Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Godfather

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Godfather

Unread postby redneckofsc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:24 pm

So I finally saw the movie The Godfather for the first time...all i can say is: "Bad ass movie."

Mafia movies are usually my favorite movies to watch. Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, The Untouchables, Donnie Brasco, Carlito's Way, Miller's Crossing, Road to Perdition, and Casino were all bad ass.

I dont have a lot of time to watch tv, and I dont have the patience to sit through a three hour movie. I actually had to watch this in three parts.

Anyways, it was definetly one of the best movies I have ever seen.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
User avatar
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: W/ Russell Branyan
Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:27 pm

Best movie ever made. Only other film in the same stratosphere IMO is Godfather II. Big drop off to the #3 all time film in my mind.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17877
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Mafia movies are your favorite movies... and it took you til now to watch the greatest of them all?!
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:46 pm

redneckofsc wrote:So I finally saw the movie The Godfather for the first time...all i can say is: "Bad ass movie."

Mafia movies are usually my favorite movies to watch. Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, The Untouchables, Donnie Brasco, Carlito's Way, Miller's Crossing, Road to Perdition, and Casino were all bad ass.

I dont have a lot of time to watch tv, and I dont have the patience to sit through a three hour movie. I actually had to watch this in three parts.

Anyways, it was definetly one of the best movies I have ever seen.


Being a Russell Branyan fan I figured you more for a 'Twister' fan.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22504
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby redneckofsc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:53 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
redneckofsc wrote:So I finally saw the movie The Godfather for the first time...all i can say is: "Bad ass movie."

Mafia movies are usually my favorite movies to watch. Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, The Untouchables, Donnie Brasco, Carlito's Way, Miller's Crossing, Road to Perdition, and Casino were all bad ass.

I dont have a lot of time to watch tv, and I dont have the patience to sit through a three hour movie. I actually had to watch this in three parts.

Anyways, it was definetly one of the best movies I have ever seen.


Being a Russell Branyan fan I figured you more for a 'Twister' fan.



So does that mean your favorite movie is Willow?
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
User avatar
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: W/ Russell Branyan
Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:58 pm

redneckofsc wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
redneckofsc wrote:So I finally saw the movie The Godfather for the first time...all i can say is: "Bad ass movie."

Mafia movies are usually my favorite movies to watch. Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, The Untouchables, Donnie Brasco, Carlito's Way, Miller's Crossing, Road to Perdition, and Casino were all bad ass.

I dont have a lot of time to watch tv, and I dont have the patience to sit through a three hour movie. I actually had to watch this in three parts.

Anyways, it was definetly one of the best movies I have ever seen.


Being a Russell Branyan fan I figured you more for a 'Twister' fan.



So does that mean your favorite movie is Willow?


If you're comparing Jamey Carroll to Billy Barty well played sir. I see myself as more of a 'Princess Bride' guy. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22504
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:09 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Mafia movies are your favorite movies... and it took you til now to watch the greatest of them all?!


I was thinking the same thing on the original post?

And how pray tell, did it take you 3 takes to watch this classic? There are very few things more important to do then watch this every 6 years or so...

Start watching Part 2 this weekend and I'll check back for your review around Flag Day...

With that said, I am glad you respected the family
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:20 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
I see myself as more of a 'Princess Bride' guy. ;-) ;) :wink:


Ahh, so that's why your vanity plates say BUTRCUP :lmfao:
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Poor Peek getting smacked around.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14421
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:31 pm

waborat wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
I see myself as more of a 'Princess Bride' guy. ;-) ;) :wink:


Ahh, so that's why your vanity plates say BUTRCUP :lmfao:


"Inconceivable!!"
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22504
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:37 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
waborat wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
I see myself as more of a 'Princess Bride' guy. ;-) ;) :wink:


Ahh, so that's why your vanity plates say BUTRCUP :lmfao:


"Inconceivable!!"


"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14421
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:57 am

The only thing I did not like about it was that three of the main characters (Brandon, Caan, and Vigoda) arent even Italian.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
User avatar
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: W/ Russell Branyan
Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby waborat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:21 am

redneckofsc wrote:The only thing I did not like about it was that three of the main characters (Brandon, Caan, and Vigoda) arent even Italian.


God, I can't stand bad casting either...

Totally ruined my experiences when I found out:

-Liam Neeson wasn't German

-Dustin Hoffman wasn't a chick

-Arnold wasn't a cyborg

::doh::
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:46 am

waborat wrote:
redneckofsc wrote:The only thing I did not like about it was that three of the main characters (Brandon, Caan, and Vigoda) arent even Italian.


God, I can't stand bad casting either...

Totally ruined my experiences when I found out:

-Liam Neeson wasn't German

-Dustin Hoffman wasn't a chick

-Arnold wasn't a cyborg

::doh::


But Caan and Brando didnt even look or sound Italian.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
User avatar
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: W/ Russell Branyan
Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby waborat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:10 am

redneckofsc wrote:
waborat wrote:
redneckofsc wrote:The only thing I did not like about it was that three of the main characters (Brandon, Caan, and Vigoda) arent even Italian.


God, I can't stand bad casting either...

Totally ruined my experiences when I found out:

-Liam Neeson wasn't German

-Dustin Hoffman wasn't a chick

-Arnold wasn't a cyborg

::doh::


But Caan and Brando didnt even look or sound Italian.


Mr Mumbles was fine, looked more Italian then some Italians I know (minus the diamonds)...

Caan's look? Yes, it looked like he lost his yarmulke and was pissed cause he couldn't find it

Good grief though, you woulda really been jacked if the Redford or ONeill got the roles like the studio wanted
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:37 am

waborat wrote:
redneckofsc wrote:
waborat wrote:
redneckofsc wrote:The only thing I did not like about it was that three of the main characters (Brandon, Caan, and Vigoda) arent even Italian.


God, I can't stand bad casting either...

Totally ruined my experiences when I found out:

-Liam Neeson wasn't German

-Dustin Hoffman wasn't a chick

-Arnold wasn't a cyborg

::doh::


But Caan and Brando didnt even look or sound Italian.


Mr Mumbles was fine, looked more Italian then some Italians I know (minus the diamonds)...

Caan's look? Yes, it looked like he lost his yarmulke and was pissed cause he couldn't find it

Good grief though, you woulda really been jacked if the Redford or ONeill got the roles like the studio wanted



I am not saying they werent good at their parts, because they were.

Who is Oneil?
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
User avatar
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: W/ Russell Branyan
Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby waborat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:24 pm

redneckofsc wrote:Who is Oneil?


Ryan ONeill was coming off of Love Story and the studio wanted him or Redford as Michael...

FFC fought for Pacino and the rest is history
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby swerb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Caan and Brando were both brilliant, and pulled off the paizan roles fine.

The real casting travesty, maybe the greatest casting travesty ever was Godfather III. Andy Garcia, Joe Mantegna, and Coppola's daughter. Worst part was, storyline in III wasn't bad. Casting ruined it. Put some taint to the trilogy as a whole.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17877
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:30 pm

swerb wrote:Caan and Brando were both brilliant, and pulled off the paizan roles fine.

The real casting travesty, maybe the greatest casting travesty ever was Godfather III. Andy Garcia, Joe Mantegna, and Coppola's daughter. Worst part was, storyline in III wasn't bad. Casting ruined it. Put some taint to the trilogy as a whole.


Smaller role but Talia Shire was the beneficiary of the gene pool landing her part.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22504
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby swerb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
swerb wrote:Caan and Brando were both brilliant, and pulled off the paizan roles fine.

The real casting travesty, maybe the greatest casting travesty ever was Godfather III. Andy Garcia, Joe Mantegna, and Coppola's daughter. Worst part was, storyline in III wasn't bad. Casting ruined it. Put some taint to the trilogy as a whole.


Smaller role but Talia Shire was the beneficiary of the gene pool landing her part.

Yeah, she was a mess too, especially in III. The whole thing was a mess outside of some bright spots from a grayed over Pacino (just when I think that I'm out ... they PUUUUUUULLLL me back in), and the scene where Vincent whacks Joey Zaza ("ZaZa" .. bang). The whole cousin love thing between Vincent and Coppola's daughter was just weird.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17877
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:04 pm

swerb wrote:Caan and Brando were both brilliant, and pulled off the paizan roles fine.

The real casting travesty, maybe the greatest casting travesty ever was Godfather III. Andy Garcia, Joe Mantegna, and Coppola's daughter. Worst part was, storyline in III wasn't bad. Casting ruined it. Put some taint to the trilogy as a whole.


Agree X 1000. Godfather III needs an asterisk. It really doesn't count, at least in my mind, as part of the series. I and II are back to back two of the best couplet of movies ever made.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3632
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby waborat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:22 pm

There are times when I think II was better...

The flashbacks with DeNiro & Bruno Kirby were great...I think that's why I love Once Upon A Time In America so much because it reminds me of those scenes?

Watching Pacino with his mentor Lee Strasberg was sheer genius...

Greatest sequel ever made...

"I don't feel I have to wipe everybody out, Tom, just my enemies"

******

As far as part III goes? I agree with Swerb that the story was fine, but the casting needed help...

I was worried the year before it came out when it was announced that they couldn't come to an agreement with Robert Duvall...big miss for both parties...

Also, hearing that Winona Ryder dropped out only 2 weeks before shooting as Mary...FFC really didn't have much choice but to give it to Sophie and I agree with Peek that Talia Shire mighta been an even worse addition? She was the statue and Soph was the mime ...And let's not forget that Father Guido Sarducci and George "I'm tan & I suck" Hamilton was in it as well...

Unfortunately, FFC had some problems shooting it as well...SPOILER AHEAD: check out the scene where Vincent goes after Zaza, there's blood on the door before he gets shot...nice

Still overall, I think it's a nice tie up to a great trilogy...the final scenes in during the opera were great and we get the closure to cinema's greatest family
Last edited by waborat on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:34 am

waborat wrote:There are times when I think II was better...

The flashbacks with DeNiro & Bruno Kirby were great...I think that's why I love Once Upon A Time In America so much because it reminds me of those scenes?

Watching Pacino with his mentor Lee Strasberg was sheer genius...

Greatest sequel ever made...

"I don't feel I have to wipe everybody out, Tom, just my enemies"

That is a classic line. And I think without a doubt, Pacino's acting performance in II is the greatest acting performance ever. Ever. I still slightly favor I as the better movie. The story is just so great ... you kinda lose the perspective of how great it was at the time in the wake of all the mobster TV shows and movies that have since come out. They're all modeled in some respect after the Godfather, and The Sopranos was famous for the almost constant homages to the films. Brando, Caan, Duval ... all so strong. The countless classic lines still used today. And the transformation Pacino goes through as Michael is just amazing.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17877
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:55 am

swerb wrote:And I think without a doubt, Pacino's acting performance in II is the greatest acting performance ever. Ever.


The scene where Kay tells him what happened to the baby pretty much clinched it for me...

Chilling
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:15 am

waborat wrote:
swerb wrote:And I think without a doubt, Pacino's acting performance in II is the greatest acting performance ever. Ever.


The scene where Kay tells him what happened to the baby pretty much clinched it for me...

Chilling

"And it WAS A BOY MICHAEL! A BOY!"

Classic ...

:pop:
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17877
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:42 am

waborat wrote:The flashbacks with DeNiro & Bruno Kirby were great...I think that's why I love Once Upon A Time In America so much because it reminds me of those scenes?


+1 Watching Once Upon a Time I felt the same way.

Finally got the wife to submit to watching The Godfather a couple weekends ago. Believe me, she was not thrilled at the idea of watching it by I reminded her of the movies I sat through with her. By the end of the movie she was hooked. Since then she has watched Goodfellas and A Bronx Tale. We will work on The Godfather II in a couple weeks. I told her it was even better that the first one.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
waborat wrote:The flashbacks with DeNiro & Bruno Kirby were great...I think that's why I love Once Upon A Time In America so much because it reminds me of those scenes?


+1 Watching Once Upon a Time I felt the same way.

Finally got the wife to submit to watching The Godfather a couple weekends ago. Believe me, she was not thrilled at the idea of watching it by I reminded her of the movies I sat through with her. By the end of the movie she was hooked. Since then she has watched Goodfellas and A Bronx Tale. We will work on The Godfather II in a couple weeks. I told her it was even better that the first one.


That's a good woman Larv...

Watching GF was a prerequisite for my wife before I'd sleep with her (inlove)
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby General » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:42 am

My wife had to watch it as a training manual to join a Sicilian Family.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
User avatar
General
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Pensacola
Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby redneckofsc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:57 am

what did you think of Cop Land?

To me it was a bad ass movie. Stallone didnt really fit the role, but Deniro, Patrick, and Keitel were all bad ass, and Liotta is my favorite actor.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
User avatar
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: W/ Russell Branyan
Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby waborat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:08 pm

redneckofsc wrote:what did you think of Cop Land?

To me it was a bad ass movie. Stallone didnt really fit the role, but Deniro, Patrick, and Keitel were all bad ass, and Liotta is my favorite actor.


It's either a love it or hate it film...

Personally, liked it quite a bit...

Funny that you didn't like SS, because I think that might be his best acting of his career?

Great casting sans Garolfalo...

"I gave you a chance to be a cop and you blew it"...

Ever see Liotta in Something Wild???
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:31 pm

redneckofsc wrote:what did you think of Cop Land?

To me it was a bad ass movie. Stallone didnt really fit the role, but Deniro, Patrick, and Keitel were all bad ass, and Liotta is my favorite actor.

Like wab said, a lot of people hated that film. I loved it. I could even buy Stallone as the dump dopey cop. DeNiro, Keitel, Liotta ... all casted perfectly. Three of my favorites as well.

Also as wab said, the DeNiro "you blew it" scene was classic. "Case is over" ... throwing shit in boxes.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17877
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:20 pm

I got "Godfather III" from Netflix to watch again to see if I missed something. In the director's commentary, FFC said something to the effect that he made it in such a way to ensure there would be no "Godfather IV".

And that Duvall backed off after seeing the script.
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:47 pm

I don't revere the movie as most do, great movie yeah, best ever, eh. But Caan's role as Sonny might be the most underrated performance ever. Caan did an awesome job in that role, Sonny is just down right an awesome character. Not enough of him in the movie IMO.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13350
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:31 pm

OK I have to say it

I met Gianni Russo. Even had a drink with him.

He had a small club in Vegas named after himself and he used to sing there. Had a great voice and played the Vegas Mob-linked Lounge Show Slots In the Background Singer Host schtick real well.

My wife used to work in an ad agency and we went there as a group on occasion cuz he was either a client or friend, I forget, of David Humm, a PR guy in the agency. Most would remember Humm as an excellent place holder for the Raiders and a real cool guy who flaunted his two SB Rings and would remind everyone of the fact that he had 770 total career passing yds...
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby redneckofsc » Tue May 04, 2010 9:43 am

Finally got around to watching Godfather Part 2. I like the first one better, but this one was still bad ass. Two of the best movies I have ever seen.

Al Pacino's acting has got to be the best role I have ever seen. Deniro was awesome too.

Also watched Part 3. Not near as good as the 1st two, but still good. I didn't really like the story line, and Sophia Coppola's acting was litteraly the worst I have ever seen from anyone. Even worse than the actors in those $50,000 budget horror films.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
User avatar
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: W/ Russell Branyan
Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 04, 2010 9:49 am

Pacino's performance in II is the greatest acting performance ever. Hands down. Like the difference between Jerry Rice and the 2nd best NFL WR.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17877
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby davemanddd » Thu May 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
waborat wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
I see myself as more of a 'Princess Bride' guy. ;-) ;) :wink:


Ahh, so that's why your vanity plates say BUTRCUP :lmfao:


"Inconceivable!!"


"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."


it's a line from "the princess bride" that the sicilian with the lisp kept using. he gets in a battle of wits with wesley and keeps saying "inconceivable" like sylvester the cat would say.

hilarious!!!

you have to see the movie to truly appreciate it, just like the godfather.

i can't believe i had never watched this movie until just a few weeks ago when i had my wife get it for me at the library. i had no idea what i had been missing all these years, but now that i've watched it, i'm glad i finally did.

i can see why it won best picture as it is truly a masterpiece. the only thing i didn't like was the cheezy fight between james caan and the brother-in-law.

talk about a phantom punch.

i thought the coolest part was when the movie producer woke up in bed and his prize racehorse's head was there. see what happens when you refuse an offer you can't refuse???
dave . . .
davemanddd
 
Posts: 2043
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:07 pm
Location: mansfield, ohio
Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby The Brook » Thu May 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Has anyone read the book?? Its pretty crazy because all of the flashbacks that were in part Godfather II (the movie) were in the book. However none of the present scenes in Godfather II were in the book at all. The book ended the same as the first Godfather movie. So the book is actually flashing back and forth between the Godfather (the movie) and the past of Godfather II (the movie). So for some reason when doing the screenplays Mario Puzo decided to take the flashbacks out of part one and write more script for part II and include the flashbacks. About the only other difference is that in the book there is a much larger story dealing with Johnny Fontane. The end of the book is soooooooo much better than the end of Godfather (the movie). Just seems like it goes by too quick in the movie, but other than that the movie is amazing.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:40 pm
Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby pup » Mon May 10, 2010 11:14 am

The Brook wrote:Has anyone read the book?? Its pretty crazy because all of the flashbacks that were in part Godfather II (the movie) were in the book. However none of the present scenes in Godfather II were in the book at all. The book ended the same as the first Godfather movie. So the book is actually flashing back and forth between the Godfather (the movie) and the past of Godfather II (the movie). So for some reason when doing the screenplays Mario Puzo decided to take the flashbacks out of part one and write more script for part II and include the flashbacks. About the only other difference is that in the book there is a much larger story dealing with Johnny Fontane. The end of the book is soooooooo much better than the end of Godfather (the movie). Just seems like it goes by too quick in the movie, but other than that the movie is amazing.


Haven't read The Godfather, but The Godfather Returns was solid. Fills in a lot of time voids from between the movies.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12004
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: The Godfather

Unread postby waborat » Mon May 10, 2010 6:00 pm

pup wrote:
The Brook wrote:Has anyone read the book?? Its pretty crazy because all of the flashbacks that were in part Godfather II (the movie) were in the book. However none of the present scenes in Godfather II were in the book at all. The book ended the same as the first Godfather movie. So the book is actually flashing back and forth between the Godfather (the movie) and the past of Godfather II (the movie). So for some reason when doing the screenplays Mario Puzo decided to take the flashbacks out of part one and write more script for part II and include the flashbacks. About the only other difference is that in the book there is a much larger story dealing with Johnny Fontane. The end of the book is soooooooo much better than the end of Godfather (the movie). Just seems like it goes by too quick in the movie, but other than that the movie is amazing.


Haven't read The Godfather, but The Godfather Returns was solid. Fills in a lot of time voids from between the movies.


I probably read the original 25 years ago or so?

Great read and pretty much true to films 1 & 2...

TGF Returns has been on my shelf collecting dust from the day I bought it so I'll hafta bring it down and give it a look this summer
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps


Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest