Text Size

No Holds Barred

A prime example of the digital divide

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

A prime example of the digital divide

Unread postby Toxicadam » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:46 am

Long story, short: A few news articles are posted talking about Facebook. These stories appear ABOVE the link for the real Facebook login link when you do a Google search for "Facebook login".

Hilarity insues (read the comments):

http://tinyurl.com/yjjhphn

I just can't believe in today's day and age there are so many people that don't understand the basics of how the internet works or functions. Maybe Apple (and the Ipad) are on to something...
Toxicadam

Re: A prime example of the digital divide

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:06 am

Toxicadam wrote:Long story, short: A few news articles are posted talking about Facebook. These stories appear ABOVE the link for the real Facebook login link when you do a Google search for "Facebook login".

Hilarity insues (read the comments):

http://tinyurl.com/yjjhphn

I just can't believe in today's day and age there are so many people that don't understand the basics of how the internet works or functions. Maybe Apple (and the Ipad) are on to something...

90% rule in action.

People need to stop doubting that rule or being surprised when they see it. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 am

What's difference between Facebook and My Space? What purpose do they serve?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:42 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:What's difference between Facebook and My Space? What purpose do they serve?

Facebook crushed MySpace. They're pretty much the same except with a different layout/format (Myspace was more customizable). Basically it's a giant IM interface with lots of time-wasting shit. I think the only goal is to accumulate as many friends as you can, regardless of whether you actually know them or not. Friends = status (apparently).
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:48 am

Isn't MySpace the cesspool that spawned Tela Tequila? She looks like a troll.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:What's difference between Facebook and My Space? What purpose do they serve?

The phenomenon of social networking. It may just be a bunch of Y Generation crap, or, it may offer some insight into the future of human interaction. Many companies are embracing the concept in the work place. Millenials have an interesting trait of willing and wanting (needing?) to share details of their every day lives.

Think of Facebook as a NHB "Getting to know so and so" thread with a better user interface. ;-) ;) :wink:
Last edited by mattvan1 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:15 am

Be interested to see what Rich thinks from a business perspective. I use Facebook almost exclusively to post tWW link and Cavs recaps. I have to believe it's a decent way to expand the visibility of the site and the articles.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby The Tribe Zone » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:22 am

I just can't believe in today's day and age there are so many people that don't understand the basics of how the internet works or functions.

Yeah, it's amazing. I swear most of my buddys are still fighting it, don't want to learn it......

Pisses me off too, because alot of times a simple email can be sent instead of lining up a day to meet and exchange info...I still have these conversations with friends.

Me:"Give me your email, I'll shoot it to you"
Friend:" Duhhhh.....it's.........uhhhh......WWW.
Me:"You dumass, that ain't your email.....you can't do a simple friggin email, can you?"
Friend:"Huh?"
Me:" Jeeeesh.......look at you..."

It gets better...

Me: Got a cell, I'll text it to ya...
Friend: Duhhhh...text??

:gah:
SMF Tribe

Testing a new toy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Shit, what a f'in ride!"
The Tribe Zone

Favorite Player: Mattingly
Least Favorite Player: Canseco

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:04 pm

I only use facebook to keep track of friends and family, sort of like a electronic address book.

Other than that I see at sort of the pointless.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Facebook was created as an offshoot of a Harvard "Facebook" that kept social profiles by dormitory. Mark Zuckerberg and his team expanded it to include all college students and then they finally broadened out to everybody else. When I signed up for Facebook 5 years ago, you had to have a .edu email to even be permitted to sign up.

It was initially designed as a way for Zuckerberg and his financier partner from Harvard to meet girls. He even hacked in to the main Harvard network from each individual dorm to upload all of the pictures for himself and then unify all the dorms. You used to have to be a resident of that dorm to see the people in it. (Ben Mezrich wrote about the creation of Facebook in the book Accidental Billionaires, that's how I know this shit)

It then evolved into a way to keep track of old friends from high school and stay in touch with them as everyone went off to different schools.

Myspace is just a bullshit emo craze to have your own blog. I had one, was never in to it at all. It was just a place to vent about your parents and school and all kinds of other shit. Then it kind of evolved a bit in to a way to check out underground bands, playing off the emo/alt rock people that made up its user base.

I go on Facebook at least 4 or 5 times a day. I don't do any of the bullshit Farmville stuff or any of those other applications. It's just a way to keep up with people and get a hold of people if need be.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Facebook is effing stupid. I already have everyone's gmail addy, which at this point is looking like a lifelong address, that I want. It was one thing when people I didn't remember from high school starting friending me several years back, it was a whole other thing when it was my parents' friends.

By the end, I remember logging on and wondering what, exactly, it was that I was supposed to be doing before I logged off 2 minutes later.

Needless to say, the account has been inactive for quite a while now and I don't miss it at all.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:56 am

Peeker643 wrote:Be interested to see what Rich thinks from a business perspective. I use Facebook almost exclusively to post tWW link and Cavs recaps. I have to believe it's a decent way to expand the visibility of the site and the articles.

Facebook is now the 5th biggest source of traffic for TCF behind STO, Google, Google Images, and Yahoo. And I only post about 20% of our columns on there. Many of our guys post their own columns on there. It's also a great way to promote new things we're doing, brackets, new t-shirts in the store, etc. If I had an advertising budget for TCF, I would be advertising on Facebook as well. The customization of it is excellent. For example, I could set up ads with Facebook where they only showed up on the pages of people with Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes somewhere in their bio as an interest ... and then within that, only pay per click. So the impressions are free, and I'm only paying when people visit.

Facebook in general, Facebook personally, it is what it is. People that think its stupid, I get it. People have different values on how to spend valuable free time. People that spend all day on there and post status updates every 15 minutes ... I kinda almost feel sorry for those people.

But for how I use it? I really like it. TCF aside. Personally. Check it maybe every other day. Have all the annoying and serial-update people hidden so I don't even see any of their drivel, and I am only seeing updates and posts from people I want to. Like maybe 25% of my "friends". I can be at the zoo with my kids, take a picture, and 5 min later get a FB post back to me on my Blackberry from friends and family on it. I've caught up with tons of old high school mates and former co-workers. And it's a good way to keep caught up on the lives of the friends and family members you want to, while blocking out the ones you could give two shits about.

That's the cool thing about Facebook, you can use it how you want to use it. Most of the people that bash it haven't been on there, or think you're forced to subject yourself to updates every 5 min about some asshole taking a shower or getting a snack.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 pm

Swerb wrote:But for how I use it? I really like it. TCF aside. Personally. Check it maybe every other day. Have all the annoying and serial-update people hidden so I don't even see any of their drivel, and I am only seeing updates and posts from people I want to. Like maybe 25% of my "friends". I can be at the zoo with my kids, take a picture, and 5 min later get a FB post back to me on my Blackberry from friends and family on it. I've caught up with tons of old high school mates and former co-workers. And it's a good way to keep caught up on the lives of the friends and family members you want to, while blocking out the ones you could give two shits about.

+1. It's been pretty valuable to me - I've moved all around the country over the past few years, and 90% of my friends/family are back in NEO. This is such an easy way to keep in touch with people without spending all of my free time on the telephone.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Return to No Holds Barred