Text Size

No Holds Barred

Phillips and Woods start a bowling team

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Phillips and Woods start a bowling team

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Steve Phillips has finally admitted the truth about his sex addiction and he's taking full responsibility for his "disease." He spent time at the same clinic as Tiger; a place for broken people who are "stuggling to find answers."

I guess if I ruined my life for that broad I'd be looking for an explanation myself. Addiction just sounds better than "I was horny and will nail anything."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4896683
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Phillips and Woods start a bowling team

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Suggested team names:

Picking Up Spares
7-10 Splits
Steve Threw A Gutter Ball
Backdoor (or Brooklyn for those familiar with bowling lingo) Strikes
PhilWood and the Head Pins
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Thurgood: I'm here today because I'm addicted..to marijuana.
Rehab patient: You in here 'cuz of marijuana?! Man, this is some BULLSHIT!
Bob Saget/Cocaine addict: Marijuana is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke.
Rehab patient: I seen him!
Bob Saget/Cocaine addict: Now that's an addiction, man. You ever suck some dick for marijuana?
Thurgood: No, I can't say I have.
Bob Saget/Cocaine addict: I didn't think so.
Last edited by jfiling on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Man Rehabs find ways to make money off everything.

AA being the stupidest joke of all.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:28 pm

jfiling wrote:Rehab patient: I seen him!

I love this whole scene but this line in particular always slayed me.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:04 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Man Rehabs find ways to make money off everything.

CDT...just wondering if you have the faintest notion of what AA is about...how it is (self) funded or how it operates....for you to talk about it like it's no different than for-profit enterprises like the Betty Ford Clinic or whatever else...simply shows that you don't know what you're talking about.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:13 pm

wiz1001 wrote:

CDT...just wondering if you have the faintest notion of what AA is about...how it is (self) funded or how it operates....for you to talk about it like it's no different than for-profit enterprises like the Betty Ford Clinic or whatever else...simply shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

AA has it's good points and bad points. The good is that it's non-profit and supported by the people who use it. The bad is that it's close to a religious cult and that judges can force you to go. The latter point isn't SO horrible, because you do have the choice of AA or jail, but there are other organizations that work like AA without the whole "higher power" aspect that don't qualify for many (most) judges.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:13 pm

jfiling wrote:
wiz1001 wrote:

AA has it's good points and bad points. The good is that it's non-profit and supported by the people who use it. The bad is that it's close to a religious cult and that judges can force you to go. The latter point isn't SO horrible, because you do have the choice of AA or jail, but there are other organizations that work like AA without the whole "higher power" aspect that don't qualify for many (most) judges.

I should've clarified my statement, Dan. That was my bad. I think the way AA is used by courts to be nothing more than court sanctioned arm twisting. Saying "oh you go to a Religious group or you go to jail" is a joke. I got two friends that were given that choice (I mistakenly thought they were ordered to AA in a post I deleted) for drunk in public charges (more than one) and the only reason they went was to avoid jail. They were not alcoholics, despite AA's insistence they were "in denile". They just went through the motions to appease the court, they went out and had beers after the meetings. They got nothing out of it.

AA also says "alcoholism is a disease" which is a steaming pile of bullshit. You indoctrinate people in this crap and they start to think it's true and they're just the victim of something they can't control.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Hey, CDT...sorry if I reacted defensively. I've got a bit of a soft spot for AA. If you'll indulge me for a minute, I'll explain.

I'm not disclosing any deep dark secret here if I admit that I'm a recovering alcoholic, 14 years sober next week. And without going into a ton of detail, I'll just say that AA helped me get and stay sober after I had proven unable to do it by myself.

That said, I agree with you on the notion that alcoholism isn't a "disease" in the sense that it's something you can "catch". I prefer to think of it as a character flaw...the inability to control one's drinking is, well...a lack of self-discipline...at least to start with...which in time can and does become a very real physical addiction, no less than nicotine, heroin or painkillers. I do believe that some people can be predisposed to alcoholism, genetically or psychologically, or both. But that's beside the point here...

I'd just like to make two points about what AA says and what they don't say. I attended many AA meetings in many different venues in the first couple years of my sobriety, and I never heard the "alcoholism is a disease" talk...either in the written materials or in the conversation in the rooms. The whole point of AA is the taking of personal responsibility for your own inability to drink normally like the majority of people in the general population. There's no victimhood mentality permitted in AA rooms. Your fellow alcoholics simply won't put up with that stuff. Nobody got you here but you...(and of course, the occasional judge)

And concerning "the God thing" as people in the program refer to it, I have never seen anyone pressured, indoctrinated or cajoled to accept any concept of God that they didn't have when they hit the door. The idea of the Higher Power is referred to just that vaguely so that people can define it in any way they wish...or not at all...based on their circumstance. The pathetic state many alcoholics are in by the time they finally get to an AA meeting doesn't lend itself to lectures about God. The first and only concern of the AA program for the new person is helping them stay sober...for today...and then we'll talk about what they're doing tomorrow.

Some people who are resistant to embrace any such "power" as a way to help them get sober, choose instead to think of the group in their local AA meeting itself as the "higher power" that can help them live their life without alcohol. The whole AA concept is built around honesty with yourself, humility about your own flaws and character defects...gratitude for the things you have in your life that you haven't screwed up (yet) with your alcohol use..etc. No "disease" talk.

The AA concept of higher power is as simple as admitting to yourself that you're in a situation that you can't solve by yourself. Relying on your own best instincts and devices is what got you there in the first place.

There's a saying...(one of many little aphorisms in AA...like "one day at a time" etc) that "AA isn't a program for people who need it...it's a program for people who want it" And that's where the inconsistency comes in of having it be a destination chosen by judges to mandate attendance for alcohol-related law-breakers. I met many people in AA who were court-ordered into the program by a judge, and who were grateful to that judge every day for literally saving their lives. Others came only because they needed a signature once a week for a month or two in order to get their drivers licenses back. I'm sure many resented the hell out of the implication that they needed help with their drinking habits, and were convinced before they ever attended a meeting that AA was not for people like them. As soon as they could, they left and never came back. Which is fine.

I guess I'm conflicted about it being a destination for judges' sentences, because I've personally seen the program help dozens, if not hundreds of people who got there only because a judge forced them to go. There are obviously many, many more who got nothing out of it at all...and who (legitimately) felt it was an unwarranted imposition on them. And I totally understand how people can be put off by..say, a unison Lord's Prayer at the end of virtually every meeting...or an overriding theme that people might require "help" of whatever kind from outside of themselves.

By the same token, I never felt like I needed to watch movies of horrific traffic fatalities and smashed up cars simply because I got a few speeding tickets too close together. You break laws, you do what the system says you should have as your penalty. I went to AA on my own, not because I was sentenced into it. I never got a DUI...(which is one of the great miracles of my life so far) but I understand how it's definitely not for everybody.

I guess judges know it can help, and probably can't hurt...and maybe they've found it preferable to the available alternatives. Best guess. Thanks in advance for humoring me.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby jordan kramer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 pm

what is more embarrassing, having the whole world know that you got fired for banging this warthog Image
or assembling the 2003 Mets?
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:13 pm

Hey, CDT...sorry if I reacted defensively.

No worries, Dan. I'm abrassive and I know it.

Excellent post, it's one of the more informative things i've ever read on this site.

Congrats on your sobriety.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Rehab is for quitters.

10+ posts and no one said it, so WTF
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm

jordan kramer wrote:what is more embarrassing, having the whole world know that you got fired for banging this warthog Image
or assembling the 2003 Mets?

Take it from one who knows, Jordan... girls who look like that can be a LOT of fun in the sack. They can't afford to skate by on their looks. They're like Avis- they try harder.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:57 pm

Take it from one who knows, Jordan... girls who look like that can be a LOT of fun in the sack. They can't afford to skate by on their looks. They're like Avis- they try harder.

By sack do you mean the brown bag you have to put over their heads to make it easier to pretend you're not fucking a bridge troll?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:05 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:By sack do you mean the brown bag you have to put over their heads to make it easier to pretend you're not fucking a bridge troll?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSRoyn0DMDE&feature=related[/youtube]

What, do I look like Brad Pitt or something? I ain't exactly the catch of the year my damn self. Besides, big girls need love too.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:59 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:What, do I look like Brad Pitt or something? I ain't exactly the catch of the year my damn self. Besides, big girls need love too.

I hear ya. I'm no great looking guy either. I got lucky and scored so far out of my league it's not funny. One of my friends is into "thicker" women. He says alot of them do just about anything.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:What, do I look like Brad Pitt or something? I ain't exactly the catch of the year my damn self. Besides, big girls need love too.

I hear ya. I'm no great looking guy either. I got lucky and scored so far out of my league it's not funny. One of my friends is into "thicker" women. He says alot of them do just about anything.

One of my good friends used to say: "If you are a girl and I wouldn't fuck you...you should be ashamed of yourself."

My friend is a very wise man.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby jordan kramer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:20 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

One of my good friends used to say: "If you are a girl and I wouldn't fuck you...you should be ashamed of yourself."

hahaha this literally made my day
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:24 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Wow I overlooked this big bowl of epic win.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:59 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

I will be quoting this many, many times.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Return to No Holds Barred