winning it all.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:18 pm

This Boston series, I'd still start Mo ... but there is no way Mo should be getting more minutes than Delonte right now. Delonte is the better overall player. Delonte was our 2nd best player the last two postseasons. And Delonte is going good right now. With all the shooters on this team this year, we no longer need Mo out there for his offense alone as badly.

Personally, i'd rather see Mo initiate more offense than he has in the playoffs. He's played better than I'd expect, having very little role on offense....when Lebron sat, he was a total monster the last week. MONSTER. Antawn's offense is pretty constant, i'd really like to see mo get 8-12 shots a game.

Also, it's tough to verbally fellate Delonte after he sucked for 4/5 of that series. He refused to grab the second team offense by the horns until the closeout game....and the Cavs need him to set the tempo of the offense AND play tough defense in the worst way.

I just totally contradicted myself. Ok, they need both of these things.

If Mo Gotti cant hit shots, and he's getting torched by the crib midget....I will run Roker down with my car if Delonte doesn't get the lions share of the minutes at the point.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby davemanddd » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Umph wrote:Good God is Mike Brown a horrible coach. Yet again his team came out flat and looked disinterested most of the night, then during the second half, he too dumb to give the ball to the guy with 20 in the first half, Shaq finally heats up and gets the Bulls bigs in foul trouble... then promptly sits for the rest of the game. He left an ineffective group on the court when it mattered most in the forth, with his lone adjustment being a "defense for offense" switch by bringing in Moon for Jamison, but leaving Mo Williams, who couldn't guard a coat check, on the court.

You may be able to spin some of his decisions (well, assuming you think he is actually awake and watching the game), but the overall sum of Mike Brown is pure suck. It's like watching Eric Wedge coach a basketball team.

I just wish Windhorst would come right out and say it rather than dancing around the issue in his articles and tweets.

are you actually comparing mike brown to eric "the genius" wedge??? you have got to be kidding me!!!

let's see now, mike brown has won 2 of the 3 division titles won in the team's entire history. he has led the team to 5 straight playoff appearances in each of his 5 years as head coach. his teams have all advanced past the first round of the playoffs every single year he has been a coach. he led the team to the nba finals in 2007 in just his 2nd season and has been in the eastern conference finals twice in the previous 3 years. he has a record of 40-25 in the playoffs and is 272-138 overall during the regular season, placing him 3rd all-time behind hall-of-famers lenny wilkens (316) and bill fitch (304) for most victories and has the highest winning percentage (.663) in team history. horrible coach??? really???

meanwhile, eric "the genius" wedge in 7 years as tribe manager only made one single solitary playoff appearance in 2007, won 1 division title (also in 2007), never made it to the world series and in fact presided over one of the biggest choke jobs in mlb playoff history when the indians blew a 3-1 alcs series lead to boston who went on to win the world series. the tribe's record during his tenure was a very mediocre 561-573 (.495) and just 6-5 (.545) in the playoffs. now that is "pure suck" as you said.

when i look at mike brown's record, i see nothing but decent success, albeit still without a title. but when i look at eric "the genius" wedge, i see nothing but epic fail. to compare the two would be downright ludicrous. that being said, if brown doesn't lead the cavs to a title this year with the accumulated talent on this roster including the reigning mvp, a future hall-of-famer, a couple of all-stars and a stable of decent above-average role players, i say enough is enough and it's time for him to go the way of mike hargrove.

success is relative to a point, but once you reach a certain plateau and are unable to get over that hump and actually win a title despite multiple repeated attempts all to no avail, it's time to go in a different direction. it's do or die time for roker. i for one hope he's able to do it and he indeed does lead the cavs to the nba title this year. we can only hope. go cavs!!!

:cavs1:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby DrPoove » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:09 am

peeker643 wrote:At the end of the day I fully believe Mike Brown figures out which rotations are the right ones for a given matchup/series. The problem is that the games are also played at the begiining and in the middle of this fictional day.

Doesn't react quick enough in game and is not proactive enough to stop things from going from bad to worse.

The prep work is there but when the Fit Hits the Shan its like watching a car wreck.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:18 am

Let's say the Cavaliers don't win it all. Does Dan Gilbert get rid of Mike Brown?
Phil Jackson, anyone?

