Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Valentine's Day Noose Beginning to Tighten

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Valentine's Day Noose Beginning to Tighten

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:47 pm

So, what do you TCF cassanovas do on Valentine's Day to keep the old lady off your back and on hers?

Nada? Obligatory candy, flowers, dinner...? Something more imaginative?

P.S. Don't panic, it's not for another week yet.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Re: Valentine's Day Noose Beginning to Tighten

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm getting her a pair of ear rings.

She knows she doesn't have to buy me shit.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:44 am

7:30 reservation at Maggiano's. No gifts. No bullshit. Just good Italian food and a night with my best friend.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:55 am

Skating Tripods wrote:Just good Italian food and a night with my best friend.

This was being talked about on the sports talk I listen to out here, I need to start a NHB, I am not going to gum up this thread with it. Unless of course you are going to Maggianos with one of your boys for Vday ;-) ;) :wink:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:31 am

what do you TCF cassanovas do on Valentine's Day to keep the old lady off your back and on hers?

Give her a black eye, bitch knew we were out of syrup before she made the pancakes.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby papacass » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:21 pm

Last year, went to see "Wicked" at Playhouse Square. That was the night Ben Wallace broke his leg in Houston. I leave the hand of fate in charge for one night.... (And I don't even own a Ben Wallace jersey.)

This year, I have a business trip this week (semi-ironically in Houston) and she's out of town next weekend. That means Valentine's Day is getting celebrated with a hastily-constructed dinner out next week.

So I guess that's a long way of saying I'm no help at all.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 am

Papa Cass wrote: This year, I have a business trip this week (semi-ironically in Houston)

Let me know if you need a tour guide.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:04 am

mattvan1 wrote:
Papa Cass wrote: This year, I have a business trip this week (semi-ironically in Houston)

How does on tour guide Houston?

"It's hot as hell at this street corner and the humidity makes you want to cry, but at this street corner you are out of the sun so it is just lung choking awful!"
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:27 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

How does on tour guide Houston?

"It's hot as hell at this street corner and the humidity makes you want to cry, but at this street corner you are out of the sun so it is just lung choking awful!"

It's really not that bad September-May. June, July, August tend to be a bit brutal on the hot/humid side. Like any climate, you adjust after a while. You need a tour guide in Houston because the city is a patchwork of cool neighborhoods and ghastly urban sprawl. It has a lot to offer, but you kinda need to know where to look. Just to keep this on topic, a really good restaurant city.
mattvan1

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:26 am

mattvan1 wrote:It's really not that bad September-May. June, July, August tend to be a bit brutal on the hot/humid side. Like any climate, you adjust after a while. You need a tour guide in Houston because the city is a patchwork of cool neighborhoods and ghastly urban sprawl. It has a lot to offer, but you kinda need to know where to look. Just to keep this on topic, a really good restaurant city.

People around work talk about how good the museums are in Houston. Do you recommend any of them? Any restaurants in particular? Thinking about a weekend trip sometime in the next couple of months before the weather turns into e0y2e3's description.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:25 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:It's really not that bad September-May. June, July, August tend to be a bit brutal on the hot/humid side. Like any climate, you adjust after a while. You need a tour guide in Houston because the city is a patchwork of cool neighborhoods and ghastly urban sprawl. It has a lot to offer, but you kinda need to know where to look. Just to keep this on topic, a really good restaurant city.

People around work talk about how good the museums are in Houston. Do you recommend any of them? Any restaurants in particular? Thinking about a weekend trip sometime in the next couple of months before the weather turns into e0y2e3's description.

As with all major cities, you can price yourself out of the market quickly, but I would try and stay downtown at one of two small hotels, The Icon or The Lancaster. The Menil collection is definitely worth a visit, as is the Fresco Chapel. The Icon has a great restaurant, VOICE. Other good eats near downtown, in the Montrose, are Hugo's (upscale, authentic Mexican), Da Marco's (northern Italian), and Mark's (new American). Lots of good pubs and ice houses in and around The Montrose and Lower Kirby. Not nearly as funky as Austin, but not a bad city all in all.
mattvan1

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:36 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
exiledbuckeye wrote:

As with all major cities, you can price yourself out of the market quickly, but I would try and stay downtown at one of two small hotels, The Icon or The Lancaster. The Menil collection is definitely worth a visit, as is the Fresco Chapel. The Icon has a great restaurant, VOICE. Other good eats near downtown, in the Montrose, are Hugo's (upscale, authentic Mexican), Da Marco's (northern Italian), and Mark's (new American). Lots of good pubs and ice houses in and around The Montrose and Lower Kirby. Not nearly as funky as Austin, but not a bad city all in all.

Thanks for the recs. Austin is funky for sure, and has character, but we don't have so much in the way of "culture" here. And I've never been to Houston so I think it's time to explore the city.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry