Text Size

The Rumble Room

Post Pac Man/Clottey Thoughts

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Post Pac Man/Clottey Thoughts

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Holy shit that undercard sucked. The drunk guy at the end of the bar could kick John Duddy's ass. And memo to Jose Luis Castillo, when Alfonso Gomez makes you quit on your stool, its time to hang em up. Soto fight had potential. 1st rd KO caused Soto to stay away and coast a little. Soto is a nice, if overlooked fighter. Already inked his next scrap with Anthony Peterson, who is finally taking a step up fight ... should be a good one.

Clottey was an effin embarrassment. They should withhold his purse for mailing it in like that and rolling over for the pay day. Lost all respect for Clottey. Some rounds throwing less than 30 punches, no excuse for that. What pisses me off is all the fringe boxing fans that bought that fight and walked away disappointed. The sport had a chance to capitalize on the momentum of the Pac Man win over Cotto, and carry it into a megafight with Floyd. Instead, we got that bull shit. And now we gotta here more of the "same old boxing" crap. Sucks.

That all said, another incredibly impressive win for Pac Man, who found ways to get to Clottey, and showed he can be an effective body puncher when the opportunity presents itself. Pacquiao is so god damn good. Clottey wouldn't let HBO weigh him on fight night, and my guess is because he was about 160-165 lbs that night. At least 15 lbs heavier than Manny, you could see it. And Manny just beat the shit out of him. Clottey, as big and strong a welterweight as you will find, was so freaking scared that he kept his guard up the whole fight and threw one punch every 10 seconds. What we are seeing from Manny right now is unprecedented, and as a boxing fan, I am not taking it for granted. I'd pay $50 to watch him fight the high school bully. He's that good.

Nothing left for Manny to do if Floyd continues to run from him after he easily dispatches of Mosely on May 1. While I understand Pac Man's position not wanting to let Floyd and his pack of thugs set the rules and bully negotiations, I just wish Manny would call his bluff, take the GD drug test, and then beat Mayweather. Cause he would beat Mayweather.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Post Pac Man/Clottey Thoughts

Unread postby XUDawg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Swerb, I have to plead ignorance, as I do not watch nor buy too many boxing cards. However, Mosley has agreed to Olympic-style testing. Is that just because he needs the paycheck more than Manny? Because to an outsider like me, Money is making me suspicious that Pacquiao just might be on HGH. I know boxing fans claim he made those demands to avoid fighting Manny. Why is Olympic testing a non-starter for Manny? That just doesn't process on my BS meter.

Could you explain what's really going on here? If there is $20-$30 million dollars on the line, I wouldn't care who was setting the rules. I'd say go ahead and test my blood. But as someone who isn't way deep into this stuff, I am probably missing something. What gives.
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Re: Post Pac Man/Clottey Thoughts

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:39 am

XUDawg wrote:Swerb, I have to plead ignorance, as I do not watch nor buy too many boxing cards. However, Mosley has agreed to Olympic-style testing. Is that just because he needs the paycheck more than Manny? Because to an outsider like me, Money is making me suspicious that Pacquiao just might be on HGH. I know boxing fans claim he made those demands to avoid fighting Manny. Why is Olympic testing a non-starter for Manny? That just doesn't process on my BS meter.

Could you explain what's really going on here? If there is $20-$30 million dollars on the line, I wouldn't care who was setting the rules. I'd say go ahead and test my blood. But as someone who isn't way deep into this stuff, I am probably missing something. What gives.

I'm kinda torn on this. Generally speaking, the only people that don't like drug tests are drug users. However, I see Manny/Roach/Arum's point about not wanting to let Floyd and his band of thugs bully them around. Of course, the history of very bad blood between Arum and Floyd doesn't help either. Also, it is true that Manny is very particular and regemented in how he trains and what he does to his body.

Part of it too may be that even if Manny agreed to the testing, Floyd may still find a way to back out, and I think Arum suspects that. Floyd is terrified to lose, and Manny's complete and total domination of Clottey (who probably weighed close to 160 lbs on fight night) is only going to fuel those fears.

The debate will resurface after Floyd takes care of Shane. Not too many other people left out there for either guy to fight besides themselves.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to The Rumble Room