With regard to the actual thought of Brown coaching, too many lapses in recent memory but let's see how he handles this series. If the Cavaliers employ a smaller, quicker lineup like they did when they came from way behind on Easter, I can see people back on the bandwagon. If not, then the darts will continue, especially if they struggle.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby gocleveland03 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:38 pm

Umph wrote:Good God is Mike Brown a horrible coach. Yet again his team came out flat and looked disinterested most of the night, then during the second half, he too dumb to give the ball to the guy with 20 in the first half, Shaq finally heats up and gets the Bulls bigs in foul trouble... then promptly sits for the rest of the game. He left an ineffective group on the court when it mattered most in the forth, with his lone adjustment being a "defense for offense" switch by bringing in Moon for Jamison, but leaving Mo Williams, who couldn't guard a coat check, on the court.

dude who wakes up at 730 am steaming mad about a coach whos doing his job, DEFENSE. what happens when the lakers score 70 points and get their asses kicked by some shitty team, do you go saying jackson is a horrible coach. no, you just like to hop on the bandwagon and say everything he does wrong. how many times has mike brown made a change late in the game and we come up with a clutch stop and win the game. how about trying to notice what he does right instead of just cryin like a little girl "mike brown is horrible, omg i totally hate him. seriously mr. dumph you sound like a whining little bitch, be happy you have one of the better coaches in the NBA.
gocleveland03

Favorite Player: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Least Favorite Player: Dirtmaster Kobe

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:41 pm

We have one of the three worst coaches that were/are in the playoffs this year.

Pick your poison between Brown, Doc and Woodson.

(what is w/ the dave multiplying, I thought he patented the nearly unreadable block of text)
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Umph » Mon May 03, 2010 10:00 pm

Doc Rivers owning Mike Brown. Enough said.
Umph

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:52 pm

I can't help but feel that anyone who thinks Delonte is having a quality postseason is not watching closely. He has had some nice moments and hit his step back jumper, but he just is not playing like Delonte. Almost like they changed his meds; his personality is completely off and he has been one of the biggest disappointments thus far, IMO.

Fully expected him to do as Gradysmanldy said and dominate when both teams go to their benches.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby ajunior148 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:23 am

aoxo1 wrote:I can't help but feel that anyone who thinks Delonte is having a quality postseason is not watching closely. He has had some nice moments and hit his step back jumper, but he just is not playing like Delonte. Almost like they changed his meds; his personality is completely off and he has been one of the biggest disappointments thus far, IMO.

Fully expected him to do as Gradysmanldy said and dominate when both teams go to their benches.

I get the feeling that it is because he is not playing as big a part on this team as he has in the past. He is still looking okay, but I agree that he hasn't been the same. If I was Brown I'd bring him in early game 3 and run some plays for him and continue to do so all series because we need him badly.

To Swerb's point, he has been our second best player the past two playoffs. Brown has got to find a way to make him feel more involved so that he plays better, because if/when we get past Boston and Rondo we'll have Nelson next round and we'll need him there as well.
ajunior148

Unread postby krazylegz » Tue May 04, 2010 12:25 pm

back to the original topic...mike brown is definitely not that good of a coach
krazylegz

Unread postby davemanddd » Tue May 04, 2010 12:51 pm

aoxo1 wrote:I can't help but feel that anyone who thinks Delonte is having a quality postseason is not watching closely. He has had some nice moments and hit his step back jumper, but he just is not playing like Delonte. Almost like they changed his meds; his personality is completely off and he has been one of the biggest disappointments thus far, IMO.

it's gotta be the headband. with the headband, he's brutha redz, without the headband he's just delonte west when he was on the end of the bench in seattle.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue May 04, 2010 1:38 pm

davemanddd wrote:it's gotta be the headband. with the headband, he's brutha redz, without the headband he's just delonte west when he was on the end of the bench in seattle.

End of the bench in Seattle? He played in 35 games before the trade, started 5 and averaged 21 minutes a game.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue May 04, 2010 2:03 pm

There's a greater chance Mike Brown is not back next season than LeBron.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue May 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
davemanddd wrote:it's gotta be the headband. with the headband, he's brutha redz, without the headband he's just delonte west when he was on the end of the bench in seattle.

End of the bench in Seattle? He played in 35 games before the trade, started 5 and averaged 21 minutes a game.

It's sad but for some reason, and I have a pretty good memory, I remember reading articles saying West fell out of the rotation b4 the trade out of Seattle. I do not have the energy to look them up for confirmation, and will rest on the fact they were probably written by Branson Wright...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:18 pm

West didn't appear in 8 of the 15 games before the trade.
aoxo1

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Sat May 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Kept Parker on Allen, rotated his defensive schemes to keep folks out of the paint with a body still on Ray, called for post ups for Delonte and Jamo, and went away from force feeding Shaq.

Worst coach in the NBA called a pretty decent game there.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:38 pm

aoxo1

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA