Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Heroes Season 4 (or is it 5 now?)

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Heroes Season 4 (or is it 5 now?)

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:55 am

Anyone still watching? Just watched the 2-hour season premiere and last week's regular 1-hour show. Interesting storyline this year. Gotta say it is hard to get used to Robert Knepper's character not being T-Bag in this show.....though love this guy as a baddy.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Re: Heroes Season 4 (or is it 5 now?)

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:03 am

I still watch. It hasn't been bad this year, but it's still missing some of that season 1 magic. Like when future Hiro stopped time and warned Peter of the future? That was friggin awesome. It needs something like that.

Personally what I would do is give them a reason to work together. All of them, even Sylar. Give them a huge threat to beat. They sort of had that idea with the government, and Denko, but they screwed it up. They got a couple of really good episodes out of it, but overall they missed the boat. They also had it with Villains, but again, they just didn't do a very good job.

Things like time travel have their place, but they can't be formulaic. Really what the show needs is more creative writers. The overall idea of the themes are good, but the execution is lacking.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby davemanddd » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:24 pm

StewieG wrote:I still watch. It hasn't been bad this year, but it's still missing some of that season 1 magic. Like when future Hiro stopped time and warned Peter of the future? That was friggin awesome. It needs something like that.

Personally what I would do is give them a reason to work together. All of them, even Sylar. Give them a huge threat to beat. They sort of had that idea with the government, and Denko, but they screwed it up. They got a couple of really good episodes out of it, but overall they missed the boat. They also had it with Villains, but again, they just didn't do a very good job.

Things like time travel have their place, but they can't be formulaic. Really what the show needs is more creative writers. The overall idea of the themes are good, but the execution is lacking.

yes i still watch and for the life of me, i don't understand why more people don't???

*** spoiler alert *** don't read any further if you haven't watched any of the first 4 episodes so far this season.

i like the storyline with the "carnival family". they just seem to have this whole "brotherhood of evil mutants" vibe about them and i can't wait to see what the writers of the show have in store for them and our other favorite "heroes".

honestly in the end though, after the "carnies" probably run roughshod over mankind and the title cast, i think it will be sylar who ultimately is the savior who comes to the rescue.

wouldn't that be a real twist???

as for the previous season which had the government/denko rounding up those with abilities storyline, the problem that happened there was the writers' strike that cost them something like 10-12 episodes. that's like losing half a season. i mean can you imagine only watching jack bauer on "24" for just 12 hours??? uh, no.

anyway, so if you watch the dvd of season 3 and watch the director's commentary, you will find out that they had planned this whole futuristic pink floyd world/concentration camp/gas chamber storyline that never came to fruition. peter, hiro, mohinder & parkman, et al. were all going to be condemned to die and so nathan was going to have to choose between his family/friends or his career.

they also mentioned killing off a major character in one of those gas chambers, but never revealed who it was. although, from the rather conspicuous absence of mohinder this season, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who it was. evidently the actor's contract who portrays him was up at the end of the season and so they were going to just use that as an excuse to kill him off.

come to think of it, they never did come full circle on that "ashanti virus" thing either that was killing those with abilities. in fact, they pretty much just dropped the entire story line probably as yet another casualty of the writers' strike. mohinder's blood supposedly was a key to a cure, but they instead went in a different direction and used it to develop the formula to create new heroes.

anyway, it should be interesting to see if they bring nathan back, now that sylar has returned in his own body. although, i don't see how they could do that since swoozie kuntz, err, kurtz had him revenge-killed for accidentally killing her daughter (so much for honesty being the best policy) without revealing that he has an ability.

i also found it very telling from the writers' perspective that when they killed denko off in the very first episode this year, they were saying that this is going to be a brand new season and they will not hesitate to make bold storylines and that no character would be safe. they proved that again last monday when they had nathan killed (again) as well.

i still want to know where they're going with the tracy strauss storyline though. there was supposedly 3 girls, not just the niki & jessica sanders twins/split personality of the first 2 seasons. they did mention there were actually triplets with the 3rd girl being named "barbara" not tracy, but they never really have brought any closure to that angle yet. maybe they just scrapped that as a result of the writers strike too. i thought there for awhile they were going to have her become rebel-micah's surrogate mother since she is in essence the same actress that portrayed niki, but they just completely dropped the storyline. rebel was here for like 1 or 2 episodes and that was it???

one thing i hope they don't pursue very much longer is this lesbian story with claire. sorry but hayden panetteire is just way too hot a babe to waste her on a tall, skinny, geeky chick with pointy teeth like madeline zima's gretchen character. besides, their core watch group is 18-34 year old heterosexual males who certainly wouldn't like that either.

look, i get hollywood wanting to push their gay & lesbian agenda every chance they get. i got no problem with them having gay characters. in fact, i love gay characters. they always add a certain spice to any tv program or movie. ever since i saw "mannequin" with kim cattrall and andrew mccarthy with meshach taylor as "hollywood", i have always kept an open mind about them. i would also consider "the birdcage" with robin williams and nathan lane as one of my top 10 funniest movies and the character of jack on "will & grace" has got to be one of the funniest guys ever on tv and i consider ellen degeneres one of the hippest chicks (gay or straight) in the business, but there's a time and place for everything, including having gay characters.

just please don't do it with hayden.

i actually was going to be ok with hiro and ando if they wanted to make the two of them gay, but now they messed that up by having ando going to be getting married to hiro's sister. heck, i think i might have even stomached denko & hrg in a scene like they had in "american beauty" with kevin spacey & chris cooper locking lips, but not hayden. hopefully they will nip this in the bud real soon. gretchen certainly seems rather creepy and might have a fatalistic vein in her, a-la "single white female", so maybe they won't keep her on very long??? we can only hope.

finally and best of all, i really like this storyline with the deaf woman who can see sound as light and can actually take that sound and turn it into some sort of concussive force. i especially like the fact that the writers have made all of these heroes with special abilities still have some sort of vulnerability to them as well, in this case, a deaf woman. the fact that they are going to use her as a much needed love interest for peter is all good too because they haven't had a woman for him really since simone deveaux in season one, not counting the bar chick when he lost his memory temporarily in season 2.

things should really start heating up now that sylar is back and under the control of the robert knepper ringmaster character (sorry but doesn't he remind you of charles manson in "helter skelter"???) and his carney crew. sylar isn't exactly himself as he has no memories of who he is anymore. the question is, will sylar return to form and start killing off the carnies to take their abilities, or will he truly be a blank slate and learn to be a hero this time instead???

it all starts again monday night. be there or be square!!!
Last edited by davemanddd on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby davemanddd » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:42 pm

evidently nobody is watching anymore. at least they aren't chatting about it in this forum anymore if they are. too bad too because the series is certainly back to par from the first season. they are even bringing back some characters from that first season including charlie, the waitress that hiro fell in love with only to have sylar cut off the top of her head and steal her ability of hyper-intelligence. if you liked heroes before and quit watching it a year or 2 ago, you might want to come check it out again. you won't be disappointed.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:55 am

Not sure that it's quite up to season 1 yet, but there have been some awesome moments (like what Samuel did to that police building). It's certainly been better than the last 2 seasons though.
StewieG

Unread postby davemanddd » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:08 am

oh my god, they killed parkman. those bastards!!!
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby davemanddd » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:35 pm

by the way, i thought sylar only killed because of his lust to acquire more powers??? i could swear that he once said he didn't kill people just to kill them. it was the "uncontrollable hunger to possess and collect other people's abilities" that made him do it. i believe in the first season when he killed the wrong cheerleader, he made it a point to say that he didn't kill people who were "normal" and yet that's exactly what he did in this past monday's episode when he killed the "good samaritan" who actually stopped to help him fix his flat tire. what a shithead.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby davemanddd » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:10 am

hello people, is nobody paying attention to this show anymore??? it is really getting good again for the first time in a couple of seasons. nathan and sylar are in a fight over the same body and samuel is trying to become the most powerful person in the world and will stop at nothing to achieve that power, including killing his own brother. gawd, what an awesome show tonite!!! not your typical thanxgiving episode, that's for dang sure. 3 different dinners each with their own levels of tension. wow!!! i've said it once and i will say it again - if you liked the first season of "heroes" but quit watching it in the 2nd or 3rd season, you might just wanna come back and check it out again. believe me, it will be worth your while and i am unanimous in that.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby davemanddd » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:06 pm

ok, fine, don't take my word for it. how about what some other folks over at the internet movie database have to say about this season of "heroes" then??? check it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0813715/boa ... /152561975

i don't want to give up the ghost, but if you ever wanted to watch a rather moving display of "brotherly love" at its finest, it was on full display on this past monday's episode. it even brought tears to my eyes and i haven't cried since my own sister's funeral back in 1996.

i will say it again, if you aren't watching "heroes" this season, you are missing a really good show!!!
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:12 pm

I've been watching it, and it has been a lot better. Samuel has really become a strong character.

But I've heard this is more than likely the final season. Nothing's certain yet, but supposedly everyone involved with the show expects it to be.
StewieG

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:50 pm

I can't believe what I'm reading here. I have seen every episode of Heroes made. Every season.

For the life of me I can't figure out why I'm still watching. It's awful. Just terrible. It keeps getting worse.

I'm dumbfounded why you guys like it. I'm not trying to slam anyone who's watching and digging it. I definitely respect your opinions on stuff. I'm just terribly surprised. I really expected to read through this thread and have everyone talking about how bad it's gotten.

Dang, I need to gather myself and come up with a coherent thought on the matter.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby davemanddd » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:21 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:I can't believe what I'm reading here. I have seen every episode of Heroes made. Every season.

For the life of me I can't figure out why I'm still watching. It's awful. Just terrible. It keeps getting worse.

I'm dumbfounded why you guys like it. I'm not trying to slam anyone who's watching and digging it. I definitely respect your opinions on stuff. I'm just terribly surprised. I really expected to read through this thread and have everyone talking about how bad it's gotten.

Dang, I need to gather myself and come up with a coherent thought on the matter.

um, if you think it's so awful then why do you continue watching it???

it's just like what mike trivisonno said on his radio show the other day. people will call up and bitch about what an ass he is and yet they still listen to his program??? what's up with that??? sorry but i won't continue watching a show i don't like or lose interest in. i want to be entertained, not bored. when i'm bored and not entertained, i just simply grab my remote and turn the channel. there's plenty of other fare available to pique my interest.

i mean when "e/r" first came out, i thought it was the shiznit and it truly was "must see tv" for me for years, but once they killed off anthony edwards' dr. green character, i completely lost interest in it and within just a few episodes of the next season, i never watched it again.

i have to admit that the 2nd and 3rd seasons of "heroes" weren't as good as the first, but it has certainly rebounded this year. this samuel sullivan character they introduced this year is truly a compelling person to follow and the continuing story line of the combined sylar/nathan is truly a brilliant story line. if you can't see this, well then i guess that's your prerogative, but i for one find it extremely entertaining.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:05 am

davemanddd wrote:
Motherscratcher wrote:I can't believe what I'm reading here. I have seen every episode of Heroes made. Every season.

um, if you think it's so awful then why do you continue watching it???

it's just like what mike trivisonno said on his radio show the other day. people will call up and bitch about what an ass he is and yet they still listen to his program??? what's up with that??? sorry but i won't continue watching a show i don't like or lose interest in. i want to be entertained, not bored. when i'm bored and not entertained, i just simply grab my remote and turn the channel. there's plenty of other fare available to pique my interest.

i mean when "e/r" first came out, i thought it was the shiznit and it truly was "must see tv" for me for years, but once they killed off anthony edwards' dr. green character, i completely lost interest in it and within just a few episodes of the next season, i never watched it again.

i have to admit that the 2nd and 3rd seasons of "heroes" weren't as good as the first, but it has certainly rebounded this year. this samuel sullivan character they introduced this year is truly a compelling person to follow and the continuing story line of the combined sylar/nathan is truly a brilliant story line. if you can't see this, well then i guess that's your prerogative, but i for one find it extremely entertaining.

I watch it for 2 main reasons.
1. I loved it at the beginning. Once I get in a habit of watching something I have a hard time giving it up. The only thing I've given up on in the last few years because I didn't like it any more was Nip/Tuck. I'm the same way with movies. No matter how bad it is I always watch to the end.

2. My wife is still hanging in there with it. I get to pick just about EVERYTHING we watch. So, when it is something she likes I stick with it as long as she wants to. We DVR everything so when I ask her what she wants to watch and she says "Heroes" I'd be a major dick to complain.

(I gave up on ER when Dr. Green got locked in the cat scan room by the escaped mental patient who was his girlfriend and posed as a doctor for half of whatever season that was. I never missed an episode prior to that...never saw one after.)

I meant what I said in my first post. I don't fault anyone for liking it this season, and I don't think anyone is an idiot or something like that. I was genuinely surprised to be the only one on the board who doesn't. I really did want to put some decent thoughts together as to why I don't like it right now.

But, since I'm here, a few thoughts of the top of my head: (may be spoilers here. I don't even know what I'm going to write yet.)

1. Samuel Sullivan is truly compelling. I love Robert Knepper. He was the best actor on Prison Break and he's the best on Heroes now. No complaints with that guy. The problem is it took so damn long to really involve him and the Carnival. For most of the beginning of this season they devoted only a few minutes an episode to it and most of the episodes devoted to things like Claire's retarded college adventures. It's the only interesting thing happening now and there should have been WAY more time devoted to it.

2. Peter Patrelli (Milo whatever). Worst actor ever. He's so bad it's hard to fathom.

3. HRG used to be cool. They made him into a conflicted douche just trying to make his way. I hate what they made his character into.

4. Look what they did to Parkman. I don't know if he's a bad actor. It's impossible to tell with the terrible writing and ridiculous scenes. You mean to tell me that when Sylar was in his head, and he KNEW, that Sylar was in his head, he couldn't keep from yelling out at him time and time again? He would be having these shouting matches with Sylar in front of people who thought he was losing it, yet he couldn't control himself. At all. I mean, hasn't the guy ever seen A Beautiful Mind?

5. Too many ridiculously played out scenes. Eg: the scene when Parkman/Sylar is at the hospital and Nathan is in the bed. Parkman is in between Sylar and Nathan yelling at Nathan not to touch him so Sylar can get into him. It's such a poorly written acted and conceived scene. Basically, all Parkman is doing there is narrating what is happening because they are worried that their audience is so damn stupid they won't be able to follow. I prefer things that aren't force fed me. If I miss a few things things that's OK. More Ah-Ha moments later. You don't have to dumb it down for me like I'm an idiot.

6. Too many times when things didn't make sense. One example is the Sorority girl who can disappear being at Claire's college. She is some kind of sorority sister of president or something. Whatever it is, it is clear that she has been there for a few years. So what, are we supposed to believe that she was sent there 2 freakin' years ahead of time on the chance that Claire would apply to college there? I suppose there are time travel scenarios that can be used to explain it, but they all lead to accepting that Teebag and the Carnies like to make a job as long and difficult as possible.

Also, just last episode, when Peter goes after Sylar. Peter meets with the Haitian to take his power. This basically means that nobody will be able to use their power around Peter, so Sylar would be powerless. Except, of course in the elevator when Sylar is shape shifted and has super strength. He picks Peter up by the neck and flings him across the room. HOW? Then, he's in the room with Peter and suddenly he can't use his power. How come it didn't work in the elevator?

It's fucking lazy writing. None of these things are that important, but they add up. The writers are counting on us not noticing crap like this or not caring. Well, I freakin' care.

7. To many wasted/dumb characters. Eg, Claire's friend. She's not as bad as the fat buddy in V, but she's still worthless. And, the deaf music chick. Maybe she will eventually do something interesting/important, but they've sure spent a lot of time on her storyline that could have been devoted to the Carnies (The one thing that is WAY more interesting than anything else going on). I have absolutely no confidence that the writers have the ability to make her relevant enough to justify the time spent on her. I hope I'm proven wrong.

There, see...I knew I would just ramble on about it. My plan was to come up with a few coherent thoughts, not to just wing a bunch of stuff that probably makes little sense.

I think what probably comers through, though, is that I used to love the show and have a lot invested in it and am ultimately just a disappointed fan.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby davemanddd » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:59 am

Motherscratcher wrote:I watch it for 2 main reasons.
1. I loved it at the beginning. Once I get in a habit of watching something I have a hard time giving it up. The only thing I've given up on in the last few years because I didn't like it any more was Nip/Tuck. I'm the same way with movies. No matter how bad it is I always watch to the end.

2. My wife is still hanging in there with it. I get to pick just about EVERYTHING we watch. So, when it is something she likes I stick with it as long as she wants to. We DVR everything so when I ask her what she wants to watch and she says "Heroes" I'd be a major dick to complain.

(I gave up on ER when Dr. Green got locked in the cat scan room by the escaped mental patient who was his girlfriend and posed as a doctor for half of whatever season that was. I never missed an episode prior to that...never saw one after.)

I meant what I said in my first post. I don't fault anyone for liking it this season, and I don't think anyone is an idiot or something like that. I was genuinely surprised to be the only one on the board who doesn't. I really did want to put some decent thoughts together as to why I don't like it right now.

But, since I'm here, a few thoughts of the top of my head: (may be spoilers here. I don't even know what I'm going to write yet.)

1. Samuel Sullivan is truly compelling. I love Robert Knepper. He was the best actor on Prison Break and he's the best on Heroes now. No complaints with that guy. The problem is it took so damn long to really involve him and the Carnival. For most of the beginning of this season they devoted only a few minutes an episode to it and most of the episodes devoted to things like Claire's retarded college adventures. It's the only interesting thing happening now and there should have been WAY more time devoted to it.

2. Peter Patrelli (Milo whatever). Worst actor ever. He's so bad it's hard to fathom.

3. HRG used to be cool. They made him into a conflicted douche just trying to make his way. I hate what they made his character into.

4. Look what they did to Parkman. I don't know if he's a bad actor. It's impossible to tell with the terrible writing and ridiculous scenes. You mean to tell me that when Sylar was in his head, and he KNEW, that Sylar was in his head, he couldn't keep from yelling out at him time and time again? He would be having these shouting matches with Sylar in front of people who thought he was losing it, yet he couldn't control himself. At all. I mean, hasn't the guy ever seen A Beautiful Mind?

5. Too many ridiculously played out scenes. Eg: the scene when Parkman/Sylar is at the hospital and Nathan is in the bed. Parkman is in between Sylar and Nathan yelling at Nathan not to touch him so Sylar can get into him. It's such a poorly written acted and conceived scene. Basically, all Parkman is doing there is narrating what is happening because they are worried that their audience is so damn stupid they won't be able to follow. I prefer things that aren't force fed me. If I miss a few things things that's OK. More Ah-Ha moments later. You don't have to dumb it down for me like I'm an idiot.

6. Too many times when things didn't make sense. One example is the Sorority girl who can disappear being at Claire's college. She is some kind of sorority sister of president or something. Whatever it is, it is clear that she has been there for a few years. So what, are we supposed to believe that she was sent there 2 freakin' years ahead of time on the chance that Claire would apply to college there? I suppose there are time travel scenarios that can be used to explain it, but they all lead to accepting that Teebag and the Carnies like to make a job as long and difficult as possible.

Also, just last episode, when Peter goes after Sylar. Peter meets with the Haitian to take his power. This basically means that nobody will be able to use their power around Peter, so Sylar would be powerless. Except, of course in the elevator when Sylar is shape shifted and has super strength. He picks Peter up by the neck and flings him across the room. HOW? Then, he's in the room with Peter and suddenly he can't use his power. How come it didn't work in the elevator?

It's fucking lazy writing. None of these things are that important, but they add up. The writers are counting on us not noticing crap like this or not caring. Well, I freakin' care.

7. To many wasted/dumb characters. Eg, Claire's friend. She's not as bad as the fat buddy in V, but she's still worthless. And, the deaf music chick. Maybe she will eventually do something interesting/important, but they've sure spent a lot of time on her storyline that could have been devoted to the Carnies (The one thing that is WAY more interesting than anything else going on). I have absolutely no confidence that the writers have the ability to make her relevant enough to justify the time spent on her. I hope I'm proven wrong.

There, see...I knew I would just ramble on about it. My plan was to come up with a few coherent thoughts, not to just wing a bunch of stuff that probably makes little sense.

I think what probably comers through, though, is that I used to love the show and have a lot invested in it and am ultimately just a disappointed fan.

fair enough, although it sounds like you still like the show for the most part, but you are simply disappointed in certain story lines.

i guess i can relate to that in one respect and that is that i just can't stand the whole lesbian angle for claire. i'm not exactly against them exploring claire's sexuality in college, be it gay, bi or straight. i just think they could have found someone a lot more realistic to pair her up with than "lurch girl".

yuck!!!

i mean we are talking about a hot-hot-hot cheerleader here with a very strong-willed personality. i just don't think that sort of person is going get all flabbergasted over a geeky social outcast like "gretchen". now if claire and becky had hooked up, well then i could see that.

anyway, kudos to you for getting your wife interested in the show from the outset. i can honestly say that i have completely opposite tv show and movie viewing preferences from what my wife has and so i envy you in that regard.

as for your criticism of the scene where parkman was yelling at nathan not to touch sylar/matt's hand, i actually have to disagree with you. i thought they portrayed that very much like patrick swayze's scenes in the movie "ghost" where he was yelling at demi moore or the bad guys but they couldn't see or hear him. i wished they would have gone even farther with that and had people walk right through matt just like they did swayze and actually have someone with the power to "see" him or "channel" him like whoopi goldberg's oda mae character could hear swayze. now that would have been really cool to see.

