Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Marriage Ref

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Marriage Ref

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:28 am

Not sure why I see fit to comment on this but what the hell.

The olympic closing ceremonies at least here on the left coast ended abruptly last night so they could air Marriage Ref, I presume we had a late feed anyway and this happened all over. Normally I might not have watched it, but I figured what the hell.

As a backdrop I've had no previous interest in watching the show based all of the spots running during the Olympics. However for some reason we simply left it on last night. As the show went on, I was closely watching Jerry Seinfeld, thinking what the fvck is wrong with this guy? What I mean is Alec Baldwin would make one of his trademark snarky quips which at most should merely elicit a smile, and yet Jerry was sitting their laughing hysterically. I literally made my wife stop whatever she was doing on facebook and watch. I hadn't seen joy and laughter this contrived since watching Kobe Bryant's Doin' Work. I thought how on earth could he still be laughing, meaning, I can understand a quick giggle or smile, but every remark the guy went into hysterics.... so I checked into it and sure enough Jerry is the executive producer.

I swear I am threatening to watch this train wreck a couple more times to see if he really is this big of a phony. I guess a little part of all of us want to develop and produce a successful reality show, and you have to sell it, I get that. But damn to be so obviously fake and phony is extremely disappointing.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Re: Marriage Ref

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 am

dmiles wrote:

But damn to be so obviously fake and phony is extremely disappointing.

Remove Seinfeld from the chair...

Add Costas in his place...

And the Olympics never ended
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Maybe the laughter is genuine, and he's just thinking to himself how hilarious it is that someone who screamed at his daughter, calling her a "rude little pig" for all the world to hear, is actually giving someone else advice on family relations.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:39 pm

Ironic that the crux of Seinfeld was to break down relationships to the most minute idiosyncrasies, yet now Jerry's got a show "fixing" relationships.

Ironic, or funny?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby waborat » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:30 pm

After 2 viewings, this show is pointless, repetitive, inflated, unfunny, etc...

With that said, it'll probably be on NBC for the next 8-9 years
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:19 pm

I haven't seen it. Probably won't.

As far as reviews go, Posnanski probably puts it best (as per usual). Here's what he had to say:

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010/02/28/the-seinfeld-ref/
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:03 pm

Seinfeld-Larry David= not as funny

And I feel guilty as I should watch curb your enthusiam more, but sometimes it takes a good kick in the ass for me to watch something.

David was the glue that made that show run, think of him in a way, as the Scottie Pippen to Seinfeld's MJ, as cliched as that sounds, it is the truth.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:56 pm

That Larry King/Seinfeld interview is classic.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture