Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

KFC Double Down

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

KFC Double Down

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 am

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/lifestyles/food/x1173971247/KFCs-new-sandwich-replaces-bun-with-chicken-see-photo

The KFC Double Down, which launches Monday, is essentially a sandwich with two chicken filets taking the place of bread slices. In between are two pieces of bacon, melted slices of Monterey Jack and Pepper Jack cheese and a zesty sauce.

How much will it cost? About $5 and 540 calories (460 for the grilled version), putting it on caloric par with fast-food standards like the McDonald's Big Mac or a large order of french fries at Burger King.

Must have for people on the Atkins Diet?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: KFC Double Down

Unread postby waborat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:14 am

Damn, you throw your slaw & fries inside that thang and you might have better eats than a Panini Overstuffed...

Somewhere the Colonel is smilin :salute:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:18 am

waborat wrote:Damn, you throw your slaw & fries inside that thang and you might have better eats than a Panini Overstuffed...

Somewhere the Colonel is smilin :salute:

Why not just dump this "sandwich, into a mashed potato bowl and have the best of everything.

Good thing the HCR bill passed recently.

How does Popeye's one up this?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:26 am

This is far too inspired to be real.

man, put some hot sauce in between....
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:07 pm

There has been a lot of hand wringing and anticipation about this for the past week. People seem shocked that something so unhealthy could be produced.

Except that it isn't any worse than a lot of the other fare served up. Places already serve double, triple, and quadruple stacked sandwiches with bacon, cheese, and mayonnaise. If anything, this is a better option as it doesn't contain the nutritionally worthless bun.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:45 am

aoxo1 wrote:There has been a lot of hand wringing and anticipation about this for the past week. People seem shocked that something so unhealthy could be produced.

Except that it isn't any worse than a lot of the other fare served up. Places already serve double, triple, and quadruple stacked sandwiches with bacon, cheese, and mayonnaise. If anything, this is a better option as it doesn't contain the nutritionally worthless bun.

Read somewhere that it is 540 calories though loadededededed with high sodium content.
I know people who have consumed it and they all thought it was fantastic. :nanner:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:26 am

But calories aren't everything. Nutritionists caution that consumers also should pay attention to the sandwich's salt and fat.

The Double Down has 1,380 milligrams of sodium (1,430 milligrams grilled). That's close to the American Heart Association's recommendation that adults eat less than 1,500 milligrams of sodium per day.
"This is not a healthy choice," said Walter Willett, chairman of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health.

While Willett said eliminating the white bread is a good thing to do, "what really sets this product apart is the incredible amount of sodium in one sandwich."

Elisa Zied, a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, said the 32 grams of fat is about half the total fat most Americans should be getting in an entire day. She also was concerned about the saturated fat content.

As long as you avoid the white bread it should be okay. ::doh::
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:55 am

I wonder how many calories are in an a Thurman burger and fries.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
But calories aren't everything. Nutritionists caution that consumers also should pay attention to the sandwich's salt and fat.

The Double Down has 1,380 milligrams of sodium (1,430 milligrams grilled). That's close to the American Heart Association's recommendation that adults eat less than 1,500 milligrams of sodium per day.
"This is not a healthy choice," said Walter Willett, chairman of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health.

While Willett said eliminating the white bread is a good thing to do, "what really sets this product apart is the incredible amount of sodium in one sandwich."

Elisa Zied, a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, said the 32 grams of fat is about half the total fat most Americans should be getting in an entire day. She also was concerned about the saturated fat content.

Yeah, not what I was saying. It's about equivalent to a quarter pounder with cheese and not quite as bad as a whopper, to say nothing of the double qp or double or triple whopper. Obviously anything you get from a fast food place is not going to be healthy.
aoxo1

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:08 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:

Yeah, not what I was saying. It's about equivalent to a quarter pounder with cheese and not quite as bad as a whopper, to say nothing of the double qp or double or triple whopper. Obviously anything you get from a fast food place is not going to be healthy.

Wasn't referring to your post at all. In the article I quoted, the chairman said that eliminating the white bread was a good thing.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:03 pm

My bad.
aoxo1

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I wonder how many calories are in an a Thurman burger and fries.

Some things are better left unknown. Only been 2 weeks since my last one and it been too long.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:00 pm

jack_tors wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I wonder how many calories are in an a Thurman burger and fries.

Some things are better left unknown. Only been 2 weeks since my last one and it been too long.

I try to eat there atleast once a month. The take out is great because during spring/summer/fall I can sit on my deck with the best burger on earth, a cold beer and the Indians on the radio.

Some people think it's pricey but I think it's a great value. A Bacon Burger and fries will last for two meals (unless I get hungry around midnight). The Hot & Spicy Salsa Burger is really good.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
jack_tors wrote:

I try to eat there atleast once a month. The take out is great because during spring/summer/fall I can sit on my deck with the best burger on earth, a cold beer and the Indians on the radio.

Some people think it's pricey but I think it's a great value. A Bacon Burger and fries will last for two meals (unless I get hungry around midnight). The Hot & Spicy Salsa Burger is really good.

I have no idea how people think its pricey. Chain restaurants and their shitty burgers cost the same amount if not more for a much lower quality item. I would kill to have a burger place like that by me.

I typically kill the burger but leave the fries or chips. Got the Rad Shroom burger last time down and it was killer. Next time down I am definitely getting the hot & spicy as I am trying to taste them all.

Take out seems to be the way to go since it seems even busier after the Man vs Food appearance. I should order take out then swing by Schmidt's and grab one of those cream puffs for dessert.

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:00 am

Liked my Therman's experience, but thought it was overrated burger-wise. I can make a pile of cheap meat, grease and so-so toppings at home just as good.

:hide:

The fries were awesome though.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:50 am

jb wrote:

Liked my Therman's experience, but thought it was overrated burger-wise. I can make a pile of cheap meat, grease and so-so toppings at home just as good.

:hide:

The fries were awesome though.

Seriously. Just GFTO.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:58 am

Alright, I have to get down the family down there for the youngest's soccer tournament May 28-30th.

I need to hit both Thurmans and Schmidts. Been to Columbus a 100 times to play ball myself at Berliner and never once ate either of those places.

That ends in May once one of you humps tells me how to get there :salute:

I saw the autobahn buffet on the menu but no price. The kids price for it $4.99

What do they get for adults and is it a place you can reasonably take kids to begin with?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Thurman Cafe is off Rt 23 (South High Street) on Thurman Avenue.

Schmidts is also off Rt 23 on East Kossuth St.

Mapquest is your friend Mr. McPeek.

I think the AutoBahn is $9.99

And yeah you can take kids there no problem, it's a fun family atmosphere. For adults they have the infamous "Das Boot".
Last edited by Cerebral_DownTime on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:19 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Thurman Cafe is off Rt 23 (South High Street) on Thurman Avenue.

And yeah you can take kids there no problem, it's a fun family atmosphere.

When the time gets closer and I know where the witches are playing I'll hit up Mapquest. I don't know many landmarks down there other than Berliner Park. How far from that?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:24 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Thurman Cafe is off Rt 23 (South High Street) on Thurman Avenue.

When the time gets closer and I know where the witches are playing I'll hit up Mapquest. I don't know many landmarks down there other than Berliner Park. How far from that?

10 minutes at most. Take Greenlawn Ave east which will run you into High St. Cross over High Street onto Thurman Ave to make it to Thurmans. Pretty easy drive.

For Schmidts, again take Greenlawn to High St and make a left onto High. Kossuth will be down a few blocks on your right. Should be an easy ride.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:29 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Thurmans is less than a mile from Berliner. It's actually a straight shot down Greenlawn over the river left on 23 quick right on Thurman Ave.

Schmidts might be 2 miles at most. Same thing as Thrumans, only follow it till Kossuth and make a right, it's on the corner of Kossuth and Purdy Alley (real name btw).

And I was wrong the Autobahn is 13.50 and it's only on the weekends btw.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Jack, you fucker beat me to it. I was digging the menu out of my super menu drawer.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Jack, you fucker beat me to it. I was digging the menu out of my super menu drawer.

Gotta be quicker on the draw, CDT!

Oh, Peeker, if you are going to Thurmans with the kids/family, strongly consider ordering take out, especially if on a weekend. The wait can be kinda long. When I was there, it was a 45 min wait for 2 people. Groups of 3 or 4 was even longer

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:45 pm

jack_tors wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Jack, you fucker beat me to it. I was digging the menu out of my super menu drawer.

Gotta be quicker on the draw, CDT!

Oh, Peeker, if you are going to Thurmans with the kids/family, strongly consider ordering take out, especially if on a weekend. The wait can be kinda long. When I was there, it was a 45 min wait for 2 people. Groups of 3 or 4 was even longer

Yeah take out and a meal at the park would be good. Weekend wait at Thurmans for a group is Melt like ridiculous.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:21 pm

I take back what I was thinking but never said about both of you guys. ;-) ;) :wink: :salute:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:36 pm

peeker643 wrote:I take back what I was thinking but never said about both of you guys. ;-) ;) :wink: :salute:

Just remember, you're coming down here, finding you won't be that hard. I'll just look for the guy in serious sunglasses with no hair and racquetball wrists.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I take back what I was thinking but never said about both of you guys. ;-) ;) :wink: :salute:

Just remember, you're coming down here, finding you won't be that hard. I'll just look for the guy in serious sunglasses with no hair and racquetball wrists.

I didn't get those wrists for racquetball CDT.

I mean, wait, yeah, that's from racquetball. Definitely.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:21 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

I didn't get those wrists for racquetball CDT.

I mean, wait, yeah, that's from racquetball. Definitely.

Oh I believe you.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry