Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Zydrunas Buyout Watch

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Zydrunas Buyout Watch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:47 pm

DALLAS -- With center Erick Dampier out for an extended period, a source said the Dallas Mavericks plan to pursue Zydrunas Ilgauskas if he receives a buyout from the Washington Wizards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/ne ... id=4923051
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Zydrunas Buyout Watch

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Can't really see Z agreeing to sign anywhere else. But, there was this one time...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/300087-lebron-james-criticizes-coach-for-benching-ilgauskas-on-verge-of-record
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby just another fool » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:54 pm

the decision ultimately relies on where Z wants to go, right? it's not like a waiver type situation, correct?
just another fool

Favorite Player: tyrone hill
Least Favorite Player: tyrone hill

Unread postby papacass » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Cavs have obviously lost Z's Bird rights, so they probably aren't going to be able to offer him much more than the biannual exception, which I think is right around $2M. They split the MLE between AP and Moon. The MLE is what they used to re-sign Joe Smith last year.

If it comes down to Z wanting to finish what he started, he's coming back. If it comes down to money, he just might go elsewhere.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Papa Cass wrote:Cavs have obviously lost Z's Bird rights, so they probably aren't going to be able to offer him much more than the biannual exception, which I think is right around $2M. They split the MLE between AP and Moon. The MLE is what they used to re-sign Joe Smith last year.

If it comes down to Z wanting to finish what he started, he's coming back. If it comes down to money, he just might go elsewhere.

I would think LBJ will have something to say about where Z signs in 30 days.

No way Z isn't on the Cavs in 30.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby diminishingskills » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:DALLAS -- With center Erick Dampier out for an extended period, a source said the Dallas Mavericks plan to pursue Zydrunas Ilgauskas if he receives a buyout from the Washington Wizards.

CLEVELAND -- A source said that DiminishingSkills plans to pursue Elin Nordegren once she divorces Tiger Woods.

Doesn't mean she'll take my calls.
Last edited by diminishingskills on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:24 pm

frankly, if Z signs with someone else, i won't give a rats rear end.
"Meh. Calling me names on the internet is really no big deal, happens all the time." - e0y2e3
Ea$t $ide

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Paul Pierce

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Z comes back here if bought out. 100%. End of story.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:58 pm

Ea$t $ide wrote:frankly, if Z signs with someone else, i won't give a rats rear end.

The ultimate goal is to win a championship. But winning it with Z on board would be better just because he was here before LBJ when we were shit.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Did Rat_Tail just quote a post featuring the text "rats rear end"?
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:09 pm

You guys know I have not been Z's biggest fan in the past 4 years, but damn if I won't be disappointed if he is not back in 30 days.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 pm

I really would be completely pontius pilot and wash my hands of Z. Everything indicates he would want to go for the ring with the team in best position to win it that he's spent 100% of his career with....if an extra couple bucks is worth THAT much to him, then i've no use. It's not like there aren't 4-5 bigs on this team anyway.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:32 pm

I'll never be surprised, but guy has his adopted kids in school here and deep ties to the area, just don't see him going elsewhere if bought out...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 pm

We could've given McDyess more money last year too but that didn't happen. He wanted to return to Detroit.

Z is most likely to want to return to the only team's he's ever known in the NBA. I'd bet he asks to be bought out by the Wiz. Cavs couldn't say anything to Z, but he knows they hope to get him back and that they only traded him to improve their chances.

If the Cavs get a ring then Z should be there. I think he knows this is a great shot for them and he's been such a huge part of the Cavs for over a decade, through foot problems and all.

Z gets bought out then he's in a Cavs uniform 30 days later, no doubt on that one.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:01 am

I think he'd get a ring anyway in a hypothetical situation where we won one, right? Isn't there some rule where you get one if you play a % of the season w/ a team?
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:05 am

Cute.

PDcavsinsider

Ilgauskas agent Herb Rudoy to PD's Mary Schmitt Boyer: "I'm going to try to get them to do a buyout."

and then after

PDcavsinsider

More Rudoy: "I've already heard from a few teams...that are really interested in wanting to talk about Z going to play for them."
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:44 am

This thread is foolish. e0y is toying with people and has his hand up the back of the paranoid and the perpetually nostalgic.

Clever bastard.

Z will be back here if he's bought out. Enough.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby mrburns » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:31 pm

There has to be a 99.999% chance that Z comes back here.

And if he doesn't, we shouldn't lose sleep over it. What we were worried about was trading Z to a team that wouldn't buy him out, and that's not what happened.

The Cavs paid Z a lot of money and helped him through his injuries. His family lives here, he's friends with most of the team, and the Cavs now look like the favorite to win the whole thing. If a little more money is worth more to him than that, then that's on him, not us.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:I think he'd get a ring anyway in a hypothetical situation where we won one, right? Isn't there some rule where you get one if you play a % of the season w/ a team?

If it's like baseball, the team might vote him a share of the championship money but I believe you have to be on the roster to get a ring.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Ahh, maybe it was baseball I was thinking about...
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:49 pm

You're a Cleveland sports hypocrite if you support throwing Z overboard and not wanting him to return as the Cavs are on the brink of their best shot at a championship AND you whine, moan, and bitch about CC, Cliff Lee, Manny, Thome, the Browns, et al, leaving town. Can't have it both ways.

Unread postby Ea$t $ide » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:54 pm

GodHatesClevelandSports wrote:You're a Cleveland sports hypocrite if you support throwing Z overboard and not wanting him to return as the Cavs are on the brink of their best shot at a championship AND you whine, moan, and bitch about CC, Cliff Lee, Manny, Thome, the Browns, et al, leaving town. Can't have it both ways.

your logic sucks, and here's why:

i don't see a single poster saying they DON'T want him back. but if he decides to go elsewhere? hey man, that's his choice. an i supposed to cry about a guy who's made $130 million in his lifetime?

CC, and Cliff Lee were traded. So who whined about them leaving? was it our fault?

and the browns leaving town? you're seriously trying to say that is on the same level as this?

grow up.
"Meh. Calling me names on the internet is really no big deal, happens all the time." - e0y2e3
Ea$t $ide

Least Favorite Player: Paul Pierce

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:26 pm

East Side with the throwdown grow up smack. I love it when the kids start playing rough. BTW I agree with your take...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Which one of you fuckheads made this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7yecBnltNk&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Nostalgic twits.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby just another fool » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:38 pm

HOLY SHIT! :lmfao: :lmfao:
just another fool

Favorite Player: tyrone hill
Least Favorite Player: tyrone hill

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:40 pm

That. is. AWESOME!
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby scott » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Love that someone spent the time to make that. Hilarious. Only complaint - Magic highlight @ 2:15 made me nauseous.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:14 pm

Z just had a 600k escalator kick in cause of the trade. He's made like 100 mill the last 6 years. He has two young kids he just adopted, and at 37, would prolly love a month off eating at Lola every night.

Plus, I guarantee Gilbert made a nice donation to his favorite charity to get him to take the month off and come back to the team.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:24 pm

PDcavsinsider: Warning. Rumors out there that Wizards are involved in three-way talks with Miami and Utah. Ilgauskas could get traded again. (2 minutes ago from web)
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:
PDcavsinsider: Warning. Rumors out there that Wizards are involved in three-way talks with Miami and Utah. Ilgauskas could get traded again. (2 minutes ago from web)

Just don't see it. The main piece is going to be Boozer to Miami. Washington shouldn't have to matchup salaries with that. They're probably in it to take on expiring's or filler and get a draft pick for the trouble. No way they're getting $10 million in contracts to unload Z's expiring, which they've coveted since Finger Guns did his thing.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

That would be awesome, absolutely awesome.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby KChmura » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:50 pm

maybe im reading to much into this quote but from the wizards website the article ( http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/trade_100217.html ) quotes the wizards president saying

"We feel that we were able to acquire a quality young player in Al, a first round draft choice and a young prospect while putting ourselves in a much better position in terms of the salary cap," said Grunfeld.

he doesnt even mention where Z would fit with the team or how Z was part of the trade other than cap space.
KChmura

Favorite Player: Kevin Kouzmanoff
Least Favorite Player: Rafael Betancourt

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:32 pm

It's too late in the game for a 3-teamer to magically pop up.

Those deals take hours to do and I just don't see it makes any sense for the Wiz.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby rk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:38 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Just don't see it. The main piece is going to be Boozer to Miami. Washington shouldn't have to matchup salaries with that. They're probably in it to take on expiring's or filler and get a draft pick for the trouble. No way they're getting $10 million in contracts to unload Z's expiring, which they've coveted since Finger Guns did his thing.

Not to mention that both those teams would be just as likely to buy him out. Not sure if anyone else has noticed but Z isn't exactly geared to run with Wade or match up in the West.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:39 pm

The ESPN ticker quotes a Jazz source as calling this deal "unlikely" fwiw.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:58 pm

johnhollinger: Looks like Wash just got under the luxury tax and won't need Z's help to get there ... @MrMichaelLee says they're paying Sac to take McGuire (3 minutes ago from web)

NOOOWWW, the Bullets can say :fu:
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby scott » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:
johnhollinger: Looks like Wash just got under the luxury tax and won't need Z's help to get there ... @MrMichaelLee says they're paying Sac to take McGuire (3 minutes ago from web)

Huh? Doesn't this take away any incentive they have to buy out Z? I don't think they are in any hurry to unload him now.

Edit: misread your post. I see you are saying the same thing. They can push for Z to take less in a buy out now.
scott

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:05 pm

scott wrote:
Hi Oktane wrote:

Huh? Doesn't this take away any incentive they have to buy out Z? I don't think they are in any hurry to unload him now.

That was his point Scott. Thw Wiz now dont need to buy out Z and therefore can say F U to the Cavs.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby scott » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:22 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
scott wrote:
Hi Oktane wrote:

That was his point Scott. Thw Wiz now dont need to buy out Z and therefore can say F U to the Cavs.

Yeah. Took me a minute.

Still think it gets done. It just won't get done quickly.
scott

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:28 pm

WojYahooNBA: Wiz will still buyout Ilgauskas, source says, but they've created lot of leverage by getting under tax. He'll have to pay for his freedom. (1 minute ago from web)
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:34 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:That was his point Scott. Thw Wiz now dont need to buy out Z and therefore can say F U to the Cavs.

Except why would they? If they wanted to screw us they'd have never given us Jamo for free in the first place.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby DrPoove » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:35 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:That was his point Scott. Thw Wiz now dont need to buy out Z and therefore can say F U to the Cavs.

Except why would they? If they wanted to screw us they'd have never given us Jamo for free in the first place.

C'mon, Jesse. You're making too much sense. Trying to logic? what are you thinkin'?
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:

Plus I'm not convinced that thier interests rest soley on getting under the Tax line....money is money, it might not be worth double now, but let's not get carried away thinking they have nothing to gain by buying him out.....
JCoz

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:43 pm

JCoz wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:

Plus I'm not convinced that thier interests rest soley on getting under the Tax line....money is money, it might not be worth double now, but let's not get carried away thinking they have nothing to gain by buying him out.....

Kind of. They were barely into the tax before this move; McGuire's salary is 825k, so at most they were only that far into it, and likely not the entire amount. So the most they save in not paying the tax is 825k, but let's say it's 500k.

But, tax revenues are distributed evenly to all teams under, not weighted by amount under. So they are already getting that money. Z could have taken a buyout that would have taken them right under the tax line and the Wiz would have saved that in salary and tax plus gotten the tax revenue. Now he can only save them salary.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby rk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:44 pm

JCoz wrote:Plus I'm not convinced that thier interests rest soley on getting under the Tax line....money is money, it might not be worth double now, but let's not get carried away thinking they have nothing to gain by buying him out.....

Right. Maybe now he just gets bought out for 2 mil savings that he'll make back with the new contract rather than 1 mil savings so he can score cash but he'll still get bought out. They have bigs they want to get time on the floor and at this point they're not about to care whether or not Z gets to sit on the bench for a playoff run.

Besides this way it'll cost the Cavs another 2 mil.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:50 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
JCoz wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:

Kind of. They were barely into the tax before this move; McGuire's salary is 825k, so at most they were only that far into it, and likely not the entire amount. So the most they save in not paying the tax is 825k, but let's say it's 500k.

But, tax revenues are distributed evenly to all teams under, not weighted by amount under. So they are already getting that money. Z could have taken a buyout that would have taken them right under the tax line and the Wiz would have saved that in salary and tax plus gotten the tax revenue. Now he can only save them salary.

I think to look at this clearly we'd have to know how much they could potentially save..

he's probably got a bit more than 5 mil left this season to be paid....

For HIM to not lose money he'd have to get a buyout of at least 3 mil from the wiz, saves them 2 million dollars....how much did they pay to get McGuire off the books?
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:53 pm

rk wrote:
JCoz wrote:Plus I'm not convinced that thier interests rest soley on getting under the Tax line....money is money, it might not be worth double now, but let's not get carried away thinking they have nothing to gain by buying him out.....

Right. Maybe now he just gets bought out for 2 mil savings that he'll make back with the new contract rather than 1 mil savings so he can score cash but he'll still get bought out. They have bigs they want to get time on the floor and at this point they're not about to care whether or not Z gets to sit on the bench for a playoff run.

Besides this way it'll cost the Cavs another 2 mil.

You beat me to it.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:58 pm

I just want to know which one of you knobs made the damned I Love Z video.

I need answers damnit. Otherwise this thread is useless.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:58 pm

JCoz wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
JCoz wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:

I think to look at this clearly we'd have to know how much they could potentially save..

he's probably got a bit more than 5 mil left this season to be paid....

For HIM to not lose money he'd have to get a buyout of at least 3 mil from the wiz, saves them 2 million dollars....how much did they pay to get McGuire off the books?

Right, all I'm saying is that he has less leverage now because he doesn't save them money in any way except by cutting salary. Whereas before, a small decrease in his salary to get just below the cap had a very large effect.

They can potentially save his entire salary if he agrees to a buyout of $0. Or they could save nothing if they just release him. Or any amount in between. It doesn't matter, the only point is Z has less leverage now.

The amount they paid to get rid of McGuire is irrelevant to this. The only ramification is that Z will get a smaller buyout from the Wiz.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:09 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I just want to know which one of you knobs made the damned I Love Z video.

I need answers damnit. Otherwise this thread is useless.

It was me.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Next

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA