Text Size

College Sports Arena

SPRING GAME

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

SPRING GAME

Unread postby yargs7 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:52 am

Does anyone know if the Ohio State spring game is going to be televised? If so, nationally?
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby furls » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:13 pm

I doubt it would be televised nationally. I am sure it will be on here in columbus though.

I am hearing some very good things about the team's spring practice. It appears as though the secondary will recover nicely.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby yargs7 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:36 am

Thanks Furls,

I was just wondering because ESPN televised Oklahoma's spring game last Saturday.

Who is making a run at the starting spots in the secondary? Any word on how Jamario O'neal is looking? He is one of best high school players I have ever seen..and growing up in Northeast Ohio, I have seen ALOT of great ones.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:11 am

Dont they usually have it on that ONN channel?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:05 pm

O'neal is straight kicking ass according to early reports and Brandon Mitchell has been VERY promising also. Look for those two to start in the secondary this year and make an impact.
Last edited by furls on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:08 pm

Furls wrote:neal is straight kicking ass according to early reports and Brandon Mitchell has been VERY promising also. Look for those two to start in the secondary this year and make an impact.

Furls, I read a column in the PD about some kid that is allegedly likely to relegate Mitchell to the nickel role. I found that suprising, figured he was a lock to be one of the key starters in this years secondary.

I'll try and find the link.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yargs7 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:25 pm

I think Kerr and Freeman are locks to start at MLB and OLB, leaving the other OLB job up for grabs. Word has it Laurianitis has the upper hand for now.

Laurinitis, JUCO xfer Grant, frosh Homan (who I read has turned some heads this spring), D'Andrea, and a few longshots are guys I would really love to watch in spring camp.

Anyone have any info/thoughts on this position battle?
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby furls » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Furls, I read a column in the PD about some kid that is allegedly likely to relegate Mitchell to the nickel role. I found that suprising, figured he was a lock to be one of the key starters in this years secondary.

I would be interested in seeing this also. All reports here out of columbus have been VERY favorable for Mitchell who had to be seen as a front runner for a spot in the starting secondary. He is the most "experienced" player left in the secondary and actually did see a fair amount of time last year.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:25 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/osufootball/pl ... xml&coll=2

Secondary primary for Bucks

Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Doug Lesmerises
Plain Dealer Reporter

Columbus -- Antonio Smith walked on at Ohio State with an academic scholarship. He's a mechanical engineering major who has been a Buckeye for four seasons, along the way establishing himself as a special teams demon in three seasons on the field.

Right now, he's a starting cornerback. A starting cornerback who switched back from safety, who has never really played defense and who qualifies -- in the secondary Ohio State will send out there in the fall -- as a savvy veteran.

The other starting corner, Malcolm Jenkins, started four times as a freshman last season, and played key downs as the nickelback. But no one else has ever started on defense -- not sophomore safeties Jamario O'Neal from Glenville High or Nick Patterson, nor freshman nickelback Anderson Russell.

The changes have made for an interesting spring for safeties coach Paul Haynes and cornerbacks coach Tim Boeckman. But the coaches say they're having a jolly old time teaching. Athletically, they say this secondary matches up with seniors Tyler Everett and Nate Salley and juniors Donte Whitner and Ashton Youboty, who both declared for the NFL draft a year early and could be first-round picks.

"I think they're going to be great," Haynes said Tuesday after the Buckeyes completed their eighth practice of the spring, with seven remaining. "Across the board, they're strong, they're physically impressive and they can all run."

Though not set in stone, the starters have already done the right things to earn their spots.

Jenkins: The only player with a starting spot waiting for him in the secondary. "He's been in the fire," Boeckman said. "To jump in there as an 18-year-old freshman, the experience he gained against Texas, to start against Penn State . . . he knows what he's doing."

Smith: He just earned his first football scholarship starting with spring quarter, and now he's a starter and had the best performance in the jersey scrimmage among the corners. "He's one of those kids that does everything right, on and off the field," Boeckman said. at anybody else would have."

O'Neal: It's natural to want to compare him to Whitner, two Glenville grads playing the same position. That's not fair yet. "Their energy is a little bit the same, but Donte's was a lot higher," Haynes said. "But he's playing right, which he wasn't even in bowl practice. So he's come a long way with doing the right things and being in the right spots."

Patterson: He jumped over more experienced senior Brandon Mitchell. "Brandon has to be more productive and we've got to see it if he wants to play," Haynes said. "Nick had a great winter workout. He competed his butt off and was always first in line and communicated well and I think he deserves it."

Russell: O'Neal's backup at strong safety has the cover skills to come in as the nickelback, a spot that's like a 12th starter in Ohio State's defense. "He will bring us [Whitner's] energy," Haynes said. "He plays 100 miles per hour, he just has to get it under control."

Bucknotes:

Defensive tackle Sian Cotton, a former star at St. Vincent-St. Mary, will transfer after the spring quarter, his mother, Debra, said Tuesday night.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

dlesmerises@plaind.com, 216-999-4479
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:55 pm

Nick Patterson is a good player, but I do not think ultimately he will keep that starting job come August. I may be wrong, and I am sure that he will in fact see the field. He is a very solid player, but honestly, Brandon Mitchell has been the go to guy when the Bucks have had injuries in the secondary.

Spring practice has a way of misleading people either deliberately or accidentally. Remember Justin Zwick's spring in 2004?
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena