Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Saw - Why do I like this franchise?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Saw - Why do I like this franchise?

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:17 am

Just watched #6 the other night and absurdly I liked it?

Never been a fan of the "torture" genre, but I've watched all of these things when they've been released on dvd...

The stories are stupid, the acting sucks, there's no humor or nudity...

But I watched #1 (years ago) when there was nothing else to rent and loved it...

Maybe it's the mystery fan in me and watching everything get tied together?

Liking pointless & irrational nonsense like this? Maybe I should take up metal detecting on the beach
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Saw - Why do I like this franchise?

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Well what differentiates the Saw series from the other hack-n-slash horror movies is that the series has at least some meaning behind it, even if it is minimum, rather than the mindless killing spree. So, perhaps that's a reason why you're into it?

I haven't seen them all (not even the first one), but I like the crazy contraptions these writers can come up with and just seeing people die. In fake, funny, Hollywood kind of ways of course. :thumb up:

The series is comparable to the Nightmare on Elm Street series back in the day. I think it's amazing that most kids these days don't remember a time when there WASN'T a Saw movie. That's probably what it was like for you guys growing up in the 80s in the case of Elm Street.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby mswerb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:31 pm

I have seen all of them except for the last one. These movies are great beacause each one starts where the previous one left off. I am not a big fan of slasher movies but the contraptions in these movies are SICK (in a good way) When you have a movie like this, acting is not the first thing you are looking for. The dudes who wrote these movies have to be crazy to have come up with this stuff. Keep up the good work.
Want to play a game??
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:49 pm

I own them all and love them.
The way everything is tied together is flat out scary..........and sick.
Each one is right around 90 minutes and never a dull minute or scenes that have no meaning.
Watching each one more than once is a must in my opinion.
Awesome series

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:56 pm

The stories really aren't that bad. They're pretty good movies even if you're not a horror movie guy. I haven't seen 6 yet, but I plan on buying the box set when they come out.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby tastybrownies » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:03 pm

I've always been a pretty big fan of the horror genere, namely the 80's slashers and before like the Fridays, Happy birthday to me, terror train, black christmas, and more. I just like it that the people behind these films seem to have so much passion in producing them, giving the fans exactly what they want too. :pop:

In terms of the saw franchise, the first one was actually really good. As someone said above, it had a great unique story and was filled with on your seat action and surprises. Since then I've seen up to 3 or 4, after 4 I was just grossed out by the whole series to continue watching.
Matt Underwood - "And the Indians have left a small village on base."
tastybrownies

Favorite Player: Johnny Manziel
Least Favorite Player: Miguel Cabrera

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:45 pm

I really liked the first one. It was different and original. The next 2 or 3 got progressively worse intil I thought the last one that I watched (maybe part 4? I don't really know) was so absurd that it made no sense whatsoever.

I don't mind the absurdity (I mean c'mon, look what we're talking about here) so much as it seemed like the writers stopped even trying to have anything make sense anymore.

The contraptions are cool. But, in the first few films, they were part of the larger story being told. In the last few, they WERE the entire reason for the story. It just became kind of old and boring to me and I lost interest.

I would probably watch the last few that I haven't seen yet, but I'm not going to go out looking for them.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:49 pm

Never liked any of them, the first one had potential but I figured out the twist halfway through. I leaned over to my wife and said "If it's the guy on the floor i'm going to be pissed".

I'm a huge horror fan, but these movies never did anything for me, just like Hostel.

Watch Funny Games if you want a twisted movie. Just undertsand there is almost no on screen violence (fair warning for you gore hounds).
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Watch Funny Games if you want a twisted movie. Just undertsand there is almost no on screen violence (fair warning for you gore hounds).

Yeah Funny Games is awesome.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture