Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Conan will be on TBS in November

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Conan will be on TBS in November

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:40 pm

http://gawker.com/5515255/conan-obrien- ... n-with-tbs

Bumping Lopez to 12:00. Interesting how TBS is making a push into late night talk, and the Conan signing is brilliant.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Conan will be on TBS in November

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Happy that Conan is gonna have a platform, just dunno how I feel about that platform. TBS ain't exactly a factory for quality original programming (I'm looking at you, House of Payne and Meet the Browns). Guess Murdoch didn't wanna let go of the Seinfeld reruns cashcow.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby Cease » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:26 pm

There is no worse show on TV than Lopez Tonight. It's straight hack. TBS doing him a huge favor getting him a lead in.

Good for Conan, just wish the would have pulled the plug on G-Lo. Must have been an expensive plug to pull.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:03 pm

I love Conan, and I understand the reasoning behind going to TBS (supposedly a budget comparable to the Tonight Show, ownership of the program, and a station that skews demographically young). That being said, I would have loved to have seen him get a flashier gig with the same terms on Fox. I don't know, it just seems like such a demotion to go from hosting the Tonight Show to following up reruns of Family Guy and The Office and being the lead-in to George Lopez on a basic cable channel. He'll make it work and it'll be great, but it just won't have the prestige I feel he's earned. Like I said, I love the guy and I just want to see him succeed. If there were any justice in the world, it would be Jay Leno announcing he got this gig, not Conando.

The other sucky part is that he apparently won't even be on at all on Fridays, the one night I can actually stay up to watch him. I guess I better be sure there's room on the DVR each night!
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:24 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:I love Conan, and I understand the reasoning behind going to TBS (supposedly a budget comparable to the Tonight Show, ownership of the program, and a station that skews demographically young). That being said, I would have loved to have seen him get a flashier gig with the same terms on Fox. I don't know, it just seems like such a demotion to go from hosting the Tonight Show to following up reruns of Family Guy and The Office and being the lead-in to George Lopez on a basic cable channel. He'll make it work and it'll be great, but it just won't have the prestige I feel he's earned. Like I said, I love the guy and I just want to see him succeed. If there were any justice in the world, it would be Jay Leno announcing he got this gig, not Conando.

The other sucky part is that he apparently won't even be on at all on Fridays, the one night I can actually stay up to watch him. I guess I better be sure there's room on the DVR each night!

Adverb - I can't cite the link, but I recall one of Conan's biggest issues was his lack of pull in the blue states' demographic. His humor wasn't dug and the local affiliates got lots of grief and low ratings. Local stations keep al the ad revenue for those reruns. Now imagine Fax being even more of that demographic than NBC.

I just don't see a good fit. Conan isn't mainstream enough. people are addicted to the old Tonite Show format that John started and Jay nurtures. That said, I hope Conan can have more freedom at TBS to push things harder.

I still think Chelsea Handler is 10 times funnier than any of them, though.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 pm

jb wrote:Adverb - I can't cite the link, but I recall one of Conan's biggest issues was his lack of pull in the blue states' demographic. His humor wasn't dug and the local affiliates got lots of grief and low ratings. Local stations keep al the ad revenue for those reruns. Now imagine Fax being even more of that demographic than NBC.

I just don't see a good fit. Conan isn't mainstream enough. people are addicted to the old Tonite Show format that John started and Jay nurtures. That said, I hope Conan can have more freedom at TBS to push things harder.

You almost certainly have this backwards.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:05 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
jb wrote:Adverb - I can't cite the link, but I recall one of Conan's biggest issues was his lack of pull in the blue states' demographic. His humor wasn't dug and the local affiliates got lots of grief and low ratings. Local stations keep al the ad revenue for those reruns. Now imagine Fax being even more of that demographic than NBC.

Yep.

That said, IMO, Conan is making a mistake butting heads directly w/ Stewart. That is his demo.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:31 pm

The Daily Show and Colbert Report are much better than Conan.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Loo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:13 pm

A buddy of mine got me to watch the last show, and I became a fan instantly.

The time slow is interesting though. I know plenty of people who tried to watch Stewart-Colbert-Coco back-to-back-back a year or two ago.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:32 pm

The Arnold one, or the Dolph Lundgren one?

jfiling wrote:
Bumping Lopez to 12:00. Interesting how TBS is making a push into late night talk, and the Conan signing is brilliant.

Seriously, O'Brien was not very relevant at NBC. I agree that this makes him moreso for a younger audience, but not sure he'll gain any additional viewers at that time slot.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:30 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
jfiling wrote:

Seriously, O'Brien was not very relevant at NBC. I agree that this makes him moreso for a younger audience, but not sure he'll gain any additional viewers at that time slot.

True enough re: The Tonight Show. I think on basic cable he's going to drag in the younger demo that TBS craves. I wasn't saying he'll steal Leno or Letterman geezers, but he will bring in a nice targeted audience for the advertisers, which is what basic cable always seems to be about.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Great, now his jacked up grill will be popping up between every pitch during the baseball playoffs.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:37 pm

aoxo1 wrote:

Ooops.

I mean red as you say.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture