Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Justified

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Justified

Unread postby Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:07 pm

FX new series.

Seth Bullock in 21st Century backwoods Kentucky, written by Elmore Leonard .

Great opening episode.

(Editted to correct brain fart)

Re: Justified

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:38 am

Mitch wrote:FX new series.

Seth Bullock in 21st Century backwoods Kentucky, written by Leonard Elmore.

Great opening episode.

Thanks for posting this. I didn't realize it was starting this week. Good to hear it was good. I'm a fan of Timothy Olyphant.

I didn't realize that it was written by Leonard Elmore. Is it based on one of his novels or did he write the screenplays for the episodes?

And by Leonard Elmore I assume we are talking about Elmore Leonard, right? ;-) ;) :wink:
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:02 am

I liked the premier. FX puts out some pretty good shows, at least for the first few seasons. Nip/ Tuck and The Shield were great, great shows for a while. Hopefully Justified will follow suit, as I am going through major Dex/ Californication withdraws.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Guest » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:35 am

Motherscratcher wrote:
I didn't realize that it was written by Leonard Elmore. Is it based on one of his novels or did he write the screenplays for the episodes?

And by Leonard Elmore I assume we are talking about Elmore Leonard, right? ;-) ;) :wink:

Yeah...posting after midnight sometimes leads to things like that.

It's based off from Leonard's character Raylan Givens, and Leonard is the executive producer of the show, but not the man writing the week to week scripts. That's being handled by Graham Yost, who has credits on "Boomtown" and (more impressive) "The Pacific"

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:53 am

The guy's too 'pretty' to be a bad ass....I can't watch it

I'll take all the sluts on Spartacus instead.... :thumb up:
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:15 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:The guy's too 'pretty' to be a bad ass....I can't watch it

I'm Spartacus
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:03 pm

I liked what I seen so far. Hopefully it doesn't turn into what "The Riches" and "Dirt" turned into... unwatchable. I'll have to wait and see I guess.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:The guy's too 'pretty' to be a bad ass....I can't watch it

You're watching Blood and Sand too?

Is it just me or did they watch 300 and go "Wow lets do that!"?

I like the show, it's a poor man's Rome but the blood effects are kinda over the top. The story is cool, although I doubt they get deep into the rebelion this season. And that show breaks the record for tits per episode.

As for Justified, I missed the pilot, so i'll have to watch for a replay. If anyone knows when it'll air please let me know.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby waborat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:As for Justified, I missed the pilot, so i'll have to watch for a replay. If anyone knows when it'll air please let me know.

It's on 3 or 4 more times...

I believe Friday night again?
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:19 pm

Just watched the pilot this morning. This show is going to be good. Tim Olyphant can play a badass really well. Givens is like a more under control Bullock. Too bad there's no Ian McShane.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby waborat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:55 am

Finally caught up with the first 2 episodes...

Watching Olyphant was just like watching Seth Bullock in the modern day, although that's wasn't a bad thing...Really nothing original here as the pilot had me thinking of The Fugitive, CSI: Miami, Tombstone, American History X, etc, but once again not a knock against it because I really enjoyed the mystery of Raylan and immediately wanted to know more of his past...

The first episode had everything that I enjoy in a law enforcement story and it had Leonard's signature writing everywhere...

Then the second episode came on and afterwards I was like WTF? It was like 2 totally different shows...Talk about corny with the whole Big House Boys, convict driving a federal car and the whole Dupree/Vampire Pam story was utter ridiculous...

I'll give it another shot this week and see if it gets back on track or it'll be back to watching old Sanford & Son reruns on Tuesdays
waborat

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:36 am

waborat wrote:Finally caught up with the first 2 episodes...

Watching Olyphant was just like watching Seth Bullock in the modern day, although that's wasn't a bad thing...Really nothing original here as the pilot had me thinking of The Fugitive, CSI: Miami, Tombstone, American History X, etc, but once again not a knock against it because I really enjoyed the mystery of Raylan and immediately wanted to know more of his past...

The first episode had everything that I enjoy in a law enforcement story and it had Leonard's signature writing everywhere...

Then the second episode came on and afterwards I was like WTF? It was like 2 totally different shows...Talk about corny with the whole Big House Boys, convict driving a federal car and the whole Dupree/Vampire Pam story was utter ridiculous...

I'll give it another shot this week and see if it gets back on track or it'll be back to watching old Sanford & Son reruns on Tuesdays

For what it's worth, some TV critic on Simmon's podcast said that the 2nd episode was the worst one that he'd seen and the next couple were pretty good.

Personally I liked that episode for some of the reasons you didn't. A convict driving the car struck me as something that would absolutely happen in a Leonard novel. And while Dupree/Vampire Pam(?) were kind of annoying, they seemed like quintisential Leonard characters with that mixture of stupid/street smart/unpredictability that so many of them seem to have.

His characters never seem to be all bad or all good. Even if they aren't too bright, their schemes seem to work out to some extent, or at least longer than they should. They are dumb, funny, unpredictably dangerous, and things don't always happen as they should. I guess the best I can put it is that the characters know who they are and act appropriately, if that makes any sort of sense. And everyone lives in that grey area.

I know I stopped making sense a while ago. I wish I could be more articulate on the subject.

The other reason I think it will be good is that there isn't another show like it. It's why Mad Men, Sons Of Anarchy, and Breaking Bad are so good. A Marshall matching wits with dumbass (but clever dumb), quirky Elmore Leonard characters in Kentucky?...that's a win for me.

Of course you can just watch another medical drama. I heard they're starting up another one soon...in Miami this time, so you know it will be completely original and not like any of the other 1,000 medical dramas on TV. Now, if there was only a good show about lawyers...
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby waborat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:50 am

Motherscratcher wrote:
His characters never seem to be all bad or all good. Even if they aren't too bright, their schemes seem to work out to some extent, or at least longer than they should. They are dumb, funny, unpredictably dangerous, and things don't always happen as they should. I guess the best I can put it is that the characters know who they are and act appropriately, if that makes any sort of sense. And everyone lives in that grey area.

I know I stopped making sense a while ago. I wish I could be more articulate on the subject.

The other reason I think it will be good is that there isn't another show like it. It's why Mad Men, Sons Of Anarchy, and Breaking Bad are so good. A Marshall matching wits with dumbass (but clever dumb), quirky Elmore Leonard characters in Kentucky?...that's a win for me.

Of course you can just watch another medical drama. I heard they're starting up another one soon...in Miami this time, so you know it will be completely original and not like any of the other 1,000 medical dramas on TV. Now, if there was only a good show about lawyers...

I've only read a handful of his novels and most of them are the ones that have been made into films (Rum Punch, Get Shorty, Be Cool, Out Of Sight, The Hot Kid to name a few), so I understand his dimwitted characters somewhat? Last week's episode just kinda reminded me of a bad Coen Bros screenplay (which there are plenty)...

Like I said, I'll watch another one or two and hope things get back to the pilot...

BTW, Vampire Pam is who the chick plays on True Blood...

And I'd much rather have the networks come up with some kind of fictional investigative show or a nice reality show about people's interesting talents
waborat

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 am

waborat wrote:
I've only read a handful of his novels and most of them are the ones that have been made into films (Rum Punch, Get Shorty, Be Cool, Out Of Sight, The Hot Kid to name a few), so I understand his dimwitted characters somewhat? Last week's episode just kinda reminded me of a bad Coen Bros screenplay (which there are plenty)...

Like I said, I'll watch another one or two and hope things get back to the pilot...

BTW, Vampire Pam is who the chick plays on True Blood...

You take that back! You take that back this second!

Never saw True Blood so that's why I didn't get that. I figured that's what it probably was, though. I was hoping it wasn't Twilight.

And I'd much rather have the networks come up with some kind of fictional investigative show or a nice reality show about people's interesting talents

Good point. I have no idea why nobody has thought of these type of shows. :pb:
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:Never saw True Blood so that's why I didn't get that. I figured that's what it probably was, though. I was hoping it wasn't Twilight.

OT

No it's not Twilight.....

The first season was really good, the start of the second season was solid, then the story line got drug out with one arc that it became stupid. Stupid Maenads....

Season 3 starts in May I think, and there should be Werewolves.

Just go download season 1 and 2 off Torrents.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture