Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Zydrunas Buyout Watch

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Zydrunas Buyout Watch

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:53 pm

I don't think sending him to the D-League takes him off the roster.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Peeker643 wrote:I don't think sending him to the D-League takes him off the roster.

It doesn't.

I'd rather keep D Block and send Telfair walking. What good does he have to the team this year with Mo, Delonte, Boobie and even LeBron and AP ahead of him at PG? He doesn't know our offense and will never get any meaningful minutes once he's healthy.

He's as much use as D Block you might say, but I think D Block at least has a chance to be the last big in the rotation in the future after Shaq and Z get put down.

Just next year it could be Andy, JJ, Jamison, Powe and D Block. Telfair doesn't crack the rotation.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:51 pm

I am not Macphisto when it comes to the cap stuff, but wouldnt it make sense to buy out Telfair and save that 2.7 on next years salary and luxury tax (is there a savings this year as well?) and keep Green and D-Block? You buy him out now for say 3.5 mil and you at worst save 2.7 in luxury taxes next year (not sure on the numbers just talking outloud). I dont see how it makes sense to keep Telfair instead of Green, as long as Gilbert has the cash flow to make it happen, which I imagine he does.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby scott » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:18 pm

NEOLeo wrote:Just next year it could be Andy, JJ, Jamison, Powe and D Block.

This rotation is way too small. They have to find someone bigger to defend guys like Dewey, meaning D Block still won't have a spot in any rotation.

NEOLeo wrote:Telfair doesn't crack the rotation.

Bassy expires next year, making him a trade chip. With all due respect to D Jax and D Green, have either shown something that isn't a dime-a-dozen in the D-League?

From Hollinger -
Jackson is listed at 6-9 but that's being generous. He's really an undersized 4 who probably needs to improve as an outside shooter for his career to gain much traction.

You can't throw a rock in Bismark, ND and not hit an undersized 4 who can't shoot.

Then you've got a 2 guard who can't create his own shot. I like Danny but there are plenty of these guys in Europe.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:43 pm

scott wrote:

This rotation is way too small. They have to find someone bigger to defend guys like Dewey, meaning D Block still won't have a spot in any rotation.

Bassy expires next year, making him a trade chip. With all due respect to D Jax and D Green, have either shown something that isn't a dime-a-dozen in the D-League?

From Hollinger -
Jackson is listed at 6-9 but that's being generous. He's really an undersized 4 who probably needs to improve as an outside shooter for his career to gain much traction.

You can't throw a rock in Bismark, ND and not hit an undersized 4 who can't shoot.

Then you've got a 2 guard who can't create his own shot. I like Danny but there are plenty of these guys in Europe.

Fair points and I really care less either way. The chances of any of them ever being a solid rotation player is pretty low so it probably doesn't matter but I see D Block and Green helping us more than Telfair ever would (outside of the expiring contract of course).

Six foot point guards that can't shoot are a dime a dozen too, no?

Also remember that Leon Powe is on borrowed time.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby scott » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:11 pm

NEOLeo wrote:
scott wrote:

From Hollinger -

Fair points and I really care less either way. The chances of any of them ever being a solid rotation player is pretty low so it probably doesn't matter but I see D Block and Green helping us more than Telfair ever would (outside of the expiring contract of course).

Six foot point guards that can't shoot are a dime a dozen too, no?

Also remember that Leon Powe is on borrowed time.

Telfair isn't a point guard, he's an expiring contract.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Bump.

This is happening Monday...no?
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Hoover » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:53 pm

bookelly wrote:Bump.

This is happening Monday...no?

Yes he's supposed to be back on the 22nd. So he'll have a few weeks to get tuned up for the Playoffs.
Hoover

Unread postby davemanddd » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:46 am

i can't believe we are talking about what is in essence the 15th man on the roster being let go as if it's the end of the world. can somebody please tell me how much playing time that d-block has got since z was traded and shaq went out with his thumb injury??? yeah, that's what i thought. trust me when i tell you this, no other team is going to even bother picking the guy up anyway, so what's the problem in letting him go??? if someone else gets injured, they can always let danny green go and re-sign him to a 10-day contract.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:16 pm

davemanddd wrote:i can't believe we are talking about what is in essence the 15th man on the roster being let go as if it's the end of the world. can somebody please tell me how much playing time that d-block has got since z was traded and shaq went out with his thumb injury??? yeah, that's what i thought. trust me when i tell you this, no other team is going to even bother picking the guy up anyway, so what's the problem in letting him go??? if someone else gets injured, they can always let danny green go and re-sign him to a 10-day contract.

Dude, they ain't close to thinking about letting Danny Green go.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby tired » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 am

What time is Z expected to sign today ???
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:45 am

tired wrote:What time is Z expected to sign today ???

1:28 pm
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:07 am

When Leon "1 trick 1 leg" PoweP gets meaningful minutes ahead of you, it means that you're essentially useless. I like Dblock, but the organization made it clear when they drafted him that he was a low risk/low reward type player. Would play hard, but had pretty much reached his ceiling and was a fill in. His minutes this year showed how little they trusted him on the court.

Green may have seen minutes if Jawad hadn't proved serviceable. Either way, could give a crap about guys that will be waving towels and cheerleading in 3 weeks anyway. This season cant get over fast enough.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:25 am

Gradysmanldy wrote:
Green may have seen minutes if Jawad hadn't proved serviceable. Either way, could give a crap about guys that will be waving towels and cheerleading in 3 weeks anyway. This season cant get over fast enough.

YOU don't have to give a crap about them, but the organization sure needs to...

They can't just keep cutting and trading away youth...

It's been awesome to see Ferry trade ECs for missing links, but it can't go on forever...

I'm hoping Green will be the next JJ project next season? We're already sitting home on draft day, AP's old, Redz' flazy, Boob's one-dimensional...

We already had to let Shannon Brown go...

I don't want to see the Cavs turn into the late 90's Tribe and think every young player is dispensible
waborat

Unread postby rawdawgexpress » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Brandon Phillips?
People call it 'vision.' I call it running away.
-Josh Cribbs
rawdawgexpress

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:55 pm

waborat wrote:
Gradysmanldy wrote:

YOU don't have to give a crap about them, but the organization sure needs to...

Yes and no. First, the organization used EC's to GET younger; we traded EC's for Mo Gotti, Delonte. They drafted Boobie and JJ, and have worked them into the rotation with the veterans. When you factor AV and Lebron's youth, the Cavs have an incredibly young core to balance with the aging veterans. It's how a team is composed; hungry but tested yoots with proven talent acquired through trades/FA.

Danny Green is a second round flier. If he develops in limited time and practice, they'll play him. If they lose him, the organization wont suffer immensely. He has a limited ceiling, no one has ever mistaken his upside to that of a Shannon Brown.

I'm meh, all around. Bottom line is that as long as redz is on the roster, Green wont see the court in the playoffs. Hell, Jawad might not, and he has more value than Green.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:17 pm

waborat wrote:Boob's one-dimensional...

and yes, i prefer my boobies to be 3-dimensional. :lmfao:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:
waborat wrote:Yes and no. First, the organization used EC's to GET younger; we traded EC's for Mo Gotti, Delonte. They drafted Boobie and JJ, and have worked them into the rotation with the veterans. When you factor AV and Lebron's youth, the Cavs have an incredibly young core to balance with the aging veterans. It's how a team is composed; hungry but tested yoots with proven talent acquired through trades/FA.

Danny Green is a second round flier. If he develops in limited time and practice, they'll play him. If they lose him, the organization wont suffer immensely. He has a limited ceiling, no one has ever mistaken his upside to that of a Shannon Brown.

I'm meh, all around. Bottom line is that as long as redz is on the roster, Green wont see the court in the playoffs. Hell, Jawad might not, and he has more value than Green.

Trading for Mo & Redz were very nice moves, but at the time we also had to take on Ben Wallace, Wally & Joe Smith to be able to get West...Smith & Damon for Mo meant taking on a longer contract...Have no regrets with either one, but I'm saying you can't keep trading EC's for longer contracts because when the shit hits the fan, the org will be in deep trouble...

Will Green be a great player? Probably not...Will he be a servicable player? Possibly

My point being that you just can't keep dropping youth for nothing...It will catch up to you eventually...So the staff better know what they've got before they discard...

This team either has no picks or late picks in the next few drafts and they need guys like JJ & Green to hopefully mature
waborat

Unread postby JoJo White » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:14 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf ... _to_c.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Zydrunas Ilgauskas is close to re-signing with the Cavaliers, according to his agent, Herb Rudoy.

"We are close,'' Rudoy told The Plain Dealer. "Hope to have it done tonight so he can travel tomorrow.''

Monday was the first day the Cavaliers could offer Ilgauskas a contract after trading him to the Washington Wizards on Feb. 17 in the deal that brought Antawn Jamison and Sebastian Telfair. Ilgauskas, the team's all-time leader in games played, rebounds and blocked shots, was bought out by the Wizards and cleared waivers, becoming a free agent.

Although teams such as Dallas and Denver were interested, Ilgauskas instructed Rudoy to announce that his intention was to return to Cleveland, in part because he was so moved by the outpouring of support by Cavs fans.

Ilgauskas spent part of the last month in New York, where he has a home. He has been working out steadily since leaving the Cavs and likely could join the team on its trip to New Orleans and San Antonio this week.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:08 pm

it now looks as if it's going to be tuesday morning before z signs his contract. at this point it's pretty much just a formality of either signing just for the remainder of this season for a pro-rated amount of the veteran's minimum or signing for both the remainder of this season plus the bi-annual exception for next season too.

if he signs for just the remainder of this season, he will really only end up with about $150k, but if he signs the bi-annual exception for next season, he will make about $4 million. after having to give up $1.5 million to buy out his contract from the wiz, i would think he would take the latter. by the same token, he might be able to fetch more than that as a free agent from some other team and just may decide to go that route. i wouldn't be surprised one way or the other.

of course, if the cavs win the title this year, he might opt for more security and go someplace else to the highest bidder then too. it will be interesting to see which route he goes. stay tuned til tomorrow, folks. go cavs!!!