now i am also disappointed in how they have handled hrg's emasculation, although they have recently started to have him get his "secret agent man" groove back as evidenced by his bulletin board tracking of people with abilities. i just hope they keep on developing his renewed tracking propensity and not delve so much into his budding relationship with the former partner (lauren) we never knew he had before until this season.

as for your supposed plot holes in regards to peter using the haitian's power-zapping and memory-erasing abilities, you need to keep in mind that the haitian is very skilled at using his powers for years and years, whereas peter would only be an extreme novice every time he gets a new power. that is why he couldn't control ted's nuclear power in season 1's finale and why he wouldn't have been able to zap sylar's shape-shifting and super-strength in the elevator as he was obviously caught completely off-guard by him. once he was able to get his wits about him though, he was able to block sylar's powers. i guess he just has to have some time to concentrate in order for him to use his own empathic powers. it's just not an automatic thing.

case in point - last season when danko's men had cornered angela in the hotel elevator, they were getting ready to shoot her full of holes when peter, having absorbed nathan's flying ability, came down through the elevator shaft, picked up his mom and flew her to safety right back up through the shaft. had his empathic powers simply been automatic, he never would have been able to fly the both of them out of there as he would have immediately gained angela's ability to dream the future and lost nathan's flying ability. see what i mean??? he has to concentrate and think about what he's doing in order for him to use his abilities. so to consider the elevator scene with sylar a plot hole, i would beg to differ.

as for the deaf woman with the sound/light conversion power, i don't think they have even begun to scratch the surface on what exactly she is capable of. we only saw but a glimpse when she got mad and made the sound from her cello put a huge crack in her wall. i think she will be one of the ones who will probably be very instrumental in the ultimate defeat of samuel in his quest to become the most powerful person with abilities which is why they have gone very slowly in the development of her character. they don't want to reveal their hand too prematurely.

as for who samuel was talking about when he said it wasn't claire who he was interested in but someone else, i honestly think that someone else is actually angela petrelli. after all, she is the last living link to the whole coyote sands project who can provide samuel with any lingering information he might want to know about the project and how it relates to his own abilities and by the same token, she can see what the future has in store for him as well.

in the end though, i still think it will come down to a battle to the death between sylar and samuel. remember now, sylar has that "hunger" to kill people and take their abilities from them. at this point i would think he would consider the sullivan carnival to be a virtual smorgasbord buffet and so i can see him going there to "feast" while samuel seeks to gather more and more of the abilitied around him to satisfy his own evil lust for power. it will certainly be interesting to see how this season turns out. unfortunately, we have to wait until january now for the next episode.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby davemanddd » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:17 pm

by the way, now that nathan is "officially" dead, how do they go about "officially" telling the powers-that-be how an up and coming hot shot senator died several months ago and how it was all just covered up??? his real body has obviously been embalmed and stored in a freezer in a store-and-lockit all this time so they can't exactly just unthaw it and pull off a funeral as if it just happened yesterday. it's got stitches in his neck that will almost certainly raise the suspicion of any legitimate coroner and so it will be interesting to see how they pull this off.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:16 pm

davemanddd wrote:by the way, now that nathan is "officially" dead, how do they go about "officially" telling the powers-that-be how an up and coming hot shot senator died several months ago and how it was all just covered up??? his real body has obviously been embalmed and stored in a freezer in a store-and-lockit all this time so they can't exactly just unthaw it and pull off a funeral as if it just happened yesterday. it's got stitches in his neck that will almost certainly raise the suspicion of any legitimate coroner and so it will be interesting to see how they pull this off.

I hadn't thought about that but it's a good question. If I were them I would try to involve Arlen Specter somehow.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby That_Guy™ » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
davemanddd wrote:by the way, now that nathan is "officially" dead, how do they go about "officially" telling the powers-that-be how an up and coming hot shot senator died several months ago and how it was all just covered up??? his real body has obviously been embalmed and stored in a freezer in a store-and-lockit all this time so they can't exactly just unthaw it and pull off a funeral as if it just happened yesterday. it's got stitches in his neck that will almost certainly raise the suspicion of any legitimate coroner and so it will be interesting to see how they pull this off.

I hadn't thought about that but it's a good question. If I were them I would try to involve Arlen Specter somehow.

Prolly dose his corpse with Claire's blood and bring him back to life...again.
The first rule of Fight Club is: Don't tell Chuck Norris about Fight Club.
That_Guy™

Favorite Player: Leroy Jenkins
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby davemanddd » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:02 pm

good idea but claire's blood only heals living tissue. it does not bring people back from the dead. believe it or not, even she can die. if her head is cut off or if you stab her right in the back of the neck at the brain stem where her skull and spinal column meet, she will most certainly die then.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:27 pm

davemanddd wrote:good idea but claire's blood only heals living tissue. it does not bring people back from the dead. believe it or not, even she can die. if her head is cut off or if you stab her right in the back of the neck at the brain stem where her skull and spinal column meet, she will most certainly die then.

I think it can bring people back from the dead. When Noah was shot in the eye a couple seasons ago, he died. Claire died when that stick punctured her head. Sylar has died a couple times.

But I think the way they resolve it (if they ever do) is to have him go "missing".
StewieG

Unread postby davemanddd » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:46 pm

StewieG wrote:
davemanddd wrote:good idea but claire's blood only heals living tissue. it does not bring people back from the dead. believe it or not, even she can die. if her head is cut off or if you stab her right in the back of the neck at the brain stem where her skull and spinal column meet, she will most certainly die then.

I think it can bring people back from the dead. When Noah was shot in the eye a couple seasons ago, he died. Claire died when that stick punctured her head. Sylar has died a couple times.

But I think the way they resolve it (if they ever do) is to have him go "missing".

no, i don't think so. like i said before, i believe claire's healing factor in her blood only effects actual living tissue. claire was "dead" because the stick you spoke of stabbed her right in that "weak spot" on the back of her head where her head and neck come together at the brain stem. when the stick was removed by the coroner on the autopsy table, well then she was able to heal herself back up again.

as for noah, being "dead" after mohinder shot him in the eye, i think there was a discussion on here about this once before akin to "the princess bride" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/ when billy crystal's character, so aptly named "miracle max", talked about the difference between being "mostly dead" and "all dead".

in the case of noah, he was only "mostly dead", which is still "slightly alive" and so he was able to be brought back. as for nathan, he is most certainly "all dead" as there is no more living tissue in his frozen corpse and so like max said, all you can do now is "go through his pockets and look for loose change". hee-hee!!!

as for sylar, keep in mind that he also has claire's healing power and actually moved his "weak spot" to some other unknown location on his body once he gained the shape-shifters powers and so he can no longer be killed by stabbing him in the back of the head, just like we found out last season when danko tried to stab him there.

as for when he was stabbed through the abdomen by hiro's sword at the end of season one and before he had gained claire's healing power, early in season 2 we found out that it actually missed his heart and so he did not die as most had suspected. he was nursed back to health by that candice girl who was filling his head full of happy thoughts to help keep him alive while she tended to his severe wounds. it can be done. i've seen people impaled on dirty, uneven fence posts that have no business living, but somehow they still do, so for sylar to live through being stabbed by the true blade of a ninja's sword, it would certainly not be out of the realm of possibility.

finally, i think you are on to something about how they might handle nathan's death. he went "missing" for a week anyway, after the hitman hired by swoozie kuntz, err, kurtz killed and buried him, so he can surely go "missing" again. then again, they might want to have angela get her revenge and actually go full circle on that story and have kurtz charged with conspiracy to commit murder of a government official.

the worst part about this is that we have to wait until january for the next episode. ugh!!!
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:14 pm

ok, i'm officially going through "heroes" withdrawal now. i'm actually watching "ice age - the meltdown" on dvd with my granddaughter right now. she had to take a potty break so i thought i would jump on here and vent out my frustration!!! woe is me. :gah:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:41 pm

ok people, it's been a month and nobody has even bothered to make anymore entries here??? obviously people just aren't watching the show anymore. too bad. they are missing a really good show. of course it doesn't help that it's on in the same time slot as that of "24". ah, the kiss of death. you can probably eventually add "heroes" to the bauer body count.

tivo anyone??? dvr??? hello, even an old vhs tape??? you can always tape the dang show and watch it later like i do!!!

anyway, samuel sullivan has become one of the most powerful villians in the history of the show and he actually squared off with sylar (albeit briefly) and got the drop on him because "gabe" developed some sort of a "killing impotence" (maybe a residual effect from him being a shape-shifted nathan petrelli doppelganger for several months???) which made him hesitate just long enough for samuel to spin a dirt tornado around him and nearly tear his face off.

in a subsequent scene, samuel actually destroyed an entire town by causing an earthquake that just swallowed the town whole simply as a temper tantrum for his long lost love rejecting him, played by a very pruned up kate vernon. ugh!!!

once he healed his face back up, sylar went to lydia and took her tattoo fortune telling powers without having to resort to cutting off the top of her head. in the process he learned that his greatest desire is to not be alone and yet his lust for powers is what leads him to kill all the people who he comes in contact with in his life and yet now he can't kill. so then he figured that if he couldn't kill, that he didn't want his powers period and wanted to just go back to being a normal human being again.

yeah, right, as if that would even be possible??? you're a serial killer, nimrod!!! you can always get redemption, but there are still some consequences you will need to pay for your actions.

so then sylar goes to parkman and has him mind-melt his powers right out of him. except parkman double-crossed him and planned on trapping sylar in his own mind where he would live all alone for all eternity and suffer his biggest fear. parkman then proceeds to start burying sylar alive by enclosing him behind a brick wall in his basement when in a weird twist of fate, peter petrelli comes and saves him.

i'm still trying to figure out how the deaf girl who can make powerful sound waves with music figures into the grand scheme of things, but she obviously plays a huge part in it because angela petrelli wanted nothing to do with her when peter first introduced her.

talk about giving someone a cold shoulder!!!

angela said in her dreams that deaf girl kills thousands of people. peter then takes his mother dream powers and sees it all for himself and sees that sylar also plays a part in trying to save her, which is why he went to save him at matt's house. i guess you could say peter really likes deaf girl.

upon destroying the town, samuel basically took away the carnival's entire customer base and so they were effectively closed down and his fellow carnies were all in fear of him from what he did. trying to get back into their good graces, he then sets up a convoluted sniper attack from the "outside world" in which h.r.g. becomes "carnival enemy # 1" when in fact it was eli the multiple man who was doing the shooting.

gee, you would have thought they would be smart enough to know that there were multiple shooters and not just a lone gunman. i mean who do these carnie people think they are - the warren commission???

sadly, lydia becomes one of the shooting victims and in her last dying breath discovers the truth that samuel actually set them all up. eli then captures h.r.g. and brings him into camp where all the carnies are wanting to have him drawn and quartered for revenge, but samuel says they have to show him mercy and not "stoop to his level" and so they agree with samuel as he re-stakes his claim to be the hmfic of the carnival.

meanwhile, don't even get me started on claire. for whatever reason the writers seem hell-bent on stuffing this lesbian angle down our throats. ugh!!! what a waste of hayden panettiere. it wouldn't be so bad if her love interest didn't look like a female lurch from the addams family.

it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks as we still have yet to see exactly what samuel's "end-game" really is. he seems to want to be building this "utopia" or shangrila for people with powers while at the same time he's on some sort of megalomaniacal ego trip to become the most powerful person in the world.

sylar on the other hand just wants to be normal again and hiro just wants to live after having a brain tumor that took him on an out-of-body experience right up to the proverbial "bright light" before his fairy spirit mother healed him and sent him back to reality.

oh and one last thing, mohinder's back so obviously it wasn't his contract that was up as i had previously postulated, but rather adrian pasdar was the one who got his pink slip as nathan petrelli finally bit the dust after having been dead for 6 months (it's a long story) already before then anyway. how convenient that the boy who could fly would actually die in a plane crash??? what will they think of next??? tune in next time.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby davemanddd » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:48 pm

well, season 4/5 is over now and hardly anybody even paid attention as far as i could tell from these boards. it sure didn't help that the last 4 episodes all went head-to-head against "24" after taking the entire month of december off. not the brightest move on nbc's part. plus, aren't they supposed to have season finales be 2 hours??? why just a single hour??? while they did bring the samuel sullivan carnival story line to a close, i just felt like they could have done more. samuel was such a compelling villian and yet in the end he became such a sniveling coward while claire decided to become the "curt flood" of "heroes", becoming a sacrificial lamb of sorts. the question now is, will nbc even bring "heroes" back for a 6th season??? they did have a prologue for a 6th season that will be titled "brave new world", but that means nothing in the big scope of things. it's a long way from september/october when they start the new tv season back up again and there are always changes in the network's fall lineups from year-to-year, so it will be interesting to see if our "heroes" are heard from again. we can only hope.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture