Text Size

No Holds Barred

Huckabee: Gay marriage is equivalent to incest, polygamy

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Huckabee: Gay marriage is equivalent to incest, polygamy

Unread postby Watt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:40 pm

WASHINGTON – Mike Huckabee, a possible Republican presidential candidate in 2012, says the effort to allow gays and lesbians to marry is comparable to legalizing incest, polygamy and drug use.

Huckabee also told college journalists last week that gay couples should not be permitted to adopt. "Children are not puppies," he said.

Huckabee visited The College of New Jersey in Ewing, N.J., last Wednesday to speak to the Student Government Association. He also was interviewed by a campus news magazine, The Perspective, which published an article on Friday.

Huckabee told the interviewer that not every group's interests deserve to be accommodated, if their lifestyle is outside of what he called "the ideal."

"That would be like saying, well there's there are a lot of people who like to use drugs so let's go ahead and accommodate those who want to use drugs. There are some people who believe in incest, so we should accommodate them. There are people who believe in polygamy, should we accommodate them?" he said, according to a transcript of the interview.

The 2008 presidential hopeful and former Arkansas governor also said that deciding which lifestyles should be accommodated and which ones should not creates a slippery slope.

"Why do you get to choose that two men are OK but one man and three women aren't OK?" he asked.

Huckabee added that his goal isn't to tell others how to live, but that the burden of proving that a gay marriage can be successful rests with the activists in favor of changing the law.

"I don't have to prove that marriage is a man and a woman in a relationship for life," he said. "They have to prove that two men can have an equally definable relationship called marriage, and somehow that that can mean the same thing."

Since the magazine published the interview, Huckabee's remarks have attracted considerable attention on the Web.

In a statement Tuesday, Huckabee said that while he believes what people do in their private lives is their business, "I do not believe we should change the traditional definition of marriage." He also said he thought the college magazine was sensationalizing his "well-known and hardly unusual views of same-sex marriage."

In response to a 1992 questionnaire from The Associated Press, Huckabee, then a Senate candidate in Arkansas, spelled out his opposition to homosexuality, saying it was crucial that the country not "legitimize immorality."

"I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle," he wrote, in response to a question about gays in the military.

He also advocated isolating AIDS patients from the general public, saying it was necessary to confine "carriers of this plague."

As governor, Huckabee supported an Arkansas policy that prevented same-sex couples from serving as foster parents. On gay marriage, he said in an interview, "Marriage has historically never meant anything other than a man and a woman. It has never meant two men, two women, a man and his pet, or a man and a whole herd of pets."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100414/ap_ ... JlZWxpa2U-

Say goodbye to your nomination chances, Mike...
Watt
Talent On Loan From God

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Luis Valbuena

Re: Huckabee: Gay marriage is equivalent to incest, polygamy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Say goodbye to your nomination chances, Mike...

Wut?

If anything he's just saying what the Republican base thinks.

This won't hurt him at all in that regard.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:03 pm

I could at least see somebody making some sort of connection of homosexuality and incest in regards to said persons being messed up in the head, but polygamy, WTF is he talking about.

Just b/c you're gay and married doesn't mean you would be fooling around with other gay partners outside of your marriage.

His AIDS comment is just as retarded as his other comments.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:14 pm

What are Larry King marriages the equivilent of?
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:21 pm

I could at least see somebody making some sort of connection of homosexuality and incest in regards to said persons being messed up in the head,

What?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
I could at least see somebody making some sort of connection of homosexuality and incest in regards to said persons being messed up in the head,

What?

Other than Lee's there is no such thing as a gay gene.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:29 pm

FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

What?

Who the hell is Lee?

Never said there was a "gay gene", but being gay doesn't mean you're messed up in the head. It was already dismissed as being a mental disorder, in the late 70's I believe.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

What?

Who the hell is Lee?

Never said there was a "gay gene", but being gay doesn't mean you're messed up in the head. It was already dismissed as being a mental disorder, in the late 70's I believe.

Lee jeans, cmon now CDT you're quicker than that.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:37 pm

FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

What?

Who the hell is Lee?

It was a weird delivery, gene being singular and jeans being plural.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:51 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

What?

Who the hell is Lee?

If there is no gay gene, and homosexuality isn't a mental disorder (and I am not saying it is or isn't) then what in your opinion possesses somebody to go the route of homosexuality?

FUDU

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:56 pm

FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

What?

Who the hell is Lee?

If there is no gay gene, and homosexuality isn't a mental disorder (and I am not saying it is or isn't) then what in your opinion possesses somebody to go the route of homosexuality?

seeing that naked
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:00 pm

FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

What?

Who the hell is Lee?

Personally, I just think people like who they like. I like women because it's who I find attractive. I can't really explain it, it's just how it is.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby waborat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 pm

FUDU wrote:If there is no gay gene, and homosexuality isn't a mental disorder (and I am not saying it is or isn't) then what in your opinion possesses somebody to go the route of homosexuality?

My turn...

Soy & Tofu?
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Personally, I just think people like who they like. I like women because it's who I find attractive. I can't really explain it, it's just how it is.

I don't have time now but I'll get back to that reply, I personally do not think it is that simple seeing as men are men, if there is no genetic difference (outside of minor specs).

FUDU

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:41 pm

"I don't have to prove that marriage is a man and a woman in a relationship for life,"

I hope he'll support laws banning divorce, then. That's the biggest threat to marriage in this country.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:43 pm

I don't know about a gene, either, but there's this:

In other words, structurally, at least, the brains of gay men were more like heterosexual women, and gay women more like heterosexual men.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7456588.stm
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:27 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:I hope he'll support laws banning divorce, then. That's the biggest threat to marriage in this country.

No-fault divorce should absolutely be banned at the local and state level. Or at the very least modified so that a person can't file for divorce because she's bored or needs to "find herself" and then clean out the hapless SOB she's divorcing. If you're filing for divorce for reasons other than infidelity and abuse you should take out of the marriage what you can carry and nothing more.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Personally, I just think people like who they like. I like women because it's who I find attractive. I can't really explain it, it's just how it is.

Which is strong evidence for it being genetic. I mean, really, everything is. And don't forget, environment plays an equal role. It's not nature vs. nurture, it's nature and nurture.

Finding said genetic markers would be a vary dangerous proposition. Would republicans be for abortion if they new their fetus was going to be gay? If not, then how bad can being gay be, really? Gays are only bad if they are not your child.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:57 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:What are Larry King marriages the equivilent of?

infinity
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 pm

My guess is homosexuality is genetic. I think it will be a long time before that can be proven. And I think that a lot of anti gay groups will still find reasons to try to suppress the rights of gay people even after it is proven. So it goes.

Of course, I could be wrong. No other explanation of homosexuality (or heterosexuality) makes a whole hell of a lot of sense.

As far as Huckabee's thoughts on AIDS...c'mon, let's not pretend that what the guy thought and said about AIDS in 1992 is very relevant to what he probably thinks in 2010.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:38 am

Erie Warrior wrote:

Which is strong evidence for it being genetic. I mean, really, everything is. And don't forget, environment plays an equal role. It's not nature vs. nurture, it's nature and nurture.

Finding said genetic markers would be a vary dangerous proposition. Would republicans be for abortion if they new their fetus was going to be gay? If not, then how bad can being gay be, really? Gays are only bad if they are not your child.

Sorry I just don't buy the genetic angle one bit.

IMO many people become systematically gay, IOW they are just confused individuals and society sends them all the wrong messages in turn leading some people to make decisions that they are not sure of. I think many people just convince themselves they must be gay due to so many other life circumstances not lining up correctly as they do for most of society (in regards to opposite sex and the natural attraction or drive toward them). That is what I mean by it being a mental thing as opposed to genetic.

It is probably safe to say we all know someone growing up that never had a lot to do with the opposite sex while growing up, no GF or BF, maybe just seemed more comfortable around their same gender friends. Why, who knows, dozens of reasons I'm sure. In the end some of those people may be homosexuals as adults, doesn't mean it is b/c of genetics, maybe they never became confident in who they are and allowed themselves to be convinced they are in fact different, thereby going down an alternative/different road in life?

FUDU

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:21 pm

It's definitely a misstep for Huckabee, but like CDT said, it doesn't really deter his nomination chances at all. A good portion of the Republican base agrees with the overall theme of what he's saying, just not exactly in the manner that he says it.

Not making excuses for Huckabee, but he is a very devout religious man. It's one of the reasons I kind of shy away from him because I'm not a Christian Conservative and I'd have a hard time with Huckabee's constant use of religion as a deciding factor in policy matters.

On the debate of why people are homosexuals, it has to be purely genetic. In all honesty, it's a genetic defect. The human race has two chief objectives. Survival and procreation. That's ingrained in the human mind through all the generations of evolution. That's the way I look at it. It's obviously a huge alteration from the norm.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:56 am

To those people, it aboslutely is.

Propers to Mike for being honest and not spinning.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:06 am

hermanfontenot wrote:
exiledbuckeye wrote:I hope he'll support laws banning divorce, then. That's the biggest threat to marriage in this country.

No-fault divorce should absolutely be banned at the local and state level. Or at the very least modified so that a person can't file for divorce because she's bored or needs to "find herself" and then clean out the hapless SOB she's divorcing. If you're filing for divorce for reasons other than infidelity and abuse you should take out of the marriage what you can carry and nothing more.

My absolute fav part of the internets most of all is being lectured to on morals by 20 somethings.

A close second is tasing videos.

Both are hillarious, have a certain element of incredulousness when you watch them go down, make fools of the participants, and they never get old.
jb

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:05 am

FUDU wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

IMO many people become systematically gay, IOW they are just confused individuals and society sends them all the wrong messages in turn leading some people to make decisions that they are not sure of. I think many people just convince themselves they must be gay due to so many other life circumstances not lining up correctly as they do for most of society (in regards to opposite sex and the natural attraction or drive toward them). That is what I mean by it being a mental thing as opposed to genetic.

It is probably safe to say we all know someone growing up that never had a lot to do with the opposite sex while growing up, no GF or BF, maybe just seemed more comfortable around their same gender friends. Why, who knows, dozens of reasons I'm sure. In the end some of those people may be homosexuals as adults, doesn't mean it is b/c of genetics, maybe they never became confident in who they are and allowed themselves to be convinced they are in fact different, thereby going down an alternative/different road in life?

I thought girls were "pretty" far before any of the above could've taken place in my life. I think this is true of most of us. 2nd...3rd grade when I started to think this. Eons before I was ever rejected by a chick, affected by society or had anything close to thoughts about my future life, and its trials and tribulations.

Someone explain to LP why he caught wood looking at chicks and not dudes. I HAD ZERO CONTROL over this. I'd imagine it could easily happen the other way - and that would be out of my control as well.

One man's belief list from strongest to fiction.

1. Genetics
2. Santa Claus
3. Bible

And not to start a religiuos riot. I'm speaking of the bible, and the bible only.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:08 am

leadpipe wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

I thought girls were "pretty" far before any of the above could've taken place in my life. I think this is true of most of us. 2nd...3rd grade when I started to think this. Eons before I was ever rejected by a chick, affected by society or had anything close to thoughts about my future life, and its trials and tribulations.

Someone explain to LP why he caught wood looking at chicks and not dudes. I HAD ZERO CONTROL over this. I'd imagine it could easily happen the other way - and that would be out of my control as well.

One man's belief list from strongest to fiction.

1. Genetics
2. Santa Claus
3. Bible

And not to start a religiuos riot. I'm speaking of the bible, and the bible only.

When I was in first grade, Debbie McGhee made my hands all sweaty and not know how to talk. And I got this wierd feeling when she talked to other guys, like I was jelous.

No first grade boys ever got me to fel that way, then or since.

This tell me two things. I was genetically programed to be both hetero and to not be a priest.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:59 am

I still think Zima and Bud Lime have something to do with it.

They''re leading indicators if nothing else.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby waborat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:35 pm

[quote="leadpipe]

[/quote]

Ah, the ol' 2nd & 3rd grade wood...

What did it all mean?

Wasn't quite sure yet because I'd get it not only being close to girls, but also when I'd see the Spencer's sign in the mall, my geranimals were on too tight, someone would yell "Feel The Funk" and/or when I'd use Agree shampoo to "Get the greasies out"...

Hell, I still get it today whenever I think of the lil cuties near the Bonne Bell display @ Gold Circle
waborat

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Gold Circle

Oh wow, that brings me back to my childhood. That and Ground Round.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:42 am

I think it's both genetics and environmental factors. Could be one, the other, or a mixture of both.

Homosexuality happens in nature, does it not? (heard a few things about that here and there, don't feel like posting a link because I'm lazy) In that case, it's genetic or just happens NATURALLY. Whichever.

OR

Homosexuality can be brought on my environmental factors, how you are raised, etc. If you are raised in a society where everyone is gay, then you'll most likely turn gay.

OR a little bit of both.

Do I like basketball more than baseball because of genetics? Or is it because my dad always had basketball on the TV and we were always playing it outside?
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:21 pm

jb wrote:My absolute fav part of the internets most of all is being lectured to on morals by 20 somethings.

Both are hillarious, have a certain element of incredulousness when you watch them go down, make fools of the participants, and they never get old.

It would be pretty cool if you explained this random-ass post, JB.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:11 pm

My absolute fav part of the internets most of all is being lectured to on morals by 20 somethings.

...and U-toob train accidents. The High Speed Rail trains vs pedestrians are best
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby waborat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:10 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:My absolute fav part of the internets most of all is being lectured to on morals by 20 somethings.

...and U-toob train accidents. The High Speed Rail trains vs pedestrians are best

Flaming scrotums from gas illumination vids still kill me as well
waborat

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:38 pm

The cause of homosexuality (and baldness) has been discovered, thanks to one of Hugo Chavez' presidential buddies in South America.

Bolivian President Evo Morales says that GMOs (genetically modified crops and animals) are responsible for homosexuality and baldness

http://reason.com/blog/2010/04/21/moral ... ransgnicos
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:57 pm

jfiling wrote:The cause of homosexuality (and baldness) has been discovered, thanks to one of Hugo Chavez' presidential buddies in South America.

Bolivian President Evo Morales says that GMOs (genetically modified crops and animals) are responsible for homosexuality and baldness

http://reason.com/blog/2010/04/21/moral ... ransgnicos

Wow.

Michelle Bockman must be pissed she's in second place now.
jb

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:21 pm

The Huckster doesn't have a chance in the primary or general, even if he thinks he is pumping out conservative populism. I think there is a shift going on in our(conservative) base and it is away from some of the more hot button Christian Conservative issues and squarely into the fiscal conservative realm.

Sure you will still hear loud bombs thrown from the CC camp, but IMO they are no more expressive of the right then Sheehan and her ilk are of the left.

My opinion on the rehash gay/genetic debate follows closely to Tripods, and since he already wrote quite nicley what I would propose I will spare the audience any more of my blabbering...

OH, btw, no matter how I think gay people become gay, as long as they don't throw it in my face I could give 2 shits what they do in their own home. Same thing goes with hetero's...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Return to No Holds Barred