:cavs1:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby Cease » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:03 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5019348

No news at 10AM, but all indicators point to a signing today, so Z can make the roadie with the team to New Orleans and San Antonio.

The money line from the attached article is: "His return means Cleveland acquired Jamison, a two-time All-Star with nearly 17,000 points, for a 2010 first-round pick and the rights to Emir Preldzic, a second-round pick last year."
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:37 am

"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:42 am

Whew! Can the Zarma schmucks shut up now? I know he is a fan favorite, but all this commotion over a guy who is probably not going to play more than 10 mpg in the playoffs was driving me nuts. Nice to have him back, hope they saved him a seat on the bench.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:48 am

Ziner wrote:Whew! Can the Zarma schmucks shut up now? I know he is a fan favorite, but all this commotion over a guy who is probably not going to play more than 10 mpg in the playoffs was driving me nuts. Nice to have him back, hope they saved him a seat on the bench.

Sacrilege. You have to get weepy and sentimental over a guy they paid $12million for early on to heal. :pb:

Never mind he's basically a 7'3" Boobie Gibson right now.

Yes, he still has value. But the deal he's on on now (and will be on next season) is far more indicative of that value.

Fine, this season he's a really tall rabbit's foot. Let's move on. It'll be a nice story if they win it all. If they don't it means shit.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:18 am

Peeker643 wrote:Never mind he's basically a 7'3" Boobie Gibson right now.

Please...

Big difference...

A 7'3" Boob would not give little kids nightmares
waborat

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:05 pm

SamAmico Cavs waive Darnell Jackson.
5 minutes ago via web
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:42 pm

OH NO! Here comes the Darma. :hide:

I like that decision, I would have kept Green over Jackson. However, I brought this up earlier but if we just bought out Telfair wouldnt that have paid for itself in luxury tax savings next year? Can't imagine it is a cashflow issue, I am probably missing something.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:45 pm

Ziner wrote:OH NO! Here comes the Darma. :hide:

I like that decision, I would have kept Green over Jackson. However, I brought this up earlier but if we just bought out Telfair wouldnt that have paid for itself in luxury tax savings next year? Can't imagine it is a cashflow issue, I am probably missing something.

They owe Telfair for next year whether he's here or not and they may want to see if his PG skills translate better to a team with some offensive weapons. He's also an expiring next season which has a bit of value.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Ziner wrote:OH NO! Here comes the Darma. :hide:

They owe Telfair for next year whether he's here or not and they may want to see if his PG skills translate better to a team with some offensive weapons. He's also an expiring next season which has a bit of value.

Yeah I get the expiring, but can you not buy someone out a year in advance? Because if they paid him his 3 million for next year right now it would save 3 million in luxury tax next year. Maybe you are right, perhaps they are waiting to see if he has talent they could extract that no one else could.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby davemanddd » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:45 pm

waborat wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Never mind he's basically a 7'3" Boobie Gibson right now.

Please...

Big difference...

A 7'3" Boob would not give little kids nightmares

but it would be every man's dream!!! hee-hee!!!
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby AK-ROWDY » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:Green may have seen minutes if Jawad hadn't proved serviceable. Either way, could give a crap about guys that will be waving towels and cheerleading in 3 weeks anyway. Thisregular season cant get over fast enough.

Fixed.
AK-ROWDY

Favorite Player: Peyton Hillis
Least Favorite Player: Steelers

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:14 pm

Ziner wrote:Whew! Can the Zarma schmucks shut up now? I know he is a fan favorite, but all this commotion over a guy who is probably not going to play more than 10 mpg in the playoffs was driving me nuts. Nice to have him back, hope they saved him a seat on the bench.

Why am I a schmuck because I wanted Z back? Oh no!!! we got a 7' 3" guy who can knock down a mid range shot and is strong enough to push Gasol off the block. Nevermind he's a great teammate and a fan favorite.

This is for you Ziner :fu:
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:48 pm

bookelly wrote:

Why am I a schmuck because I wanted Z back? Oh no!!! we got a 7' 3" guy who can knock down a mid range shot and is strong enough to push Gasol off the block. Nevermind he's a great teammate and a fan favorite.

I thought the Zarma goofballs were saying that trading Z was going to backfire.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:59 pm

bookelly wrote:

Well I dont remember your take specifically so I will just address it in general. Z isnt going to be the difference of championship or no championship, those who freaked out about him being gone when we got a proven vet for him are idiots. The people who pretended as if the ghost of Z was going to haunt our season are idiots. If you were one them them then you are a schmuck.

I dont think anyone here is pissed because he is back, I never said it was a bad thing, but the season wasnt hanging in the balance while Z mulled over options.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:13 pm

BUT the Cavs play better without Shaq! We have no length! ETC!

Rack it, Ziner.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Ziner » Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 pm

From Windy's twitter. I dont think this was ever brought up, D-Block's mom committed suicide 2 days after his release from the Cavs. That sucks.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/may/0 ... hers-trag/
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA