Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

1350's attempt at a drive home sports talk show

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

1350's attempt at a drive home sports talk show

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:40 pm

was curious if anyone hear has given a listen to the talk show on the "other" network in the "other" city as this show airs opposite of Reghi.

Don't know what to make of it thus far, it sounds better than Reghi's "I told you so" style, but at the same time, I'm not sure if these guys "know sports" as other sports talkers do, I mean the one guy is a DJ on WRQK.

So, if anyone here has given a listen, what are your guys thoughts?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: 1350's attempt at a drive home sports talk show

Unread postby bbondsasterisk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:27 pm

I don't know about that show. Jon Marochino has done some stuff for them in the past, but the "Fishhead" bothers me. I know I should listen to the show to make my own opinions but Fishhead was the reason I listened to talk radio as a teenager, because Rock 107 bored me to death.

Reghi is unlistenable and I prefer 1350's show without even listening to it... but what do I know? I'm a Hammer fan.

I've been listening to Alan Cox on MMS in the afternoon. Not everyone's flavor, I know, but the show's pretty funny.
bbondsasterisk

Favorite Player: Shin-Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Stop torturing yourselves. Podcasts. So many good ones out there.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Agree Swerb. No sense being married to this local radio crap.

Have to give this show a try though for when I'm driving. Between Reghi's stammering and obnoxious interviewing I had to quit his show.

Hammer is the reason why I cannot stand the Rizzo show anymore. He's all about himself and utterly pompous. He's a know-it-all that whenever I have listened doesn't seem to know anything but the latest pop song that's out.

The worst that KNR has though... Brinda. No question. Guy is a dick of epic proportions. Having met him at a golf course a few years back, I never met someone that thought he was a celeb and it was his right to be a dick to any and all. Maybe it was a bad day but after hearing him year in and year out over the radio, I have only found my gut even more spot on.

I'm not a Roda fan necessarily but over the last year he has been the best they have had on 850 when I have tried to listen.

That said, there are plenty of shows I have listened to over the years and I am amazed at how bad some of the crap on the radio can be. The college guys and programs always amaze me. Don't see what is so hard about going on the air and having your shit together. I suppose I should try it before I trash too hard but damn, have some cats even watched sports before...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby pup » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:08 pm

I made it through 5 minutes of this, and knowingly changed the channel to Brinda. Nuff said.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 pm

I would do podcasts/listen to music, but my PC's CD burning thing is screwed up, and I don't have a thing to put into my cigarette lighter to plug my IPod into, otherwise, I'd have that on in a heartbeat.

noles1 wrote:I'm not a Roda fan necessarily but over the last year he has been the best they have had on 850 when I have tried to listen..

Rhoda is auctually pretty good when discussing the Cavs, probably the best of the bunch when it comes to talking basketball, seems pretty level-headed on the sport.

his only major drawback is that he is a Steelers fan. Again, if it wern't for that, I would bet he would get a lot more respect amongst the Cleveland faithful.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:49 am

Triple-S wrote:I would do podcasts/listen to music, but my PC's CD burning thing is screwed up, and I don't have a thing to put into my cigarette lighter to plug my IPod into, otherwise, I'd have that on in a heartbeat.

noles1 wrote:I'm not a Roda fan necessarily but over the last year he has been the best they have had on 850 when I have tried to listen..

Rhoda is auctually pretty good when discussing the Cavs, probably the best of the bunch when it comes to talking basketball, seems pretty level-headed on the sport.

his only major drawback is that he is a Steelers fan. Again, if it wern't for that, I would bet he would get a lot more respect amongst the Cleveland faithful.

Wow, 2 Roda fans. I can't believe it. I think Reghi's show is boring (I liked him calling the Cavs games before he got replaced), brinda and Munch are awful and Rizzo is pretty good (although I don't get to listen to him much).

But Roda... Roda makes my ears bleed. He makes me want to do hurtful things to puppies. I can't stand Roda. If I get in my car and he's on, I have to immediately change the channel. Because, if I ever EVER hear him do his stupid fucking never-ending not even close to being funny immitations of Charlie Manuel or John Lucas again, even for a second, I will not be held responsible for my actions.

I couldn't agree more with Swerb. I pretty much only listen to podcasts now. SSS - you need to rectify that situation tout suite, my friend. Because if you're in a place where Roda is tolerable I just might have to organize some sort of intervention.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:52 am

Motherscratcher wrote:I couldn't agree more with Swerb. I pretty much only listen to podcasts now. SSS - you need to rectify that situation tout suite, my friend. Because if you're in a place where Roda is tolerable I just might have to organize some sort of intervention.

just waiting for my birthday to save up and buy that adapter. So it won't be long. I'm turning 21 too, so it will be a great day.

Triple-S

Unread postby mrburns » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:27 am

Triple-S wrote:
Motherscratcher wrote:I couldn't agree more with Swerb. I pretty much only listen to podcasts now. SSS - you need to rectify that situation tout suite, my friend. Because if you're in a place where Roda is tolerable I just might have to organize some sort of intervention.

just waiting for my birthday to save up and buy that adapter. So it won't be long. I'm turning 21 too, so it will be a great day.

Just live dangerously and wear headphones. I've been doing it for over a year and I'm still breathing.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:16 am

noles1 wrote:I'm not a Roda fan necessarily but over the last year he has been the best they have had on 850 when I have tried to listen.

This is like saying which is better, the dog sh*t over here, or that pile of horse sh*t over there.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Cease » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:42 am

Swerb wrote:Stop torturing yourselves. Podcasts. So many good ones out there.

Listen to the man, he is clear minded.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:45 am

Triple-S wrote:I would do podcasts/listen to music, but my PC's CD burning thing is screwed up, and I don't have a thing to put into my cigarette lighter to plug my IPod into, otherwise, I'd have that on in a heartbeat.

Agree to an extent, although I feel like Roda gets too gimmicky at times and long-winded like some of the other clowns. When he is analyzing things he is actually pretty solid but all the other "filler" shit is too much for me.

In general, I wish these guys would watch other basketball games then the Cavs. I work 50+ a week and still am able to catch games in the background when I am home, read up on other teams, etc. I just think it makes one's analysis much more credible if they can tell me why Marcus Thorthon and Collison were killing us rather than Mo stinks.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Spin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:56 pm

I think Jon is doing alright as a rookie, there's some improvement. There's still plenty of room for improvement. He's not as good at commentary as Rizz, and not as good at analysis as Road Man. But he's much better at "filling time" that the Rizzo circus, or the Roda Rants. In any case MUCH easier to listen to than Reghi.

And he's not encumbered by the belief that the entire Cleveland market only cares about what happens within Cleveland city limits (or that city 150 miles away).

But then I like local sports talk. If you don't like local sports talk, you're not going to like any of them. The network shows have their place. But they're usually somewhere far from what I'm interested in. Four straight hours about a golfer? GOLF? REALLY?

Personally I'd enjoy sitting down with a 12 pack at a game with any of the three, Tony, Kenny, or Jon. Very interesting when not filling time or hawking advertisers.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture