Text Size

No Holds Barred

Drew Carey saves Cleveland

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Drew Carey saves Cleveland

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:48 pm

I've known about this for weeks, but now it's getting local press. I can't wait for the series to start next week.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/03/08/we-ca ... ng-but-the

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/03 ... eland.html

I'll be interested to see how many Clevelanders follow this, now that it's in the local media, and how many decide to demand better from their government.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MNSFQMLDiQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Drew Carey saves Cleveland

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Bottom line? As the Web site's motto reads, "Free minds and free markets." In other words, move out of the way, government. In a town like Cleveland, with big government bureaucracies, cumbersome regulations and old-school unions, the series argues, it's no wonder times are so tough.

Yeah times are tough in Cleveland because of Unions and Regulations.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Stu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:56 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Yeah times are tough in Cleveland because of Unions and Regulations.

Is that sarcasm?
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Toxicadam » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:37 am

I kind of roll my eyes whenever I see a "save [big city]" article or documentary. Isn't really just saying "why are all the white people moving away?" Then they will blame high taxes, blame schools (and somehow it's teacher's fault .. not bloated bueracracy that rules over them) or blame crime. Same old song and dance that has gone on for decades here in the Midwest.

But history has shown that white people always move away. It's intrinisic to their DNA. They moved away from Europe when shit got tough. They moved away from the Eastern seaboard when the cities became overpopulated. They moved away from the midwestern industrial cities as they prospered and now they are totally abandoning them as the jobs are drying up.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:14 am

cleveland is beyond repair.
"Meh. Calling me names on the internet is really no big deal, happens all the time." - e0y2e3
Ea$t $ide

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Paul Pierce

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:19 am

What's Drew's plan for fixing the weather?
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby davemanddd » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 am

aoxo1 wrote:What's Drew's plan for fixing the weather?

how about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQNHoU0J ... re=related

:lmfao:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:52 am

Toxicadam wrote: But history has shown that white people always move away. It's intrinisic to their DNA. They moved away from Europe when shit got tough. They moved away from the Eastern seaboard when the cities became overpopulated. They moved away from the midwestern industrial cities as they prospered and now they are totally abandoning them as the jobs are drying up.

Trying hard to follow you here and not jump to conclusions, but I'm lost. It's not a white, black, brown thing, it's a human condition thing. Almost universally, previous generations want to make things better for subsequent generations, regardless of ethnicity or country of origin. Everybody wants a better life. Western Europeans moved to the US for a better life. In the case of the Irish, it was to STOP DYING. Pussies. North Africans, once colonized by those same Western Europeans, moved to Europe, seeking a better life. Same for Indians to the UK. Freed slaves moved North looking for better opportunities than share cropping after the Civil War. And on and on.

This whole "white flight" as the reason for the ills of urban population centers is nothing more than scape-goating. YMMV.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Racial lessons I have learned here

Black people can't be Quarterbacks
White people can't handle tough situations

::doh::
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Ziner wrote:Black people can't be Quarterbacks
White people can't handle tough situations

Sincerely,

Seneca Wallace

cc: Derek Anderson
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Spin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Trying hard to follow you here and not jump to conclusions, but I'm lost. It's not a white, black, brown thing, it's a human condition thing.

So the fact that the city of Cleveland is now 54% black, and the population of surrounding areas like Medina County and mushrooming is just a coincidence?

You guys are missing a couple key points.

#1 was BUSSING. Why would a hard working family trying hard to provide their family with a nice neighborhood to live in want to see their children bussed across town to a delapidated school full of crime?

#2 Schools ARE an issue, whether you want to believe it or not. If you had a choice, and you wanted your children to be able to become something, would you send them to the worst schools in the state? Where the buildings are condemned and the budget is so bad the state has to take them over?

And no I'm not blaming JUST the teachers, the collapse of Cleveland schools is a result of many issues. Starting with bad parents, corrupt leaders, and no money available. As the better off people leave (of no particular race), the student body goes further downhill.

Bad schools keep people from taking positions that force them to live there (trust me, I am one of them). Bad schools make a corporation think twice about locating there. Where are you going to get better quality workers, Cleveland? Or somewhere with a somewhat adequate education system? Bad schools pump generation after generation of graduates qualified to be janitors into the workforce, and there's no shortage of janitors. More spiraling.

Then there's the corruption, of epic proportions.

Then there's about the worst weather in the US. There is a direct correlation to the number of dreary weather days and depression.

As I look at other rust belt cities, some have rebounded, some are trying, some are flailing about aimlessly. Cleveland is in the last group IMO.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Spin wrote:
Trying hard to follow you here and not jump to conclusions, but I'm lost. It's not a white, black, brown thing, it's a human condition thing.

So the fact that the city of Cleveland is now 54% black, and the population of surrounding areas like Medina County and mushrooming is just a coincidence?

No. But do you assign blame to white people for moving to Medina? My only point is blaming this on white folk is mis-guided; they are doing what everyone does if they have the means to do so - improve their quality of life.

Big difference between saying "White flight is a contributing factor to the decay of our urban areas" and "White people are to blame for the decay of our urban areas because every time things get tough they bail."
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Spin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Well I agree with you on that.

It's not a matter of white people leaving when the going gets tough. There are a lot of reasons to leave Cleveland...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Cease » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Yes, I'll be watching the webisodes as they are released. Drew Carey ain't going to save the world, but Drew using his celebrity to bring issues to light for discussion is perfectly OK by me.

I'll be interested in the scope of the series... City of Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Cleveland 'burbs and Cleveland+ have vastly different issues to address. Drew Carey is from Old Brooklyn, which is in Cleveland proper- so, I'm guessing he's going to keep this from that POV while incorporating ideas that may involve the County, First-rings, and all of NEO.

I love Cleveland. I live in Fairview Park. <-- I don't know why that's funny to me.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:11 am

Here's Part One. About 5 minutes long.

jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:27 pm

OK, apparently the first one was just the introduction. Here's today's episode, fixing Cleveland's schools.

jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:42 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWp4-bM2ADk&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Drew shaking hands with a stooler fan?
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:50 pm

I saw this last week and just thought I was dreaming. Drew Carey is a talentless hack, I wish him to fall down many flights of stairs. If we need him to bring light to our problems, we are doomed
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Loo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:57 pm

I just bought a Drew Carey bobblehead...
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:02 pm

If any of the people who have commented without actually watching any of the videos watches just one, I hope the next is the one. It involves the West Side Market and Cleveland's municipal golf courses, among other interesting ideas.

jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:46 pm

Watched it, and agree. They kept Carey to a minimum, really he didn't contribute anything other then his mug and a few mumbles. The key word was the political will to make it happen. Not even close in Cleveland. You cannot even get qualified people to run for mayor. Working for a non-union contractor in Cleveland I know first hand the lack of will among the citizens to demand change.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Spin wrote:Well I agree with you on that.

It's not a matter of white people leaving when the going gets tough. There are a lot of reasons to leave Cleveland...

Schools, jobs, decay and a-holes in neighborhoods.

Eventually, I think most of these places are gonna have to come up with some reasonable means of managing downsizing, like dave Bing introduced.

Thing about C-town is that except fo a brief few years of Mike White, they never figured out how to leverage the resources they had. Campbell was a disaster and the economic floor of manufacturing fell out.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:03 pm

jfiling wrote:If any of the people who have commented without actually watching any of the videos watches just one, I hope the next is the one. It involves the West Side Market and Cleveland's municipal golf courses, among other interesting ideas.

Hey, I'm all for privitizing stuff like parking, golfing and the WSM. It should help those micro-issues and what was considered rogressive in 1905 can probably step aside if the city is losing menoy on these enterprises.

But these are the "innovative solutions" that are going to "save Cleveland" ?

I'll keep watching with an open mind becasue this is interetsing, but they need to step the game up.
jb

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:24 pm

JB wrote:
jfiling wrote:If any of the people who have commented without actually watching any of the videos watches just one, I hope the next is the one. It involves the West Side Market and Cleveland's municipal golf courses, among other interesting ideas.

Hey, I'm all for privitizing stuff like parking, golfing and the WSM. It should help those micro-issues and what was considered rogressive in 1905 can probably step aside if the city is losing menoy on these enterprises.

But these are the "innovative solutions" that are going to "save Cleveland" ?

I'll keep watching with an open mind becasue this is interetsing, but they need to step the game up.

It's a 6-part series (part one was the intro). Here's part 4:
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 pm

jfiling wrote:OK, apparently the first one was just the introduction. Here's today's episode, fixing Cleveland's schools.

Good segment, but they never quite come out and makie it plain, do they?

Private , praochial, good charter schools work consistently for 3 reasons, regardles of SES.

1. They can kick bad students out. If you are a screw up, ur gone. End of story. Public schools have to dance around with the idiots. Privates just kick them out to public schools. problems solved.

2. They can hire and fire teachers as they wish. Period. You want to mail it in as a burn out or you are a poor teacher? Buh-bye. No union.

3. By virue of tuition or mandate, parents / families are involved and comitted to their kids' education. There is nothing that any school or teacher can do whatsoever to make a difference if the student is apathetic becasue the family is apathetic. Everything else is a non-starter.

You can dress it up any way you want and use buzzwords like "educational entrepreneurship" or make public school kids wear uniforms, or decrease the sze of schools. You can close underperforming schools. Doesn't matter. Until those three elemnts are in place, you got nothing.

It really is just that simple.
jb

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Here's part 5, which I think is even easier to understand and more damning than the previous segments.

I actually have a huge rant to make on this segment, which will come later.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:55 am

JB wrote:
jfiling wrote:OK, apparently the first one was just the introduction. Here's today's episode, fixing Cleveland's schools.

Good segment, but they never quite come out and makie it plain, do they?

Private , praochial, good charter schools work consistently for 3 reasons, regardles of SES.

1. They can kick bad students out. If you are a screw up, ur gone. End of story. Public schools have to dance around with the idiots. Privates just kick them out to public schools. problems solved.

2. They can hire and fire teachers as they wish. Period. You want to mail it in as a burn out or you are a poor teacher? Buh-bye. No union.

3. By virue of tuition or mandate, parents / families are involved and comitted to their kids' education. There is nothing that any school or teacher can do whatsoever to make a difference if the student is apathetic becasue the family is apathetic. Everything else is a non-starter.

You can dress it up any way you want and use buzzwords like "educational entrepreneurship" or make public school kids wear uniforms, or decrease the sze of schools. You can close underperforming schools. Doesn't matter. Until those three elemnts are in place, you got nothing.

It really is just that simple.

Holy crap that "simple" logic should be sent to all decision makers in Cleveland. We have an entrenched syndicalism that is going down with the ship.
Orenthal

Return to No Holds Barred