Text Size

The Neutral Zone

2010 NHL Playoffs

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

2010 NHL Playoffs

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:07 pm

After the first couple of games, figured I would get this thread going in the hope of some discussion..

First game upsets followed up by wins by the favorites to knot series at 1 a piece. Washington looks like a team who's biggest enemy is themselves. Buffalo and Vancouver lose 2-0 leads in what leads to a loss and an even series.

Been a war so far in all the series.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Re: 2010 NHL Playoffs

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:44 pm

Since I fully expect Chicago to win game 2 tonight, all 8 series would have been 1-1 after 2. That's awesome for us fans.

Still waiting for the marathon OT game. It's usually the 10 pm EST game too, so I wind up watching it until 2:30 am.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:50 pm

All the good stuff on last night, Celtics/Heat, HBO boxing, MLB Package ... prolly spent the most time watching the Caps/Canadiens game.

Actually been working the NHL playoffs into the clicker rotation the last 3 nights. Kinda refinding myself as a casual hockey fan after really following the sport when younger, then not at all these last 6 years. The Olympics really reminded me how much I enjoy watching the sport when played at the highest levels.

That freaking Caps/Canadiens game last night, my lord. Game had everything. #8 seed with a chance to take the first 2 on the road, raucous crowd, a couple good fights, star players making star plays, and a thrilling comeback and OT win by the home team.

Don't get much better than that.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:50 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Since I fully expect Chicago to win game 2 tonight, all 8 series would have been 1-1 after 2. That's awesome for us fans.

Still waiting for the marathon OT game. It's usually the 10 pm EST game too, so I wind up watching it until 2:30 am.

Wish I still had gas in the tank for those late night games. Watched the first period of the Vancouver game before passing out in the chair. Getting up at 430/5 every morning for work has kinda ended those nights for me.

I have also been surprised with the TV coverage. A ton of games on Versus and NBC showing games on saturday and sunday have been real nice. Wish I could have seen the Buffalo win on friday but understand why the Caps/Habs had priority.

I am not a big fan of Washington. They seem like the kind of team who thinks they can just turn it on when they want to and we all knows life doesnt work like that. I believe that issue and not goaltending is the real concern for them.

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:00 pm

The VAN/LA game was excellent in the 3rd period and OT. It was a very good game.

I am not a big fan of Washington. They seem like the kind of team who thinks they can just turn it on when they want to and we all knows life doesnt work like that. I believe that issue and not goaltending is the real concern for them.

Yep, that's a great point. They really do feel like they can just flip a switch.

Another problem for them that I've noticed so far in this series is that their defensemen are way too slow in transition. Their only real scoring line is "Go! Go! Go!" and their defense are very slow moving the puck up the ice to turn defense in to offense. Because of that, Montreal's been able to get three or four guys back and been able to suffocate Ovechkin coming off the wing. You notice that all of the offense that they have created has been in the middle of the ice or when a guy like Carlson rushes up the ice.

Actually been working the NHL playoffs into the clicker rotation the last 3 nights. Kinda refinding myself as a casual hockey fan after really following the sport when younger, then not at all these last 6 years.

Glad you're coming back around, Rich. I've watched a ton of hockey and I've just marveled at how much more frantic the pace is compared to regular season games. It just gets better from here too.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:52 am

Best playoffs in pro sports hands down. That Caps/Habs game was frenetic up and down the ice.

Poor Dan Boyle.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:03 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Poor Dan Boyle.

Game never should have gone to OT. SJ outshot COL 50-16 in regulation. Craig Anderson absolutely deserved that win any way he got it. He was terrific.

I gotta be honest. I'm shocked that Versus is showing BUF/BOS tonight instead of MTL/WSH. Works for me cause Buffalo's my team, but MTL/WSH is a better draw and would likely be a better game.

VAN/LA with LA back home should be an awesome game in the nightcap.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:41 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Since I fully expect Chicago to win game 2 tonight, all 8 series would have been 1-1 after 2. That's awesome for us fans.

Nice prediction! Anymore for tonight, Swami?

Shocking SJ is down 2-1. I mean, its not like they are choke artists or anything.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:00 pm

jack_tors wrote:Nice prediction! Anymore for tonight, Swami?

I like Boston a lot tonight. Buffalo's scrambling without Vanek and Drew Stafford's contributions are very questionable coming off the concussion. I think Miller has to win a 1-0 or 2-1 game and, while he can, I think his offense fails him.

The news that Marc Savard could potentially come back if Boston wins this series gives them an extra boost tonight. I think it goes back to Buffalo 2-2, but I think they'll have to win game 4.

Derek Roy was totally lost without Vanek in game 2 after they were great together in game 1. Roy needs skill to play with because he needs an outlet when in danger. He's not good along the boards. His safety net won't play, and he won't play well.

I think Washington wins, Halak gets booed, and Carey Price (who was booed upon being 3rd star in a game last month) temporarily saves the day in game 4. Montreal fans are absolutely ruthless and Halak wasn't very good in game 2.

I think of all the games tonight, the home ice advantage of the last line change is the least relevant in this game. I think you'll see guys like Brooks Laich and Alexander Semin wake up tonight with all the focus on AO and Backstrom.

I like Vancouver in a 2OT thriller tonight in LA. Both games have already gone OT, they're two very well-matched teams. LA has a lot of young talent that is starting to believe. Jon Quick's been really good and Luongo's face might as well be on the provincial flag of British Columbia.

Shocking SJ is down 2-1. I mean, its not like they are choke artists or anything.

They're a lucky bounce in game 2 away from being down 3-0. Thornton's been ok, but Marleau and Heatley have been brutal. Nabokov is not a big game goaltender either.

Colorado's one of those teams you have to put away. They're highly emotional, very very young. They start to believe and you're in for a slugfest. They believe now, and with how good Anderson was in game 3, SJ may go home down 3-1.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:22 pm

So Washington's up 3-0, Halak left to boos, Price came on to a chorus of cheers.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Jesus what a snipe by Alex.

jack, I know you've been around a little, here's the Caps/Habs feed: http://www.justin.tv/cheffery_3#r=null~
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Sloppy second period in Boston. You are dead on about Buffalo's offense, ST. Very stagnant right now. They need a PPG desperately to grab the lead.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:41 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Jesus what a snipe by Alex.

jack, I know you've been around a little, here's the Caps/Habs feed: http://www.justin.tv/cheffery_3#r=null~

Thanks!! Washington is all over the Habs right now.

And now Plankec draws a unsportsmanlike and a minor.. ouch. Coming apart.. this game might be the one that turns the whole series.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:45 pm

jack_tors wrote:Sloppy second period in Boston. You are dead on about Buffalo's offense, ST. Very stagnant right now. They need a PPG desperately to grab the lead.

They're playing way too soft. Too many guys who can't deal with contact. They're one shot and done in the offensive zone cause they aren't willing to get dirty and go down low.

In the other game, Montreal looks horrible. Terribly undisciplined. Gomez and Plekanec have both picked up unsportsmanlike penalties. Gomez's was a 10 min misconduct.

WSH on a 4 min PP now to really put the game away.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:54 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
jack_tors wrote:Sloppy second period in Boston. You are dead on about Buffalo's offense, ST. Very stagnant right now. They need a PPG desperately to grab the lead.

They're playing way too soft. Too many guys who can't deal with contact. They're one shot and done in the offensive zone cause they aren't willing to get dirty and go down low.

In the other game, Montreal looks horrible. Terribly undisciplined. Gomez and Plekanec have both picked up unsportsmanlike penalties. Gomez's was a 10 min misconduct.

WSH on a 4 min PP now to really put the game away.

When Washington is on, they are scary good. However, the offense is going to have to score a lot to compensate for the goaltending and issues on that you pointed out on the blue line.

I really want to see Buffalo steal this game. Outside of Savard, all of Boston can eat me.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:59 pm

Buffalo has more jump here to start the period. They need to get one with that jump so because if they give one up, the jump will be long gone.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:01 pm

That's a spectacular save by Miller.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:23 pm

Wife commandeered the tv so I am done for the night. Wish I would have gotten another cable box.. Oh well.. Go Sabres.. looking bleak though with that go ahead goal by Bergeron.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:01 pm

Looks like your Sabres are in trouble, Tripods.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Here's how I see a few of tonight's games..

Without Doan, Phoenix sputters and Detroit uses the home ice to get back on track vs the Coyotes.

Philly uses the home ice to pull away from NJ.

SJ continues the choke job and loses on the road to Colorado..

All purely speculation as I dont have the knowledge ST does, so we will see.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Looks like your Sabres are in trouble, Tripods.

They really are. They're playing with next to no confidence right now and they're very banged up at forward. Ryan Miller will have to steal this series for them by allowing 1 goal or less in the rest of the games going forward.

Without Doan, Phoenix sputters and Detroit uses the home ice to get back on track vs the Coyotes.

Doan's a big loss, but where a team like Buffalo folded when Vanek got hurt, PHX stepped it up when he left and the role players really took over. Bryzgalov was also stellar.

It's hard to predict this game. If Jimmy Howard sucks like he did in Game 3, Detroit is done. If he plays well, they're going back to the desert 2-2.

Philly uses the home ice to pull away from NJ.

NJ wins tonight to continue the seesaw series. Brodeur was excellent in game 3, they just didn't do anything on offense for him. New Jersey's going to focus on matching up better against Mike Richards tonight and shut him down. I think NJ wins this game fairly convincingly.

SJ continues the choke job and loses on the road to Colorado..

The Sharks win tonight. They have to. They'll rally around Boyle and pay the price. The Sharks had 50 shots in game 3 and only 11 of them came from within 9 feet of the net. That's not good enough. By comparison, 11 of COL's 17 came from within 9'. I think the Sharks prevail, but in a 2-1 masterpiece from Anderson.

All purely speculation as I dont have the knowledge ST does, so we will see.

Don't sell yourself short, jt. You've made some good points in this forum before and I think you're a knowledgeable hockey guy. Maybe we can get together for a Monsters game one day next season.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:07 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Doan's a big loss, but where a team like Buffalo folded when Vanek got hurt, PHX stepped it up when he left and the role players really took over. Bryzgalov was also stellar.

It's hard to predict this game. If Jimmy Howard sucks like he did in Game 3, Detroit is done. If he plays well, they're going back to the desert 2-2.

Det has the lead late in the 3rd, Howard has a shutout.. Crazy.. Saw Howard many times when in Grand Rapids and thought he was good, not great but a guy with an NHL career ahead of him. Surprised it took him so long even with the old guys like Osgood around.

skatingtripods wrote:NJ wins tonight to continue the seesaw series. Brodeur was excellent in game 3, they just didn't do anything on offense for him. New Jersey's going to focus on matching up better against Mike Richards tonight and shut him down. I think NJ wins this game fairly convincingly.

Tied at one, looks like a hell of a game. Pretty even on shots halfways through the second

skatingtripods wrote:Don't sell yourself short, jt. You've made some good points in this forum before and I think you're a knowledgeable hockey guy. Maybe we can get together for a Monsters game one day next season.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I know the players somewhat but not the strategy like I do other sports. I imagine playing it for so long lends some help in picking up the game. But I am continually trying to learn as hockey is a great sport. Totally count me in for a Monsters game next year. Lets do it up

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:17 pm

jack_tors wrote:Det has the lead late in the 3rd, Howard has a shutout.. Crazy.. Saw Howard many times when in Grand Rapids and thought he was good, not great but a guy with an NHL career ahead of him. Surprised it took him so long even with the old guys like Osgood around.

Howard was being billed as the next big thing. Thomas McCollum, now in Grand Rapids, was under the same pressure. He was also a goaltender for Team USA's U-20 team last year. Detroit knows how to draft. It's unbelievable.

I didn't watch, but Howard must have been good tonight. Again, he was the wild card. Detroit's the better team, but Bryzgalov's been better than Howard in the two PHX wins.

Tied at one, looks like a hell of a game. Pretty even on shots halfways through the second

Huge choke job for NJ. Enormous choke job. They dominated WSH and PIT in the regular season and then to lose convincingly to PHI. They could come back, but they won't win Game 6 in PHI.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I know the players somewhat but not the strategy like I do other sports. I imagine playing it for so long lends some help in picking up the game. But I am continually trying to learn as hockey is a great sport. Totally count me in for a Monsters game next year. Lets do it up

Unfortunately, you can't learn much from watching the dumbasses on FSN Ohio. But, many of the other color guys around the league say a lot of things and if you soak them up, you'll look for those things and understand them.

When Monsters season comes around, I'll shoot you a PM. Bring the lady. Mine loves going to Monsters games. The team, by and large, isn't good, but live hockey is great.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:24 pm

Have some patience while this beauty buffers and loads.

Simply remarkable.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 am

The Devils are done.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Another sick save by Miller in OT. Guy is like Gumby with better anticipation skills.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 pm

Finally a multi-OT game. That OT was terrific. Miller and Rask were stellar and there were maybe two whistles.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Jesus. Is Chara a CDT-like giant or is Ennis a dwarf?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:36 pm

peeker643 wrote:Jesus. Is Chara a CDT-like giant or is Ennis a dwarf?

He's 6'9" I believe.

Lucic put it on Miller there.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:37 pm

peeker643 wrote:Jesus. Is Chara a CDT-like giant or is Ennis a dwarf?

6'9" 255. CDT is taller. Though Chara is probably 7' on skates.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Jesus christ is that inexcusable. A too many men call in 2OT. That's horrible.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Tremendous pressure by Boston on that power play.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Christian Ehrhoff is a solid German.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jack_tors » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:00 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Christian Ehrhoff is a solid German.

I met him and Matt Carkner many years ago when they were with the Barons. I dont believe he knows a word of english. I had high hopes for him that were dashed because he forgot that as a defenseman, it really helps if, you know, play defense even once in a blue moon.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:29 am

I never said anything about him being a solid defender.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:07 pm

jack_tors wrote:

I met him and Matt Carkner many years ago when they were with the Barons. I dont believe he knows a word of english. I had high hopes for him that were dashed because he forgot that as a defenseman, it really helps if, you know, play defense even once in a blue moon.

I had several conversations with Doug Murray. Very very smart dude. Cornell grad. Big son of a bitch up close too.

On a hockey forum I used to post on, I had several arguments with this douche bag Kevin Wey. He was a writer for the site discussing Sharks prospects. I always said that Doug Murray would eventually be a #2 defenseman in the league. Who's laughing now?

It's cool to see guys you watched play a lot wind up in the SC Playoffs. Colorado's team is made up of 60% Lake Erie Monsters who've come through here over the last 3 seasons. Can't help but root for them.

Interesting note...if Chicago wins game 4 tonight, all four Western Conference series will be 2-2 after 4 games. All four Eastern Conference series are 3-1. The Western Conference playoffs are always the best. That VAN/LA series has been incredible. Same with COL/SJ and DET/PHX has had a couple good games as well.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:30 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
jack_tors wrote:

I had several conversations with Doug Murray. Very very smart dude. Cornell grad. Big son of a bitch up close too.

On a hockey forum I used to post on, I had several arguments with this douche bag Kevin Wey. He was a writer for the site discussing Sharks prospects. I always said that Doug Murray would eventually be a #2 defenseman in the league. Who's laughing now?

It's cool to see guys you watched play a lot wind up in the SC Playoffs. Colorado's team is made up of 60% Lake Erie Monsters who've come through here over the last 3 seasons. Can't help but root for them.

Interesting note...if Chicago wins game 4 tonight, all four Western Conference series will be 2-2 after 4 games. All four Eastern Conference series are 3-1. The Western Conference playoffs are always the best. That VAN/LA series has been incredible. Same with COL/SJ and DET/PHX has had a couple good games as well.

Got Murray's autograph but got to talk to him. I remember those days with the Barons, that guy hit ( and still does) like a friggin freight train. I knew he would make it in the NHL, just never knew he would be that good. Did he win the Hobey Baker or am I thinking of another Baron/Monster?

skatingtripods wrote:It's cool to see guys you watched play a lot wind up in the SC Playoffs. Colorado's team is made up of 60% Lake Erie Monsters who've come through here over the last 3 seasons. Can't help but root for them.

Yeah, very cool although I enjoyed it more for the Barons. Here is my problem, the Monsters are okay but I absolutely fucking despise the Colorado Avalanche. Sakic, Claude Lemieux, Roy, all of those bastards. I just hated those teams.. Its hard for me to root for guys who are destined to end up on a team I hate. Its weird to root against a Cleveland team as I have never done it and it feels impure.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:29 pm

jack_tors wrote:Got Murray's autograph but got to talk to him. I remember those days with the Barons, that guy hit ( and still does) like a friggin freight train. I knew he would make it in the NHL, just never knew he would be that good. Did he win the Hobey Baker or am I thinking of another Baron/Monster?

Marty Sertich won the Hobey Baker at Colorado College. He's battled all sorts of concussion issues since going to the AHL.

Yeah, very cool although I enjoyed it more for the Barons. Here is my problem, the Monsters are okay but I absolutely fucking despise the Colorado Avalanche. Sakic, Claude Lemieux, Roy, all of those bastards. I just hated those teams.. Its hard for me to root for guys who are destined to end up on a team I hate. Its weird to root against a Cleveland team as I have never done it and it feels impure.

None of those guys are with the Avs any more. The Avs just have a ton of youth scatted around vets like Foote and Hejduk. I have no issue with the Avs.

It would have been nice to see guys like Pavelski and Setoguchi if the Barons were still here, but I have no issue with the Monsters. Colorado just hasn't been an established enough team to allow LEM to keep some talent. Hensick would have been there too if it weren't for re-entry waivers.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:56 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
jack_tors wrote:Got Murray's autograph but got to talk to him. I remember those days with the Barons, that guy hit ( and still does) like a friggin freight train. I knew he would make it in the NHL, just never knew he would be that good. Did he win the Hobey Baker or am I thinking of another Baron/Monster?

Marty Sertich won the Hobey Baker at Colorado College. He's battled all sorts of concussion issues since going to the AHL.

I am going to have to look.I thought somebody won the Hobey or perhaps they were finalists for it when the Barons were still around. Boyes? Murray? I dont know, my memory isnt what it once was so I could be imagining this whole thing. I went to 15-20 Barons games on average a year. Good times considering no one was ever really there.

skatingtripods wrote:

None of those guys are with the Avs any more. The Avs just have a ton of youth scatted around vets like Foote and Hejduk. I have no issue with the Avs.

It would have been nice to see guys like Pavelski and Setoguchi if the Barons were still here, but I have no issue with the Monsters. Colorado just hasn't been an established enough team to allow LEM to keep some talent. Hensick would have been there too if it weren't for re-entry waivers.

Yeah, most of the Avs are gone but being a Stars fan for so long its hard to shake old habits. I havent followed Big D as much of late since CBJ is so close and the home team.

Wish they would have been smart and moved the Syracuse team here so we can root for Jackets youngsters. Would have been a good marketing move too since it would literally blanketed the state in Jackets hockey.. Oh well.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:43 pm

jack_tors wrote:I am going to have to look.I thought somebody won the Hobey or perhaps they were finalists for it when the Barons were still around. Boyes? Murray? I dont know, my memory isnt what it once was so I could be imagining this whole thing. I went to 15-20 Barons games on average a year. Good times considering no one was ever really there.

I wouldn't be shocked. It might have been somebody like Shane Joseph or Grant Stevenson. I think it's hilarious how the Hobey Baker almost always goes to these diminutive forwards who never make it in the NHL because they're too damn small.

Yeah, most of the Avs are gone but being a Stars fan for so long its hard to shake old habits. I havent followed Big D as much of late since CBJ is so close and the home team.

Wish they would have been smart and moved the Syracuse team here so we can root for Jackets youngsters. Would have been a good marketing move too since it would literally blanketed the state in Jackets hockey.. Oh well.

Modano coming out in the Minnesota North Stars jersey for his last 1st star was awesome. It actually brought a tear to my eye. Arguably the best American born player to lace them up. Dallas is in shambles, though. They are top-loaded with contracts and haven't drafted very well. Lehtonen's hurt every year and Turco's walking. They have some issues to clear up.

On the AHL team here, the Monsters still have two years left with Colorado. Columbus signed a one-year affiliation agreement with Springfield, with an option for a 2nd year. My guess is that CBJ exercises that 2nd year option and then moves their affiliate here when our deal is done with Colorado.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:27 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
jack_tors wrote:I am going to have to look.I thought somebody won the Hobey or perhaps they were finalists for it when the Barons were still around. Boyes? Murray? I dont know, my memory isnt what it once was so I could be imagining this whole thing. I went to 15-20 Barons games on average a year. Good times considering no one was ever really there.

I wouldn't be shocked. It might have been somebody like Shane Joseph or Grant Stevenson. I think it's hilarious how the Hobey Baker almost always goes to these diminutive forwards who never make it in the NHL because they're too damn small.

Ha, Grant Stevenson. I was a partial ticket holder for the Barons and he was assigned to sit at my table for the year end ticket holder dinner. Guy had the personality of burnt toast. He wasnt a prick, just quiet and kinda introspective. Made sense since he kinda played that way. LOL. Toskala was the same way. I met him, got a picture and he went up to SJ the next day. Very quiet, didnt speak much English.

Guys like Carkner or the Toskala's back up (guy even replaced Toskala in SJ when Vesa got hurt. Had like 2 shut outs in 3 games and has since fallen off the map. Cant remember his name for the life of me.) were very out going, engaging guys. Real easy to talk to and even easier to root for.

skatingtripods wrote:

Modano coming out in the Minnesota North Stars jersey for his last 1st star was awesome. It actually brought a tear to my eye. Arguably the best American born player to lace them up. Dallas is in shambles, though. They are top-loaded with contracts and haven't drafted very well. Lehtonen's hurt every year and Turco's walking. They have some issues to clear up.

On the AHL team here, the Monsters still have two years left with Colorado. Columbus signed a one-year affiliation agreement with Springfield, with an option for a 2nd year. My guess is that CBJ exercises that 2nd year option and then moves their affiliate here when our deal is done with Colorado.

Yeah Modano has always been my favorites. All my friends were rooting for Mario or Wayne. I wanted someone my own and someone American. Reading about a rookie Madano in a magazine and he became my favorite. LaFontaine a close second because I LOVED those LaFontaine, Mogilny,Hawerchuk, Fuhr/Hasek teams of the 90's.

I hope Modano goes out now and hangs em up. He had a good career and should be ashamed of nothing. He left it all on the ice. My autographed Modano picture holding the cup is one of my favorite possessions. That first star event was awesome and the way every guy thinks about ending his career.

Dallas does have troubles right now. They look like a team trying to piece together a direction. Never ever like Turco, never a big game goalie.. Imagine saying that about a guy from Michigan, lol.

Awesome news about the Jackets and the possibility of them coming here. Having the majority of minor league teams in the state is one of the things the Indians did right. Would be nice to see CBJ do the same. I would go back to being a partial ticket holder if they did that.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:53 am

These playoffs are much better than the NFL, MLB, and NBA. By miles......
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:08 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:These playoffs are much better than the NFL, MLB, and NBA. By miles......

Hell yeah they are. The NHL playoffs have always been the best since the level of intensity is unmatched. Stories like this are proof :

http://www.wpxi.com/news/23241743/detail.html

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:33 pm

jack_tors wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:These playoffs are much better than the NFL, MLB, and NBA. By miles......

Hell yeah they are. The NHL playoffs have always been the best since the level of intensity is unmatched. Stories like this are proof :

http://www.wpxi.com/news/23241743/detail.html

Probably also had something to do with the fact that they lost in 3 OT.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Ovechkin snowing some little kid.

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:48 pm

Hossa better get suspended 1 game for that cheap shot on Hamhuis.

Ovechkin got a game for the same thing on Campbell.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:57 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Hossa better get suspended 1 game for that cheap shot on Hamhuis.

Ovechkin got a game for the same thing on Campbell.

He might, but it probably doesn't matter since he got the game winner and CHI has the 3-2 lead.

Patrick Kane is clutch. I'm so glad we have that dude on our Olympic team for the next 3 Winter Olympics.

Pulling for Ottawa and Colorado tonight. Nothing beats a Game 7 in the NHL playoffs.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:15 pm

Really I hope both teams lose.

That would make me laugh.

Bitchfaces all of them.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:02 am

I'd love to see the Blackhawks get knocked out so the suffering of Marian Hossa continues. How many years in a row has he come up short?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:17 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'd love to see the Blackhawks get knocked out so the suffering of Marian Hossa continues. How many years in a row has he come up short?

Back to back years on the Cup runner up.

He's definitely an asshole.

No hope for PHX today playing at the Joe. Their Cinderella run ends today.

I think LA is done too. They've hit the wall.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Next

Return to The Neutral Zone