Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Shutter Island

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Shutter Island

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Anyone else pumped for this movie?
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Re: Shutter Island

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:02 pm

Yep Scorsese is my favorite director and has yet to make a bad movie.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:32 pm

I've been thinking about this; has Scorsese made a horror movie? I don't think so but haven't actually went to IMDB to check it out.

The trailers look spooky as fuck!
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:45 pm

bucknutz94 wrote:I've been thinking about this; has Scorsese made a horror movie? I don't think so but haven't actually went to IMDB to check it out.

The trailers look spooky as fuck!

I'm not sure if it's a straight forward horror flick. To me it looks more like a suspense thriller, which might just be semantics on my part. The setting looks great and the cast is really interesting.

BTW is that DeNiro I see in the trailers? The guy with the jacked up eye and scars all over his face?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:10 pm

This will be a classic "read the book" before you see the movie. Seriously. The book is excellent, and will set up the movie well. Love Scorsese, but it's going to be tough to bring out the full story (as written by Lehane) in the movie.

Edited to add Dennis Lehane is the same author who wrote "Gone Baby Gone" and "Mystic River". Both books were well adapted to the big screen, so I have high hopes for Shutter Island. Still, read the book first.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:02 am

I've been meaning to read the book.

And thats not DeNiro even though it looks 100% like him. It's actually Elias Koteas
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Unread postby waborat » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:56 am

mattvan1 wrote:This will be a classic "read the book" before you see the movie. Seriously. The book is excellent, and will set up the movie well. Love Scorsese, but it's going to be tough to bring out the full story (as written by Lehane) in the movie.

Edited to add Dennis Lehane is the same author who wrote "Gone Baby Gone" and "Mystic River". Both books were well adapted to the big screen, so I have high hopes for Shutter Island. Still, read the book first.

Couldn't agree more Matt...

My favorite suspense novel since Primal Fear...

Fast read, big payoff
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:45 am

Anyone see the movie yet? I'm just wondering if it's worth my $7 to go see it.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:31 am

RedDawg53 wrote:Anyone see the movie yet? I'm just wondering if it's worth my $7 to go see it.

I saw it Friday. IMO it's easily worth it. I wanna see it again.
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Unread postby Ziner » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:39 am

RedDawg53 wrote:Anyone see the movie yet? I'm just wondering if it's worth my $7 to go see it.

Where the hell do you see movies for $7?
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby waborat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:25 am

Ziner wrote:

Go before it gets dark
waborat

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:37 am

Ziner wrote:

I live in Erie, PA. "Tinsel Town" is our big movie theater. The early bird special is $5, seven days a week. And movies after 6:00 are $7 something. And if I wanted to wait a few months, I can always go to the "$1 theater" which is about 2 miles away.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby mrburns » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:35 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:
Ziner wrote:

I live in Erie, PA. "Tinsel Town" is our big movie theater. The early bird special is $5, seven days a week. And movies after 6:00 are $7 something. And if I wanted to wait a few months, I can always go to the "$1 theater" which is about 2 miles away.

I think it's the "$1.25 theater" now. They just keep squeezing us in this economy, don't they?
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby dem425 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:50 pm

I like DeCaprio and I like Scorsese..........

But Shutter Island...............Almost 2 1/2 hours of Twilight Zone, circa 1985-89, not the GOOD B&W w/Serling circa1959-64...

I guess I'm not the film buff I thought I was.........I really liked Wolfman and Sherlock Holmes but Avatar/BAsterds and Hurt Locker were all C+.........

Uncle Siskel/Ebert...... NOT!
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby waborat » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:30 am

dem425 wrote:but Avatar/BAsterds and Hurt Locker were all C+.........

OUCH!

My 3 favorite flicks from last year
waborat

Unread postby dem425 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:35 am

Wabo:

I guess I fell into all the hype surrounding those three movies and it was all anti-climactic.

Avatar: I saw it in 3-D. The effects were good and the CGI was incredible. But so was "Transformers" and most people I talked to thought that movie sucked (unfortunately, I liked it). Avatar's storyline was initially unique, then the story faded into man screwing over another culture.

Basterds: Threw me for a loop. As much as I wanted to see it, I didn't read anything on it for fear of spoiling the movie. First of all, it was a fantasy tale of WWII with little fact. Unless I slept through History class at Euclid, I was not aware the entire Nazi High Command (including Schikelgruber) was killed in a movie theatre. Okay, I can still buy into a fantasy take on WWII. But was with ALL THE TALKING?....The movie did not concentrate enough on the "Basterds" themselves. And what the hell was "Ryan" from the "Office" doing there.

Hurt Locker: Reminded me of an independent production. Maybe I was expecting an epic production like Black Hawk Down or something more dramatic like Rules of Engagement. Just didn't blow me away.

All three movies I would watch again, maybe even buy the DVDs (after the prices come down) and I will begrudgingly up my grade on all three to a B-.....................But Shutter Island is still a C-..........
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby waborat » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:53 am

dem425 wrote:Wabo:

I guess I fell into all the hype surrounding those three movies and it was all anti-climactic.

Avatar: I saw it in 3-D. The effects were good and the CGI was incredible. But so was "Transformers" and most people I talked to thought that movie sucked (unfortunately, I liked it). Avatar's storyline was initially unique, then the story faded into man screwing over another culture.

Basterds: Threw me for a loop. As much as I wanted to see it, I didn't read anything on it for fear of spoiling the movie. First of all, it was a fantasy tale of WWII with little fact. Unless I slept through History class at Euclid, I was not aware the entire Nazi High Command (including Schikelgruber) was killed in a movie theatre. Okay, I can still buy into a fantasy take on WWII. But was with ALL THE TALKING?....The movie did not concentrate enough on the "Basterds" themselves. And what the hell was "Ryan" from the "Office" doing there.

Hurt Locker: Reminded me of an independent production. Maybe I was expecting an epic production like Black Hawk Down or something more dramatic like Rules of Engagement. Just didn't blow me away.

All three movies I would watch again, maybe even buy the DVDs (after the prices come down) and I will begrudgingly up my grade on all three to a B-.....................But Shutter Island is still a C-..........

I hear ya Dem...

After watching so much crap in 40+ years, I try not to go into a movie with high expectations anymore...

I agree that Avatar was pretty F'n cool for the first 2/3rds and then went Dances With Wolves...Heck of an experience though...

Tarantino Speak is always like a trip to an amusement park for me...I was a little worried we'd get boring QT (ala Death Proof, parts of JB), but thought he hit a home run (or a nazi) with this one

Hurt Locker was just plain intense (as were the others you mentioned)...

From what I'm hearing, Shutter sounds pretty disappointing...shame that Scorsese couldn't get the feel of the book into it
waborat

Unread postby Guest » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:05 pm

Very good movie. Not classic Scorsese, but a good popcorn suspense thriller with Leo once again kicking ass in the acting department.

More later.

Unread postby khetti » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:34 am

Hmmm, maybe the one-sentence review I read (Replace the "U" with "I") was wrong. I'll have to find some time to see it, but for the moment, Cop Out and then Alice in Wonderland are up next.
khetti

Favorite Player: Kip
Least Favorite Player: Big Ben's Fat Face

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:51 am

Ok, I had no intention of watching the movie since I heard it was mediocre and that you could see the twist a mile away so I cheated and Wiki'd up the twist. Sure enough, it was what I guessed. Suppose that's not really a critique of Scorsese (I don't know if it actually is frustratingly frenetic and I don't care to find out), but more of one on Lehane (he had a similar twist in another novel-turned-movie). Seems to be so chic in modern noir...conventional mystery just ain't sexy anymore.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 pm

FWIW: my friends have said meh, meh and more meh.

My crew is usually damn good on movies like this, especially considering that Boston's favorite author penned it.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby olecowboy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:11 pm

you have a "crew?"
olecowboy

Favorite Player: Alexander Pope
Least Favorite Player: Lane Adkins

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:58 am

e0y2e3 wrote:FWIW: my friends have said meh, meh and more meh.

My crew is usually damn good on movies like this, especially considering that Boston's favorite author penned it.

If it starred matt Damon instead of Leo, I bet they'd have loved it. ;-)
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mrburns » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Very good, not great. Some strong performances. Isn't it funny how Mark Ruffalo either plays the lead in a sucky romantic comedy or a gritty cop? Really liked Ben Kingsley.

Really well-made with great production values, and I can see the Hitchcock comparisons. This definitely isn't his best, but like Mitch said in his review, you have to respect Scorsese pushing his boundaries.

This should be receiving very positive reviews overall, but I wonder if critics were just expecting something different out of a Scorsese movie.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby waborat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:02 am

IMO, piece of crap...

A year ago, it was one of my #1 most anticipated films to see and then they moved the release and I became skeptical...

Excellent cast, great director and awesome book could not save this...I've read books before seeing movies before and still came away liking them, but SH just couldn't bring the psychological suspense the novel had...

It was if Scorcese took some of the best movies of the past 30 years (Shining, Sixth Sense, Silence of the Lambs, Ingloreous basterds, etc) and tried to make an edge of your seat mystery-thriller combining them all...

Also disappointing, was the newly added conversation at the very end of the movie which wasn't needed, except to make it a more viewer-friendly conclusion...

What an overall terrible year for movies so far
waborat

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:07 am

I don't think it was "crap", but it certainly wasn't anything noteworthy. The end wasn't even close to being a "shocker", and trailers that proclaimed it as such just added to the disappointment.

Meh, meh, and more meh indeed.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Shadow Scars » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:14 am

So I work for a Behavioral Health organization and ever since I watched this movie I'm nervous that... well that the twist... you know. I hope I'm not really you know.. and it's all in my... you know.

:bunny:
Shadow Scars

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:51 am

I liked this flick. Tense, edge of your seat. Ending was clever, but predictable ... once they started to get into the last 30 minutes. DiCaprio is as good as there is, and Ben Kingsley was excellent as well.

Not great. But very good IMO. I can see the beefs with the plot and "twist", I guess, but to me ... at the end of the day, it had me edge of my seat for 135 minutes, and was well directed and the acting was excellent.

Comparing it to the last decade of Scorcese films - not as good as The Departed. Better than the Aviator. Prolly on par for me with Gangs of New York.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture