Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Band of Brothers/ The Pacific

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Band of Brothers/ The Pacific

Unread postby yogi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:54 am

I've never seen Band of Brothers before and I'm currently enjoying it for the 1st time. Just finished episode 2 (D-Day). We are watching on HBO Demand having just got HBO again for the 1st time in 10 years.

The series is giving me chills since I have family history in WWII.

My father and his 4 brothers all served.

My father and 1 of my uncles served in the South Pacific. 1 uncle due to the "Saving Private Ryan" rule mostly stayed stateside or in safer conditions overseas. My 2 other uncles served in Europe.

One of my uncles was in the 505 PIR (82 Airbourne) and part of D Day. He died that night/day. Not alot of details about his death.

Watching this series with my sons, we have an eerie but proud feeling watching it.

I saw that in March, Hanks and Spielberg will be showing "The Pacific" on our struggles against the Japanese. Obviously, I will see it. I wished it could've been with my father. He passed in 2001.

What a great generation.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Re: Band of Brothers/ The Pacific

Unread postby waborat » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:11 am

yogi wrote:I've never seen Band of Brothers before and I'm currently enjoying it for the 1st time. Just finished episode 2 (D-Day). We are watching on HBO Demand having just got HBO again for the 1st time in 10 years.

My father and 1 of my uncles served in the South Pacific. 1 uncle due to the "Saving Private Ryan" rule mostly stayed stateside or in safer conditions overseas. My 2 other uncles served in Europe.

One of my uncles was in the 505 PIR (82 Airbourne) and part of D Day. He died that night/day. Not alot of details about his death.

Watching this series with my sons, we have an eerie but proud feeling watching it.

I saw that in March, Hanks and Spielberg will be showing "The Pacific" on our struggles against the Japanese. Obviously, I will see it. I wished it could've been with my father. He passed in 2001.

What a great generation.

Enjoy the rewarding BOB, Yogi...

One of THE greatest mini-series ever...

Really looking forward to The Pacific as you never hear as much from that side of the world during the war
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby swerb » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:25 am

What waborat said.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:06 pm

yogi wrote:I've never seen Band of Brothers before and I'm currently enjoying it for the 1st time. Just finished episode 2 (D-Day). We are watching on HBO Demand having just got HBO again for the 1st time in 10 years.

What a great generation.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it! It was an amazing mini series and was one of the few tv/movies that were better than the book (and I enjoyed the book). If you are looking for more information check out Beyond Band of Brothers. I found it to be a good read and Winters was more candid about experiences and troops. It was a very interesting book.

“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Along with the book jack mentioned, Guarnere and Heffron co-wrote a book and Buck Compton wrote one as well.

Love Band of Brothers. So beautifully done and invokes so many emotions.

I agree with wabo, really looking forward to the Pacific side of things.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Band Of Brothers is the best TV show of all time, and nothing else even comes close. I cannot wait for The Pacific.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Along with the book jack mentioned, Guarnere and Heffron co-wrote a book and Buck Compton wrote one as well.

ST (or anyone else), have you read any of those 3 books? I have seen em but never got around to reading them and am wondering if its worth it.

I gotta go back and look but I saw one of the E Company soldiers at a Pearl Harbor Memorial Dinner at Hellriegels in Painesville a couple of yrs back. Cant remember who it was but he gave a nice speech and it was interesting talking with him.

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:23 pm

jack_tors wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:Along with the book jack mentioned, Guarnere and Heffron co-wrote a book and Buck Compton wrote one as well.

ST (or anyone else), have you read any of those 3 books? I have seen em but never got around to reading them and am wondering if its worth it.

I own all three. I also have a book that David Webster wrote before he disappeared at sea. I've also read the Stephen Ambrose book.

Haven't gotten around to reading the Guarnere/Heffron book or the Compton book. I read part of the Dick Winters one you mentioned above.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
jack_tors wrote:

I own all three. I also have a book that David Webster wrote before he disappeared at sea. I've also read the Stephen Ambrose book.

Haven't gotten around to reading the Guarnere/Heffron book or the Compton book. I read part of the Dick Winters one you mentioned above.

Thats cool, didnt know Webster wrote one. I will have to look that up. Let me know what you think when you get around to reading the other two, I will do the same. Oh, Don Malarky has a book out as well.

I enjoyed the Winters book immensely as he confirms how crazy/tough Ronald Speirs really was during his time with Easy company. They make mention of it briefly in episode 3 but he states that Speirs did kill a Sgt who put his troops in harms way and repeatedly defied orders to get them out. He also stated Talbert was his best soldier and a pure killer who could get any task completed.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:00 am

We are one episode behind but watching it as a family, it's like our Sunday night get together (which we never seem to have anymore).

I have only watched through 7, and that happens to be the next family episode, so at that point forward we'll all be totally green. I really think the boys...many years out will remember that we made it a point to watch this together. Each Sunday they are the ones bringing it up, about getting ready for the next episode (12 and 15).
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:38 pm

If you have HBO , go to on demand and you can watch "The making of The Pacific".

March 15th is gettting closer. It looks amazing.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby waborat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:42 am

Anyone watch "WWII in HD" when it was on a few months ago?

History channel is showing it again this week...

A ton of new color video and insight to all aspects of the war...

I learned more watching this then anything else I've seen before
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture